Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Model Design 96" Spitfire Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Model Design 96" Spitfire Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:26 PM
spitmad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Model Design 96" Spitfire Build

Hey guys

After being constantly "harrassed" by a few fellow Aussie members here I thought I would post pics to date of the 1:4.5 scale Spitfire build. Some of you may remember that I started a build thread on the Vailley 1/5 Tempest however that has stalled as I wait for new laser cut wing ribs, hence I decided to start on another project I had sitting "in stock"

The "kit" is basically a fibre glass fuse and a few lumps of foam for the wings which is sold through Model Design here in Australia, I'm not sure of the origins of the fuse which they took the mold off or the wing section suffice to say that it is a "reasonable" rendition of an early Mk Spitfire (MkI- V) however the spinner size is a little small and the front cowl a little off . I have been mad on Spits for years and I have wanted a giant scale Spitfire for some time as it is by far the beautiful shaped fighter of them all (IMHO ) .
The plan was to build a Mk Vb spit with the usual panel lines and rivets however for simplicity I would not be going over the top on scale details, the "plans for the build ar very rudimentary with indicative sizes for the control surfaces and u/c location etc, I ended up check most of the sizing to a 1/48 scale plastic model and some basc drawings and pictures.

Unfortunately I failed to take any pics of the very early stages of the build suffice to say that many hours were spent sheeting hot wire cut foam cores and then building the leading and trailing edges.
Prior to glueing the outer panels to the centre section, I cut out the flap recesses and the ailerons and installed the balsa hinge pieces . After the control surfaces were cut out I made up a jig and used Hysol to glue the wing panels to the centre section with the correct dihedral (6 deg from memory) and incidence. The kit was supplied with fibre glass wing tips which were way off shape so I binned them and balsa bashed some new ones .

Not wanting to have a model with terrible ground handling (nosing over and tipping on its wing tips in turns ) I decided to take on the advice of a bloke I met who had already built the same model and suggested I move the u/c forward 1.5" and outwards 1" to provide a slightly wider track and wheels just forward of the leading edge. After marking out the location of the retracts, I fired up the dremel and cut out the foam for the gear mounts.The U/C mounts were built from a 3/4" laminated ply around a box section with hard wood rails mounted through ply wing ribs which extend to 50% of the cord to spread the load, this was fitted into the wing recess and after much measuring to get the angles correct were epoxied (Hysol) in place.

The wheel wells were carved out and sheeted and the next step was to install the upper wing blisters for the wheel wells as well as the cannon upper and lower wing blisters (yes the MkV had cannon magazine blisters on both sides ), these again were roughly scaled off a plastic model and after viewing countless shots in "Flypast" magazines
After much shaping filling and sanding I glassed the centre section out to the wheel wells with 6 oz cloth , next step was hinging of the control surfaces, for ease of build I went for a top hinged aileron and a standard pin hinged flap arrangement (yes I know not scale but anything else is beyond my patience and ability). The flaps will have ribs installed to disguise the hinge blocks some what and look "scalei-sh"

Anyway some pics of the wing to date and the what the end result should look like

Stay tuned

Cheers Alan

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35162.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1057064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53015.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1057065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41609.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1057066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25972.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1057067  
Old 10-22-2008, 05:41 PM
spitmad

Default RE: Model Design 96" Spitfire Build

Guys

a few more pics of the retracts installation with 14 deg of forward rake and 20 deg of reward angle.........you will notice they are quite a way forward to prevent the nose over syndrome........again not exactly scale but should do the job.
BTW the retracts are sourced from Custom Retracts here in Oz and have oil filled oleos which cusions the rebound and the should help reduce the typical Spitfire bounce on landing

Alan

Name:	Sq46215.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1057089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69652.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1057090   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28108.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1057091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16871.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1057092  
Old 10-23-2008, 04:04 AM
Merlin Man

Hi,
This should be a great Spitfire.

I think you were wise to bring the Struts forward as the scale location can be a problem. No, rephrasing that, is always a problem ! I have seen one of these fly and it was majestic with it's big loops and scale flying speed.

Good luck with the build and I will be watching.

Cheers,
Merlin Man.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:15 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WELL DONE AL!!!!!!
That wasnt too hard now was it???? (starting a thread)
That stance looks very acceptable Mate and will surely help with ground handling. Good job and I have fully subscribed to your thread as this Spitty looks very nice and it is here in Australia and we had tropical Mk v's in WWII and I might just have to get one one day.
Very interesting about the cannon bulges under the wing. I have never seen that. But there is a lot I havn't seen I suppose.
Lots of pics and info please.

