Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

RCV Engines in Warbirds (OR: how to swing near scale size props on your warbird)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

RCV Engines in Warbirds (OR: how to swing near scale size props on your warbird)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:48 PM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RCV Engines in Warbirds (OR: how to swing near scale size props on your warbird)

More disappointment on the RCV 120. After some initial conversations with Angela at RCV support, who is very helpful BTW, it looks like the one I received is in new condition but is one of their early "concentric adjustable crank carrier designs." I don't know what that means yet, but I may be looking to return it to the seller for a refund if the consequences are significant. If anyone here has insight, I would appreciate it.

Tom
Old 06-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: RCV Engines in Warbirds (OR: how to swing near scale size props on your warbird)

ORIGINAL: SMUGator

More disappointment on the RCV 120. After some initial conversations with Angela at RCV support, who is very helpful BTW, it looks like the one I received is in new condition but is one of their early "concentric adjustable crank carrier designs." I don't know what that means yet, but I may be looking to return it to the seller for a refund if the consequences are significant. If anyone here has insight, I would appreciate it.

Tom
Tom,

I bought mine WAAAAY back when Clarence Lee did the review on it. I don't recall the " concentric adjustable crank carrier design" I'd send it back now , get their newest design and fly happy.

Pete
Old 06-08-2007, 04:05 PM
SMUGator

RCV checked the serial and determined that the unit I received was built in Sep 2001, so in product quality standards, it is ancient. I'm trying to negotiate a return with the seller as we speak. At any rate, it won't be going on my Corsair. I'll be ordering a new replacement from an authorized dealer.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:55 AM
SMUGator

It took a bit of discussion with the seller to negotiate a return of the RCV 120 from 2001, but we finally reached an agreement tonight. It was interesting that he completely got my concerns when I explained how much time I will have invested in the build. Apparently he spends some time with the Top Gun crowd and has an appreciation for building. In any case, I'm going to order the replacement through an authorized dealer and move forward.

Tom
Old 06-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: SMUGator

It took a bit of discussion with the seller to negotiate a return of the RCV 120 from 2001, but we finally reached an agreement tonight. It was interesting that he completely got my concerns when I explained how much time I will have invested in the build. Apparently he spends some time with the Top Gun crowd and has an appreciation for building. In any case, I'm going to order the replacement through an authorized dealer and move forward.

Tom

FWIW, Hobby Barn in AZ is an authorized dealer, has good prices and quick shipping. I got 3 RCVs from them and I was very happy with the service.

FWIW, after a lot of break in time, I finally flew my H9 T34 with the RCV 60SP in it, and it flies great. It's no pylon racer, but it gets up and goes pretty well...... Sounds cool too.......
Old 06-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Juice

I've got 2 RCV's... a 90SP and a 60SP.

The 90SP ran great in a 10.5 lb TF Corsair... RIP. This engine is waiting for a new host. I have my eyes on a H9 Corsair for it.

The 60SP is currently in a 46-size World Models P-51 Mustang. At 7 lbs and a 50-something inch wingspan, it is the highest wingloading airplane I've owned. Even still, it flies great. I have a 13x13 4-blade APC prop on it now. I want to try a 14.5x11 4-blade APC prop next.
[link=http://media.putfile.com/Crazy-Horse-First-Flight]Crazy Horse First Flight (1/7 scale P-51 RC model)[/link]

Juice
Old 06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Juice

Pic #1: Here's a dirty picture of the Crazy Horse during a recent fun fly. Notice the four blades in the prop arc. Cool, huh?

Pic #2: An added bonus of a four blade prop... in the event of a nose over the four blades will prevent the airplane from completely flipping over, thus protecting the fragile tail surfaces (which can be seen here safely sticking straight up).

Juice
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66775.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	704594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14315.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	704595  
Old 06-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Jim Hilgeford

I have two 90 SP RCV Engines. I have run 1 1/2 gals of fuel throught both.

My problem is that do not idle. Have glow ign on and when I try to idle they just quit. If I start at 2000 RPM and one click at a time idle them down I can get to only 1800 RPM Consistant. If I bring from high RPM they just quit. I probably have 3 to 4 hours of run time. I have noticed on this blog that some idl;e down nice. Any one have any ideas.

Thanks in advance

Jim from sunny Arizona
Old 06-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jim Hilgeford

My problem is that do not idle. Have glow ign on and when I try to idle they just quit. If I start at 2000 RPM and one click at a time idle them down I can get to only 1800 RPM Consistant. If I bring from high RPM they just quit. I probably have 3 to 4 hours of run time. I have noticed on this blog that some idl;e down nice. Any one have any ideas.

