Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Early eighties D&B Models P-51 D

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Early eighties D&B Models P-51 D

Old 03-29-2008, 10:14 AM
AA5BY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Early eighties D&B Models P-51 D

D&B according to the plan was out of Mentor, Ohio. The 64" foam core wing and fiberglass fuselage Mustang was given to me partially constructed back in the early eighties by a then pilot for Walmart. I used finishing resin to seal the wing sheeting and painted with K&B epoxy but as it was being hardwared to fly, the wing sheeting joints started curling up and it was set aside and shortly thereafter I got out of the hobby for fifteen years.

The plane along with several others was stored in the barn rafters and a year ago was the last to come down after reactivating in 2002. The wing was a pitiful looking thing with all the sheeting joints broken loose and curled up. Twenty years of dust accumulation and moisture had taken a further toll and I walked to the trash container and made a deposit. I was surprised however to see the canopy on the fuselage still looking good and it seemed possible that with some loving care, the plane might survive yet and the wing was retrieved with the idea that maybe a new wing could be built and perhaps the core could be sectioned to get rib templates.

Initially, it had been thought that the foam had been attacked and hence the joints releasing but after some inspection the core was fine, it had been the sheeting adhesive near the joints that had released evidently by the finishing resin attacking both the sheeting joint glue and the sheeting to core bonding. I wondered if the sheeting would come off and found that the heat gun would release the bond and with a good amount of labor the wing was ready for new sheeting. It has been a slow project with only occasional attention and as I'm not a scale builder and didn't have a lot of interest other than believing that this plane deserved to fly.

The wing was re-sheeted and I was leery of glass with the foam core so polyester covering was put on with water based sanding sealer. It went ok and seemed light and fit the goal of flying performance rather than looks. I still had the motor that had been fitted to the plane those many years ago, a HB 61 PDP and it ran fine. Recently the plane has been repainted and prepared to fly when it was discovered that it is tail heavy, possibly not enough paint got sanded off. It had been fitted with 1/4 hardwood dowel push rods on the elevator, rudder and tail wheel all having generous metal sections on both ends and the servo tray was aft of the balance point albeit space exist ahead of the balance point.

So, a short list of things to alter include pull/pull rudder cables, lighter balsa push rods for elevator and tail wheel, and moving of the servo tray forward. These steps will hopefully reduce the additional nose weight from many ounces to only a few. I relate the story because it seems that this plane has resisted flying so many times but has not yet been given up on. At least one of the changes will not be easy, the elevator control torque rod and its horn have only two small access points either side of the tail post. I can't recall after the many years if the push rod was installed before the stab fitted or after. A hatch might be in play. The push rod has a generous 4-5 inches of metal rod on it however and it needs very little to make the connection and so can be lightened where it counts the most.

This has been long but I hope found interesting by someone... I'll report the changes and when the old bird flies.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:50 PM
AA5BY

Default RE: Early eighties D&B Models P-51 D

I promised a report when the plane was finished... it is ready to fly after a twenty five year build. It did require a generous amount of nose weight (9 oz) and came in at just over 32 oz/sq ft. Will report again after it is flown.

http://pages.suddenlink.net/arlyn/P0002820.JPG
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 PM
jeff naul
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the 78" version mustang and loved it! but i too had the sheeting pulling up problems and decided to trash it after many years. that was one good flying airplane! i bought my replacement cowl and canopy from fiberglass specialties about two years ago before i trashed the project. i've been on the lookout for another kit for quite sometime now.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 AM
AA5BY

Hi Jeff, the joint problems were obviously due to adhesive failure at the joints. The why of that would make an interesting discussion. My initial and many years belief was that the finishing resin attacked the foam through the glue joints but that proved false as the core was not dimpled at the joints. The more likely explanation for me now is that when wet sanding the finishing resin, moisture was absorbed into the glue joints of the sheeting and migrated 1/4 inch or each way to the water based bonding adhesive. At the same time, swelling of the wood added pressure and the joints were then the weak point to buckle up.

