Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/8 scale functional Hamilton Standard hub for RCV SP engines.

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/8 scale functional Hamilton Standard hub for RCV SP engines.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Skaweee
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/8 scale functional Hamilton Standard hub for RCV SP engines.

ORIGINAL: Corsair Blues

Juice,
I am watching Joe Lott's build to see how he makes out with the 18" blades. Consequently, I have not ordered anything from Solo yet. Hopefully this situation works itself out, or someone can supply replacement blades. I'd hate to give up before I even start.

Allan
Got a link to Joe's build?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Juice

Skaweee,

Here's the thread started by Joe Lott:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7956540/tm.htm]TF GE Corsair -w- 1/8 Scale Hamilton Standard Hub [/link]

Here's another thread started by snurckle:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7512218/tm.htm]TF Corsair .60 1/8th Scale Build - with RCV 120SP 1/8th Scale Hamilton Hub[/link]

Josh
Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Joe Lott

Hey guys,

I too have been watching the Soloprops thread. It bugs me, but we'll just have to wait it out. I hadn't thought about making moulds for the blades. That's a good idea, but I'm afraid I don't have the know-how to make composite blades. If Soloprops goes away, I wonder if Zinger could be approached about turning out the individual blades. Their 3 and 4 blade props are made of single replaceable blades anyway. I don't think it would be a stretch for them to make them. I just don't have any idea if it would be a profitable venture for them.

The maiden for my Corsair is far enough out that I can wait but, as Josh stated, we will all need a source of replacements eventually. I just hope the proposed sale goes through quickly.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Joe Lott

Josh,

It finally warmed up enough yesterday to do some testing with your hub and the 18" blades on my 120SP. With the blades set to a 12 pitch, I could only get 4400 rpm (slightly rich). Keep in mind that I have only run 1 gal. of fuel through the engine and I have not yet switched from Omega 10 to Coolpower 10 (which has been reported to give a few hundred extra rpm).

I would love to be able to spin it at 5000 rpm, but don't know if I will be able to make that. I just don't know if that 4400 rpm will pull my 13# plane. I'm thinking that it's going to have a pretty high stall speed anyway. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Juice

Hi Joe,

Congratulations. You are the first one (except for me) to spin the hub on an engine. I hope everything stayed together. Did you use lock-tite? Were all the bolts still tight when you were done?

My 90SP can turn the 18" blades set at 10" at 4400 RPM. Can you try setting your pitch to 10" so we can compare apples to apples. When you say "slightly rich", do you mean slightly rich from peak RPM?... which is how you would normally tune your engine for flight? Or is it slightly richer than that? It's a long break-in process... Your 120SP will be able to do better in time and when you are comfortable leaning the mixture.

Also keep in mind... a fully open carburator barrel doesn't mean maximum RPM. My 90SP reaches it's peak RPM when the carb is opened about 75%. Beyond that it looses some RPMs. I always set my throttle high end-point to match up to the peak RPM. How fine can you set your throttle on your break-in bench?

Josh
Old 01-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Joe Lott

Hello Josh,

Yes, I did use Loc-Tite. Everything remained nice and tight. By "slightly rich", I do mean 3 to 4 clicks to the rich side of max RPM. I have also experienced the peek performance at less than fully open carb barrel, although my RPM remains pretty much the same from 75% to 100% throttle. (That could change with break-in time.) I'm beginning to think that the extra power of the 120SP will be evident in allowing a couple inches more prop pitch while maintaining the same RPM of the 90SP. I'm thinking I'm going to need those 2 inches of pitch with my heavier bird. Anyway, my next gallon of fuel will be Coolpower 10%, and I will continue testing from there.

I ordered a Zinger 18x12 3-blade today to use for comparison's sake. I know it will be a bit lighter. I will see what I can get out of it. In your video using the 18" blades, your Corsair seemed pretty nimble with power to spare. That encourages me. Have you been able to get any more flights with the big blades? How fast do you estimate your plane is moving with the big prop?

On a side note, I've been working on a propeller duplicator for those blades. I've drawn up a prototype on Autocad and am in the process of fabricating it. It's a scaled-down version of a full size prop duplicator. We'll have to see how that works out.

Later,
Joe
Old 01-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Juice

Joe...

I flew many times with the 18" blades. I'd guess about 15 to 20 flights before the cold weather came.

They were set to 10" pitch and spun at 4400 RPM, and it gave me a good combination of forward speed and pulling power. An estimate of it's speed would be a pure guess, so I'd rather not give a number. But if I were to describe it, it would be an average speed for a sport airplane. It's way faster than scale speed.

