Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

yellow aircraft spitfire

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

yellow aircraft spitfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 04:45 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yellow aircraft spitfire

anyone know if the yellow aircraft spitfire flys as great as they say? the gear are close to the CG a problem with nosing over? any info would be great. i have built several warbirs "big guys" like byron's corsair, ziroli's p-38, ziroli's p-40 , so if you guys need some info on them just drop me a mail and i will be happy to help you out, thanks , ron
Old 02-06-2002, 12:24 AM
L454S
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spit

Yes it does fly that good and has nice scale outlines. I flew mine with a G62 and it was a rocket. Yes it does tip over in grass, but this is easy to fix just by shimming the gear to cant forward a bit. I sold mine at Bomber Field last September and wish I still had it.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:48 AM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Never met a spit that did not fly great!

I agree! slant the gear a bit forward.... and don't yank the rudder to force a turn, you could get a bit of dirt on the tip and the result is a noseover.

Here she comes..... look out!

fw190
Old 02-06-2002, 12:26 PM
warbird_1

thanks guys i kinda thought you were going to say that. i was going to shim the gear but wanted to see how it was going to behave first. i will do that before i fly . thanks again , ron
Old 02-06-2002, 12:27 PM
warbird_1

oh, i'm also going with the recomened engine , a 38 . i think it will do ok .
Old 02-06-2002, 03:55 PM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Default Yellow spit

Warbird_1, I finished mine about 3 months ago and have been having lots of fun flying it. I have not nosed it over yet, I fly off of asphalt and have had no problems with it nosing over at all. I have run it off the runway into the grass on several occasions however and it did not show any tendency to nose over at all. In the air it is an absolute dream to fly with no bad habits at all. Just be sure you have the CG correct. Also I have seen several fly with the reccomended G38 and you will be wishing for more power very soon. I advise to use at least something in the 50cc range to make this bird come alive, you wont regret it. BTW, I used the robart HD gear on my spit and it works great. There are lots of pics on my webpage of the spitfire construction.
Cheers,
EvanQ.
http://www.homestead.com/evoshangar/home.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2375_623.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	2337  
Old 02-06-2002, 04:16 PM
warbird_1

evo, i got you beat. i've already been to your web site as a friend found it a pasted the link on to me . i have to say your birds are really nice. i too went for robarts gear cause i like them alot .
i'm bummed about the g-38 . i just bought it . i might go for a brission 2.4 to keep it light. i'll do some taxi test to see if she's tippy. as far as the cg. you put yours right on the money? thanks for the info you guys . ron
Old 02-06-2002, 04:38 PM
fw190d9
My Feedback: (1)

Default Spit CG

Ron, I balanced mine to be slightly nose heavy with the gear retracted. What I did was to mark the cg on the top of the wing with pencil and place the airplane upside-down in my warbird stand. I then lifted the entire airplane with my thumbs placed right on the pencil mark. Get ready to add some weight, with the G-38 you will have to add approx 3-4 lbs of lead. Try to move every thing forward to help and try to lighten the tail if you can. Consider selling or trading the g-38 for something larger and heavier. I would much rather put a heavy engine than add lead weights.
Evan Q.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:28 PM
fw190
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G38 or 2.4 will fly it, but ... not much fun on a loop...

Even with a bigger motor, I recommend you put plenty of lightening holes on the provided rudder and elevator plies.

fw190