Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Global Skyraider Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Global Skyraider Build

Old 03-24-2008, 06:58 PM
TEBerg
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Global Skyraider Build

I think it is now time to start a thread.. Back in January I started doing more research to get my A-1H project in the air.. I just had the kit and the engine.. Through February I obtained the electronics (mostly from E-Bay) the retracts for what seems like hundreds of $$$'s and WAY too much time looking up information..

Back in the "What the heck is under 572's right wing" thread I mentioned that my dad was on that USS Midway cruise.. He was avionics repair tech for VA-25... From his cruise book and other photos I had a bunch of references to the "toilet drop".. I have also contacted some guys from his squadron and spoke with some serious scale modelers....

Finally, in March I started building stuff.. Not the airplane yet - laugh - but stuff.. I wanted a "scale" prop, and decided the best approach would be to build it myself. With that I also decided to cast the prop in plastic instead of trying to carve 4 duplicate blades. I now know it would have just been cheaper to buy the $120 prop from some on-line place, but I learned a lot.. Also, my son has had a blast casting grips for his climbing wall (practice with the mold and casting) and just loved casting the toilet for this project..

Here are a few photos of my limited progress so far..

The second photo is the "goal" of the project, #572 with the toilet hung under the right wing.. A photo of my dad when he was alive in Civil Service getting an award from the Lemoore NAS CO is next to the Skyraider. Other photos are some of the steps I have completed to get the scale prop done, like turning the Sch 80 PVC to make the hub...

The display prop is 16.5 inches in diameter.. 1/10 of the 13.5-foot Aeroprop would have been 16.2 inches, but the Global kid is just a little larger (about 0.104)..

I also have the semi-scale tail wheel done (I had a couple trial-and-errors on that little effort) along with a start on some M117 bombs and the parts for the "special ordinance."

Now, I'm trying this as a FIRST ATTEMPT at anything scale.. So, if it even comes out looking like #572 when you stand back 10 or 15 feet - I'll Be Happy.. Also, since this is a "60-size" airplane.. I'm not going to attempt a Hyper Scale project.. Just sport scale for now... It will be close, but for weight concerns along with financial, I'm probably going to Monokote it for the finish and have vinyl cut for the markings.. I figure it will be more of a conversation airplane and a learning tool more than an Award Winner...

Just for some background.. My dad purchased this kit back in the 80's and never got the chance to finish it before he passed away in 1999.. I have had the kit and finally have the opportunity to get it completed.. It has been a really good start with showing my son (who is 11 now) dad's curise books, photos of the planes, and talking to him a lot about what servicemen have done for our country.. I think, just through this small project, he has a better understanding of my dad being in the Navy, me being in the Coast Guard, and what commitment people have for our country.. Now, if I could just get him more interested in flying RC ..

I hope to start building some of the actual plane in the next couple of days.. I'll add more photos as I go...

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32629.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	912596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30432.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	912597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81562.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	912598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94816.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	912599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do82165.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	912600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vm83097.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	912601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ya57726.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	912602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Po48054.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	912603  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vu30157.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	912604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dp75359.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	912605  
Old 03-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Global Skyraider Build

I want to thank you for your service, and express appreciation for your dad's, too. I'm glad your son is hearing the stories from you and I wish others could.

Your project is appreciated, too, good work! Keep us informed, please.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson
Old 03-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looking good Berg. Doing the hard stuff first will mke things go faster. I am trying to detail out Z. Skyriader also. Its the detail work that can make the project. I will be watching with great interest. You should give a small tutorial on mold making and parts pulling
Old 03-25-2008, 04:38 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Have you considered what to use for power yet?
I have this kit also, as well as a built one (built by someone else), and have an RCV .90 which is being saved for it. The RCVs seem like the only logical choice in this warbird (except electric power), because it is compact enough to fit entirely inside that small cowl, YET can swing a 4 blade APC with near scale diameter.

BTW: Fiberglass Specialties make replacement cowls for these, if interested:
http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/
http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/catalog.htm

Great looking prop, are you considering making more and putting them up for sale?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:49 PM
TEBerg

Dave, Thanks for the words of support.. Been a long time since I was in the CG, but still try to keep in touch with some friends.. I'm just a geologist working for the California EPA right now..

