Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flite responds to our Warbird Survey

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flite responds to our Warbird Survey

Old 04-18-2003, 10:06 PM
JDHammer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite responds to our Warbird Survey

Hello,

Many of you voted and responded to a survey last month-"The Next Top Flite Giant Scale Warbird". As promised, I printed out the voting results and your comments and they were sent to Top Flite. Today I received their response and permission to post here on RCU. Thanks to all who participated.

The following quote is from Craig Golema, Top Flite Models Product Development Manager:

"Dear JD Hammer,

I have just finished reading the results of your poll as posted on R/C Universe. I would first like to thank you for taking the time to organize the poll and compile the results. The information you provided will be a valuable asset in the decision making process for the next-round of new kit offerings from Top Flite Models. Please notice I said "next-round". The choices for all upcoming kit offerings have already been finalized and the projects are well underway.

I'm sure you can appreciate the fact that, at this time, I can't divulge any information regarding our pending releases, nor the selected subjects of any future releases. I can, however, tell you that the information you provided has served as a point of interest and will find a place of consideration in any future kit selection processes.

Contrary to popular belief, Top Flite has in no way stopped producing kits. We have, however, begun to really look at our offerings and evaluate the market. We are currently working on a number of projects - some of which will release this year - that will certainly please even the most discriminating modeler. Stay tuned and watch-out!

In closing, I'd really like to thank you and all the participants again for the comments and insight. It's feedback like this that really helps us get a feel for what the modeler desires.

With Warmest Regards,

Craig"
In addition, just like to thank Mr. Golema and Ms. Hearn for taking time to examine all the responses which were spread over seven full pages. I think their willingness to listen is very refreshing and I believe them to be a class act. Can't wait to see what comes next. JD
Old 04-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Top Flite responds to our Warbird Survey

JD,
Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see what comes of it. Pete
Old 04-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Strictly Scale
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Top Flite responds to our Warbird Survey

[:@]Do I have a story to tell about Mr Craig Golema, I will not use this forum as it is not intended for this but if anyone wants to know a little more about him E-Mail me.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:21 PM
Modelman
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Strictly Scale,

Welcome to RCU. Not sure if I know anyone in Kalamazoo.

Your very first post to RCU mentions me directly, with an unsettled undertone. How can I help you?

Craig
Old 04-28-2004, 10:48 PM
Capt. Winters
My Feedback: (8)

I don't like his tone either. Good for you Craig. Like my mother always used to say," if you do not have anything good to say about someone, do not say anything at all!!!!!! Take care Capt. Winters
Old 04-29-2004, 12:33 AM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Well said Craig!

Mark
Old 04-29-2004, 07:59 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, I'm from Kalamazoo, but I don't know any "john doe" (given name in "Strictly Scale" member profile), nor what he is alluding to. I don't see his name on my local club's (ThunderBirds R/C club) membership list either.

Anyway. I'm hoping for the reintroduction of a Zero kit, as in a Gold Edition Zero ( NOT to be confused with the rediculous Hollywood Zero, altho a reintroduction of the AT-6 would be welcome also), AND either a Hellcat or Skyraider.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:15 AM
cstevenpeterson
My Feedback: (21)

Getting back to the subject... I hope one of the new kits is an SBD-5 Dauntless. Skyshark offers a nice kit, but I would like to see something just a little larger. Thanks for the info - I will be waiting with anticipation!
Old 04-29-2004, 12:12 PM
dr_wogz

Ahh, to be burned, and hold a grudge...

I'm hopeing form somthing 'non american', to fill the 'lesser known ranks' of formidable planes produced during those years...

Is it a Buffalo?!! (the model that eventually were sold to the UK, and posted in Malaysia?!?! )
Old 04-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Hades

Would like to see a Hurricane
Old 04-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Condor

Hmm, the aggressive post by Strictly Scale is no more... I hope it was deleted by him voluntarily, and not by somebody else. While I thought the posting was not quite fair (unlike Craig's response, very classy) I wouldn't want a return to the bad old days at RCO where moderators' opinions on what was legitimate content weighed more than any objective criteria about it.

Juan M. Villaveces
Old 04-29-2004, 11:35 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frankly, I've always been frustrated with this sought of response.

