Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
 VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread >

VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: VQ Hawker Hurricane .60 Build Thread

Smithfallsbirdguy:

Just say your post. I'm sorry about your loss and from your discription don't really know what happened except after take off I use a shallow climb and let it accelerate before making a turn. I've flown mine about three times since the snow has melted and the field opened. On the first flight it was really too windy and gusty to be flying this plane. Wind was not a problem until landing. I had made about four attempts and go rounds to try to get in. finally went ahead and landed even though wind was bouncing it around. It was a hard landing that crunched the plastic retracts. When I ordered the original ones I got an extra pair as they were on sale. Replaced the retracts and some wood and covering repair and that was it. Flow twice since with no problem, just more careful about the weather.

With the gear and flaps down it will fly fairly slow in level flight. At high power and speed it with do tight turns with out snaping out so I don't know what happened with yours. However, with gear and flaps down and the plane slowed down I only do wide shallow banks.

The aircraft with do a great snap roll, the the same charateristic that allows good snap roll will cause it to snap in a stall, which RC pilot call a tip stall. When I tried stalls with gear and flaps down, it would fall off sharply to the left. Havn't tried any stalls with gear and flaps up as I'm usually going fast in that configuration.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The more that I read the posts of others the more things seem to be coming clearer. You must excuse me if I seem to be going on but it’s almost like therapy Ha ha! Rbean states that his snaps to the left real well . So did mine in retrospect. There was a really good cross wind about 10-15 kms per hr. I took off on our paved run way the only way I could with my first turn being downwind with the cross wind. Wheels still down I turned right and it snapped left and at about 75 feet up definitely not 3 mistakes high. OK I am done analyzing time to start repairing. I have a real nice Hanger 9 Spit almost finished. I hope it is a bit more forgiving and if not I have learned some lessons.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:59 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Hi

Anyone selling original retract for 60-size Hurricane ?
I know HobbyPeople sells it but too expensive for stock retract. I need a bargain.
Thanks.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this[link]http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/160226.asp[/link]
Old 06-13-2010, 01:24 PM
My Feedback: (51)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest these as they are very sturdy and use a spring over design to aid in the retraction.

http://www.dbproducts.com/store/sprt.htm

Old 10-22-2010, 08:18 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys, I just had to say sorry to hear about your crashes,but as I had mentioned earlier in my posts,this is one heavy warbird.

Mine is also on the scrap heap. I had a YS91 in mine and had upgraded the crappy retracts to good solid ones,as everytime I landed this thing they would fold up.

Mine flew really nicely, looked great in the air, lovely victory rolls etc.
However thats all well and good but as we all know what goes up must come down.
And man does this overweight bird come down.
If you use full flap and keep the revs up and cross all your fingers and toes you might get away with a good landing ,providing your undercarriage holds up.

My last flight was all good untill the motor cut at low altitude, I was doing a low slow roll for my mate taking photos. Very impressive I must say.
Then the motor cut at about ten feet off the ground.
I didnt panic and thought no time to put the wheels down I will just belly land it. HA Ha.
It just instantly dropped it's left wing and rolled straight in.

It could be repaired but why bother.
These models are made of crap brittle timber and weigh way to much ,once you add a ****load of lead to the nose to get them to balance.

I also have a Hangar 9 Hellcat with a YS110-s in it and have had to add some lead to the tail. No problem flys real easy and no tip stalling at all. I personally would never buy another VQ model even if they were half price.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:36 PM

I had problems with the crappy retracts so finally upgraded to Spring Air and Robart struts, larger wheels, 3.5", had to alter to larger wheel wells. These have really worked well. When the 91 FS started running lousy, I pulled it out and determined that the engine and nose weight was heavier that a 120 FS. So I installed the 120. Flys great. Have not had a problem with landing as long as speed is kept up to reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69170.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1521344  
Old 10-22-2010, 09:38 PM

So I got the same picture twice. Was trying to show the landing gear.

Name:	Ca81718.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1521345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31189.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1521346  
Old 10-24-2010, 09:38 PM

Sliding Canopy on my Hurricane.

Name:	Sq47640.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1522556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91366.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1522557  
Old 11-12-2010, 02:52 PM

RBean,

Okay, either I'm having a"Brain Fart," or I something off with my ARF. Did you cut the covering for the flap servo in the top of the wing and then simple screw the servo in place or did you have to glue some hard blocks in place.

Anyone else, is also invited to respond too. Plus picture would be nice!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:32 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm having some trouble to figure out what you're asking exactly, isn't there a diagram in the manual?

I've built the VQ P-40 and the flap servos lay sideways on the removable access panels and are attached by two wood blocks where the servo is screwed on. The opening is for the servo horn. Usually the opening is not on the centre - you place the servo accordingly so that it does not extend all the way to the edge of the panel otherwise you will not be able to put it back in the wing.

Apologies if the above is not helpful, maybe you can clarify what exactly the issue is?
Old 11-13-2010, 08:08 AM

No, your right, I'm having the same problem with the installation of the retract servo. From the "Drawing" on the "Directions" they show the servo being mounted from the top of the wing, which is what I thought all along, because this is where the wire that run from the left and right flap bell-crank would line up at the top of the wing. But, there's no place to mount the screws for servo. However the seems to be a plate at the bottom of the wing with a notch for the servo wire to pass, but for the life of me can't see how it's suppose to mount.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 AM

I just remember I had seen a video on YouTube. A Picture is worth a 1,000 words! The Servo extends out the bottom of the wing and is cover by the radiator scoop!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6pcPITNbjg[/youtube]
Old 09-27-2015, 08:50 PM

An old thread I know but it's the right place for my post. Over the past few months I modified a VQ 60 Hurricane for electric power. A Hyperion 2009 generation 4045-10, 6c 5amp Lipo, 17x10" APC-E prop. Stripped covering and made an access hatch incorporating the canopy. Recovered with Solartex and spray painted in acrylic paints with a satin clear coat. Weight is heavy at 5kgs (11lb) but it seems to fly very well, mind you I landed hot as not wanting to have a tip stall on the test flight. Seemed very solid in the air, I'll advise again after a few more flights.

Name:	Hurricane2.jpg
Views:	885
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2122641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hurricane3.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2122642  

Last edited by peril; 09-27-2015 at 08:53 PM.