Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Midwest Sundowners Warbird Day

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Midwest Sundowners Warbird Day

Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM
prop wash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Sundowners Warbird Day

Your all welcome to the "Midwest Sundowners" War Bird Day this Saturday at Wheeler IN [7/19/08].09:00 am
Tom
Old 07-16-2008, 09:37 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Midwest Sundowners Warbird Day

Will be there again this year w/ more birds in tow. Will be towing 2 Corsairs, P40, 109, couple 190's, and whatever else can fit in the vehicle(s).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13003.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	992110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87181.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	992111  
Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Directions:
Let's see if this interactive map works:
http://maps.yahoo.com/broadband#mvt=...5%2C-87.191274

Club Website:
http://www.midwestsundowners.com/

I'll be there with a pair of Corsairs (sorry, no Mustang, it encountered a sudden excessive loss of altitude last weekend).

This is usually THE LARGEST ANNUAL WARBIRD EVENT within 120 miles of my home in Kalamazoo, MI.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:01 PM
prop wash

[&o] Sorry to hear about your mustang Jim.Is it totaled??
Tom
Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: prop wash
[&o] Sorry to hear about your mustang Jim.Is it totaled??
Tom
The wing survived with no damage except front fairing came loose. I ordered (and recieved) a new fuselage, cowling, motor mount, and tail group (too much trouble to remove the old one and attach to new fuselage), and hope to have it ready again in less then 2 weeks. All electronics, motor, and batteries survived. I'll re-use the retractable tailwheel and the mounts for it. I will also re-use the pilot and 'radio'. Even the spinner and prop survived (tall grass, with moist dirt).
It couda been much worse, certainly glad the wing survived. Cost for all the parts is about $175.
On the good side: my "SHOO SHOO BABY" grafix arrived the day after the crash, so I did not have them applied yet.
My biggest regret of course: it won't be at the SunDowners Warbird Day this year.

See 'ya there.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:20 AM
CorsairJock

Weather:
http://www.weather.com/weather/hourb...nav_undeclared

Sorry guys, I've battled the weather at every event that I've gone to this year, and can't see spending another $75 or so on gas to get to this one. I was really hoping that I could make it, since I missed it last year, but the weather gods are not being very kind to me this year.

On a more positive note: my excessive overtime at work has come to an end, which means that I will have more time for flying during the flying season, and more time for building in the off season. Translation: I will have MORE/ BETTER warbirds for next year's event(s), AND a cargo trailer to haul them in.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:29 PM
wulf190
My Feedback: (19)

Driving there in sprinkles, got there and put the tent up, started really raining, and someone busted out the wireless internet feed of the radar report...and we all said..uh oh. Couple hours later the flying gods said 'let there be light', and there was light.....and flyinggood and plenty of it! Another truly awesome set up, meeting great guys and seeing great planes. Got in a nice flight on the FW right after the rain stopped and the wind was calm. I recall now why it was that I had such a nice time last year at this fly in, and I am a go again for next year w/ more planes yet again-maybe more than one of them will actually fly next time.[X(] At any rate, thanks to all the guys at Midwest Sundowners who are SUCH an incredibly dedicated group of skilled modelers. It's VERY motivating to have this a bit more than an hour from me.....See many of you all again in Sept. for the big bird fly in.....sorry, I'll still bring warplanes (maybe something not even German come September )

Mike
Old 07-23-2008, 05:58 PM
prop wash

Mike I didn't see you there,but I guess you saw me put my TFGS P51 in the dirt at the North end of the field.Don't know what happened.Got back to the field and tested everything and it was OK. Hope to see you at Palos Park in August.
Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43511.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	996370  
Old 07-24-2008, 04:31 AM
CorsairJock

Tom,
The SAC Warbird Event is now a GO for Austust 23, the day before the Palos event. With 2 Warbird events on back to back days, within less then 10 miles of each other: I am now making plans to be there.
As we did last time (2 years ago), my wife and I will camp out at the Kankakee State Park (beginning Wednesday or Thursday evening), and make the morning commutes to BOTH events.
SO, if I don't see you the SAC event, I'll see you at the Palos event.
............Jim

PS: Mustang is just about ready (again).