I like this configuration so much (18x10 on a 90SP) that this is how I intend to fly it from now on. I think you're on the right track with it set to 18x12 on your 120SP.

Juice
Old 01-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Skaweee

Anyone have any updates on the status of Solo Props? I heard something about a pending lawsuit.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:16 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lawsuits.

One really big reason why I don't send out composite parts for things that spin .

Steve
Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM
snurckle

Well, this isn't good to hear. I'm currently trying to finish fixing my Bingo, and then planned to start working on my Corsair again. I plan on having the RCV 120 by April, so it'd be a good time to have the props too. I didn't order them with the hub, so I'm keeping an eye on the situation as well.

Are there any other props that will work with the hub?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:58 AM
SCALECRAFT

Anyone selling anything that spins should be labeled "static, for display only". Even if you have used it successfully in flight.

Can they still sue, sure, but maybe the negligence is on the users part.

In court, the truth does not matter, what matters is what the lawyer can get them to believe.

Court is like Vegas, no one can tell you the out come.

Unfortunate.

Steve
Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Juice

So, if I attempt to make carbon fiber copies of the 18" prop blades, how should I protect myself from law suits if make the blades to other users?

I can make them for myself. I can fly with them and prove to myself if they are reliable in flight. And even if I were to write "Use at own risk" I can't sell them to anyone because of the fear of getting sued, regardless of all the warnings and disclaimers. It's a shame that it comes to this.

Josh
Old 01-27-2009, 07:05 PM
SCALECRAFT

Josh

If you have no assets and plan on not having any, then do it.

Unfortunately, one can put any warning they want on the product, it does not insulate one from these problems. I would just say, "I got a bad one".

How to protect yourself? I don't know.

I knew a guy out of JPL in Pasadena, Ca. who manufactured a mini P-51 D for civilian use (50%, scale size) or something like that, to minimize the "successful" lawsuit against his design, each airframe was owned by a corporation that sold the plain, and then the corporation was dissolved. Did it help. I don't know.

Anyone can sue anyone. In California we are always concerned about liability. From the guy with a small business to big city departments.

What you can think about is how to shift the responsibility (liability) onto the end user. More assembly by the end user, something like that.

Why is SOLO having problems?

My kids can't play tag any more on the play grounds at school out here. Imagine that.

Steve
Old 01-27-2009, 08:38 PM
The Ghost

It is the fault of the gready lawyers that caused the problem by taking away "Personal Responsibility" anyone injured weather or not they used the product correctly or as stated in the INSTRUCTIONS All the lawyers seen were $$$$$$, the judges are also at fault for agreeing. A bloke out here sueed the property owner for being injured on the property, He was braking in to rob the joint. The mother of the theif also sueed the property owner for "emotional stress" over the injuries the theif suffered. They both won. Work that one out.

Cheers
Old 04-06-2009, 02:05 PM
HellcatAce
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Guys,

Solo is soon to be back in the saddle. The company has been sold to a gentleman in Florida who is a Meister rep as well. Here's the new website. (old with a different extension) www.soloprops.net

There is also a thread on RCSB with the whole story. Here's a link to the last page with the latest update from the new owner:

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...et=last#248425

I think you have to be a member to read the thread, but if you have one of these hubs and scale is your thing, it's worth it for sure.

As far as the products go, the machine that makes the blades with all the special profiles was included, so it looks like we will have blades again soon. The hubs will still be made by the same machine shop to ensure consistency. I know I'm placing a big order when it's time just in case.....[:-]
Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Skaweee

Thanks HellcatAce, that's great news....YIPEEEEE!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 PM
wdemon

Josh,

I am one of the guys that got one of your small hubs. I didnt get the props at the same time but I am getting ready to make an order for them. I just wanted to check and see which set up you like the most. I saw that you made the comment that you like the 18x10 on a 90SP? Is that the best set up? I want to get the 90SP so I just wanted to make sure I was ordering the right blades.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Juice

wdemon,

I personally like it set up with 18x10 props. My 90SP turned it at 4400 RPM, which is a less than normal and it'll fly a little slower also. But not too slow.

The other setup I tested was 16x12 turning at 5200-5400 RPM. This is a good all-around setup and it will fly at a more typical speed. Not as impressive on the ground, if you care about that kind of stuff.

Which ever you choose, order 4 (or more) blades so that you aren't grounded too long in case you have a ground strike.

Make sure you let everyone know how everything goes. It would also be nice to see more RPM numbers at different setups.

