Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

P-51MUSTANG RCU.COM

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

P-51MUSTANG RCU.COM

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:40 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: P-51MUSTANG RCU.COM

If you ever want a total thrill go to the Falcon Field Air museum in Mesa Arizona. They have a P-47D sitting right next to an FW-190A you will be astounded at the size difference. The Fw looks like a toy next to the jug.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:26 AM
zorby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly the same thing has happened to me Steve....was making one of the best approachs on finals that i have ever done,,had the speed,,rate of descent..full flaps and wheels down..everything just sweet. Then i saw that black thing drop from the bottom of the plane.....yep it was a wheel. Full throttle, wheels up and half-flap and go around to line up for a belly landing. One thing with the Mustang...she takes a wheels-up landing no problem at all...just a little dirt in the front of the air-scoop.
And i found my wheel..still with the axle captive in the hub !!
Pat
Old 05-31-2008, 01:20 PM
willey
My Feedback: (32)

Never a dull moment with a Warbird.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:04 PM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

Most of those kills the Germans got were with outdated equipment the Russians, Polish and French were flying. Once the Americans showed up to back up the British kill ratios fell for the Germans. Kinda like with the US in the first war with Iraq. No contest. Soon as the Americans got the first Thunderbolt the Germans were behind the power curve. And they began to lose air superiority. The Germans had some wild designs for the time but couldnt really put them to use with any effectiveness. Like there little rocket plane that killed more German pilots in training than allied personnel. Just watch dogfights on history channel.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:03 AM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

my tread must have been not very good ,died very quickly, but will try to bring it back to life . Saw the tail end of the top 10 fighters on the miltary channel and guess who won , the plane i love the most the p-51, author called it the best of the best. Wished i could have seen all of the show , it will be on again soon frank
Old 06-17-2008, 04:05 PM
brewmanbrett

I have to disagree with you here Easton. The Germans were never behind the power curve, just the manpower curve. The late model Bf109's and Fw-190's were every bit the match for our planes, and in some cases better. There was a constant game of "oneupmanship" going on right up to the end.

The real blow to the Luftwaffe was leadership and strategy, primarily from Goering himself.

Goering should have listened to his experienced pilots and leaders like Adlof Galland and Gunther Rall.

They should have rotated their pilots more frequently to allow more training and experience for all their pilots rather than exhaust the few highly trained pilots they had, and replace them with inexperienced youngsters.

They should have built heavy, long range bombers rather than concentrate on a medium bomber philosophy. (They were hoping these smaller 2 engine bombers could outrun fighters, but as technology caught up, that gamble failed.) They could have compiled those resources to make more fighters as well.

They should have stayed after the RAF bases and Radar Stations in the Battle of Britain rather than bombing London (they had the Brits on their knees until Hitler demanded retribution for the bombing of Berlin). This allowed Fighter Command to regroup, and deal the Luftwaffe their first big blow, it wasn't our boys. Had the invasion been successful, we would never have had "The English Aircraft Carrier" from which to launch the bombing raids that crippled the German war industry.

Sure, we kicked but when we got over there, but by that time, they were so outnumbered and demoralized by poor leadership that the wave was insurmountable. It was in no way comparable to the 1st Gulf War. We lost many good pilots to the Germans in air combat. I think we lost zero to the Iraqis.

Dogfights is a great show, but the fact that most of the episodes show our guys winning shouldn't lead you to believe that our planes were significantly better than their front line fighters. We simply had more of them, and by that time, a lot more well trained pilots to fly them.

Cheers!
Old 06-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: brewmanbrett

I have to disagree with you here Easton. The Germans were never behind the power curve, just the manpower curve. The late model Bf109's and Fw-190's were every bit the match for our planes, and in some cases better. There was a constant game of "oneupmanship" going on right up to the end.

The real blow to the Luftwaffe was leadership and strategy, primarily from Goering himself.

Goering should have listened to his experienced pilots and leaders like Adlof Galland and Gunther Rall.

They should have rotated their pilots more frequently to allow more training and experience for all their pilots rather than exhaust the few highly trained pilots they had, and replace them with inexperienced youngsters.

They should have built heavy, long range bombers rather than concentrate on a medium bomber philosophy. (They were hoping these smaller 2 engine bombers could outrun fighters, but as technology caught up, that gamble failed.) They could have compiled those resources to make more fighters as well.

They should have stayed after the RAF bases and Radar Stations in the Battle of Britain rather than bombing London (they had the Brits on their knees until Hitler demanded retribution for the bombing of Berlin). This allowed Fighter Command to regroup, and deal the Luftwaffe their first big blow, it wasn't our boys. Had the invasion been successful, we would never have had "The English Aircraft Carrier" from which to launch the bombing raids that crippled the German war industry.

Sure, we kicked but when we got over there, but by that time, they were so outnumbered and demoralized by poor leadership that the wave was insurmountable. It was in no way comparable to the 1st Gulf War. We lost many good pilots to the Germans in air combat. I think we lost zero to the Iraqis.

Dogfights is a great show, but the fact that most of the episodes show our guys winning shouldn't lead you to believe that our planes were significantly better than their front line fighters. We simply had more of them, and by that time, a lot more well trained pilots to fly them.

Cheers!
I hate to think about what would have happened if Hitler had let the professional soldiers run his war.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:54 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

i would hate to think what we would have done without the 47 or the P-40, the first few years of WW2, i'm talking MED Theatre , africa , italy .
Old 06-17-2008, 05:40 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

Well if i was in charge, we would have lost the war,here is my hanger 9 one of many, but was told the landing gear is in wrong and its a hanger queen, you cant win the war if the planes are grounded frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23483.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	972675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55511.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	972676  
Old 06-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Late war German warbirds were on par, or a wee bit better than late war Allied warbirds. It wasn't poor aircraft that killed the German airwar, it was poor planning and management from the upper command structure.

As was said, imagine if Galland, Rall, Hartman, Romell or any of the true warriors that Germany had ran the war.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Whistling Death

ORIGINAL: Evil_Merlin

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Late war German warbirds were on par, or a wee bit better than late war Allied warbirds. It wasn't poor aircraft that killed the German airwar, it was poor planning and management from the upper command structure.

As was said, imagine if Galland, Rall, Hartman, Romell or any of the true warriors that Germany had ran the war.
Yea, the German war machine is a pure case study of how not to run a war. Romell was at his home but he could have come bask quickly and just wreaked havok all over the Normandy coast. They had all of the out of this world technology but complete lunitic running the show. They had great tactics, but when the situation excalated they were trained to use the chain of command for futher orders. Sometimes that chain went all the way to the top.
American commanders and on down to non-coms, were taught to improvise, adapt, and overcome. They didn't have to ask the CP if it was ok to engage.
I did know till the other day that Germany had actually made 1200 ME-262's.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 AM
easton24
My Feedback: (1)

Im sorry I should have been a little clearer with the Iraq comparison. I was using it to compare the Germans air campaign against Polish and other countries in the early years of WWII. Obsolete World War I era planes against the Germans was no contest. Kinda like horse calvary against tanks. Im sure the German armored divisions counted those battles as victories also but were they really. Kills listed by the Germans includes every country they invaded no matter what kind of equipment the defending country was flying. Numbers counted by the Americans, British, Canadians in European theater only included German and Italian kills. Inflated numbers and non inflated numbers.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Actually nearly 1400 were built.

Only 200 made their way to combat units...

Scary.

I mean really though, I'm kinda glad it went the way it did (minus the millions and millions of deaths, Holocaust and others), because the world might just be a very different place.
Kinda funny how it works like that...