Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
 VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread >

VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:04 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread

Yes nice report , I have the VQ P40 and while impressed with the fit , the overall quality and flying habbits I was still some what concrned over the brittle wood that seems to be used in these planes
I still may get one of these babys
Old 03-21-2008, 02:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmv

Hi Carlos,

I just bought the model. I'm not sure why it shows my posts as being from 2004???

Because I was looking at your "Membership add date!"
Old 08-15-2008, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the Hurricane aswell and hoped that the desert camo would be tan and tan. I too did not do my research and would probably have opted for the more accurate blue and grey altough I am not to sure that I wouldn't lose it in the clouds. What are your thoughts about painting the black with green and drawing the panel lines back on, is it do able or just wishfull thinking. Has anybody tried to paint these arfs or rip all the covering off and recover it. I am a builder who has been out of the hobby for 8 years and I am finding it hard to resist all these ARFs. Worst case scenerio I use the model to get more stick time while I build a more Scale Hurricane.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:01 PM

What Happen Guys ? Seems everyone in this Thread just stoped all of a sudden on the Nitro set up. The VOLT guys just gave it -ell on thair build and i would like some input from the guys that are building the Nitro Birds. I would like to build the Hurricane with a RCV-91 if it would fit in the Cowl with nothing sticking out but the muffler & niddle valve. The Electrics look good but too much Headache for me for only Five minuets flying tine.So come on Guys ,lets hear for the nitro Boys. Thanks RotoBuzz
Old 08-29-2008, 03:20 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Hi

I have one of these with a RCV 120. The idea of the RCV 120 was to allow me to use a 3 blade with good flight speed since the engine is way to big for this model.

Plus it can use the nose weight.

The model flys very well overall. I had a dead stick landing due to the muffler falling off. The model had a hard landing via tip stall that tore out one of the landing gear. No big deal.

The covering is, as always a temporary item. It will loosen and come off. Unless you heat it regularly.

Steve
Old 08-30-2008, 06:30 PM

I too acted in hast and purchased the desert camo. When I saw that it was a sea Hurricane I thought what the heck. i did some searching and found that there were actually some desert types flying off carriers in malta etc. I found a site that has a large number of examples. The closest one that I could find was a sea huuricane at this site ( http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/79/9/14/127 ) so I am modeling mine after this one and leaving it as is but changing the letter on the side leaving the 7. Have you flown yet, what was the final weight, if you have made it that far and finally I noticed that there is no mention of dihedral. What did you use? Another fellow used 2.3 inches, an old set of plans for a Hurricane that I have shows 7/8 of an inch under the wing tip.
any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2008, 09:32 AM

Hi All.
We need to get this thread cranked up a little so maybe I can help get it going.
I just received my VQ Hurricane 60. Got the grey green version.
First impressions - seems a little small for a 60 size.
Am also a little iffy on the covering but will go with it to see how it performs. Read in another post the best way to tighten the material up if it sags or wrinkles is to spray it with Windex. If it is vinyl that should work because of vinyl's memory.
Started to dry fit the wing and was diappointed. The left wing panel fit fine but the right panel was a very poor fit with slight over 1/16 gap at the leading and trailing edge. Now I have to start sanding to get them to mate up properly.
One little gripe I have is the size of the patch material they provide. Its not quite long enough to cover the seams in the wing panels (like H9) and on the left panel the camo pattern runs 3/4 of the wing which means patching 2 colors over the seam.
Other than the wing the rest of the plane seems to be pretty good build quality but wish they had taken the time to paint the canopy. Applying vinyl or color matching with paint is a pita.
So overall impressions:
Like the fact somebody does something other than P-51's and Spits (ie Hurricane, 205 , Mig3)
Like the color schemes and details like panel lines etc.
Like the overall build quality (except for the poor fit on one wing panel - mine must have been built late Friday) especially all the anchor points for the control wires/tubes out to the tail (unlike H9)
Like the fact they got rid of the strip ailerons that were on earlier models.
Dislike the size - this is not really 60 size imho but a oversized 40.
Dislike the fact you have to patch strips to cover the wing panel joints.
Dislike the fact the canopy wasn't painted after all they painted the cowl so they had the paint to match
Dislike the fact there does not appear to be any sigs of epoxy used in the firewall area.
Now I realize this is an arf and for the price one should expect to have to do a bit of work and I don't have a problem with that.
But considering the size (lack of), its shortcomings noted above and the final price landed vs H9 - imho H9 offers better value. But VQ does offer a more interesting assortment of models.
Would I purchase another VQ plane. Don't know until I see how this one flies.
If anyone is interested I will try and post photos as I go along.
Byron