Whether a manufacture responds to me personally by letter, or a posting on the website as such, it's usually the same: they are very polite, very thankfull for my patronage, AND TELL ME NOTHING! This was a LONG nothing.
Not to be rude here, but this was just a typical form letter response in style.

What would be the harm in letting me know for example, that a Giant P-47 ARF kit was in the works instead of keeping me in suspense for months. (ie; those Giant P-51 ARF's came out months ago....so is a P-47 to follow?.)

You'd think they were being asked for blue prints to a new world order.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:06 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

guess it is more to do with keeping the competition guessing then in annoying prospective customers

I'd be more interested in kits then ARFs, especially a GS P40 or Hurricane - woo hoo!
cheers
Peter
Old 04-30-2004, 07:08 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: RandallM.

Frankly, I've always been frustrated with this sought of response.

Whether a manufacture responds to me personally by letter, or a posting on the website as such, it's usually the same: they are very polite, very thankfull for my patronage, AND TELL ME NOTHING! This was a LONG nothing.
Not to be rude here, but this was just a typical form letter response in style.

What would be the harm in letting me know for example, that a Giant P-47 ARF kit was in the works instead of keeping me in suspense for months. (ie; those Giant P-51 ARF's came out months ago....so is a P-47 to follow?.)

You'd think they were being asked for blue prints to a new world order.
I've gotta agree with you here: what's the big secret, and what purpose does it serve in keeping it secret? Seems it they would loose potential customers by keeping it secret. Suppose for instance, I am hell-bent on building a 1/8 scale Hellcat as my next project, and then suppose that is exactly one of the kits Top Flite plans to introduce. Not knowing there plans, I search for thru the limited options and make a purchase. BUT, had I known that Top Flite is planning to introduce such a kit, I would have held off on purchasing anothetr kit, and waited for the Top Flite kit. The Hellcat is just an example, could be any kit.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:36 AM
f4you
My Feedback: (7)

That's EXACTLY why they don't tell you what's coming up----sales would be zero in the interim between when they tell you it's coming and when it is actually available. They'd basically be shooting themselves in the foot as far as keeping sales alive until the release of the new offering.

Meanwhile, I hope it's a Corsair
Old 04-30-2004, 08:24 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are killing me! It doesn't matter what the manufacturer says or doesn't say prior to a release, when a new kit or ARF is released you know you're going to; Bother you LHS daily till and if he gets one in, scan every website for a better price, scour every magazine for any picture of said aircraft, go to the local swapmeet and try to pawn off all your unwanted junk to gain money to buy it, save your lunch money, forget to pay the utility bill, lie to your wife or girlfriend and lose sleep until you have that kit sitting in your workshop next to the other 5 or more you did the same thing with. Why? Because you are all addicts!! Face it, you have a problem and you need to go somewhere to get help. Try the LHS. If and when TF releases a giant scale P-47 ARF you will all drool and covet it until you own it! After all, in reality, we are all nothing more then a band of grown men playing with little airplanes!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:58 AM
kram51

So Manfred, what are you trying to say?

Mark
Old 04-30-2004, 09:21 AM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was nice of Craig from Top Flite to reply, and I enjoy their Kits, but....

I learned absolutely nothing from his post. So I'll carry on with my life and wait (like the rest of you) to see what pop's up on this website and Tower's website.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

My way of thinking exactly, why the big secret? If I knew TF was coming out with a Zero, I would have waited to buy one.
Larry
Old 05-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Asanders

well for what its worth my inside info tells me it is the Giant P-47 ARF but then if my info was always correct i would do the lottery or horse racing or something else.. but alas i am an addcit to warbirds... by the way I just watched a kewl show on the 352nd squadron on the PBS station.. http://www.lastreunion.com/
Old 05-02-2004, 12:27 AM
JDHammer

In case there are any folks wondering what the result of our poll was last year, I'll give a quick summary here. The vast majority of RCU'ers wanted what can be described as a "Platinum Edition" kit. That means you wanted 1. A three view drawing included with the kit. 2. Some fiberglass parts for high stress areas. 3. Lighter weight (avoiding tail heavy CG problems). 4. Scale location of landing gear as an option. and 5. Scale outline. Other comments on the wish list were, of course-choice of a different warbird model. I seem to remember that the top 3 choices were Bearcat, Hellcat and Zero. Interestingly, no one mentioned an overwelming desire for an ARF versus a kit.