Did you use a finishing technique employing any wet sanding by chance? My joint problem did not show up however until after the epoxy finish coat but I'd used epoxy several times on sheeted foam wings but that was the first time to use finishing resin as the sealer.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:16 AM
AA5BY

After twenty-five years, the P-51 flew yesterday. It was a blustery cool Sunday in East Texas and I doubted anyone would choose to fly so I waited until late in the afternoon an hour before dark in hopes the wind would abate some and it did a little.

The plane accelerated without any nose over tendencies but wandered left significantly requiring a lot of right rudder and was a little sensitive to over controlling on ground tracking. A lot of up was needed to get it to break ground. Roll was quick but fortunately the plane flew almost in trim with two clicks of right roll needed and no pitch trim. A maiden with such little trim needed is a good thing and often foretells a good flying plane.

Up high, the 1st flap position was checked and produced a strong pitch down and the landing would have to be hot without flaps. Aileron rolls using elevator compensation were sloppy with down elevator more sensitive than up. The first landing was hot but smooth.

Needed were a couple of clicks of richness to the motor that had sagged only slightly in large loops but the motor was not hot and seemed to be cooling fine. Aileron was reduced to 80% on low rate and given 50% exponential as was the rudder. In preparing to trim some elevator trim in on the flap setting, it was noted that JR had built in some down pitch with the flap setting and it was concluded it was causing the down pitch on flaps and was neutralized.

After refueling, roll out tracking went better and the rudder was less sensitive to over control with the exponential. Again, a lot of elevator was needed to rotate. Checking the flap position showed no pitching. Aileron rolls were smooth when staying off the down elevator when inverted... the plane seemed sensitive to down. Snap rolls were impressive. Good power produced large loops and Cuban eights. The plane was certainly faster than most in my hanger and of course has a far greater wing loading at 32 oz. Lining up, flaps were set and a glide set with throttle and it came in as smooth as the blustery conditions would allow. Final flare required every bit of elevator available.

Elevator was adjusted with some differential with down being reduced to 80% and up to maximum the hinges would allow and giving 50% exponential on the low rate. Refueled and up again. This time aileron rolls could be given some elevator without getting sloppy. Tracking in loops while hard to be sure in the blustery conditions, seemed excellent. A couple of landings with attempts to stall the wheels down produced a bit of hop and might require getting off the throttle completely, something I wasn''t prepared to do yet.

I was happy the plane flew in good trim but was left wondering about the balance. While snap rolls were snappy, a lot of elevator is needed to rotate. I've not flown many planes this heavily loaded so don''t know if that is a characteristic or a balance issue. No in flight balance check was done but will be next outing. Dusk made the silver plane harder to see orientation and a fast plane gets out there quickly so a day was called after three flights, which seemed good because fingers were now cold and numb and my hat had blown off twice and this plane was too fast to take eyes off to retrieve.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome report! Thanks for sharing!

Dave Olson
Old 02-27-2021, 05:47 PM
ranger69ford

I know this is an old post and all, but I'm looking for the plans for this plane. Might you still have them?
Thanks
Old 02-28-2021, 09:06 AM
egldriver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

a friend of mine might,as well as a kit. I built/ flew several FG Mustang's in the 70's 90's. I'll check
The following users liked this post:
ranger69ford (02-28-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 11:57 AM
ranger69ford

That would be so awesome. Im having the hardest time finding any info.
Nice looking P51
Nathan
Old 02-28-2021, 04:12 PM
egldriver

AMA Nats,Lincoln Ne 1979. I'll check on plans and post
ranger69ford (02-28-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 08:46 AM
egldriver

found the plans, but it'll b 2 weeks till I get home. I'll see if I can get a copy made.
ranger69ford (03-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 04:10 PM
ranger69ford

That would be so awesome..... No rush on my end at all. Just super excited the bird still has a chance.
Thank you Nathan