Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hellcat (H9) Maiden Flight

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hellcat (H9) Maiden Flight

Old 06-25-2007, 04:22 AM
SuperAirborne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hellcat (H9) Maiden Flight

Hello all warbird pilots.

I have just finished my Hangar 9 Hellcat F6F. I'll probably do the first flight within the next week. I just wanted to get some pointers from experienced WWII R/C pilots. This is my first warbird.

My plane is fitted with an ASP .91 4-stroker. It carries and extra battery for the retracts. The plane balances nicely on the given balance point in the instruction manual.

What is there to look out for? Does the plan have a lot of torque steer on take-off? How long does it run b4 lift-off? Are landings very fast? (I fly at 5500ft asl). Tip stalls or unsuspected snaps????

Also, I want to know if other Hellcat pilots fly their planes with the recommended control throws? They seem very small to me!

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-25-2007, 04:42 AM
*JCB*
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Hellcat (H9) Maiden Flight

I just maidened my hellcat a week ago, so here are my answers to your questions.

When you take off, roll out slowly as there is a lot of tendancy to pull to the left. The plane will also take off at a very slow speed, so if you gun the throttle, the plane will lift off in a very short distance.

Landings are incredibly slow, make sure you get the idle low enough on your motor. I had a problem with that this past weekend, in the haste of tuning my motor, i didn't really pay attention to the idle speed and i had a hard time landing the plane because it just wanted to keep flying due to the high idle speed.

Stalls are gentle and straight forward.

As for the control throws, the recommended is more than enough. I put in about -35% expo on the Ailerons and Elevator, and the plane is still a little twitchy. I may turn the throws down a bit.

This is a great flying plane, so enjoy!!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 AM
SuperAirborne

JCB, thanks for that info! Let me know when you fly yours again!

Regards
Old 07-16-2007, 10:33 AM
SteveG79
My Feedback: (1)

I just did my maiden on my Hellcat this weekend. I had a problem with the landing gear on rollout, the left gear collapsed and scuffed up the wing tip. I just adjusted them to the down & locked position. Second attempt went quite well. Use some right rudder on takeoff, my Saito 91 had plenty of power. Needed some aileron trimming in the air but other than that, it is a good flyer.