Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

1/6 CAD Corsair Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

1/6 CAD Corsair Build

Old 03-22-2008, 03:29 PM
SMUGator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Royal Corsair Blacksheep Squadron Build

Bummer about Lone Star. They had a great rep in the industry. Consensus among the scratch building community seems to be the following suppliers:

Balsa USA - http://www.balsausa.com
National Balsa Co. http://www.nationalbalsa.com/
Sig - http://www.sigmfg.com

Tom
Old 03-22-2008, 03:35 PM
bosssman
My Feedback: (35)

Luke,

For those of "computer challenged", should I load the plans onto a CD and then take them to Kinko's/Office Max and tell them WHAT???

randy

Blacksheep "13"
Old 03-22-2008, 05:28 PM
ReaperGrim

Old 03-22-2008, 06:08 PM
bosssman

ORIGINAL: ReaperGrim

Bosssman, you need to unzip the files and put them on a CD, you don’t want to confuse anyone at Kinko’s any more than they are already!
I seem to recall you saying something to the effect "tell them (Kinko's) to use the "custom size". I have already unzipped the files (6) and loaded them onto a CD. I am on my way there and want to make sure there is nothing special I need to say to them. The files, as unzipped, will print out in the "buildable" size?

Sorry for being so anal, but I hate multiple trips to places!!

Thanks, randy
Old 03-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Karee17

Hello Luke

I was following your 2003 Corsair build and I was very impressed by your skills and crafstmanship. You mentioned in one of those posts your home web site with closer look at that build. When I tried to click on the link it wasn't aviable anymore so I was wondering if there is web side that I can still access it?

I also noticed that you are building new Corsair and would like to help you out if you are interested. I am CAD drafter and I'm willing to redraw the plans and possible create 3d model of the Corsair in CAD. No charge. In case you allready have somebody who will do this for you I would like to donate $10 for those PDF.

Thank you and good luck to all of you with your builds

Karol

Old 03-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Riddle4U

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smugator, I am a STAUNCH supporter of SIG. They are a legacy company and have never treated me wrong. I haven't ordered from them recently though. Their long history deserves some support in my opinion.

Luke, I sent you an e-mail; I had some continuing questions and am happy to support the financial end as posted by someone else here. That is, 5 or 10 dollars probably isn't enough. I think I can handle the tailwheel project when I get the plans, could you elaborate on the necessary mods? I am doing an old one too, so need the short design.- Thanks skipper! -Eric

p.s. This seems to be happening so fast, that i'm afraid your fuselage will be complete before I even buy the materials for the TW!
Old 03-22-2008, 06:58 PM
SMUGator

Well, if I'm going to be Blacksheep 7, I think I'll go with No. 777 for my build.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27847.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	910725  
Old 03-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Riddle4U

Karee17, Chad was working on something-CAD maybe you should collaborate? I am not afraid of cutting a kit, but I may be caught up in this tailwheel now and maybe you guys will allow me and others to catch up in the end? I am game for any laser cut offerings here. The sizing on wood is my major concern here now, and this is the biggest powered aircraft I will have built (built many a 120 inch old school 3-channel soarer [glider], silk and dope to boot!).

SMUGator, love your choice! Does your triple seven seat over three hundred?

One of these pics is a Laser 180, English make, I'm planning the 300 model. They are glow powered (nitro), someone mentioned "weadeaters" which is Ok also with the gasoline, but I think Luke has a great choice with the O.S. glow two stroke. The Lasers are V-twin four strokes and sound great as well as turning big props. Reliability is a concern, but I haven't heard too much negative on these. You gotta open your wallet for one, but this will be my prime investment for this plane. Proctor sells them in the U.S. if anyone is curious.

Name:	Us54264.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	910731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80836.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	910732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96667.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	910733  
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 PM
ReaperGrim

Old 03-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Wildcard

I'm going to love watching this build. I've followed alot of your posts on other threads and I'm alway amazed on how detailed you make your planes. Hope to learn some stuff from you guys that know how to build so when I'm ready I can build a Corsair of my own. On another note, if you come up with the CAD plans and are of need of someone to laser cut your wood, my buddy who builds RC jets has a laser cutter and is always looking for some extra work to help pay for the hobby. Just let me know if you are interested and I'll find out what he will charge. Keep up the posts.

Brett
Old 03-22-2008, 09:38 PM
Riddle4U

Got the problem solved Luke. Hey, I need the plans though, before I can at least get a jump on the tail feathers.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Riddle4U

Sorry about the last post Luke. Chalk it up to the "Dark Side" (I'm a terrible knucklehead). I'd kind of like to do working anti-servo tabs and such (all surfaces, really). I think as I remember on your small one, you thought it too small too recreate. Well, now, here's our chance. I hope your not drowning in all of this already[sm=lol.gif]. Is it okay to talk about these details at this juncture?

Skip, I got the files. Thank you, I really appreciate the work; first rate!
Old 03-22-2008, 10:17 PM
ReaperGrim

Old 03-22-2008, 11:57 PM
rollo

Well, since Tom is in on the build I'm in too. Plus, I've never seen a weedeater fly. Well, there was that time my dad flung one halve way across the yard after struggling with replacing the string but that really doesn't count.

Rollo

ORIGINAL: SMUGator

I'm in on the build. I need to get my 1/8 Flop Tite glassed and out of the way at a minimum, but that should only take a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it! Need to do some more research on the specific aircraft I want to model for the project.

