Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

To glass or not to glass...?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

To glass or not to glass...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:59 AM
Netherwing
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To glass or not to glass...?

Edwin, and WhiteRook. The primer is a PPG product. I'll have to check the exact name when I get home from work. I looked for the nearest authorized PPG dealer and just asked for the lightest gray sandable primer they had in stock. After it dries, it has a rough texture. Once you hit it with some 320 sandpaper, it gets very smooth. I'll be using 400 after the second coat and it should be ready for the color. Just to warn you, it's not cheap and you have to get the thinning agent as well. I got a quart last year and it was something like $35. The gallon of thinner was about $20. Hope you have a good resporator mask because you will need it. As an after thought, I probably should have gone with Warbird Colors primer and paint....about the same cost..but probably easier to work with. I'll get back to you with the name of the Primer.

Later,

Mike
Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Any covering adhered to a balsa wing will add strength. How much strength or how much weight depends on what and how its done. If you want to know by what degree then you should build two wings, one glassed the other just balsa and stress them until they break. When glass is used in a "sandwich style-like a wing" construction method its much stronger then two identical layer together. Whether its needed or not is a different matter. The plane will survive much great hangar rash if glassed. Much is written about this and about using polyurethane instead of epoxy. I use Z-poxy and .75 ounce glass from a roll purchased form Thayer fiberglass. Its about $1.50 yard and as long as needed.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:54 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

I find Rustoleum auto primer from Home Depot very sandable. I have used Warbird Colors Primer and I have some Dupont water based primer to test.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rustoleum is what I have used in the past. Seemed ok. Always open to something new.
Edwin
Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Flak
My Feedback: (1)

Usd Rustoleum "Painters Touch". It leave hardly any residue as is very user friendly.