Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:46 PM
dvs1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: KMP / YT FW-190 Build Thread

more pics!please,I feel like Oliver asking for poridge being the first thread on this plane the curiosity is killing me.
as much as the debate rages on the particulars of scale accuracy of this plane it is looking pretty good here is a site with some good close up photo's for you http://fw190.hobbyvista.com/detail.htm ,the burning question for 650$ you didn't get any retracts included?, kmp says that they are part of the ARF package.
I'll try to get a bunch of pics together tonight and upload them for you to see. And yes quality retracts with Oleo struts, aluminum wheels and air tank and hardware are included for $650
They just got a mix up at the factory on the first shipment but should be shipping to us with the first shipment this week or first of next week.

Hey guy's

Does anyone have any pic's of the drop tank that comes with the kit? is it ABS or glass?
I will make sure a pic of the tank is with my other shots I will upload tonight, and yes it too is glass.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Redback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ticketec,

HStore were listing them as a special at $650. Mine ended up costing $700 with delivery.

Retracts, oleo legs and alloy wheels were included in my kit. Not done much yet but like what I see so far.

BTW I picked up a book on the FW190 at Duxford when I was over in the UK earlier this year. Will look to see if there are any photos worth scanning. Took a bunch of pics of the 190 there but somehow the card in my digital camera got wiped, so I lost these and a heap more shots.

Terry
Old 10-03-2007, 06:43 PM
dvs1

Here are the updated pics with the progress on the wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59708.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	776003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71401.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	776004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13558.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	776005  
Old 10-03-2007, 06:46 PM
dvs1

What you want more???

Name:	Tr49106.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	776007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61590.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	776008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69169.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	776009  
Old 10-03-2007, 06:49 PM
dvs1

Even more you say,
Ok then.[sm=regular_smile.gif]

Name:	Nl29186.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	776010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89475.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	776011  
Old 10-03-2007, 06:50 PM
damagedgoodes

G'day Ticketec,
I got mine off the local supplier here in Alice Springs but haven't been billed yet. He usually supplies us aircraft at capital city prices so i'm expecting $650. There is a little known guy in Werribee Vic called RC Headquaters who has them listed at $585 on his web site. Very nice kit as everyone here is saying. I have had the seafury, have a B-25, Spitfire still in its box and now the wolfe and the quality has improved in each kit. The composite stuff is very good. You might want to source one quick however, as modelflight sold out the first shipment to the shops a month before delivery, so they will go fast. Cheers,
Dave
Old 10-03-2007, 07:42 PM
mobyal

What sort of single-cylinder glow engine are those who want to use them considering?
I'm thinking either a Saito 180 or OS 1.60fx, and leaning toward the OS. If I can get that straight I'm gonna pull the trigger. Probably tomorrow.
Thanks
Al
Old 10-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Redback

Al,

Guy at our field is flying a YT Spitfire with an OS120 two stroke and seems quite happy that he has enough power.

180 sounds about right for a four stroke though.

Still trying to figure out what I'm gonna use - leaning towards the 120AX at the moment.

Terry
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 PM
damagedgoodes

Or one of the new OS 200FS. Saw one last week hauling around a CMPro Giles 140 size. The owner has exactly the same giles with an OS 160FX so it was a great comparison between the two powerplants. Pretty much the same performance, just a different noise. For those that haven't heard the OS 200FS with the supplied muffler, it sounds quite similar to the sound of a real Cessna 172. I'm going to use either the 120AX or the 200FS, probably the latter.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:24 AM
dvs1

Also before anyone asks from the pics, Yes I do fly my planes from the field on the north end of my house beyond the chain link fence.
There isnt a local flying club in my town, the closest is 80 miles away. So I normally fly from my field.

Will probably be starting on the fuse tomarrow. Still haven't decided on gas motor yet. Maybe I will completely finish plane minus motor,
and see what kind of nose weight I will need to balance it out to make a determination.

I sure would like to see how some of your builds are coming, and especially see a close up of the retracts for this plane as I havent received mine
yet I sure would like to have some material to drool and dream over.

Later guys.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:23 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Mine arrived and after inspection I was quite pleased. This is without a doubt the finest arf FW-190 I have ever seen in the US. The finish is almost too perfect, will have to dirty her up a bit. I don't see the big dip in the aft end of the fuse before the fin. This thing is awesome! A bit on the heavy side though. I will be installing a YS-140FZ in her, should haul it around just right.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:05 AM
dvs1

WARNING PLEASE READ:
Maybe my plane was the only one with this defect but you guys should be aware that when building the horizontal stab
be careful. My aluminum tubing fits through the fuse great well maybe a little loose on the left side but ok. The problem
arose when trying to get the tubing to slide into the stab sides. The stabs have a fiberglass sleeve inside for the tubing to
mate with. NO GO tubing is 1-2 MM to large for the holes in the stab. So I used a matching drill bit to the aluminum tube
to clean out the holes in the stab pieces. Started with the left side. No problems so far. Fits good. Then onto the right side
Oh noooo I tore the fiberglass sleeve to pieces. So now I have two choices continue with assembly. I believe that I would be
ok. Or choice two and fabricate a new sleeve and epoxy it back into the right stab piece.

Just wanted everyone to know about the first bump in the road in building this what has been so far a quality airplane.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:02 AM
H8Basher

That's unfortunate.

Mine seem to fit fine. One hole in the fuse was a little small, but I fixed it easily with sandpaper. I would be asking KMP to replace the stab. It shouldn't become your problem that it wasn't built properly.

