Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

????? Topflight P-51 85" What's Yours Weight????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

????? Topflight P-51 85" What's Yours Weight????

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:05 PM
F18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ????? Topflight P-51 85" What's Yours Weight????

WIILY I JUST LAID BATTERIES WERE I APPOX' HAD THEM . THEIR NOT STRAIGHT AND NEAT OOPS! SENDING MORE PIC"S HERES THE FIELD WERE WE FLY MEESING AROUND WITH GLIDER!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27283.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	743587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20796.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	743588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10758.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	743589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87207.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	743590  
Old 08-17-2007, 12:02 AM
willey
My Feedback: (32)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! nice field!! how long is your runway?

Your mustang looks great! just make sure you put anything you can as far forward as you can, double-double check your balance point from the plans-add the weight that you need as far forward as you can, thats all you can do.

I made a form/box out of light plywood scraps, (I used CA glue) - inside dimensions of form/box was made to fit behind the spinner bulkhead, I melted enough lead to fill the form, let it cool, break away plywood form then shaved away to fit, drilled through bulkhead and into the lead, I used 2 small screws one for each side, screw in to test fit- makesure the screws pull the lead tight against the bulkhead, remove screws and lead and I applied Zap-A-Goo to the lead weight and re-screw to bulkhead.

My weight needed was about 1/2 lb. so it fit real nice behind the spinner bulkhead, now for 2 lbs. you will probley have to come up with something a little different, just try to get it as close to the front as possible, further forward less weight needed.

Just to let you know I had everything (batteries, receiver, on-board battery) placed were it was easy to get at (under the wing but forward), put it all together then balanced it, [X(]I needed alot of weight to balance, SO I thought "I hate too" -but- "I have to" - I took it all apart and moved it all the way to the back of firewall, saved more than I thought, Time well spent
Old 08-17-2007, 07:33 PM
F18

HI willy here are more pics the plane is what i think is balanced approx 114.4 ozs`it came down a little man!!! please look at my jigs tell me what you think please if you see a problem tell me maid them last night .well change subject the flying field is huge it
's lake shawneedel' river is at base of mt.s in back ground a rc club alows us pa residents to fly her along as we are coverd by ama !!!cool ok talk to you!!

Name:	Qn38594.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	744125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64967.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	744126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55407.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	744127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi17012.jpg
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	744128   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10497.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	744129  
Old 08-17-2007, 07:59 PM
willey

looks good, you want to make sure your a little nose heavy (slightly) then you'll be good. I balanced mine upright which I probley should have done it inverted like your doing, but anyway's I had it sitting on the jig held it by the spinner in the level possision-let it go and it so slightly falls nose down. that's what I did, and it flew perfect I thought. I might try down the road to move the CG a little, but for know it works fine.

what's the 114.4oz? is that the weight it took to balance? tad over 7lbs?

51 looks nice!! did you get a overall weight yet with the lead you need to balance?

willey
Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 PM
F18

Hi willy answer to your qestion no 114.4 =ozs 1pound 14ozs balance weight. well moved every battery up front as far as possible . still wants to balance out 1pound 14.4 droped a little . must be rudder thats at the end of seesaw!!!! put nickel on it when balancing amazing what nikel will do to balance! well waiting for digital scale to arrive see what it weights .i used .056 glass z-poxie cut z-poxie 50% alcohol brushed thin layer on cloth sanded add light layer .well please keep writing to me if you get any ideas ok!t hanks willy
Old 08-17-2007, 09:04 PM
willey

make sure if falls to the nose - charge it & fly it!! It will be fine!!

build another rudder in the winter and re-balance then

let me know how the maiden works out. when are flying it???

Here my experience so far, Keep in mine here our very short grass runway is approx. 3-350' long, my first flight was with 0 wind and I had a to high of an idle w/3/4 flaps not a good idea, comes in way to hot! NOW the 2nd flight I had about 5-8mph wind much better/easier for the landing and I also set the idle WAY down this time, also w/3/4 flaps -- perfect landing!!

The take off - simple -(this is once trimmed out) if you want short takeoff (about 40') use 1/2 flaps, if you want a NICE long takeoff- use no flaps.
I'm guessin a perfect/realistic looking take off - use about 1/4 flaps ease the power up to about 70% and ride that baby out to about 300' and she'll be ready to Rock!!!! Well that's what the is plan anyways next time out.
Have only a couple flights on it so far, FYI it's a piece of cake to fly thou, at 1/2 throttle it flies very smooooth/scale looking like it should be!

good luck
willey
Old 08-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Johnny C!

willey!

