Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
 VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread >

VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread

Hey Hellcat
Did you forget to weigh the the motor? ......... haha. but seriously there must be a big differnce in the weights of these birds out of the box. Just for fun when I got mine I took all the pieces, the motor and radio equipment and weighed them all, it was just under nine pound and I hadn't started the assembly.
I met another fellow from a club near Ottawa ont. and he had had 1 filght on his and crashed after half a circuit. He was using fixed gear and felt the plane was tail heavy and it would be closer to ten pounds when he gets it balanced properly. It seems that along with excessive weight the ailerons are very sensitive. I watched a Utube video of a guy test flying an electric converted one, if you watch this video it appears to be very twitchy on roll. Weather is changing quickly here in the great white North and I sure would like to get a coulpe of flights in before winter. I guess I should spend more time at the work bench instead of the computer.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:05 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI All

Been working on the CMP 109, so I have set the Hurricane aside. But just for the sake of info, my 60 size hurricane weighs in at 9lbs 9oz. CGed where I normally figure for warbirds like this. I feel that my CG location is what saved the dead stick slope soar "ditch" landing. Its ready to go again, but the RCV 120 engine is a hard one the find a good 3 blade for this model. Again, too much engine for this plane, might put a .90 magnum 2 stroke.

All my Hurricanes always needed nose ballast to CG. Kinda like a scale Zero, AT6, Hellcat that do not have elongated nose sections. Close to scale out line will cause a need for ballast under most conditions, unless of course one puts large heavy engine in it.

Also the model is very similar to the Brian Taylor version. The cowl and spinner are pretty much the same. Along with the tail sections.

I have a pretty good collection of B Taylor models in storage. Off the top of my head: aprox spans; Hellcat 64" P-51D 69" Hurr 68", Spit 68", 2 BF109F 61", BF 109E 68", Corsair 75".

I think thats it.

They are some of the finest of scale and size in my opinion.

Steve
Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 AM

hi andrew, i had to order my focke wolfe direct from VQ because no one had it in the uk it takes 6-10 to get here you will pay £35 p&p though
ian
Old 10-26-2008, 06:24 PM

Once ive flown my YT FW190 i will try Hobby Stores again and see if they have any in stock.
They had the .46 size models but not the .60 one.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You had me doubting if I weighed it right so I tried it again and still got 7 1/2 lbs without the nose weight or battery and cowl. I put 10 ozs of nose weight right at the front of the motor mount and the battery underneath the box at the firewall. The pictures will show what the total weight is so these models must vary quite a bit in weight. I must have gotten a light one. I will have to take a little nose weight out because I forgot to put the muffler on. As you can see the balance is pretty close at 3 1/2 inches back. Sam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54020.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1059766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65976.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1059767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gm22023.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1059768  
Old 10-26-2008, 11:05 PM

So figure between 9 and 9.5 lbs. i tend to favor nose heavy oppose to tail.

Steve
Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 PM

I agree, slightly nose heavy is better, especially for first flights. I figure the wing area of this plane is roughly 650 inches. At 9 lbs the wing loading is 32 ozs per sq ft. This is not for the newbie. Most trainers are around 20 ozs. Alo with the small tail surfaces this plane will be a little harder to fly. What happens is the elevator doesn't have much span and if you get the nose high the wing blanks the el out. If you think you need more up you keep pulling until the el finally does bite and then it will stall very easily. I also found that the flap connection isn't very desirable. It tends to bind and put an unecessary load on the flap servo. What I did was take the tubes out and slot both flaps. Then I glued a pinned hinge to one side and let the other side float. This is very similar to the full size operation and works very well. The next problem I had was the the rudder and tail wheel push rods to me need to be reversed. I like less throw on the wheel than the rudder so I had to cross them. I hope the pictures will be self explanatory. If anyone has any questions, let me know. I have also uploaded the pictures of how I do my nose weight. This gets it as far forward as possible. I have this system on several models and it works out very well. Sam

Name:	Zx69835.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1059996   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50548.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1059997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot47174.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1059998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd86921.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1059999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj63467.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1060000  
Old 10-30-2008, 12:59 PM

hi andrew,ive just got my focke wolf from the states after i paid another £29.71p in import tax and clearance feeso it has cost me nearly £200,it had better be worth it.
ian
Old 10-30-2008, 02:03 PM

Hi Ian

Is that the YT International one or the VQ one.
I havent seen the VQ FW190 yet.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 PM

