Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Royal Corsair .60 project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Royal Corsair .60 project

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 02:51 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Royal Corsair .60 project

Well I just wasn't happy with them, so I tried to get the doors to open wider by mounting the aileron ball link closer to the door hinge line, very close. This would make more movement but still keep the door rod the same length. I also cut the aileron ball links mounted on the doors so that the door opening rod could get more movement to the side, making it possible for the doors to open wider without binding. Even with this cutting the ball link fits very tight, I was worried that it would make it pop out easy.

Still not close, but a lot better than they were.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	68243_21604.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	38724  
Old 04-09-2003, 08:08 PM
dionysusbacchus

Starting on the wing again. This will interest those that may want to put those big barn doors on the main retracts! I have a system that works very well. It is just a test system, I will be making fiberglass doors.

Here is a sample picture:

Name:	69433_21604.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	38725  
Old 04-10-2003, 02:23 AM
Juice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You doing great work, Luke. I've been trying various methods to try to get those doors to close... with no success. Your method looks promising.

I'll be patiently waiting to find out where you are going to put that spring, or those springs (?), that can hold the door open and closed. Don't leave us in suspense too long!

Juice
Old 04-11-2003, 02:29 PM
dionysusbacchus

Well all test show that this system for closing the main gear doors works great. I installed a spring on each door and they really work slick. Once you have the dimensions and everything it is really easy to duplicate, very simple. I imagine it will fall right in the Top Flite Corsair. I made it all self contained, you build the whole contraption outside of the aircraft, then when you get it right you glue the whole thing in, no fussing and frustrating work in small areas. I will probably work all night to finish the wing, including the drawings for my system and fiberglass gear doors, someone start the coffee pot! :stupid:

This is the test system, I filled the retracts with just 40lbs of pressure and cycled the gear 3 or so times, and the doors sucked right up nice and tight on every one!

Name:	69873_21604.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	38726  
Old 04-12-2003, 01:04 PM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by Juice
You doing great work, Luke. I've been trying various methods to try to get those doors to close... with no success. Your method looks promising.

I'll be patiently waiting to find out where you are going to put that spring, or those springs (?), that can hold the door open and closed. Don't leave us in suspense too long!

Juice
Thanks for all the encouragement Juice, I hope that I was of some help with your Corsair, I want to see yours finished too! I got a lot of work done last night, but not as much as I thought I could. I just have the bottom front section of the wing to sheet, I have to build the structure underneath the sheeting for the retract hatch. This way I can make the front door as small as possible so it will fit between the wheel and the wing. I will finish the drawings today for the dimensions of the door closing contraption. I have put some new pictures on my site.

Chat later,

Luke
Old 04-19-2003, 04:54 AM
dionysusbacchus

Ok, installed the gear doors! They work sweet! Here is a sample, get on over to my site and check out all the updates.

Name:	71859_21604.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	38727  
Old 04-19-2003, 04:56 AM
dionysusbacchus

Down!

Name:	71860_21604.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	38728  
Old 04-19-2003, 04:57 AM
dionysusbacchus

Notice the very unfinished look of the doors. I will give them several good coats of primer and then sand them real good! I was in to much of a hurry to get them installed!

Name:	71861_21604.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	38729  
Old 04-21-2003, 08:48 PM
v6goose

Hey Luke...

Thats some great work as usual!

This is going to be one great bird when you finish her...

Keep up the good work, we are all watching with great interest.

Goose
Old 04-21-2003, 09:42 PM
dionysusbacchus

Thanks V6goose, sure makes it a lot more fun knowing so many other people are enjoying my project too, this is great!

I think I have settled on a paint scheme, it's not in stone but this is probably it. As you know I am modeling the F4U-1D but I want something more interesting than the dark blue. That would hide all the work I did on the doors anyway! With the 2 tone and white scheme the doors will show up real nice!

The view here is not entirely accurate, I have more documentation, but it will give you an idea. It is out of my copy of Volume 1 No. 1 Sept. 1971 Airpower:

Name:	72614_21604.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	38730  
Old 04-21-2003, 09:43 PM
dionysusbacchus

Doors in primer, look a lot better!

Name:	72616_21604.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	38731  
Old 04-22-2003, 01:19 AM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

That's excellent Luke. Royal power!
Old 04-22-2003, 01:34 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Corsair doors

Dion, your doors look excellent!.. Keep up the great work.... BobH
Old 04-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Juice

Luke,

I haven't touched my Corsair in about a week (so gear doors still no work) and probably can't get back to it until next week. I don't mind taking a little break though, because the further along you get on your Corsair, the more things you share on your website that I've been saving to do for last because I don't know how to do them. I hope you don't mind people (like me) using your ideas.

What did you do with the front gear doors? It needs to hold on to the strut while allowing it rotate and slide as it retracts and extends.

Thanks again,
Juice
Old 04-22-2003, 05:17 PM
dionysusbacchus

Hi Juice,

Thought you were on vacation or something! It is nice, to take a break some times. My problem is I have to keep the momentum up when I start a project or I'll shelve it and never finish, so I can't quit!