Beautiful Bird!

My kit finished in monocoat, Robart's, G-45,
working inner gear doors, cockpit kit & a GI
Joe for a pilot came in at 23 pounds. This
is the one that I haven't flown in 5 years.

I always thought that if it survived a few seasons
flying, I would strip, glass & paint it. I have drop
tanks, too, but I haven't installed them yet. I may
do that if I glass it.

She's a beaut! Take care!

Johnny C!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:07 PM
willey

Thank you JohnnyC, yours sound very nice as it is, nice setup!! If you would post a pic of it in the thread below, check it out! we need more mustangs

next flight I'm planning to fly with the wing tanks so I'll let you know they work out.

ATTENTION ALL P-51's - The Gathering of P-51 Mustangs and Legends
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=6252298

Thanks Again
willey
Old 08-18-2007, 10:38 PM
F18

HI WILLY YEA I THINK FILLING IN BETWEEN RIBS WITH BALSA ON RUDDER SO I COULD GLASS IT RESIN @PAINT CLOTH IS THE BALANCING WEIGHT FACTOR! WHAT DID YOU GUYS DO WITH RUDDER? IT LOOKS TO GOOD TO BE MONOKOTE!!!!! I DID MONOKOTE RUDDER ORIGINALY DIDN"T LIKE THE LOOK AFTER GLASSING 95% OF PLANE. WHEN STARTING THIS BUILD IF I KNEW WHAT I KNOW NOW WOULD HAVE EITHER MAID RIBS BELOW THE LEADING EDGE SO I WOULD HAVE ROOM FOR SOLID SHEET OF BALSA OR SOME OTHER MATERIAL !!i pretty sure this is factor with nose weight. i will let you know first maiden flight. Hey how hard was that canopy from areotec to install? MIGHT INSTALL WINTER . YOUR HELP HAS BEEN GREATLY APPRECIATED!! I THANK YOU!! WILL WRITE IN COUPLE OF DAYS WILLY THIS IS FIRST SEMI SCALE BUILD YOU KNOW !! I THINK I'M DOING A PRETTY GOOD JOB? WELL THANKS AGAIN!!BYE
Old 08-21-2007, 08:59 PM
prop wash

Willey,that is really a great looking Stang.I have robarts full house and a Moki 210 in mine and she is about 21# and flies great.I had a Big beautifull Doll last year but got shot down.This year I have another TFGSP51 arc that I finnished and she is just about the same and that Moki pulls her along great.My wife and I are planning on going to the Gathering of the Mustangs in Ohio,should be great.Tom

Name:	Yv66242.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	746737  
Old 08-21-2007, 11:39 PM
willey

F18, you'd never know that was your first scale job! looks great!!

you asked about the rudder, it's covered using the silk & dope method, and the canopy frame is homemade with brass rails mounted in the fuse, plastic i-beam mounted on canopy. The Aerotech canopy should work thou, just double check with aerotech on the width -because I think the TF fuse is wider (not as scale as the aerotech mustang). """I would love to own an Aerotech 51"""

Here's a couple other threads I started that might help you out also.

Questions/Issue I had with the Robart retracts:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_49...tm.htm#4906857

Canopy shots can be seen here post #13:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_47...tm.htm#4748562

prop wash, Thank's for the compliment!!
Is that you standing next to "your" excaliber?? she's a beuuuutie!!!!, pot a few pics of your TF stangs, would enjoy seeing them. I'm also planning to be there, once in a lifetime experience!!
Old 08-23-2007, 06:27 PM
F18

Hi willy---- man you made canopy rails! nice job again i like to do inner gear doors but i like the canopy operational first. As i to have opto ingnition brd behind seat air gauge smart fly that was fun programing in ! likes full atv. Theirs something about this plane you know what i mean caint explain it p-51 with these body lines i love jets built a couple but somthing always brings me back to the p-51 . YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? VERY INGINUS WITH NOSE WEIGHT /CANOPY WILLY /MARK SPELL CHECK ON?OFF? OH WELL JUST WANT TO WRITE BACK THANK YOU GUY"S . I NEVER WORKED WITH SILK AND DOPE ? ONLY FIBER GLASS WAS THAT THE ACTUAL MATERIAL? SOLO TEX? THIS IS AREA 51 NOW !!!!HA! . WILLY HAVE A VIDEO REAL P-51 SCREAMING IN A DIVE IF YOU LIKE IT ILL SEND IT OK BYE THANKS KEEP INFO COMIN IN BYE !!!!
Old 08-24-2007, 10:23 PM
F18

