Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF 1/8 P-47 THUNDERBOLT prop choice????????

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF 1/8 P-47 THUNDERBOLT prop choice????????

Old 05-23-2008, 10:52 AM
willey
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF 1/8 P-47 THUNDERBOLT prop choice????????

OK guy's, need your HELP/Advice on "WHAT PROP" I should run on my Top Flight 65" P-47, running a new OS91II four banger, she's loaded up full boat, flaps, retracts, center tank and bomb drop. Have not weighed it yet but figure on the upper end of the scale, later tonight I'll weigh it with the scales I have and let you know.

Looking for power not speed, probably should have gone with a 120, but originally was not going all out on this build, you now how that works, one thing leads to another.

thanks for your help in advance,
you guys really helped me out on the 51 and helped make it a totally successful maiden

any advice is very welcome!!

Thanks, mark willey

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63965.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	955226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38274.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	955227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36028.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	955228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27431.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	955229  
Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 AM
alfredbmor

Default RE: TF 1/8 P-47 THUNDERBOLT prop choice???????? need your help please......

Great building job and amazing painting finish, did you post your building process?

I do not know what the altitude is over there but the plane seems to be a bit heavy for your engine. Here at 4,000 ft. altitude we must overpower a bit our planes to have a good performance (thinner air). If you are near sea level I think that your engine will be fine and I also think that a 14 x 7 apc or a 14 x 8 wood top flite will be a good choice. I also would give a try to a 15 x 4 wide that will provide less speed but you will need more diameter because of the size of the cowl.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:41 PM
willey

Default RE: TF 1/8 P-47 THUNDERBOLT prop choice???????? need your help please......

Hi Alfred, thanks for your help, I'll give it try and let you know, I do fly a APC 15x4W on another OS91 I have, but it's JUST in a "Showtime 50" - very light airframe -not fast, but sure shows authority with that prop.

Hoping to maiden by Monday, still have to balance & fiddle with the retracts abit.

thanks again
willey
Old 05-23-2008, 03:18 PM
US185Damiani

Default RE: TF 1/8 P-47 THUNDERBOLT prop choice????????

Willey,
A 14x6 APC should pull this OK just don't horse it around,

I have an 11 lb P-40 and fly it on a 14x8 with the same engine, the 14x8 is too much prop
Old 05-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I really like the MA 14X6 on that engine. It seems like a good balance between speed and torque. You need the torque because of that weight but you also need air moving over those wings. I had an overweight warbird and thought that a lower pitch prop would be the answer but it ended up that the plane could never really get to a speed much higher than stall.

I also would choose the MA in this plane because the 14X6 APC seems a bit faster to me and I think the MA also has the advantage of looking a tad more scale, not much, but a little.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

bTW the plane looks great. I am about to start the same plane but will be going with a 1.20 four stroke.

If you dont mind I might PM you some questions about it. I would like to know a little bit about your paint, panel lines, and rivets.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:32 PM
willey

Thanks guy's, well I just weighed it came in at 11.75 lbs. dry - [X(]OoohBoy[X(] thinking I was gunna be closer to 11 but... well I did add on-board glow, and decided to go with the Hitec 645MG servos on flaps(2), elevator(1), ailerons(1) and full cockpit.

Well guy's is this gunna fly?????????[][]

Gringo, the finish is glassed, then painted with Dupont basecoat w/aerogloss flat clear, for the panel lines/rivets I just used the topflight panel line pen, added a little weathering with some pastels and washes then cleared over - thats it. all graphics are paint - no stickers except the girl herself, found her as a sticker for your car windows and she was sitting on a zippo lighter, I cut the lighter out and painted a couple dice instead.

this weekend I'll take some "updated" shots of it so you can see more details and the cockpit/pilot, it was alot of fun building.

thanks again for the help,
willey
Old 05-23-2008, 10:50 PM
US185Damiani

works fine at 11.75, just use an 14x6 and you'llbe fine. just don't horse it off fly it off
Old 05-24-2008, 12:41 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my OS 91fs engines really like the MAS 14/6 props they spin up nicely and have plenty of power for my 8.5lb hangar-9 planes,with that said I also put a OS120 pumped engine in my TF P-47,I haven't done the maiden yet I need to do the final balance and tune up yet, work has been buisy, I think mine should be about 10lbs I want to get the stuff done so I can fly this thing as well I have been dragging.
did you have to add any weight to the nose for balance the 120 is quite a bit heavyer mine is close to balance without having it on the CG machine