Ram-Bro,

I don't know if I have enough pics to do a tutorial on casting parts.. I did a lot of searching on the web before I even tried it..

What I have found out so far (besides the fact that my "paintable" release agent leaves fish-eye spots in the paint - sanding and re-painting today ) is the following about casting plastic..

- I liked using the 1 to 1 Silicon Rubber mix for the mold. I did not want to purchase a small scale accurate enough to measure what I needed by weight (usually 10 to 1), so I went with the blue/green 1 to 1 that you can measure by volume for the correct mix.

- The easiest molds were where I could fasten a basic part on to glass and use a tin can or plastic bottle for the mold. You just super glue a flat side of the object down and then hot glue the mold sides to the glass. Pour in the mold mix and let it set for the correct time, which is about 4 hours for the 1 to 1 mix. The mold will pop right off the glass with the master piece and you can easily release it from the sides with some alcohol (rubbing, not drinking)..

- 2-part molds are easier to use, but much harder to make.. I tried to make a base under the master parts with modelers clay for the two prop parts. It is very dificult and took more time to try and build up a 1/2-inch thick base than I cared for.. I actually lost some of the twist I had built into my master propeller blade because of 'flexing' it when I worked the putty around and tried to seal it at the edges.

- I used a "medium" hardness plastic for the parts.. I have see on-line that Alumilite seems to have the highest numbers for the shear strenght and heat resistance. Micro mark also makes a "heavy duty" pourable plastic. The compounds I bought came from AeroMarine Products through John's E-bay store. The statistics were a bit lower than Alumilite and the thin propeller blades seem to be a bit flexable. Kinda like how the older white Top Flite blades used to feel.. But, John's prices were much better than the other 'name brand' mold products.

- I have "over mixed" more plastic than I care to think about [)].. You can measure the empty mold with rice and go with that volume, but I ended up short on a couple of casts. That also left little pieces of rice stuck on the silicone mold that ended up in the next parts.. The best way to estimate plastic volume was to submirge the master part in a measuring cup of water and read the difference in volume..

- If you need air vents or blank areas in a mold, USE SMOOTH Fillers such as tooth picks, bamboo scewers or straws. For example, we needed screw holes in my sons climbing grips, we just poked holes through the green styrofoam master with a drill and figured they would be good screw holes.. Well, we should have used straws, because the rough screw holes continue to grab the mold rubber and break the rubber off inside the cast piece.. We now just have nubs where the screws go and have to drill out the screw holes. But - That works great also[)]

I like the following links the best for information about casting parts: http://www.micromark.com/html_pages/...rrresinart.pdf, http://www.info-central.org/construc...ldmaking.shtml , http://www.alumilite.com/HowTos.cfm.

I hope it is OK, to include those links..

What I really learned from the casting is that: unmixed silicon mold compound will stain your workbench The plastic compound Will come off a painted garage floor, if you work very hard and are careful scraping it up YOU NEED MORE Silicone Rubber and Plastic than you think you will need... And, My son had a blast carving his own climbing grips and casting them in plastic..

I ready to make up a "master" for the M117 bombs I want to drop along with the toilet.. I'm going to try using the Alumilite 610 Foam for those.. Their Tech support said the foam was very durable and should make great RC bombs.. But, I'm already out of the 1-quart kit of 1 to 1 silicone rubber.. I had purchased 1/2-gallon of the plastic and I have used about 1/3 of that.. So, if this propeller project works and I can sell a couple of the extras I made, then I can afford to buy more mold mix and get some casts done for the bombs..

This was probably not a lot of good instruction, but please feel free to contact me with any questions about what I have done so far and how it worked..

Edited to Add: I went ahead and put up a "tutorial" for making molds and casting some plastic and foam parts in the "Tips and Techniques" Forum.. You can find the thread here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7432180/tm.htm

It includes the scale M117 bombs and bomb clips..

Blue Skies,

Tom
Old 03-25-2008, 01:18 PM
TEBerg

CorsairJock,

Thanks for the note and complement on the prop..