I think it's great that someone can use my ideas, you are taking advantage of a lot of years of modeling experience! I am by no means anywhere near the top, you would probably do better getting advise elsewhere! I'm doing this to share ideas and hope that others will do the same.

Anyway, I posted those pictures in advance of an explanation or "how to" just to get them up. I'm still taking pictures and will change the site to show more detail later this week. I don't want you to be disappointed when you know how easy it is and then have you go out in search of a more complicated answer!

What you think of those doors Juice? Surprise that they work?

See ya,

Luke
Old 04-23-2003, 04:22 AM
dionysusbacchus

Juice,

I have updated the site with more detailed information on the gear doors. This should help you with your Corsair.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:23 PM
v6goose

Hey...

Looking really good mate... loving this project, and its not even mine!!!

Goose
Old 04-24-2003, 12:10 AM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by V6goose
Hey...

Looking really good mate... loving this project, and its not even mine!!!

Goose
You make me laugh Goose! I have no idea how far I'm going to take this thing! I'm not going to do to much more, all of the major stuff is all worked out. I did add a sliding canopy, and it is all shown on my main web site (the link below). I am running out of web space on my earthlink account so I'm moving the site, it will be much better. I'll keep the other one up until the move is complete though.

Thanks mate!

Luke

Name:	73213_21604.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	38732  
Old 04-24-2003, 01:38 AM
v6goose

Luke...

Make sure you dont lose us in the move. I want to refer to your stuff when i get around to affording my big 'hose nose'

Its great to see how others achieve the 'hard bits', and im sure you have helped others with your idea's.

Awesome job my friend... keep going!

Goose
Old 04-24-2003, 10:30 AM
dionysusbacchus

Goose,

I'm glad if I was of some assistance to others, that makes me feel good. I really appreciate all the encouragement from people like you here and others that have taken the time to sign my guest book. It REALLY has helped me to stay motivated and on schedule.

I won't lose you in the move, I'm making my new site even better!

I'm now ready to completely finish the fuselage! The wing just needs some final detailing, little stuff. This is going to be fun!

Cheers,

Luke
Old 04-24-2003, 02:09 PM
dionysusbacchus

More bad news about those stupid free web sites, this is what they sent me:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear EarthLink Member,

Your free member Web site http://home.earthlink.net/~deadlift has been popular this month -- maybe a little too popular. According to our records, your Web site has exceeded 75% of your traffic allotment this month.

If your free Web site traffic exceeds 1024 MB, the site will become unavailable until the beginning of the next month. During that time, no one will be able to access your site and you will have only limited abilities to publish to or modify the site's contents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

My site has had over 1000 visitors in 2 months! Thanks guys, you'll probably shut it down if this keeps up! Got to hurry with that new site!
Old 04-25-2003, 04:29 AM
Devo

dionysusbacchus, quit doing quality work and we'll quit looking at it!
Old 05-06-2003, 01:22 AM
The BIG O

Hi Goose,
I also bought a royal products F-4U kit on E-Bay. I looked it over. there are two sheets of plans but no instruction booklet with the kit. Does one come with it ? Also when I save up enough, I would like to purchase the right size retracts for the mains with oleo struts ! Any suggestions ? Did you start on the wing or fuslage first ? Are you building the wing all in one peice or are you planning on having two wing halves ?
Dave O
Old 05-06-2003, 03:39 AM
v6goose

Hi Dave..

Err... i think you wanted to fire that post at Luke... Mine's a Kyosho ARF of the mighty F4U :-)

Cheers

Goose
Old 05-06-2003, 03:46 PM
dionysusbacchus

Originally posted by The BIG O
Hi Goose,
I also bought a royal products F-4U kit on E-Bay. I looked it over. there are two sheets of plans but no instruction booklet with the kit. Does one come with it ? Also when I save up enough, I would like to purchase the right size retracts for the mains with oleo struts ! Any suggestions ? Did you start on the wing or fuslage first ? Are you building the wing all in one peice or are you planning on having two wing halves ?
Dave O
Hi Dave O! I think your talking to me! Yes the royal kit comes with an instruction book. You should always build the wing first on every kit. It is much easier to fit a fuselage to a wing than it is to fit a wing to a fuselage. If you want doors you will need the Robart 615's. I have read many complaints about the 615's here, but I love them. I have a set of the Rhom Air's, but it has an external link that will prevent you from using doors. I have not used the Century Jet rotators, but I hear they are too big. I have never pancaked my Royal Corsair in from 5' so I don't know if they will hold up, I consider a maneuver like this to be a crash anyway. If I do get a bounce on landing I just ease in the power and go around. I have not used the Robarts on grass however.

Thanks Devo, I don't care if you guys put my site out of commission! That's what I'm doing it for, for people to visit my shop!

I have been working on the details of the wing, here are some pictures:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.