I'm goint to get a little more work done on mine tonight [8D]
Old 10-05-2007, 08:05 AM
Sturtz
My Feedback: (20)

Oh noooo I tore the fiberglass sleeve to pieces. So now I have two choices continue with assembly. I believe that I would be
ok. Or choice two and fabricate a new sleeve and epoxy it back into the right stab piece.
Wondering if Gorrilla Glue left to set overnight would fill out the tube area. Sumo Glue would also work well. Probably would end up being the stronger side of the horz stab.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 AM
alanc

something strange here, are you sure it was not just resin at the root of the stab? and not the hole to small ? 2mm seems an awfull lot, as for the tube ripping out, i have had the same on my stuka, mainly becuse i cocked up fitting the stab in place, and had to sand off some of the stab root, to get it to line up (i know, measure twice, cut once ) i had glued one side in, and tried to bend the tube to line up the remaining stab, and i am an engineer for a living!!!!!!!!!! anyway, i too ripped out the tube, so, i placed the tube on the ally spar, removed enough of the wood at the root of the stab to get cyno into, and mounted the stab to mate up, but with 2 X 15 mm spacers , to space the stab away, but still be lined up, then, making sure the spar was flush with the end of the tube, i turned the fuzz on its side, and tacked cyno down both sides of the tube, then, removed the stab, complete with tube, and used, as said, goriila glue both sides, it is now glued on, and seems to be ok, to quote hill street blues, be carefull out there!!!

hope this helps, and shows even the staff can cock it up!!!

oh, and just an edit, obviously, dont let cyno come itno contact with the ally spar, while the spacers are in, i used thick cyno to tack, and a small amount of activator, DONT GO MAD WITH THE GLUE WHEN TACKING
Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
dvs1

alanc,

The fiberglass tube was actually the proper diameter. since it is now out of the stab in pieces it fits on the tube with a very tight fit but still fits.
The problem was there was a fair amout of resin at the root and globs of it throughout the tube so drilling it seemed the only option if I wanted to
get the tube to fit all the way into the stab like it was meant to. So when I got about half way down the fiberglass tube the bit took hold of the fiberglass
twisting it into pieces inside the stab. A part from there being resin in the fiberglass tube I don't think the tube was glued to the stab very well.
I'm not placing blame at the manufacturer. Maybe I could have been a little more careful but it seems to me that eveything else on this plane has
been built with close to perfection why was there gobs of resin that should not be there.

I only put my warning post so people would read it and not have to go through the hastle of fixing a screw up like I am doing and make precautions
to being a little more careful if things don't fit right.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:06 AM
H8Basher

Any one know of a good pilot figure to suit the FW-190?
Old 10-06-2007, 08:47 AM
BigRetracts-RCU

Anyone find a FW-190 spinner usable for this plane yet?
I have one of the planes and am going to need a spinner eventually.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2007, 09:47 AM
nemesis4u
My Feedback: (77)

DARRELL, (BIGRETRACTS-RCU)

Please email me with your weekend phone # so we can chat about the spinner ....

[email protected]

CHEERS,

TOMAS
Old 10-06-2007, 11:02 AM
mobyal

ORIGINAL: nemesis4u

DARRELL, (BIGRETRACTS-RCU)

[email protected]

CHEERS,

TOMAS
Ordered my kit from Tomas on Thursday.
You guys count me in for a spinner or two if you decide to have some made up.
Al
Old 10-06-2007, 01:50 PM
stangevil29
My Feedback: (1)

I was curious about the pojected weight of the plane RTF? Anyone have an idea as of yet? I was hoping I found a home for my OS 160. I just dont know about the cowl dia. It fit completely inside with room to spare in my GP Super Stearman. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Stangevil29
Old 10-06-2007, 02:35 PM
dvs1

I was curious about the pojected weight of the plane RTF? Anyone have an idea as of yet? I was hoping I found a home for my OS 160. I just dont know about the cowl dia. It fit completely inside with room to spare in my GP Super Stearman. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Stangevil29
The box says 13lbs. I have the airframe built. No motor, servos, fuel tank or radio gear in fuse. Wing is complete minus retracts and I am already at 8 lbs. With all the composites in this plane it is pretty heavy. I'm just glad
it has flaps. I'm going to finish this plane minus motor and see how much weight I will need up front before I decide on a motor. I want to try and build this plane without using any balancing weights.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:14 PM
dvs1

[email protected]

CHEERS,

TOMAS
Tomas,

I emailed you about this,
but I will post here as well. Would it be possible to build a scale spinner with functional cooling fan like the 80"
SisT and Vailly aviation spinners. Not only would they benefit in cooling but the Cool factor would be off the chart.
Let me know either way they are built I want to purchase one,
Thanks,
Curt
Old 10-07-2007, 06:52 PM
H8Basher

I have a 4 axis machining center and could machine the cooling fans. I wonder though if the volume would be there to make it fesable. They would work out quite expensive for a small run.

The fan would also draw some power from the engine and might adversely effect performance unless you were already overpowered.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:20 PM
dvs1

I think the power loss would be negligible, unless you are running a border line powerplant. I plan to use a gasser so I'm not worried about that.
However like you stated unless more than a couple of people beside me are willing to purchase it. The process of building them will not be cost effective.

However I still would like to have one for this plane so if you or anyone else is planning on machining some count me in on the order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.