Old 08-31-2008, 10:35 AM

Please Do ByronF ,would like to see what Engine you plan to in stall. i like everything neat. and if i build this Model i,m thinking of an RCV 90 SP to go in that small Cowl. Please us Posted. Jerry B.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:26 PM

Jerry
Was going to take a pic to show the gap on the right wing panel but the dig camera battery needs to be recharged. Dang.
I am just going to install an HB 61 PDP Blitz - 2C motor that I have had NIB for 15 years. Undecided if it will be inverted or side mounted.
2C motors are a real pita inverted as you know but at least that way can use the original muffler. If I run it inverted all the cowl hacking will be on the bottom at least.
Your choice for an RCV90 SP is pretty awesome. Quite the motor. Isn't it worth more than the plane? With this motor and the shape of the cowl with the big spinner you are going to have hack some holes for air in and out -so I guess if you run inverted you are ok but how do you get to that starter thingy they have?
On reading their web site see they suggest 15-18 props. Are you gonna have enough ground clearance?
Byron
Old 09-08-2008, 09:42 PM

This past weekend it rained so couldn't go flying and couldn't cut the lawn or wash the boss lady's car. Ho hum what to do. I know lets do some work on the Hurricane. Well after a fair bit of sanding of the ply brace and the right wing panel I was finally able to get the gap closed well enough that I could glue the wing together. Then installed the aileron servos. Went to do the flaps and on both sides the tubes for the joiner wire for the split flaps did not line up. So now I have to cut the tubes out on the outside flap on both wings, insert the joiner and then re-glue the copper tube in the new location. No big deal but more work than I wanted to do.
I want to fly this thing this season before the weather gets bad so I may just tape the flaps closed, fly it and repair it over the winter. Now starting on the fuse, got the tailwheel installed and getting ready to do the stab. Don't like the idea of using CA as suggested in the manual so have to figure out how to get (enough) epoxy in there. Need to give that some thought. Must say the manufacturing tolerances on this VQ plane are pretty tight. Does not sound like a lot of progress I know but I was repairing 2 other planes at the same time so I got a little distracted. Will try and get some photos to post. Don't want to disappoint anyone but I am doing this Hurricane completely stock and with fixed gear. I have had enough of mechanicals on my H9 planes and am not prepared to spend money on airs for this plane until I know how it flys and maybe not even then. If it flys well then I will probably leave it that way and use it as my everyday flyer. The one thing I am waffling on is engine. Was initially planning on a 2C - HB61 but it does not like to be inverted. So now am considering a 4C and was looking at the Magnum that Tomas sells.
Anyone have any experience with these motors. Are they any good? How do they compare to Saito or OS?
Would appreciate any comments.
Byron
Old 09-09-2008, 03:42 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi guys I too have a VQ models Hurricane 60 size.
I have put a YS 91 in mine with a 13x8 3 blade prop and a custom made alloy spinner.
I purchased some retracts for it from VQ.
The build was quite easy and the overall looks are ok.
I test flew it on sunday just gone and was not impressed.
It takes a fair bit of nose weight to balance correctly even with the YS up front and battery mounted on the engine box.
I had to add about 80 gramms of lead to the engine mount to achieve it.
On take off it wants to nose over, so you have to use a fair amount of up elevator and a good thumbfull of power to stop it from biting the ground.
Once airborne it only required a couple of clicks of up trim and it was hands off. The YS 91 pulls it around with ease and has heaps of power for this size model.
The funny thing was that it tended to wallow and felt very sloppy on the ailerons unless you had a fair bit of power on.
Maybe I had a little too much expo on them, but havent checked that as yet.
My feelings are that with the 13x8 3 blader its not getting enough airflow over the control sufaces and this is causing the problem.
I will try a 2 blade prop next time and see if that helps.
On landing with full flaps its quite easy to land but the retracts from VQ are crap and as soon as it touched down one of the wheels folded up.
No damage to anything, just very annoying.
I found the wire they supply for the retracts, not the legs them selves but the wire going to the actuating arms is to thin and soft and as soon as there is pressure on them they collapse.
I will be refitting the retarcts with 4-40 wires and see how that goes.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 AM
My Feedback: (27)

Illusion, sounds like your retract push rods are not extending enough as the retract units will lock into the down and up positions and no force on landing should cause them to collapse. If the rods are not pushing the gear into the locked position this is a servo or servo arm situation.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:54 PM

Hi guys.
I really like the look of this model.
Difficult to find a decent artf Hurricane.

