Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

H9 F6F Hellcat Engine selection....

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

H9 F6F Hellcat Engine selection....

Old 04-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Vendetta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 F6F Hellcat Engine selection....

I'm thinking of building a Hellcat. To minimize cost I was thinking of going with the 2 Stroke Engine. I had a buddy of mine who had a really hard time keeping a p47 running with a 2 stroke mounted upside down.

My questions:

- Will a 2 stroke fit ok under the cowl without having the engine head sticking out of the cowl?
- Will the 2 stroke have to be mounted upside down and will the engine be temperamental mounted this way?
- What are the general advantages to running a 4stroke Saito 100 vs say a .61nt Evo?
- Does anyone have pics of a 2 stroke mounted in the hellcat ?

Sorry for all the questions !! Thanks
Old 04-03-2007, 03:27 PM
Hoghead385
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: H9 F6F Hellcat Engine selection....

Vendetta, if you scroll down on the warbirds page, there is a lengthy thread on the H9 Hellcat. I have read it through a couple of times as I am currently assembling this kit with the Saito 100. Engine choice and orientation has been discussed at length. I have installed two and four stroke engines inverted with no problems. I do recall one person on that thread installing a two stroke horizontally with a pitts type muffler with no problem. Great thread, check it out!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Vendetta

Great thanks for the info !!
Old 04-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Hepdog

I had my 90 2 stroke slightly inverted and it ran just fine. Starting was a wee bit onerous but nothing major. Finally got a procedure figured out that had it flash up on the third flip. Now it is horizontal and starting is easier and the exhaust install much cleaner. Don't anticipate any other issues. Just watch the fuel line routing and it really doesn't seem to matter which way the cylinder head is pointing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20002.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	657089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11669.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	657090  
Old 04-04-2007, 07:17 PM
1080tommy

I have installed and ran several inverted engines the lastest of which is a SAITO 1.80, and it runs as smooth if not smoother then my inverted 1.25. I think you need to really pay attention to breakin and proper engine tuning. I have the Hellcat waiting for its maiden hopefully this week if the weather warms up. Good luck.

Tom