I maidened mine today. It didn't seem to have any bad tendencies. It took several clicks of down trim but no aileron trim to fly level. I' will have to check the rigging of the elevator to see if I need to mechcanically trim it down. Take offs and landings were nice. It was a little windy but mostly straight down the runway so no problem. I set the flaps up on a three position switch and used half flaps to land with. My plactic spinner stayed together but I used a chichen stick to start it with. An electric starter will grind a spot on one in a hurry. I didn't use the supplyed wheels as mine had so much runout. I used 3 inch robart scale wheels. It looks like a keeper. Sam
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 PM

hellcat1

Congrats on your flight. Ialso fell this is a good rendition of this airframe

STeve
Old 10-31-2008, 11:09 AM

hi andrew,its the VQ model,no one has it in the uk yet thats why i had to inport it,there is a build forum on here or go to VQ's web site
ian
Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello All,

Thought I would join in. I've had a VQ 60 size Hurricane flying about 6 months with 50 or so flights on it. Some advice. Put about a 1/4 inch block under the rear gear mount screw. This will move the axle forward about an inch and really helps the nose over problems. It is not noticable and also allows the wheel to lay flatter in the well. I use the VQ retracts with Robo struts. I had to use a larger diameter push rod from the servo to the gear, otherwise it wouldn't lock down or would not lock up. Power is a Thunder Tiger 91 FS. With a two blade 14-6 power is adiquate. I tried it with a 3 blade prop but performance was sluggish.
Flying charateristics are ok. Use of a little rudder helps the turns. I had to add some nose weight but don't know how much as it did'nt weigh the lead before bolting it to the engine mount. Also mounted the receiver battery in front of the firewall. Use the forward cg on the plans. Also the control throws on he plans are a good place to start. My plane came out weighing 9lbs one ounce. On take off I ease in the power while holding up elevator, once it gets moving I ease off the elevator and the tail comes up. Some right rudder is required to keep it straight. Once to tail is up I let it accelarate and the rotate.

The model will fly fairly slow, but when it stalls it will fall off on the left wing. I normally use full flaps for landings. They really help slow it down. I usually will try to carry a little extra speed the chop the throttle just over the threshold do a wheel landing on the main. Let it roll and let the tail come down itself. If you force the tail down you will be flying again. It looks good doing a low pass and rolls, loops, cuban eights etc. There is a slight down pitch change with gear and flap extension, but not enough to be concerned about. At the last local warbird fly it was the only Hurricane there. There are some pictures of the plane if I can upload them.

Name:	Tr49650.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1063088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70535.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1063089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32541.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1063090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49079.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1063091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86154.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	1063092  
Old 10-31-2008, 09:45 PM

RBean I did the same thing . 1/4 inch shim behind the back screw on the retacts. My take off sequence is the same as yours as I take off that way all the time. Hold it straight with the rudder, keeeping the wing level with the ailerons until reaching a reasonable altitude before starting a turn. I'm using an O.S. 91 Surprass with a 14-6 prop and it will really scoot and has all the vertical I want. I can't find any recommended control throws on my plans so I just sort of had to guess. I usually fly on low rate and 25 percent expo. Even then I get a fairly fast roll rate.I balanced mine at the rear point on the plans with the wheels retracted. Didn't try a full stall as it was too windy I thought to try that. Like to do that on a calmer day. I had the same trouble with one of my retracts and found that the wheel was going so far into the wheel that it was causing the slide to not be able to lock it up. I just bent the strut out a little from the spring and it looks better anyway as they were sort of tilted in at the wheel. This let the slide go far enough to lock up the retract. Haven't tried too much with just two flights but will wring it out the next good day we have. Sam
Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM
My Feedback: (77)

Rbean,

Great JOB!! Good photos! any videos or photos of yours inflight???

WE just shipped one to Norway! If anyone in Europe needs any VQ WARBIRDS... we do ship many overseas!

These come in .40 and .60 size

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/products/a...rricane40.html

http://www.vqwarbirds.com/products/a...rricane60.html

-CHEERS!

-TOMAS
www.vqwarbirds.com
[email protected]
Old 11-29-2008, 09:21 AM

Here is a picture of mine with a little color added and a picture of the the real 7L

Name:	Jh17119.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1080716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46314.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1080717  
Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 AM

I've been reading this thread with interest and decided i'm gonna have to get one to go with my spit, Me 109 and FW 190, i need a hurri. will keep you all posted on how i get on

Deano
Old 11-29-2008, 02:06 PM

There is one dealer in Europe
Check http://www.nem.gr/rc-aaanioeuia-c165.html

He has all the selection of VQ models and you forget import tax as well as high transport fees!!
JR
Old 12-02-2008, 08:41 PM

I finally finished my hurricane and as you can see I love to paint. Surprisingly after painting all the dark brown sections olive drab it comes in at about an ounce over 9 lbs. That is balanced at the more forward point at 85 mms. I was pleasantly surprised. I credit Hellcat with this since I used his idea of making a platform to mount the weights on to the motor mount. Mine was not as neat as his but did the trick and allowed me to use less lead. Thanks hellcat.
My super tiger 91 has been giving me grief and does not seem to make the kind of power I think it should. I tried to tune it in hopes that I would get a flight in before the weather turned bad but I think it doesn't like the cold and therefore I gave up. The snow has arrived and I guess I will have to spend the winter wondering how well it will fly. Any thoughts on control throws would be greatly appreciated as I can't seem to find them in the instructions.