Willy thanks for canopy threads vantastic did you have to mill channels? is that a aero tec dash ? wait you guys probably maid it right!!! ha gee's man just building the kit is a long haul you know. you guy's are creative you have all the upgrades!! it's like having the camaro ss-# or the gt mustang w|427 motor! BUT YOU MAID THE PARTS OUTSTANDING!!! WELL WILL TALK TO YOU SOON THANKS AGAIN BYE!
Old 08-24-2007, 11:31 PM
willey

F18, YOUR TOO FUNNNNNY!! far from an SS or GT!!! I'm still laughin hard for me to type!!!

Thanks thou!

Are you gettin-er done dude??? How we makin out there, did you fly it yet??
Old 08-25-2007, 07:13 PM
F18

Willy you guys are area 51 !!!!!! you have little green aliens in your work shop come on !!! how the hell do you put those dam smily faces in ??// im not computer dumb!! i built a-p51 and can"t give you a smile face !!! well i probaly did now ha!!! well any way striped down rudder weighted the peices 1.7 oz willy i dont think thats to bad . that was wood peciecs glass cloth . Now i lowed hight of ribs 1-16th for clerance of a full sheet balsa fit it in nice! kept shape of rudder by making 4additional ribs to support sheet at the top of rudder and bottom looks good lighter ! i like to try new ideas. THAHTS HOW YOU GUYS BECAME AREA 51 HA !!!!!! I EVEN TRIED MAKING GLASS SHEETS DIDN"T LIKE THE LOOK AND DIFFICULT TO SAND OUT .You know the arf kits i think come out lighter because the body piecs aren't solid wood like our kits and finish we have. Is that correct willy ? well will glass rudder sun. that canopy blows me away guys !!! getting nasty stomes in stroudburg right now you to!! well i wil keep writing willy mark bye .OH YEA DID YOU EVER CHEK OUT EARTH LINKS P-51 SCREAMING VIDEO?
Old 08-27-2007, 02:22 PM
F18

hey willy i figued out smily faces her they come!!!!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:48 PM
F18

Hi willy could you tell me how to locate canopy rails? also did you lower sides of fuse for these rails? any infor would be appreciated thanks. Yea aero tec model is sweet but we built ours from square blocks and sticks!!!! YOUR TREAD ON CANOPY WAS GREAT JUST NEED A LITTLE HELP I DIDN'T KNOW HOW LONG RAILS SHOULD BE . I MAID THEM ABOUT 6" FOR SIDES AND 6.5" REAR IT JUST SEEMS YOU LOWERED YOUR SIDES FOR PIN LOCATIONS ? WELL THANKS FOR YOUR HELP BYE!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:09 PM
willey

the 3 rails in the fuse are brass "square" tubing (K&S brand) not sure off hand what size thou. The 3 small pieces on the canopy is called "Plastisrtruct" it's a grey plactic I-beam material that will fit inside the brass square tubing, you take a dremel tool w/grinding disk and cut a slot wide enough for the I-beam to slide throu. Be patient, It's alot of tinkering and figuring out, trial & error type thing.[:@] also the sides were cut down I believe the thickness of the brass tubing. Also take note the on the bottom of canopy has 1/64 ply glued to the inside to stiffen it, forgot to add that to the diagram below.

Hope this helps?
also study those pics in the other thread too!

[X(][X(]ACTUALLY!!! The Brass square tubing IS Brass "Rectangular" tubing not square

Name:	Ur52277.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	758734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64570.jpg
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	758735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95150.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	758736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56206.jpg
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	758737   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83277.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	758738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71208.jpg
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	758739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31733.jpg
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	758740  
Old 09-08-2007, 03:49 PM
F18

Hello willy /mark thank you again i will always give you guy"s credit for canopy design nice! WELL I HAD KS RECT; STOCK ON HAND SPENT THE WHOLE DAY MAKING RAILS I ALSO FOUND G-GAUGE TRAIN TRACK CUT A SECTION OUT ONLY HAD TO GRIND A LITTLE TO FIT WORKED OUT GREAT. WHAT A DIFFERANCE YOUR DESIGN ADDS TO THIS MODEL!!!! iF YOU GUYS EVER GET A MODEL TEC MUSTANG IT WOULD BE TAKEN TO NEW LEVELS .ONE MORE QESTION WHAT GLUES TO FASTEN THE PINS? THANKS FOR YOUR TIME GREATLY APPRECIATED OK BYE !!!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:11 PM
willey

Thanks F18, but this design has been used for along time by many others other then us, wish I could take the credit, but not our design.