"Have you considered what to use for power yet?" - Yes I have a Magmum XL91RFS for this plane.. It had originally come with the Old Magnum 61 2-stroke engine, but I had used that in a couple of previous projects.. I looked very hard at the RCV engines for exactely your reasons of the small cowl and the ability to spin a larger propeller.. However, my wife (the lucky one) attended a club meeting last summer and WON the Magnum 91 4-stroke.. I decided that was a great power plant for this bird and went from there.. Funny, last year I figured I had the kit and the engine, so a "large expense" was already covered[X(]... NOT EVEN Close.. The electronics, retracts, etc., keep adding to the cost, but it is shaping up to be a great project.

Thanks for the note on the cowl.. I already have one from Fiberglass Specialties.. Very nice looking, I had them ship it right after Christmas when they got back to work.. To keep it looking as good as possible, I'm mounting the engine inverted as I noted above.. I would have loved to go with side-mounted, but the right-hand side of the plane will kinda be the "show side" and I don't want the top of the engine sticking out through the airplanes #572..

"Great looking prop, are you considering making more and putting them up for sale?" - Well thanks for asking about selling them.. I already have TWO more cast and in bags ready to go out...

However, I want to get mine finished before I will feel comfortable sending anything out to other people.. This is not a "professional" scale propeller and I still want to fix a couple of quarks like getting "fish eye" from the mold release.. Matter of fact, I wet sanded the Krylon Fusion paint last night and have it here at the office to spray again at lunch.. Once I have a good looking prop completed, I'll be able to sell them and I can describe how to obtain a good looking finish..

But, HOPEFULLY a couple of people will need some 16.5- inch display props.. I've read a lot of your posts here and really enjoy your work.. It's a complement to hear from you.. Thanks..

OK, enough for today.. I had better do some work so I can paint the display prop at lunch..
Old 03-27-2008, 01:28 AM
TEBerg

I have some time to catch up on a couple of things I wanted to let you know..

Ram-Bro.. My "details" are going to be pretty basic. BUT, there is a guy here in California who is working on a hyper-scale Ziroli Skyraider. Barry Dallwig is building the "Medal of Honor, A-1H Skyraider" and writing the details on another scale modeling Site. If you haven't seen it yet you are in for a real treat.. Well, it is so detailed, that it makes me dizzy just thinking about the stuff he is doing. Drop me a note and I'll get you the direct link if you want.. Also, I think that he is making masters of items such as wing pylons and the person producing them will have them for sale.. I'm pretty sure other stuff as well.

CorsairJock.. Along with reading as many references here as I can. I have a copy of the February 1995 Model Airplane News magazine with the Global Skyraider writeup. It's a Field & Bench Review that covers building two skyraiders with different engine setups, one with retracts modified into the wing and discusses flight characteristics and a couple of fixes.. For example, they reference that the horizontal stabilizer needs re-inforced and the plane doesn't need as much trim if you add down-thrust on the engine. Since you already have a Global Kit flying, does this sound like something to look for?? I can scan the review and send it to you (or whomever may want one) if you would like..

Now for a couple more pictures and some updates..

Below are photos of the start of the "special" ordinance for my project.. The photo from my dad's cruise showing the CO and the crew chief has some glare on it, not a fire on the deck of the ship.. The other photo is my semi-scale tail wheel.. I'll cut down the spring to give a 'representative' amount of movement. Hopefully it will also work to keep the shaft from bending on every landing.. I tried to make a more scale setup with help from this site, but it did not work out yet.. So for now I'm using a modified Sullivan Semi-scale setup.

Name:	Om33411.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	914632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54553.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	914633  
Old 03-27-2008, 01:50 AM
TEBerg

Here is the latest in my painting the propeller saga..

After sanding the flashing off the molded plastic prop and gluing the blades in using a jig and medium CA, I went straight for a coat of satin black Krylon Fusion.. Well, that ended up with a pretty bad case of "fish eye" from the mold release - even though the mold release said "paintable".. Ok, another lesson..