Thanks in advance

Jim from sunny Arizona

I bet your low end needle is off. To adjust the low end you need to close the throttle barrel before making an adjustment. sounds like it's lean. Start where the manual suggests I believe it's 3 to 4 turns out with the barrel closed and go from there.

Pete
Old 06-20-2007, 04:28 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be nice to know some specifics from those that are having problems, such as:
1) what fuel are they using (and what percentage of oil/ nitro)?
2) what glow plug?
3) what prop (make, as well as diameter/ pitch)?

For that matter: what are the GOOD running RCVs using for fuel/ glow plug/ prop?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:37 AM
DVM100

Jock,
I'm using 10% nitro, 20% synthetic oil swinging a 20 x 12, 18 x 12, 18 x 16 2 blade and a 15.5 x 12 4 blade on my 120SP. She idles beautifully at about 1270rpm on the 18 x 12, and peaks at about 5300rpm. Dave
Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Mikel-t
My Feedback: (12)

CorsairJock: Besides all the great feed-back here why not take a peek at some of the Brit's forum's , they have the most experiance with these engine(s). I'm also interested in the 90 or 120SP so I'm glad you started this. It may require registering on one of their forums but I think they would be happy to lend a Yank a hand!. Mike.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Rocketman612

ORIGINAL: Jim Hilgeford

Thanks in advance

Jim from sunny Arizona

I bet your low end needle is off. To adjust the low end you need to close the throttle barrel before making an adjustment. sounds like it's lean. Start where the manual suggests I believe it's 3 to 4 turns out with the barrel closed and go from there.

Pete

Amen to this.... I was having fits with my 60SP until I reset it. To do it right, back off the idle needle until you can close the throttle all the way, then open the needle 3.5 to 4 turns. It will most likely idle OK, but a little rich. I've found this engine/carb to be very sensitive to idle needle adjustment compared with most glow engines.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Juice

CorsairJock,

On my RCV 60SP I'm using a 13x13 4-blade APC prop. A few years ago, there was a gentleman here named Otto Kudrna who was the RCV rep for USA. Anyways, he sold me 4 gallons of his special "Kona Gold" mix, which I'm still using now (down to the last gallon). I remember a weird mixture for this fuel, 16% nitro, 7% castor, 7% synthetic, 14% total oil content. The fuel is a little old, but it still seems to be good.

The top end peaks at 5300 RPM and I richen it to 5100 RPM for flight. The lowest reliable idle I can get is 2000 RPM. However, it seems to be getter better. Only a couple weeks ago, the lowest reliable idle was at 2400 RPM with made my landing too fast. At 2000 RPM, my landing are as slow as I want them to be. Still, I hope it will idle lower for more of a safety margin.

Josh
Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Jim Hilgeford

Thanks for the Idle setting on those who responded to my SP90 Idle problem. When you set idle screw to correct setting, where
is high speed needle. Mine is only out 3 to 4 clicks. Seems incorrect, but may be OK.

I am using 10% nitro and 16% oil, 80% sync and 20 % caster. Prop is 15.75 X 13 X 3 blade.

What idle RPM should I expect. My manual says 1200 RPM prop, 2400 RPM piston.

Thanks again.

Jim In Sunny Arizona
Old 06-20-2007, 06:48 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: DVM100
Jock,
I'm using 10% nitro, 20% synthetic oil swinging a 20 x 12, 18 x 12, 18 x 16 2 blade and a 15.5 x 12 4 blade on my 120SP. She idles beautifully at about 1270rpm on the 18 x 12, and peaks at about 5300rpm. Dave
20% oil content for these engines is too much, according to RCV manuals AND an RCV representative that I spoke to. I think the recommended content is closer to 15%. That said, it is surprising that your's is running so well. If it works: by all means stick with it. But I would not recommend it for someone who is having troubles with theirs.
Finding a recommended fuel DOES seem a little difficult to me: most are at least 16% oil these days
Old 06-20-2007, 06:54 PM
rorrock

I have a rcv 120 that i will put in my top flite p-47.. should look nice swinging a 4 blader..

Rob in OZ
Old 06-20-2007, 07:31 PM
SMUGator

I also got a new RCV 120 and will probably start breaking in this weekend using the Powermaster 4 stroke recipe.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:03 AM
DVM100

I appreciate your comments, but the manual addendum recommends 18-20% for Australian conditions. That's not to say it's the same for European or continental USA. I was using 15% oil with 6% castor during run-in as recommended, but the engine was running too hot when flying on 15% oil. It was only after I re-read the material and found out I should be running 18-20% that she started to really run properly.

