Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

B-25 Hangar 9 or Top Flite

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

B-25 Hangar 9 or Top Flite

Old 03-19-2008, 08:27 PM
alfredbmor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B-25 Hangar 9 or Top Flite

Hi all:
I'd like to know which B-25 warbird do you think is the most realistic version:
Top Flite or Hangar 9
Please post your comments.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:05 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: B-25 Hangar 9 or Top Flite

I like the scheme of the H-9 better, but I think the fit/finish of the Top Flite is nicer, just my opinion, though, and I like the larger size of the TF version; of course, that means more $$ for bigger engines, etc. Even with the difference in size, wing loadings are very close to the same.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61...tm.htm#6164430
Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Rip n Bank

ORIGINAL: khodges

I like the scheme of the H-9 better, but I think the fit/finish of the Top Flite is nicer, just my opinion, though, and I like the larger size of the TF version; of course, that means more $$ for bigger engines, etc. Even with the difference in size, wing loadings are very close to the same.
In about a month (hopefully), there will be a third choice: KMP's second generation B-25.

96" wingspan, composite fuselage, VERY scale design, and flat finishing. She'd take a pair of Saito 100's, instead of the 82's one might put in the Topflite. The list price (with built-up wing) is only $50 more than the TF, and if your budget is BIG you can go for the composite wing for an extra $400!

5th gen pneumatic retracts (which have received good reviews) bundled for $250 more. No idea when Robart or Sierra alternatives might be available.

Early pics of this new KMP Mitchell below.

Mine's on order!

Rip
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51198.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	908417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78098.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	908418   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24247.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	908419  
Old 03-20-2008, 02:34 PM
alfredbmor

Is it me or there is something wrong in the Top Flite B-25 design:
I can see the fuse is so square; from many pictures that I have seen of the real B-25 the fuse is rounded.
Because of the price you are paying for a war bird like this I would expect a little more detail in those areas. I have seen that the Hangar 9 is smaller but at first look have better detail than the Top Flite. I have to say that I have only seen them in pictures trough the web so I can not say exactly the grade of accurate in detail of both airframes.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 PM
alfredbmor

Rip n Bank:
The KMP has been a good choice since the first edition of the b-25 but I just do not like how the parts come together, they do not have a nice look when the final assembly looks like many plastic parts bolt together leaving a lot of unfinished parts at simple sight. On the other hand I thing that the design is more accurate than the top flite and hangar 9.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as appearance goes, I wish all of them could come "unadorned", with a sheet of high quality vinyl decals of the the official insignia (stars/bars, etc) and then you could customize it with your own preference of nose art and group/squadron markings. Make the ARF a little less an ARF.

I've liked this plane ever since I first read "30 Seconds Over Tokyo". I think I'd have to have the crossed crutches of the "Ruptured Duck" on mine.

If ever I get one of these, it will be the same plans Hahn's is from.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:00 AM
tevans55

I don't think any of the 3 mentioned ARF's are super scale but they all can be made to strongly "resemble" your favorite B-25. I changed all the markings on mine as well as the machine guns, tail blister, radiators, antenna, and added a pitot tube, deicing strips and windows. For me, the the enjoyment of building one of these ARF's is making it your own with your own touches of creativity...and it doesn't cost a fortune and take a year or more to build.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I changed all the markings on mine as well as the machine guns, tail blister, radiators, antenna, and added a pitot tube, deicing strips and windows.
I was unaware that the B-25, having air cooled engines, had radiators. Where are they and what are they used for?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:00 AM
tofly
My Feedback: (2)

Steve you are correct doesn"t have radiators but I think they might be refering to the oil coolers which are located in wings the inlets are just outboard of the engine nacelles and exit top rear of wing
Old 03-21-2008, 09:51 AM
alanc

you can say this about ours, and not the others? take this qoete, from the twins threads, The new ESM B25 was exhibited by KMP (wram show) it blew the hanagr 9 and top flite one out of the water, not my words, a customers, we have worked hard on the new, bigger version, go take a look, enlarge the 1st picture above, it makes your hair stand on end!! its not my polocy to comment on other companys products, but, this is one bird that is above and beyond
Old 03-21-2008, 09:52 AM
alanc

ORIGINAL: alfredbmor

Rip n Bank:
The KMP has been a good choice since the first edition of the b-25 but I just do not like how the parts come together, they do not have a nice look when the final assembly looks like many plastic parts bolt together leaving a lot of unfinished parts at simple sight. On the other hand I thing that the design is more accurate than the top flite and hangar 9.

just insert this at the start of the above, makes sense then, sorry
Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Can you say that about your instruction manual?
Old 03-21-2008, 06:11 PM
alanc

I know where you are coming from, but they are outside my remit, my point is with the aircraft in general, but, i am sure you know this, dont you?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Kirk RC
My Feedback: (4)

Having flown all 3 by far the Hanger 9 is the best flyer and IMO has plenty of scale touches. Plus the support both instructions and customer service is super. The KMP is very interesting and has more scale appeal but I fly my planes not just look at them from 2' away. As said so often if you want extreme scale build it, if you want to fly and enjoy the great look and have 110% avaliable customer support H9 is the best balance.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Charles Thomas
My Feedback: (43)

How long is the KMP B-25 going to be when it comes out?

Charles
Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 AM
tevans55

ORIGINAL: tofly

Steve you are correct doesn"t have radiators but I think they might be refering to the oil coolers which are located in wings the inlets are just outboard of the engine nacelles and exit top rear of wing
Hi tofly-
This is a good question for Hanger 9...they refer to these inlets on the wing just outside of the cowls as radiators on page 72 of the manual and in all of their replacement parts information. I don't know the answer but now I am curious to know if those are oil coolers?
Tim
Old 03-24-2008, 07:40 PM
alfredbmor

ORIGINAL: alanc

you can say this about ours, and not the others? take this qoete, from the twins threads, The new ESM B25 was exhibited by KMP (wram show) it blew the hanagr 9 and top flite one out of the water, not my words, a customers, we have worked hard on the new, bigger version, go take a look, enlarge the 1st picture above, it makes your hair stand on end!! its not my polocy to comment on other companys products, but, this is one bird that is above and beyond
Alanc:
Ironically I have only seen (on person) the KMP version which is on sale in my LHS and my comments come from what I have seen. Do not get me wrong, I really like your version it is very scale like. I just (personally) do not like all that fiberglass parts that are assembled over others parts. As a long time kit builder, it just mean a patched plane for me (only for me), but remember I do not know personally the top flite and hangar 9 versions.
In the other hand (no trying to create controversy) I think that been into the KMP staff, impartiality is compromised.
But let this thread go on its own way and see what other B-25 (Top Flite, Hangar 9 and KMP) owners think about their airframes.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 PM
alanc

AH i understand, then to be fair, you have to take in the looks of the other 2, our new version is a quantum leap ahead of our old version, give yourself a treat, and go look at one when it gets there,