Brad
Old 10-23-2008, 06:23 AM
rc-jg

Thats looks nice keep the pictures coming
Old 10-23-2008, 04:11 PM
spitmad

Thanks Guys

A few more progress shots, the tail feathers are built "clam shell style" ie they are built in two halves then joined together, the instructions were pretty vague and the first horizontal stab I built with too thick ..........dohhhhh so I scaled the thickness off some drawings and my trusty plastic model and made a new set , I will cover the rudder and elevators with the solartex and still need to add some internal structure detail that will be visible through the fabric.

The choice of motivation will be a 3MM 53 cc donk which I pulled out of my 85" Yak (yuk) areobatic thingy (yawn).........I used this as a flying test bench to see how the Chinese donk performed an it was brilliant pulling a 22 x 10 at 7000 rmp and rated at 5.2 hp it should plenty of grunt the pull the Spitty around . The donk and stock muffler fit entirely within the cowl so it should be a neat installation. Cooling may be a problem however so I may install a fan behind the spinner to aid airflow and duct the hot air out thru the belly in front of the super charger intake.......
I was going to go a DA50 however they are too light (and I think the 3MM has a bit more grunt) and I will obviously need to add a fair amount of lead to balance the beast.

I'm just waiting on Lenny from Shindin to finish the tail strutt so I can then start work on the fuse, the glass work is a bit thin so I may install polystyrene foam formers down to the tail to stiffen the fuse.

I just ordered the exhaust stacks from Mick Reeves which will do juts fine and the 1/5 scale Dbalsa cockpit kit is about the right size as well
Brad
Yes the early MkVs had a 60 round drum magazine hence they had a blister on top of the wing (firing mech) and a blister below to accomodate the drum mag, later Mks went to a belt fed Hispano cannon as per the MkIX with only the top wing blister...........I scaled the blisters off the placky model which at 1/48 is roughly 1/10 of the MD Spit......so any measurement multiply by 10 and add 10% .

next stage of the build is to install the cannons which I getting spun up on a wood lathe whioch will screw into the wing, once I have epoxied in the cannon mounting timber it will be time to glass the entire wing ......yeee haaa........I need to glass it ASAP to prevent the hanger rash and damaging the soft balsa wing tips[:@]......It's a bloody big wing which is easy to ding in a crowded shed !

cheers

Alan

Name:	Bz76932.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1057544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37477.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1057545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58769.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1057546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73151.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1057547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57787.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1057548  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:21 PM
spitmad

Hi Guys

Some more progress over the weekend, the lower surface of the wing is now glassed with 3/4 oz and ready for nocking back with 80 gritt, still need to glass the wheel wells and flap recesses.
The cannon barrels were also fitted , these are screwed into dowels set in the leading so easily removable for transport.

Shots of the glassed wing with barrels fitted, the assembled model taking shape and my construction supervisor who insists on inspecting every stage.

cheers

Alan

Name:	Wu60698.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1059479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13369.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1059480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48727.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	1059481  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:22 PM
rc-jg

What make/design kit is it ?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:03 PM
spitmad

JG
the Spit is made and sold by Model Design here in Australia, glass fuse and foam core wing 96" span

http://www.modeldesign.com.au/detail...t=models&id=13

retracts by Custom Retracts http://www.customretracts.com.au/

Engine is a 3MM 53cc

cheers

Alan
Old 01-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Brad330l

Alan,
You must have updates by now!!!!
Anything happening?

Cheers,

Brad
Old 03-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Brad330l

Ahh,, Huh Hmmmmmm,,,,, Al?

Brad
Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Al has left the building, thank you very much
hehehe

I have one of these sitting forlornly as well

As you can it is large model. Wish mine was at the stage of Al's

I'm a bit hooked on spits as well hehe

Name:	Qo40669.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1168212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17100.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1168213  
Old 04-19-2009, 09:23 PM
spitmad

Hi Guys

Sorry for my absence, I got side tracked with my Datsun 260Z retoration for the past few months..........BUT I'M BACK BABY !!!

This is my Zed that kept me away from the building bench , I won "Best Zed" at the QLD Easter Nationals and came thrid in class at Morgan Park raceway .