Josh
Old 07-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Joe Lott

Juice,

I have good and bad news. First, the good news. I had a highly skilled friend maiden my Corsair today with your prop hub and the 18" SoloProp blades with my RCV 120SP engine. All I can say is WOW! I had the prop set at 12" of pitch and it snatched the 13 lb.-4 oz. plane into the air with an authority that I never expected. My friend at the controls had to throttle back to half throttle to keep it from moving too fast! It was a sight to behold. I am convinced that this engine with your prop hub with the 18" dia. SoloProp blades is truly a "torque monster." It flew like a bat out of hades. I have video that I will post when I figure out how to post it.

Now, for the bad news. I didn't put enough receiver battery in the plane and we lost her. Actually, when we recovered the plane, the fuse was fine, but I will have to rebuild the wing and order a new cowl. Although I am a little down over the crash, I am extremely pleased with the RCV engine and your hub design. The "old pros" at the sight were highly impressed also. I will now get back to work repairing the Top Flite Corsair knowing that I don't have to worry very much about the weight. That's a big load off my mind, and I will build the wing better than before.

Thanks so much for this wonderful piece of workmanship,
Joe
Old 07-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Aluminum Overcast

Sorry to hear about your radio/battery issue Joe but glad to hear the prop and engine combo works so well. I have a world models 60 sized zero (12 lbs. dry) with a 120sp and am considering a solo prop three blader for it. Is you 18" a two blade or more? I do have a solo prop 4 blade and 120sp in a KMP spitfire but it's not ready to fly yet. The engine and prop combo on the test bench was very good however.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Joe Lott

My setup is a 3 blade prop with Josh's scaled down SoloProp hub. The blades are SoloProp Corsair profile blades.

Josh, on further investigation I discovered that I shouldn't have used a silicone exhaust deflector. The hot exhaust from the 120SP burned right through that silicone deflector, through the firewall and melted the retract hose and some wiring. Big mistake on my part. But your hub and the big SoloProp blades coupled to the 120SP will easily pull a heavier plane than I have.

I lost 2 blades in the crash but, now that SoloProps is back in business, I won't have to look elsewhere for replacements.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Juice

Joe...

I remember your Corsair was a work of art. It looked much better to show off the hub on your highly detailed Corsair than on my H9 ARF. It's unfortunate to hear about the crash. I'm glad to hear that the engine and hub worked out for you. How fast do you estimate your top speed was with the 18x12 setup? What RPM were you getting on the ground?

I learned my lesson with the RCV exhaust a couple years ago. I once had the end of the muffler rattle off my 90SP in flight. It badly scortched the plywood firewall and balsa near the exhaust. It's really hot.

Misery loves company, right? If it makes you feel any better, I also crashed my H9 Corsair last week. Flying at an unfamiliar field in a cross-wind landing. It was pure pilot error on final approach. Broke the left wing panel, left elevator, and one 18" prop blade. All is repairable/replaceable.

Josh
Old 07-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Joe Lott

Josh,

The last time I clocked it on the bench it was turning the 18x12 at 4400rpm. I don't know about the airspeed. It was VERY fast! These engines must really unload in flight. During liftoff, he eased the throttle up to get it rolling then wound it up. The tail came up almost immediately and the plane was up after another 30 feet or so. It seemed as fast, or faster than anything at our fun fly.

I have a little .50 size Zero with a SuperTigre GS45. It's a hot little engine that turns a lot more RPMs than a typical .40 class engine. It will pull the little Zeke along at a good clip. This Corsair with the 120SP will blow it away.

I don't think the damage will be as hard to repair as I first thought. The center section is undamaged and the fuse only has one superficial crack in the skin. The fuse structure is unharmed. The cowl took a beating so, If I can't repair it I'll just get another one. I'm going to find out how good I am at patchwork, though. It hurts to see a nice flying plane go in but this lion will roar again!

Joe
Old 07-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Aluminum Overcast

Hey Juice, Do you still have a few hubs around? I have a kit bashed World models Zero. I recently added panel lines and rivets....lot of rivets...that would really benefit from the smaller hub and Solo props? I need it to fit inside the spinner as the solo prop hub is just too bulky!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83153.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1244628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56077.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1244629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82806.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1244630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd88680.jpg
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1244631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu11350.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1244632  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Juice

Al-O... I still have one left. I seem to remember that the overall diameter of my hub is 3". It may still be a little big for the spinner on your Zero. But let me know if you think it will fit.

That Zero looks AMAZING!!! All those rivets looks really nice.

Josh

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.