So, I wet-sanded the black paint with 400 grit and wiped the prop down with Acetone.. I figured that would do it - First photo of my "very weathered" prop.. Well it didn't... Ok, now I'm worried.. I decided to go with the plastic suppliers suggestion of washing the prop with hot water and soap (I figured acetone would have done it, but I'm new at this casting thing).. The next photo is a shot after I re-sanded the black off the prop using 400 grit WITH hot soap and water along with the cast toilets for the two special bombs (one for show and one for dropping).

This time I sprayed them with Rustoleum Plastic Primer paint - Finally, a white prop with no fish eye!!!.. When dry I sanded the entire prop with 400 grit but just dry sanded it this time. Then sprayed a 2nd coat of primer to get an even coverage. Since there was some regular paint 'fuzz', I dry sanded that coat of primer with 600. Then I went back to the Krylon because they have a Satin Black finish.. Yea, a black prop...!!! There is still a little light area from the white primer, so if the wind dies down some tomorrow I'll put the second coat of black on and let her set for a few days.. The paint says 7 days for full adhesion and I want to be safe before I tape off the tips for the white, red and yellow (back) paint... The good news about all these attempts, I filled in a few of the casting flaws with all the paint and primer with "good" sanding in between..

[laugh] that bare looking prop between coats of paint really makes me realize that I have "skimped" on sanding off the primer on some past occasions... Yep, a good reminder how to get a smooth finish

Blue Skies,

Tom B.

Name:	Bz79014.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	914662   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73724.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	914663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23037.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	914664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97801.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	914665  
Old 03-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Ram-bro

Barry knows me.I have been watching his build on rcscalebuilder. I am takiing notes and yes he is outta this world. Compare to his, mine will be a Tonka Toy
Old 04-02-2008, 01:19 AM
TEBerg

No "real" building yet.. But I have had time to start the ordinance...

I decided to go with M117 bombs along with the "special" bomb.. I picked that because the diameter is similar to the height of the toilet and I figured that it looked a little more balanced that way... I'm just going with two drop points on the plane, so I only need one of each "scale" ordinance. However, If all works out well, I'll make a cast for the bombs and be able to make multiple foam bombs with Alumilite 610 Foam.

So, I'm making a "master" out of the parts I have and what I think will look the best.. Well, I have rocket parts from a "builders kit" that I picked up about 25 years ago and was designing my own rockets.. I'm working off a pretty nice profile photo of the M117 that I found on the Castle Museum web site. However, I'm going with the conical fin set instead of the "longer" profile fins..

I picked the nose and body that matched the 4.1 cm diamter I needed. Then found another cone that got me close to the 21.6 cm length (that's approx. 1-3/4 X 8-1/2 inches for those of us who don't always use metric).. The longer cone happened to be about 1/2-inch narrower thatn the body tube.. Therefore I made an adapter by wrapping masking tape around a piece of smaller tube until it fit snug inside the body.. From that point I glued the parts together and started filling the taper..

I found some latex wood filler to try. I was worried about any "light" filler being too brittle or soft.. This latex stuff ended up working great!! It is a lot "stickier" than most fillers, and definitely harder.. But it still sands very nice, not super easy, but nice.. So, I kept filling with another layer of the latex out to the edge of the body tube and out to an "approximate" part of the tail where it looks about right.. It took about a day for each of the layers to dry, then I would sand off the big lumps and use an old credit card to put the next layer on as even as I could.. It's about as thick as peanut butter, so I stopped worrying about getting everything super smooth..

Tonight I cut the slots for the tail fins (0.08 styrene) and gave the latex filler a quick sand and went over the tapered area with a layer of "whipped" joint compound.. The joint compound is much smoother and I stretched out the taper some more.

Next I'll sand the joint compound and probably seal it with something.. Then I can glue the fins on the bomb and fill the smaller gaps with red bondo..

With luck, it will end up looking like it is supposed too.. I'll give more details about the smaller fin sets you can see in a couple of the photos later...

Name:	Tr51482.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	919808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96862.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	919809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ou49624.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	919810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83756.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	919811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96151.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	919812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hy34298.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	919813  
Old 04-03-2008, 02:24 AM
TEBerg

Here are photos of the finished propeller.. Pretty funny that I'm done with the first thing for this plane and it won't even be used in flight.. I also got some more work accomplished on the bomb mock-up..