At a minimum I'll do:
Scale tailwheel - done on 1/8 by Rollo
Scale operational cowl flaps - done on 1/8, but can be improved
Cowl top half removable at scale location - done on 1/8
Sliding canopy and scale cockpit - in progress on 1/8
Scale hinging throughout - done on 1/8, but can be improved
Custom lighting throughout - done on 1/8 by Rollo. If Rollo will sign up, we may take the lead on this part.
No exposed linkages unless in a scale location - done on 1/8, but looking forward to see what Luke comes up with on the mechanicals. I'm only about 80% happy with my work on the smaller one.

This will be my first gasser, so I'll need some advice from the rest of you on that. I can operate a weedeater, but I've never put wings on one.

Tom
Old 03-23-2008, 12:22 AM
bosssman

After spending quite a bit of time both on the net and in my books, I find myself ALWAYS coming back to #86 - the "show" bird that supposedly was never flown in combat in that configuration. So, that is where I am headed - since it was supposedly "never" flown in combat, can I omit the weathering effects?? (lol)

randy

p.s. - has anyone been asked to get a "copyright permission" for these plans? I have had both Staples and Office Max ask me. I am on my way to Office Depot (.49 per sq foot) who hasn't said a thing about copyrights.....
Old 03-23-2008, 03:24 AM
SMUGator

If you tell them that the company has been out of business for several years, you should be OK. I've had this issue in the past, and it normally comes down to a bit of gentle negotiation with the high-school kid behind the counter. I've always volunteered to sign a release of liability which has helped a bit as well.

I mentioned earlier that I would be modeling BuNo 17777 (or trip seven). Here's a bit more on why I'm attracted to this particular aircraft. If you look at a lot of the documentation, you will see that the aircraft was flown by 1st Lt Phillip C DeLong, VMF-112. As you dig deeper, you find that Lt DeLong did fly the airplane, and he also recorded kills in at least seven other Corsairs. Trip Seven met her end as a result of a rollover on 12/17/1943 while being flown by LT DJ Moore of VMF 214.

I like that Trip-7 represents the real nature of these aircraft. They were blunt instruments in a hostile environment. They got passed back and forth between squadrons as situations dictated. Trip-7 has it's numbers randomly stenciled on, and has mixed markings applied in the field. It's interesting, because an ace happened to land in a few times, but it came to a rough end in a bad landing and saved the life of a guy that wasn't written about in history either before or after as far as I can tell. For me this really tells the story of the role these airplanes played.

Tom

Name:	Fd93247.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	911082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16556.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	911083  
Old 03-23-2008, 03:36 AM
Riddle4U

Good question Bossman. I believe all aspects of the Royal operation are defunct. ..I am going to try to pick up a ball here for Luke (he has better things to do); that is, somewhat trying to organize versions for all of us, such that with all the time spent we end up with unique models. To that end, please everyone e-mail me with your tentative version, and I'll try to keep a "quick and dirty" ledger for us all. This is not meant to be restrictive (you can build whatever you want), but I think Luke's idea to try to keep us in the 214 is fun. There are tons of schemes within the 214 even, and I think we can accomodate that. My e-mail is [email protected] Luke has the roster, and that is his domain as the team leader. I would like to help out and produce a sheet for all of us, that will help us all to refer to eachother. If you don't have a prototype to model in mind, don't worry. I just wanted to create something for everyone to refer to if they didn't want to double-up on versions. I hope I made sense, again, just voluntary! -Best regards to all, Eric

As an adjunct, in my research I learned that 214 during Boyington's period, did not have assigned aircraft. One source stated that Pappy would pick the oldest plane to fly in a mission, on a given day. Generally history is correct on planes that had documented war records of kills "in-plane", but it was all pretty haphazard. So this isn't the European theater. Am I boring anyone?
Old 03-23-2008, 04:45 AM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: ReaperGrim
I would like to see some airplanes built though! Remember, no drinking while you build, I'm the only one that can do that.
Sorry Skipper,

This rule won't work for me or Rollo. Otherwise may as well entertain wives, girlfriends or both.

Drinking as I post.

Tom
Old 03-23-2008, 04:47 AM
Riddle4U

Just say no.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:54 AM
SMUGator

ORIGINAL: Riddle4U

Just say no.
I already have - http://youtube.com/watch?v=LD5sahXoj0U
Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 AM
ReaperGrim

Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 AM
rollo

ORIGINAL: SMUGator

Trip Seven met her end as a result of a rollover on 12/17/1943 while being flown by LT DJ Moore of VMF 214.

Tom

How ironic and for the record my real name is not and never was never Lt DJ Moore. I only rollover in 13 ton land vehicles.

Rollo
Old 03-23-2008, 11:32 AM
warks62
My Feedback: (140)

Old 03-23-2008, 11:44 AM
rwright142

To all squadron pilots,

I am putting together a list for contact purposes. It will include the following:
RCU Username - Blacksheep# - Real Name - Location - Telephone - Email - Plane Info

For example, my info is:
rwright142 - BlackSheep 5 - Richard Wright - Indianapolis IN - [email protected] - (not disclosed in the forum) - #883 - Bob McClurg

Let me know if you would like more information and if you don't want to disclose something then note that too.

PM me and I will add you to the list so we can all communicate off the forum when we need to.

Richard

EDIT: Sorry Riddle4U (Eric) - I posted this before I saw your offer. Email me and I will send you what I have.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey guys, I've looked over the plans and began the re-drawing process in ACAD. No problems so far other than these files are freakin' huge! I guess we need to pow wow on how you want me to handle things like the firewall and retract areas as I get to drawing those. One question, is everyone starting with the tail surfaces? I suppose that would be the logical thing for me to offer up first, no?

Chad

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.