This was the information that I forwarded to Top Flite last year. Since then, there has been an ARF explosion, as you all know, and I wonder if our survey is now invalid-(I hope not!) Personally, a "Platinum Edition" giant (Bearcat,Hellcat,Zero,Hurricane,Me109) kit would have 100 times the appeal of another ARF. What do you think?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:54 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about a "Platinum Edition" giant scale ARF?
Old 05-02-2004, 08:18 AM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: MANFRED

You guys are killing me! It doesn't matter what the manufacturer says or doesn't say prior to a release, when a new kit or ARF is released you know you're going to; Bother you LHS daily till and if he gets one in, scan every website for a better price, scour every magazine for any picture of said aircraft, go to the local swapmeet and try to pawn off all your unwanted junk to gain money to buy it, save your lunch money, forget to pay the utility bill, lie to your wife or girlfriend and lose sleep until you have that kit sitting in your workshop next to the other 5 or more you did the same thing with. Why? Because you are all addicts!! Face it, you have a problem and you need to go somewhere to get help. Try the LHS. If and when TF releases a giant scale P-47 ARF you will all drool and covet it until you own it! After all, in reality, we are all nothing more then a band of grown men playing with little airplanes!
Most of this is true, but I fail to see what the "problem" is and why we "need to go somewhere to get help". After all, unlike an alchohic, we do not regularly skip work because of our "problem" (we can't afford to, gotta save up for that next kit/ engine/ radio/ one of the above/ all of the above), and we always remember where we left our car/ truck (at the flying site OR LHS).

Anyway, in addition to adding new kits and/ or introducing the Platinum series, Top Flite REALLY needs to start making pilots for these kits again. Suppliers of full body pilots in the 1/7 ~ 1/8 scale range are hard to find. As I am writing this, there are 3 of the discontinued Top Flite warbird pilots listed on eBay. It's been quite awhile since any of these have showed up, and the prices are reflecting the demand: each currently has bids which exceed the Tower Hobbies catalog (2000) prices (NOT the sales price). I was going to bid on one or more, but bidding is getting too high.

Message to Top Flite: PLEASE make these available again, as many of us warbird pilots wouldn't think of having our warbirds fly with a pilotless look.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:07 PM
june-bug

The business I'm in has problems letting out info for 1 reason and only 1 reason. We had the only company in North America that did what we do! Started it 8 years ago and 3 years ago we hit our first million in profits! In the last two years 3 of my employees split from the company and went out to beat my patents by changing things just slightly on some of my original ideas.....and some stuff they changed drastically and yet they have even invented new stuff that works more efficiently. Hats off to them....no grudge here. But ....(and there's always a big but) 2 of them went to Australia....Hit it big there.....Made a bunch of money and moved back home......set up shop 400 yds down the road from me. Point of this random verbal diarehha is that sometimes you have to keep your mouth shut on certain ideas and projects because if the other guy knows you are the type that does their homework and does expensive market studies to find out want the industries want improved or changed for the better.....then you shoot your mouth off about whats going on .....then they can build and market their inferior product before you. Once theirs is out there and bought up, if the consumer isn't happy then you think they will spend more on your product if all they have is your word that yours is better. They are already tired of problems accosiated with that product no matter who makes it! It's human nature and I found out the hard way. So BRAVO to Top Flight for keeping their lips tight this long!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-02-2004, 06:19 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: JDHammer

In case there are any folks wondering what the result of our poll was last year, I'll give a quick summary here. The vast majority of RCU'ers wanted what can be described as a "Platinum Edition" kit. That means you wanted 1. A three view drawing included with the kit. 2. Some fiberglass parts for high stress areas. 3. Lighter weight (avoiding tail heavy CG problems). 4. Scale location of landing gear as an option. and 5. Scale outline.
Oh, well...they have been beat to it by Skyshark...a 1/6 ME-109E with glass parts.

Top Flite missed the boat and some money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.