Does anyone know which name VQ goes under in the UK.
Or anywhere i could get hold of one of these in the UK.

Thanks.
Andrew.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:21 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi manfred, this is what I first thought and had already checked and adjusted these rods previously before test flying.
I forgot to mention that I had them collapse while doing some taxiing runs.[ran out of room in post]
They seemed very tight in the locked down position.
It seems that the pressure of landing etc just bends the wire enough to make them let go.
I have had plenty of other brands of retracts before these on other planes and have never had them unlock like these.
As a matter of interest, when I first purchased these retracts from my LHS I found one leg did not operate properly straight from the packet, and returned them to the LHS for a replacement set which after inspection they happily replaced.
So it seems that they are just crap and require some modification to bring them up to scratch.
Thanks for your comments though all feedback is good feedback.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 PM

Well finally got my Hurricane finished and my new OS 91FS bench run. That was exciting running the engine. I installed the supplied VQ spinner to make it easier to use the electric starter. The spinner lasted about 2 minutes. It just blew apart and heat from the drive washer softened the spinner back plate. So I had to switch to a metal spinner and that cured that problem. Was really hoping to maiden it this weekend but alas could not find enough weights in the shop to balance it properly.
Like Illusion mentioned in an earlier post I am going to need about 12oz of lead in the nose to get this plane to balance. So now the long trek to the LHS to find a pile of weights to balance this thing. Hope the weather holds and maybe I can maiden it next weekend.
ByronF
Old 10-19-2008, 10:13 AM

you will get this model from slough radio control models or hobbystores in the uk
Old 10-19-2008, 11:58 AM

Tried them already mate. None in stock.
Im getting my YT FW190 ready at the minute.
May get the hurri after that.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 PM

Well I maidened my Hurricane today - may it rest in peace.
Like illusion I had to add a pile of lead up front for balance - 14oz. My OS 91FS performed beautifully after only 3 tanks on the test bench.
I opted for fixed gear to see if I was gonna like the plane before going with retracts. Taxi test were fine with good control and not too much bounce even with all the lead up front. But like illusion takeoff was a handful. As it powers up it wants to nose over so had to squeeze some up in to get it back level and then it wants to launch before it has enough speed. Good thing the engine kicked in right away and got me out of trouble. Mine needed 2 clicks of right aileron and 2 clicks up elevator for level flight. Should have dialed in some expo because it was very touchy even at the recommended throws. My suggestion to anyone trying this plane is to use dual rates with low set at about 80% and expo about 25%. This should make it a little less touchy. Other than that it flew nicely. Looked real pretty on slowish flyby about 30ft up. The crowd loved it. Then took it up high and did a number of passes where I chopped the throttle and it stalled straight ahead. Thought great all that dumb lead is good for something. The came time for landing. Still fairly high up turned on final about 1/4 throttle and bang tip stall, went straight in like a dart.
Moral of the story use the rates and expo to help keep the turns flatter. So have just finished salvaging what hardware and pieces I could and the rest went into the garbage bag. Managed to save the canopy. Wonder if Holman still has plans for the Taylor Hurricane? Oh well on to the next one.
ByronF
Old 10-20-2008, 05:26 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

sorry to hear about your loss . I have the VQ P40 , been about 5 years now , while I like the VQ brand , there are so many arfs in there size class now that are much lighter and need very little to achieve CG .
THe recent additions of Black Horse models ect seem to be a good choice in this class .
Good luck with your next plane and I hope you can salvage parts from the crash
Old 10-20-2008, 09:38 AM
My Feedback: (131)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch, Sorry to hear that.
I've had several VQ's and each time I get one, I claim I'll never get another, but they have such a good variety of harder to find planes (P-51B, Hurricane and Mig). Biggest complaints I have are excessive weight, and material constructed of, which ties back to the weight (I've bought .40 size birds only although I'd like the .60 Hurricane or KI84). I attribute this to low quality balsa (brittle ), heavy covering.
My .40 size hurricane tip stalled at 3' AGL and cartlwheeled on the grass. it's all still held together by the heavy shelf paper, but it feels like a bag of toothpics inside.
I wish Kyosho, BHM, or H9 would come out with more as I've been thoroughly pleased with those brands. Overall, the VQ birds aren't bad planes, but one must manage their expectations of what they're getting.. I hope the rest of you keep this thread up as I'm hoping for more positive responses, so you'l talk me into getting one... to re-cover.
Keep those RAF birds flying!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:07 AM
My Feedback: (21)