The fist photo is how the prop started;, then the resin parts all ready to sand, glue and paint; and finally... Some pics of the finished 16.5-inch diameter prop.. Front, back, and then a couple on the Magnum 91 for size reference....

I'm very happy with the look of the prop.. It is not exactely to scale, but it is the right size, the blades are a nice shape and have some twist to them, and with the angle set on the pitch - when you look right at the side of the prop you see the red and white tip of one blade clearly and just the back yellow tip of the opposit blade... It gives the effect I wanted... Now I'm kinda bummed that I can't spin it on the plane

Also, for reference I grabbed the address of the "Toilet Bomb" thread that started here a few months ago: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67...tm.htm#6783647
It has an internet rendition of the story about the special ordinance.

Name:	Ay73724.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	920461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78604.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	920462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33062.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	920463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55570.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	920464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96860.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	920465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ct18360.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	920466  
Old 04-04-2008, 12:40 PM
TEBerg

For those of you who may be interested.. I put two propeller "kits" on ebay for sale.. Since I don't want to cross the "No ads linking to auctions or classified ads" rule here.. Please send me a note and I can fwd you a link to the acution.. I'm calling them kits because I'm sending the parts to finish, not the glued painted and complete propeller..

Or, you can search for "display propeller" and you'll see it there.. I put them up for 7 days and started at a low bidding price.. I also included a "buy it now" price that is higher, but will help me pay for more silicon mold rubber...

Again, the propeller is 16.5-inch diameter and is based on 1/10th scale of the 13.5-foot diameter propeller.. It doesn't have the "cuff" on the trailing edge of the propeller.. Making one like that is way out of my league right now
Old 04-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Ram-bro

love your prop, wanna make one for a 1/6th scale zirolli skyraider?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:13 PM
TEBerg

"love your prop, wanna make one for a 1/6th scale zirolli skyraider?"
Thanks.. and NO, I'm done with props for now.. But you should give Barry a call.. In his thread he did say, "I make the parts plugs and Brad at Fibertech will make the parts for sale." You may get lucky

I have to get through this little stuff and get some big parts put together.. The good news is that the bomb is starting to look like a bomb..

I stopped with the smooth coat of joint compound..

I sanded that down to shape until I just started to get into the rocket tube.. To make the plaster stronger I painted it with Aerogloss Dope.. Remember the good old days of dope and silk and paper??? I had to open the window so I could pass my blood test next month [laughing]...

Next I glued the fin set in with CA and activator. That filled the gap next to the fin a bit.. Then I applied a thin layer of red bondo in the trouble areas and sanded..

The second photo is after the second coat of bondo and sandig.. The next three photos are: grey primer coat, sanding and another spray with the grey primer. At this point in time, I pretty much want to be done with the bomb.. It is close, but a little "thin" for what I was looking for.. It's definitely not a torpedo, but still not looking like "masters scale"... However, working with something this small, I'm going to work with what I have and be happy with it.. After all, I am going to drop it from 100+ feet..

The next steps will be one more touch up with red bondo, sanding, install the fuse and clear coat to get it ready for casting.. I'll go through the details of casting a little closer this time around..

OK, I'm off to get the "special ordinance" a little closer to done.. There's a World Models warbird race out at the Fresno, California club tomorrow... I think I'll run by there to watch for a bit and then Sunday is off to Monterey with the family.. We are going to go visit with some friends who are making skydives and then to the Aquarium.. I may make a jump if we have time.. Although, I've been doing more R/C stuff than jumping lately..

