Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 PTS assembly I'm rusty...

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 PTS assembly I'm rusty...

Old 09-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Ectomorph26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 PTS assembly I'm rusty...

Considering my first plane ever was a kit I feel like a complete idiot at the moment. My new moto is one good mistake follows another.

Definitely have to re-hone my building skills and remember directions are meant to be glanced over not followed. Along with measure twice glue or cut once rule I seem to have forgotten.

Started with the servo's for the ailerons. Ok simple I line up the servo on the hatch, mark it's outline, and glue in the pre-cut blocks. After drying I find the servo won't fit in between the blocks. In my attempt to insure a perfect fit I think I traced a little under the edges of the servo. Result is of course me having to remove 1 block from each cover and re-glue them. Which isn't fun or easy when it's 30 minute epoxy.

Ok so manage to do that with no permanent damage to the hatches or blocks. So the re-glued blocks have dried time to drill the holes for the servo bolts. Just like the directions I take a drill bit and drill the blocks using the servo as a template to mark the location for the holes. Uh oh my servo's don't mount with bolts instead they have self tapping wood screws. ARGH!

Oh well it's off to the store to pick up some small bolts to mount the servo's. I'd rather use bolts than self tapping screws anyway. Anyway this is no way a bash of their instructions or anything they're fine. I imagine the hardware they used in the instructions build was simply different than what I have.

The good news is it looks like my new inverted muffler for my Magnum .40 is going to allow me to keep everything inside of the cowl aside from the two exhaust tubes that will come out of the bottom of course. While it's not the normal way to mount an engine in the PTS I'm chalking it up to a learning experience before I step up to more complex warbird setups.

All in all I'm quiet pleased with the ease of assembly, and the design. Especially the fact the wings can be either permanently connected or allowed to be seperated to help make it a little more compact for transport.

I'll post pictures when it's all together just in case anyone wants to see one without a motor sticking up out of the cowl. I think it will really improve it's looks although it's a given this plane is far from a scale model.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:53 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Hangar 9 PTS assembly I'm rusty...

Bolts to mount servo's.......I don't get that at all. The PTS is so easy it's not even funny. No need to modify anything IMHO. How long ago was that first kit of yours? I'd say good luck but the PTS is so simple you don't really need any luck. You actually might be in the wrong thread to talk about a trainer.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Brineymolly

Here is a ongoing 100+ page thread on this plane...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3102050/tm.htm

Old 09-16-2006, 02:48 PM
fancman
My Feedback: (16)

WOW!!! Hard to believe that many pages devoted to such a simple airplane. It is a great trainer though. My last student did great with it.
ORIGINAL: Brineymolly

Here is a ongoing 100+ page thread on this plane...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3102050/tm.htm

Old 09-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Ectomorph26

I'm not flying it as a trainer I'm past that point of flying albeit probably not that far. lol.

I dunno how you can't get the need for bolts to mount servo's. The directions said to drill the blocks I drilled the blocks. The hardware that came with my servo's used self tapping wood screws instead of bolts.

The rest of the plane is a breeze just like I said the hardware they used in the instructions isn't the same as the hardware I am using. Different radio gear, different engine and mounting, etc. This isn't the ready to go version it's just the ARF.

It's been a little over a year since I've flown and or built anything as well thus I am rusty. Just getting restarted in the hobby after a few job changes, moving around a couple of times, etc.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:51 PM
E Henry

They probably mean to "pre drill" the block for the self tapping screws. If you don't the blocks will split. Also put a little CA on the "pre drilled" hole to prevent it from stripping out. Let the CA fully cure before mounting servo.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Ectomorph26

Yeah thanks for reminding me about CA'ing the holes.

I realised after I drilled the blocks that I should have just pre-drilled them but I drilled all the way through. I just went and picked up some little bolts and nuts at the store to mount them. Should be extra sturdy now lol.

Basically it was a brain fart on my part plus I was kind of in a hurry trying to have it ready for this weekend at the time.