Ok back to the Spit, freshly back from a 17 hr drive from Warwick, I spent a few hours on the weekend installing the engine (3MM 53 gasser) and glued the horizontal stab in place (I had to mount the engine to check all the incidences of engine main plane and horizontal stab ). I have also added a layer of 6 oz cloth to the fuse front section as it was easily deformed.
In the past few months I have also made a new oil cooler (Mk V style) from a balsa block and opened up the underwing radiator, the supplied superchager intake is way off scale so I'll carve up a new one from a a balsa block.

I need to work on a way to duct cooling air around the engine and vent it thru the firewall as I want the donk fully enclosed and use a fan behind the spinner to blow air past the head, this works on the Byron P51 so hopefully I can get it to work on the Spit

Stay tuned for new pics shortly

Alan

Name:	Mk25539.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1183633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53854.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	1183634  
Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 AM
Brad330l

Cool Mate,,, good on ya.[8D]

Cheers,

Brad
Old 04-20-2009, 08:43 PM
spitmad

Ok a few more pics

The engine is mounted in a manner which will enable it to be fully enclosed within the cowl with only the exhaust stub protruding (this will be cut to a shorter length later) , I will have to experiment with cooling by way of an aluminium fan behind the spinner and possibly a supplementary electric ducted fan drawing air from behind the cylinder head thru the fuse.

The oil cooler radiator is scaled from a plastic model kit and numerous drawings and is carved from balsa, the coolant radiator is the FG suplied with the kit with a flap added and some internal baffles to allow air to flow thu but angled so you cannot actually see thru it when head on , the supercharger intake supplied is too large so I will carve another up from a balsa block.

Alan

Name:	Us54571.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1184258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75071.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1184259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57430.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1184260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16248.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1184261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm74250.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1184262  
Old 04-20-2009, 08:59 PM
spitmad

I have been trying to find early style exhaust stubs for some time and Phil Clark from Fighter aces (UK) came to the rescue with these resin formed stubs, they are 1/4 scale and a little bigger than they should be as the model is 1/4.5 but they will do fine...........I am not looking for perfect scale just a model that looks good from 10 ft away....so I will use these instead of the late style individual stubs I found earlier.

The other find was a tail wheel from Lenny at Shindin , this was scaled up from the Yellow Spit tail wheel, Lenny will custome make to any size

Dynamic Balsa have a resin cockpit kit which is around the correct size and Clarke Industries in Canada have their 1/4 scale latex pilots..........so these should do nicely.

Next step is to work on the cowl, I plan to fix the upper cowl in place and just have a removable lower section, this will get rid of the ugly join line around the nose section (see last pic) .

Name:	Qo40030.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1184283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20480.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1184284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96255.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1184285  
Old 04-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Al,
good to see you back at it. Fancy being distracted by a car! Almost as bad as being distracted by a bit of skirt!

I like those exhausts, tail wheel etc. Very nice. How does the tail wheel setup go? Assume it can be made steerable? Is it sprung?

When are you getting the Pilot? Be interested in having a look at one of those for my build.

cheers
Peter

Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

is that the HD supplied spinner or did you get a another one?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 PM
spitmad

Thanks Pete

heheheh...my days of chasing skirt are over ('Er in doors would ensure it would cost me a motza).....so cheaper to play with cars

I have an HD spinner which I bought with the kit , however the spinner fitted is from Desert Aircraft (KS spinner)

http://shop.desertaircraft.com.au/catalogue/c12/c25

The tail wheel is steerable via a bell crank which I'll run off the rudder servo, they are not sprung (bugger) but I have mounted it through a large ply reinforced balsa block which is Hysol'd into the tail....just need to land on the mains first and go easy on the three pointers

I think the tail wheel was around $80usd landed....the exhaust stubs were GBP 36 landed .........the pilots are $70 CAN and the cockpit kit (bisc version ) is $40 usd .

The Clark pilots look a bit naff but the only other option I can find is a custom made 1/4 scale pilot from Fighter Aces in the UK .........for GBP225 !!!!.....they look great that's a bit heavy for mine price wise !!!

http://www.fighteraces.co.uk/

This is the "Rubbery figure" Clark pilot

Name:	Db83652.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	1184374  
Old 04-21-2009, 05:48 AM
Brad330l

All great news Al.
Doing your cowl the way you want to do it you can take a couple of moulds and try some different cooling inlets, or leave it off for initial running and tuning.
Looks great Mate.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 04-21-2009, 06:04 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Al,
can relate to the "cost me a motza"

got 6 months payments left to go for my youngest girl from marriage #1 ! Woo Hoo can have all that extra $$ for models then hehe

What part number is that Da spinner? Is it correct profile for a Spit?