Name:	Db84419.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	1082973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36562.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1082974   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch96237.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1082975   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xq45042.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1082976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jv14511.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	1082977  
Old 12-02-2008, 10:18 PM

Hi guys

Notice that a few of you could not find the recommended control throws for your VQ Hurricanes. So I looked them up in my instruction book from my recently departed Hurricane. The book says
CG - 3.3 to 3.5 inches (85-90mm)
Aileron - 8mm up and 8mm down
Elevator - 10mm up and 10mm down
Rudder - 35mm each way

Mine was setup up that way and the ailerons were a little touchy. So I would recommend low rates at 80% of suggested and hi rates at full throw,
would also highly recommend expo at least 25 to 30%. Oh by the way keep the turns shallow because it will stall real quick and turn into a lawn dart before you know what happened.
Happy Flying
ByronF
Old 12-02-2008, 10:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Smithfallsbirdguy, I've been flying mine about 6 months now with over 50 flights. These are the control throws that I use: Alerons 1/2" up and down -30% expo with dual rates at 70%; Elevators 3/4" up, 5/8" down, -23% expo, dual rate 80%; Rudder 1 1/8" left, 1 1/4" right, -27% expo, dual rate 90%. I fly it on full rate now I'm use to it. Power is a Thunder Tiger .91 FS. I had trouble with mine. It wasn't turning up full power and was vibrating too much. I pulled it off and took apart. When I pulled the crank shaft out, the bearing fell out in parts. It was so bad that the connecting rod scored the case. Found new bearings locally and reassembled. Doing fine now. Plenty of power. It getting cold here but no snow on the ground yet. Probably next week. I used the VQ retracts and Robart struts. Had to splay the gear out slightly so they would lock up. C.G. is 85mm; weight 9lbs 1 oz. Had to use lead but bolted it on the motor mount as far forward as possible. Also mounted the battery on the firewall. Engine is mounted to the left like yours as I didn't want the problems of an inverted engine. I didn't look like you could mount the fuel tank low enought. The last flight I tried snape rolls and spins. It does them fine with immediate recovery. It was abit of a problem sorting out but I like it just fine now. Thinking about getting a VQ P-40 now that they have them in AVG and RAF colors because I have an old but good Enya .90 FS that needs a home.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:01 PM
My Feedback: (77)

CHECK OUT THIS COOL VIDEO from a customers VQ HURRICANE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kZD-BZ4iHE

CHEERS!

-TOMAS
VQ WARBIRDS
www.vqwarbirds.com
"KEEP EM' FLYING"
Old 12-03-2008, 10:26 PM

I noticed that there is another build thread now. Thought Some of you might like to see my method of installing the control horns. I use a peice of 3/16th dowel. I have a lot of trouble drilling straight through the surface to get the screw plate to line up with the horn, and I don't like the screw plate showing anyway. I just drill two 3/16th holes in the correct place, not all the way through and insert peices of the dowel in them. Be sure to pre drill the screw holes as you might split the dowel if you don't. This method has worked well for me.

Name:	Ca81231.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1083561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38982.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1083562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59397.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1083563  
Old 12-28-2008, 10:34 PM

has anyone tryed a 20cc gasser (zenoah or RCGF) in it I know it would be over powered but the adder weight of the engine vs. lead added seems to me to be the same. and the relabilite of gassers is better too. plus you can turn a more scale Prop.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:17 PM

Well I finally got the chance to maiden my hurricane. The good news is she flew and landed the bad news is she crash landed. I have never spent more time checking and then re checking a model prior to flying than I did this one. I read all the posts and probably checked the balance about ten times. It was balanced at the more forward position which required more lead. I am no rookie and have flown for about 15 years off and on however this was my first heavy warbird. This is what the black box said. It rolled down the runway straight as an arrow; I did notice that the tail really didn't come up to fast. Any way, a bit of up elevator and she was climbing out pretty good at about a 45 degree angle, first turn to the right, no problems still climbing, maybe a bit too much. Next a bit of down elevator to flatten the climb out. Still at full throttle. next turn all hell breaks lose, on her back then heading straight down. SMASH!!!.
It went straight in the motor was about 8 inches into the mud. I left the spinner buried there too much work to dig it out. I have wing minus wing bolt and a fuselage from about mid cockpit back every thing else is hamburg. I resisted the urge to jump on it (just barley) and it is know hanging on the wall. I may try to rebuild it but I doubt it.. Very frustrating.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.