Name:	Ge96119.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	921881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56455.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	921882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83011.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	921883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14913.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	921884  
Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Ram-bro

http://www.flightjournal.com/Media/P...jpodcast13.mp3
checkout this audio by flight journal magazine on flying the Skyraider. It will take about 18 min of your time, but it is interesting
Old 04-04-2008, 11:46 PM
JEFFHINES73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Must say if your going though this much trouble on props and bombs cant wait till you get to the plane I love to build a skyraider but finding one in australia is about as easy as finding an AMW root beer lol Im thinking of getting the esm ARF but would rather build one wish more compaines would kit these old planes as im sure they would sell . Anyways keep up the great work im sure your dad would be proud

jeff
Old 04-05-2008, 01:17 AM
speedaholic
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey tberg, bombs looking good, alittle too small for my plane, I need 1/8th scale for mine, what scale are those you have. they look good though. I will find something to fit mine. maybe i will see ya at the field tommorrow. laters.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:37 AM
TEBerg

I haven't been sleeping.. Not building very fast, but not stopped

Jeff, I keep seeing some kits floating around.. There was just a Heritage kit on E-bay.. With luck you'll pick one up.. I have herd back from people that this plane/kit flys great!!! And A&W Root Beer - yum.. Funny, we used to bike down to the A&W for a root beer float in a frosty mug when I was a kid...

Here is the completed (minus bomb release hooks) "Special Ordinance"... Heck, I'd believe it's a toilet with a fuse and fins

The first two photos are shots from the side and the top. Next to the toilet are a couple of photographs from the web that are posted along with the story for this 6 million'th pound of ordinance dropped..

The next photo shows most of the pieces that went into casting the bomb.. I found a pretty close 1/10th scale toilet at a dollhouse store. It is definetely bigger then 1/12th (very common doll house size) and matched my measurements from the good old throne in my house [laugh].. That had the tank and toilet lid removed and was filled, sanded and primered to get it ready for casting. The blue glob is the cast for the toilet.. That was about the easiest cast to make by just gluing the toilet to a piece of glass then a part of a plastic bottle around it... Just pour the mold rubber right over it all and there is your cast.. One of my first toilet casts are shown which did not have thr right amount of resin and ended up being pretty short.. I used some plastic channel material to build the frame around the toilet and made the fin setup out of laminatin plastic (the stuff you heat onto business cards) and rocket parts.. I ended up with a bit of 1/4-inch dowel and a #10 lock washer for the fuse. All the detail paint was done with Testors and a brush. I think it looks pretty cool

Yes, there are two "special bombs" there... One is my "flight" ordinance for actually dropping.. It was my first run with all the parts to fit and I'm very glad I did two setups..

To get the fins pretty straight with the frame and angle of the toilet was fun along with just getting everything to fit.. So, the first one is a little off here and there.. Perfect for dropping [laugh].. The second one is the one we cast with a 'bowl' to make it look a little better and has a little straighter fins, etc..

They just need some stickers to match the squadron symbol and we're good to go.. I think I'm going to put my example 1/48th scale stickers on it and will pretty much be the correct size[8D]...

We have a Scout Camporee this weekend.. Then yard work and some other things.. But, with luck I'll start on the fuselage or the tail feathers in the next few days...

Name:	Ge96592.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	926498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87875.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	926499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78628.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	926500  
Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 PM
TEBerg

So, Ram-bro.. What was that link??? Nothing ran for me.. It says podcast, would that mean I have to plug in some kinda IPod???

I'm barely coputer literate here [laugh]..
Old 04-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Ram-bro

did it load up? The screen wiill look a little different but did you hit the arrow to start the audio? You shouldn't have to load anything
Old 04-10-2008, 06:56 PM
TEBerg

Got It.. It took a LONG time to get loaded before it even started.. And it helps if you check your computer "mute" setting ..

Great story and information... Fun interview about the AD-5...
Old 04-10-2008, 11:24 PM
speedaholic
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that toilet looks great tom, I think i need one for mine. coming along great. camporee sounds fun, i remember scouts, those were the good ole days.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:05 PM
TEBerg

Back from the Camporee last weekend and off to work in San Jose this weekend[].. But, I did get some actual "building" done this week..

I'm now officially finished with Step 1 of the fuselage [laugh].. I'm actually following the instructions pretty close..

I have a copy of the February 1995 Model Airplane News Field & Bench Review for the Global Skyraider Kit.. The review does note that there are some areas where experienced modelers may do something different, but just following the instructions gets the bird together well.. So, I'm following the instructions and checking off the boxes just to keep it simple - Yep, I like the KISS Method. BTW, I copied the article into a PDF document if anyone is interested..