Must be something to do with the dry heat down here I guess. Dave
Old 06-21-2007, 03:58 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my trips thru the US , I visit various shops , the one I find the most reliable is in Minnesota . THey were selling these engins and now they do not because they simply reported inconsistant running from very experienced warbird pilots who had purchased them in his shop . He still had some in stock and could have easily sold me the engine but his honesty said stick with Saito .

As far as in cowl , I always found my challenge with 4 strokes was the muffler , however after dealing with the great people at Macs products in northern Cal , that problem is always solved with some easy add ons allowing very tight turns in the cowl and the muffler stays hidden in most cases .

I know the engine head is another challenge but its never been that bad on the planes I fly .
Old 06-21-2007, 09:44 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: LDM
......................I know the engine head is another challenge but its never been that bad on the planes I fly .
Don't know what what you consider "bad", but to some: any part of an engine that sticks out where it shouldn't/ wouldn't in a full scale is bad.

While some warbird people feel that a warbird just doesn't look right with flat tail surfaces, others feel that they just don't look right with a cylinder head poking out thru the cowl where it shouldn't/ wouldn't on a full scale. To each his own. We all have our own agenda. If you feel that having airfoil shaped tail surfaces is important, but having the engine concealed isn't: that is your choice/ privilidge.

And in addition to being rather compact/ easy to fit inside of a cowl: these engines are capable of swinging very large props. These are the 2 main reasons people are choosing these engines.

I'll add one more thing: we all have our opinions and ideas of what we think makes good looking/ scale warbirds. Many times, what one person thinks is significant is dismissed by others as being not significant. Stick by your own rules. Do what you think is best for YOUR warbirds. But try to remain open minded about what others think is important for THEIR warbirds as well.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does airfoil shaped tail sutfaces have to do with this discussion ?? you have me mistaken with Ricard L , lol , I have the h9 corsair and love it , could care less about the thin airfoil , so please stop the lecture and as far as sticking out parts , I dont have one warbird with any engine part sticking out because I am fortunite enought to only like ---P40ties , corsairs , Seafury , in my collection that I currently fly , so if its bothers you that much only choose warbirds that can hide the engine .

The RCV engine always puzzeled me when there #1 selling point was "in cowl " and less exposure while never ever addressing the ugly muffler sticking out of the plane , so what does a hidden head worth if the muffler sticks out .
If there main selling feature is slimine design then they should join up with Macs rc and feature combo deals on after market parts to conceal the engine .
As far as open minded with less tone in the emails I agree , you should try that you take this way to seriuos , no attitude was directed on my part nor do I care if you buy an RCV , I was only stateing what a very ethical hobby shop ---Hobbyware-house in Richfeild told me about the engines and that was from his customers feedback .
Old 07-10-2007, 02:28 PM
n9331v

I just broke my two new RCV 90CD in for my B25. They started right up and I adjusted per the manual, they idle nice, are very responsive. I think these are great for warbirds due to the fit and the scale type sound.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:29 PM
werner_molder

Hi CORSAIRJOCK... and hi to all members on this forum.

I m new on this web site, so, maybe my english is no good at all.
I have a RCV 90SP in my Messerschmitt Bf-109, and it flow a pair of times, and it did very well, no surprises no dead-sitck when you try to do loops , and it start just "by hand", two or three flips and it start!!

Just one very important thing :

if you will get the maximun of perfomance and good running with these engines, you must RUN this on the test-stand about 4 or 5 liters and set the idles correctly BEFORE you put it onto the model, I mean they need a correct "break-in" thats is the key. No vibration after you get the correct rpms and idles settings.
I m running with a 16x12 RAM and 10%nitro DURAGLO (that the manual recommends to use).

All guys in our club are just impresive how this thing just work fine like "a clock" and the 109 flyes like the "real thing".

just take a look of the first and second test fly´s videos...

FIRST FLY..
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...bf-109_web.flv

SECOND FLY..
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...o_vueloWEB.flv
Old 07-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Pilot44
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: n9331v

I just broke my two new RCV 91CD's in for my B25. They started right up and I adjusted per the manual, they idle nice, are very responsive. I think these are great for warbirds due to the fit and the scale type sound.

So have I, for a KMP B25, put 1 gallon through each, with 120 minute run times on each. They start great, idle nicely, but have vibration that is scary, I do methodicaly balance my props, trust me on that one. I would not put them in an airframe as of yet. Will run another gallon through each before I trust them in an expensive model.

Anybody experience the vibration issue with these CD 91's?

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.