I guess those Clarke pilots are not too bad but would test my artistic abilities! $225 GBP for a pilot? Are they nutz? Can't justify that sort of outlay for a pilot, they may be nice though.

Non sprung tail heel worries me for tail bouncing, my P51 used to do that a lot till I modifed the tail retract to be sprung. Could do something similiar with yours I would think ala full size.

Do you have the DB part # for the cockpit kit? I was thinking an inzpan panel for mine.

I'm still tempted to do mine as a mk VIII even though the nose is a bit short.

anyway can't sneak to the shed for afew days as wife is up the sunshine coast on 4 days of leadership training! Can't leave little man asleep in the house on his own. Especially when the shed is 200 m from the house. I kid you not.

anyway back to listing some stuff in the website.

cheers
Peter
Old 04-21-2009, 07:51 PM
spitmad

G'day Pete

Wow...multiple marriages ??..........you are a glutton for punishment

The Spinner is KS brand sold by DA, I'm not sure of th part number I just ordered one that was the same diameter as the MD spinner, the shape is not quite right but I think it looks a little better as it does not have all the grub screws sticking out of it.....and I wanted a spare so I can test a three blade prop.
http://shop.desertaircraft.com.au/catalogue/c12/c25

The Dbalsa cockpit is the 1/5 scale which is 6 3/8" wide which should fit nicely and only $40usd , they also have a Spitfire gun site for $20 so I ordered that as well, I did think about the Inspan cockpit but again big $$$
http://www.dbalsa.com/accessories/cockpits.htm

The Clark pilot is a compromise and yes the Fighter Aces pilots look just like the Blue Box pilots just bigger so very detailed but I cannot jutsify nearly $500 bucks for a doll!
The Clark rubbery figure needs painting but I am pretty good at that stuff.........I also have a a couple of Aces of Iron 1/4 scale US pilots which I painted up like these one pictured, but they are not full bodied (bugger) I was thinking of grafting a body off a Vailley pilot onto him but that sounds like alot of work

http://www.acesofiron.com/page/AOIW2P51.htm

You are right about the unsprung tail wheel............I was trying to think up an easy way of spring loading it but gave up......so I'll see how the fixed one goes for now...unless I get an inspiration

200m to you shed !!!.........wow you must be living on a 1000 acres ............do you have room for your own air strip ?

Name:	Ca81858.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	1184879  
Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

more like dumb, dunno about glutton.

anyway #2 is back on track after a little sabatical by us both.

Well investigate those spinners, Ian Howard is only over other side of Bris and good mate of mine knows him well so will pop over to look at them first hand.

DB cockpit kit maybe the way to go purely from a $$ perspective. Hard to justify cost of the inzpan cockpits. same for those Fighter aces pilots, mate thay may be works of art but I can't afford $500 on a doll either [:-] her indoors would have a fit and dend 10 new outfits as compensation hehe.

that aces of iron pilot looks grouse, great job of paining. Now if the head could be grafted to a body that had suitable uniform and fittings . . .

Tail wheel would be quite easy, the tail unit pokes down at about a 45 degree angle. If you made the top most point a pivot then used a shock absorber such as the one used on the Robart 160WC tail unit then think that would work nicely.

The block is 3000 m^2 and yup can fly a small eletric park flyer in it thoughthink the neighbours would object to the Seafury screaming about. There is plenty of length to take off and land though but after that little youtube incident with the DJ flight over in Perth I think that will not be a wise move.

cheers
Peter

Old 04-21-2009, 11:40 PM
dubs1946

hi guys, nice to see some Australian aircraft i have been following this thread it looks great.
My 95inch spit died a hero's death at Sheperton scale week-end last year.
At the moment i am testing a 100inch TA152 just passed its certification you can see the flight at our new club web-site
http://www.wrcs.org.au/
The test flight is the last video in the section, the club is in Belrose Sydney and we have just got the Forum up and running feel free to join.
In the video section you can see my Spitfire in the second to last video these large Spitfire's look great in the air, the aircraft was 18 years old and Sheperton was going to be its last contest before a complete overhaul but a broken elevator push rod saved me the trouble.
One contest to many
Dave.
.javascript:void(AddText('[\&o]',''))
javascript:void(AddText('[\&o]',''))
Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 AM
Peter_OZ
Banned

BUGGER !!!! [:@][>:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.