Here are some photos of the fuselage sides.. They are not exciting, but I figure I might as well report as many as the steps as I remember for those who may find some ideas useful. The only modifications I have "bashed" into the kit so far are to notch out the lower fuselage for the tail hook and to open a hole in the side for the R/C equipment access hatch.

The first photo shows the hatch I cut into the left fuselage side. I made a mock-up of the RC gear I want to hide (air valve, pressure gauge, switch, battery plug and the fuel dot) and then went looking for an area.. I really wanted to use a "scale" hatch, but the best I came up with was either behind a fake air brake or use one of the armor plates.. The area of the air brake was too far back and I worried about the weight and extra wiring. The armor plates are right at the cockpit, but there are 4 plates which either wrap around all the way to the cockpit or down to the wing.. So, I decided that just having the R/C stuff hidden was scale enough for this project.. I cut the opening in the fuselage side and the doubler before assembly to keep it easy.. You can see the diagonal splice in the front and rear fuselage in the photo.

The second photo is the notch I cut in the bottom rear of the fuselage for the tailhook. I will extend the profile into the bottom of the vertical stabilizer and the rudder to fit the tailhook and make the profile look a bit more realistic..

The Third photo is just gluing the two fuselage sides together along the diagonal.. It has been mentioned that some of the kit parts may be warped.. Yes, this is true[].. But a little bit of care while I build the plane and Hopefully it will be nice and straight.. So, this photo is just weighting down the sides to keep it all flush.. Next you lay the 2nd side over the first to match them up (with wax paper at the glue joint) and glue an identical side.. After you have two identical sides, you flip one over to create the "mirror" while building.. I broke out of the building sequence between this photo and the next because I wanted to laminate the plywood doublers Before I started adding stringers.. The instructions add the doubler last, but I needed to drop a bunch of weight onto the sides while I glued them with carpenter's glue.. This gave me a good working time and I think the wet glue may have helped soften up things while it set..

The last photo shows the "mirror" fuselage sides with all the stringers added.. Having the doubler in place first worked great when I glued the finished balsa pieces in with CA glue.. Well, I used epoxy on the large spar/stringer in the center just because of the location and wanting some extra strength there.. I'm keeping it pinned down and weighted for the weekend since I'm not getting a chance to go on to the next step..

Next I'll be fitting 1/16 balsa into the openings on the fuselage sides before I pull it off the board.. I read a few building notes that says it makes the fuselage look a lot better to have solid sides, even with just using Monokote covering..

Lastly - Speaking of Monokote.. I'm planning on covering this in Dove Grey over white.. Well, I went to look

Name:	Rp43018.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	932154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48689.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	932155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81525.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	932156   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16177.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	932157  
Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 AM
TEBerg

I had the chance to make a few more steps on the fuselage tonight.. I filled in the plywood openings with 1/16 balsa, epoxied the formers on the first side, then flipped it up on the second side and got the two halves together..

While that was all setting up, I went ahead and started the tailhook..

For the tailhook I started with 1/4-inch dowel and cut a profile out of 1/8-inch lite ply.. From there I glued blocks of basswood on the different angles of the hook. I went ahead and did some bulk filling with the wood putty tonight.. Next I'll grab the sanding block and see if I can make this thing look like a tailhook..

Name:	Ge95308.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	935080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48236.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	935081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16028.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	935082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70220.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	935083  
Old 04-23-2008, 02:16 AM
garfred-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

My name is Gary. I joined the navy in oct 1964. Went through boot camp, went too navy aviation ordanace school in Jacksonville FL. Then i was assigned to VA-25 for a couple months before i was transferred to VA-55 Lemoore NAS. Did three cruises ,USS Ranger.USS Constillation, and last one on the USS Hancock.
I have fond memorys of the AD. Well maybe not so fond really. Almost got killed by one. Some one behind our airplanes A4C Skyhawks, stationed on the aft deck. must have left the master arm swith on on his AD , and touched off his guns. Good thing the AD is a wheel dragger, the bullets wizzed overhead , about ten of them. You should have seen everyone scramble LOL. The air boss was not happy.
Good luck on your AD.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.