Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

air retract valves

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

air retract valves

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 12:03 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default air retract valves

well I was working this morning finishing up my retract plumbing when I got to the valve installation on my P-47 I am using the CJ gear and when I charged up the system all I got was a hissing sound, the retract valve wouldn't hold air and when I did get it to hold a charge any movement of the piston and pressure was done and no movement to boot.
I also have a extra valve from my FW 190 gear so I gave it a try and the same result.
having read of this before about the CJ valves I wasn't to totally surprised but I was making some major progress so I was pretty pissed off to say the least.

so I pulled my robart valve from another plane and used that,and all was working fine, I would prefer to use a robart any way but I noticed the robart was also loosing exessive air from the adjustment screws,its been sitting for quite some time but had never done this before.

this is where I think I might of blown it I poped one of the retainer clips off and pulled the slide out thinking it needed some grease in the fitting,I lubed up the piston and reassembled it, and now the problem has gotten worse,it only holds air when the screws are shut down resulting in no gear action, to the point that I am stuck with a bunch of nothing to do on a rainy day.

so after making a short story long, is there a trick that I am missing,have I screwed up all these valves or should I box up these valves and send them in for a rebuild its the first time I have had any trouble with the robart valve so I am a little perplexed,if theres somthing I am missing please help.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:40 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: air retract valves

bigtim, I would bypass the valve completly and make sure that you don't have a piston leaking on a retract. If this happens then air leaks past the piston seal on the retract back up the other line and then leak out the bleeds on the valve. So check each retract seperatly and see.

Randy
Old 02-24-2008, 02:39 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: air retract valves

its pretty obvious when the air is blowing my hair back from the valve, where the leak is coming from the system was working fine until the robart valve started acting up and was holding a steady 80lbs which had me looking towards the finish line,and finalizing the radio install.
I already ordered a new robart valve and a larger tank from Towerhobbies since I have a retractable tail wheel as well as the mains, it will take a couple of days I was hoping there was a fix or repair I could do in my shop, so I didn't have to send any of them back,they seem like such simple little set ups,the CJ's seem to have something not right about them but the robart valve has given me some good service,I think taking it apart was a mistake,I am pretty good with machinery so I think its just a case of inexpierence and my wanting to get it together right now.
I feel like I triped on a pebble holding a boulder [:@]