As for the glue we used ZAP-A-GOO, this will hold anything on anything I think, got to be careful thou it might distort/melt the plastic, it very strong glue, test it on scrap piece of plastic first. It takes a long while to dry, so you will not see any effects of distortion for a while.

Also make sure you round the edges of the I-beam material so it won't snag on the box rail, it'll slide much easier that way.

this canopy project is very time consuming,[>:] but worth the effort. I think that's why you do not see them that much.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:21 PM
F18

OK WILLY THANKS FOR ADDED INFORMATION IT"S COMING OUT GOOD WHOLE DAY MAKING RAILS SATERDAY .Then waiting till sunday for fiting information from you guy"s and your timing was perfect i said to my wife am" going to wait till i hear from willy !! cut fuse fit side rails in didn"t glue yet set at 90degrees straight right? well they look great nice slide motion did you put locating pins were canopy meets dash? i"m sorry hitting you with all these details qestions! there"s a intresting p-51 that poped up rc universe TF DANCA IT LOOKS LIKE YOU WERE RIGHT AREOTEC CANOPY FRAME LOOKS UNDER SIZE LIKE YOU SAID NICE P-51 TO!!SIX SHOOTER DIFFERENT .WELL WEIGHT MY P-51 COMES IN AT 25.9 LBS WITHOUT NOSE WEIGHT! HAVE TO FINILIZE BALANCING YET PURCHASED BALANCING JIG JUST TO MAKE SURE HAVE FORWARD ROCK. WELL LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DID FOR FRONT CANOPY TO DASH OK YOUR GREAT HELP AGAIN !!!OK BYE WILLY
Old 09-08-2007, 10:42 PM
willey

the rails have to be the same angle as the canopy angle (canopy is not 90*) look at the picture close - to see were abouts the I-beam is located on the canopy. It's set back a little from the front edge of canopy frame.

Also there is a small strip of styrene glued to the front inside lip of the canopy so when the canopy is closed the small strip goes under the front windsheild, this is a good idea to do, helps it from vibrating and sliding back and forth from side to side. Look at the photo above and below with the pilot, you can see the lip I'm talking about.

Last pic is just a teaser!!

Name:	Ay74525.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	219.2 KB
ID:	759358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37959.jpg
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	759359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49212.jpg
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	759360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dw65723.jpg
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	759361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm76307.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	759362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62944.jpg
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	759363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38095.jpg
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	759364  
Old 09-08-2007, 11:49 PM
F18

THIS HELPING OUT ALOT WILLY THANKS APPRECIATE YOUR TIME IN HELPING ME OUT IF YOU ARE EVER IN MY AREA STOP BYE FOR A BEER OR HAMBUGER ! PEOPLE ARE STOPING BYE AND LOVE MY P-51 AND I SHOW THEM YOURS THEY LOVE THEM!! WELL I HAD TO PUT THIS UPGRADE IN AND I WILL WIGHT AGAIN TO LET YOU KNOW HOW EVERYTHING IS GOING THANKS GLAD I DIDN"T GLUE THOSE RAILS IN YET!!!BYE WILLY THAKS AGAIN!!!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:57 PM
willey

Don't you have a warbird meet every year near you, I think that was you??
Old 09-09-2007, 08:54 PM
F18

YES THEIR WAS A BIG WAR BIRD MEET IN QUAKER TOWN THEY JUST HAD IT A FEW WEEKS AGO!!!WANTED TO GO IN WORST WAY. But could'nt make this year weather was bad the day i could go!!! no rain for longest time then it pour that day next time . WELL RAILS CUT RECESSED IN FUSE ALL MACHINE WORK DONE ! jUST HAVE TO GLUE RAILS SO FAR SO GOOD THANKS AGAIN WILL WRITE IN A WEEK WILLY TIME TO GO BACK TO WORK FOR THE WEEK!![:@][:@] I'LL TALK TO SOON OK WILLY BYE !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.