Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Just rec. Nitro 82" AT-6, could use help.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Just rec. Nitro 82" AT-6, could use help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Motorhomer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just rec. Nitro 82" AT-6, could use help.

I just received my new 82" AT-6 from Nitromodels. I have a couple questions, if someone could help me.
1. What retracts will work on this plane? (Hopefully NOT $$Robart$$) Don't get me wrong, their mighty fine retracts, but someone might let them know we're in a downturn right now. They are just too darn expensive, IMHO.
2. What size gasoline engine would you use? (Flying weight, acording to the box is about 14 lbs.)
3. What size pilot would you use?
4. Any instrument panel that would stick on that upturn inside the front of the canopy? Any stick on "cockpit" decal that would work?

Many thanks for any input. Ken
Old 03-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Motorhomer

Default RE: Just rec. Nitro 82" AT-6, could use help.

Sheezee, can't somebody give me SOME answers on these questions? I'm new to large scale r/c, so ANY help would be appreciated. What engine WOULD you use on this plane? Thanks, Ken
Old 03-23-2008, 08:22 PM
ForkedTailDevil
My Feedback: (21)

Ken,
I would think a G-38 would be PLENTY of power for your new texan. I'v seen pictures of that..seems like a pretty nice kit. The G-38 is a superb engine, i'v owned many of them. You'l have the power you need, yet prob fly pretty scale on 1/2 throttle. As far as retracts goes, i'd say take some measurements from the center of the wheel well and start researching. If you are wanting to keep price down, check out centry jets line. Everybody seems to dog those retracts, i'v personally never had any real problem. You see, you get what you pay for. So if somebody complains about a cheaper set of retracts..well they shoulda known what they where getting. As far as century jet goes, you just need to maintain them (tightining up links and that sort) Hope this helps!

Bubs
Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 PM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

i have a friend who has a barely used g-38 that he was trying to sell at a swapmeet for 175.00 if your interested. if it were mine i would go with a g-26, the 38 is going to have a helluva lot of head hanging out, that may not bother you though. like devil said the century jet are just fine. jeff
Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Motorhomer

Thanks for the reply guys!! Jeff, I think your right. I prob. will order a new -26 engine today or tomorrow. CJ,huh? I just asked on a thread above what brand "CJ" stood for, lol, now I know. I'll look them up right away. BTW, I have several other Warbirds that just might need that -38 engine. I just got the NITRO F4U Corsair, and I would think that that one might need the larger engine. Can't remember the W/S right off the top of my head, but it's right around 71 or 73 inches. Will have correct retracts, flaps. See what I mean?
Soooo, if you wouldn't mind, pass my email address to your friend so we could work out a deal. That sounds like a heck-of-ah-deal.
Many thanks, Ken
Old 03-25-2008, 11:10 PM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

i'll call bubba tomorrow and see if he still has it, but that is too much motor for the corsair also. the corsair is 76", i used to fly a 78" mustang with retracts on an old g-22 with plenty of power. call ralf cunningham about a g-26 before you buy a new one and see what he has. http://rcignitions.com/. jeff
Old 03-27-2008, 10:37 PM
p51tom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a search for "CMP 160 sized Texan". This post dicusses the same model and has a great deal of informatioin. I also have this ARF but will not start work on it until I finish my Nitro 73" P40.