Sorry for the loss of your Hurricane. I have a VQ Macchi with a 70 4S. It has been a really gerat plane. I did replace the retracts, but other than that (and wrinkled covering) I have had no problems with mine. Another club member has the P-51B. BOth fly fine after a few minor adjustments. One of these days I might even get the KI-61
Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 AM

Thank you all for your condolences on the loss of my Hurricane. As a wise man told me 30 years ago when I got into this hobby "if you can't handle a crash don't fly cause they all end up in a green garbage bag sooner or later". He was quite right but I would have hoped for more than one flight. While VQ does offer some very unique models and the build quality (joints) looks pretty good the material they use is overly heavy and hard. At this point I don't think I will try another VQ plane because H9 and Top Flite certainly offer lighter weight good flyers. Have been reading the threads on BH and they seem to be good so may give one of these a go.
I still want a Hurricane in the fleet and if I can get the Taylor plans from Holman and a new cowl from Thomas (I still have my canopy) I may just build a new one. Had a Taylor Hurricane 10 years ago and it was a great plane - sorry now I sold it.
Anyway I will continue to follow this thread with interest and wish you Hurri drivers to be better luck with yours.
ByronF
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 PM

That really sucks to hear that yet another VQ hurricane has bit the dust. Mine is still in peices and I am working on painting the black or dark brown sections olive drab to get a more historical look. I am sure that I will pay for this vanity with extra weight even though I weigh each part before and then after painting and the weight change is next to nothing.
Do you happen to know what the weight of your bird was and did you have it slowwed down alot when she went in. ...............ok, yes I am clutching at straws, I am looking for some reason to continue on with this project, I mean other than the $219 I spent. I would also like to know if anyone has had some long term success with thier plane.
I have a Thunder tiger fs91 that I am planing on putting in this plane however I had it in a 9 pound ultra sport 60 and it was barley enough power. I was using a 14x6 prop which only turned about 8000rpm, I tried a smaller courser prop with worse performance. I am really concerned that this motor does not have enough power for the hurricane.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:16 PM

Smithfallsbirdguy
Good luck with your Hurricane. In answer to some of your questions I don't know what the finished weight was what I do know is that it took 14oz of lead up front to balance to the rear most point specified. This did not seem to matter much. When I was test in flight up high and pulled the power back it just sank straight ahead so I thought I was ok. Dumb move number one.
I have other 60 size warbirds that are glass clothed/painted and they felt lighter than this bird so I would be hesistant to be adding ANY extra weight until you have at least tried the plane.
I was using an OS91FS which was plenty of power. So your 91 should do the job just fine.
On reflecting back on my crash I would say the problem was the pilot forgot to compensate for the extremely sensitive aileron controls and got too hard over, stalled the wing and dropped like a rock even though I still had at least 1/4 throttle on. This was not a stall on final at low speed. I was a good 100ft up and turning to final, obviously the turn was to hard and too steep.Dumb move number two.
My advice if I may is before you take it up setup your dual rates and expo. Low rates should be no more than 80% of suggested throws and expo should be at least 25-30%. I failed to do this. Dumb move number three.
If you are interested I can make you a good deal on a custom made weight box for this plane - its color matched to the firewall, comes with the weights expoxied in and is pre-drilled for easy attachment to the engine mount and is fuel proofed with epoxy - LOL!!
I have managed to save most of the hardware and the canopy from the plane and will be using them on a Brian Taylor Hurricane. I just ordered the plans and cowl from Holman plans this week - so that will be my winter project. Gotta have a Hurricane - its different. I have seen enough Mustangs and Spitfires.
Good luck with yours and keep us posted on how it goes.
ByronF
Old 10-25-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I weighed mine before balcancing and it weighs 7 1/2 lbs. Looks like 12 ozs to balance it so we are talking close to 8 1/2lbs which doesn't seem excessive for this size wing. The tail surfaces are small. Close to scale and if my Brian Taylor Tempest was an example of how one behaves with a small elevator you will have to get the travel and expo sit right on this one. Have yet to fly it so will let you know how it goes possilby later this coming week. SAm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.