Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

**TEST FLIGHT this week***Martin Baker 5 Finished Pics Check it out

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

**TEST FLIGHT this week***Martin Baker 5 Finished Pics Check it out

Old 08-03-2003, 01:12 AM
lovetoflyguy
My Feedback: (139)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **TEST FLIGHT this week***Martin Baker 5 Finished Pics Check it out

Hey Fred,

After talking to you tonight, I had to stop by RCU and see this plane! Wow is about all I have to say. Here I thought I was doing something different by building a YAK 9, but you beat me! This plane looks great! Its so nice to see some different warbirds. We'll have to fly together sometime. I'll try to make a plane trip up there and fit something in some time!

Keep em' Flyen!
PJ
Old 08-03-2003, 03:04 AM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi PJ,
Great talking with you tonight. Would love to do some flying with you. Well guys, the test flight day is just around the corner. After sorting out some engine problems, this bird is ready for flight. Hoping to fly it this Sat. weather permitting. Will let you know how everything goes. Thanks for your patience!!
Fred Menna Check6
Old 08-03-2003, 12:17 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Very nice !!

Finished pics look great ! Good luck on that first flight.

You know what they say.. at some point 'ya just have to hit the throttle and go !

Seriously, Good Luck !
Old 08-03-2003, 03:09 PM
Razor44

Beautiful plane Fred. Good luck with that test flight.
One question. Why are the elevator trim tabs different to one another? Obviously this was done on the full scale prototype but why?
Randy
Old 08-03-2003, 07:54 PM
Check6

Hi Randy and Jim, thanks for your comments. Randy, I couldn't find anything in my literature about the differences in elevator trim tabs. If anything it's a coversation starter. LOL. I'll keep you posted about the Test flight.
Thanks,
Fred Menna
Old 08-03-2003, 09:05 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

looking forward to seeing some flight pics Fred.
good luck on her maiden!

Todd
Old 08-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Check6

Hi Todd,
Thanks for the encouragement. Will let you know how it goes.
Fred
Old 08-19-2003, 05:37 PM
David Pardini

Fred, your call telling me you had 6 fine flts. on your magnificent MB-5 made my day, month, year!! Your description on how she flies is music to my ears and I know how great you feel after putting in so much effort in designing and building her and to have a real winner on your hands. I clearly remember my feelings after the first flight in 1977 of my 1:7.6 scale MB-5. Your details and innovative improvements ( completely hidden muffler and exhaust system ) go way beyond my efforts and I couldn't be more proud to be a small part of your fine project.

At the other end of the size spectrum is my 53" span F-7-F Tigercat that I've told you about and feel that perhaps the other scale nuts out there would enjoy hearing about. Not so much that it is a Tigercat but the fact that it is electric powered and I have the capacity to fly all out for 18min. on one charge. Course, I usually fly only 8 to 9 min. flts.

The flight performance of this plane has to be seen to be believed. You know how I want-demand high performance of my fighter types. I have it in spades with this "filly". She does everything right, from catapulting to landing on the nacelles on grass. In the air, aerobatic performance is outstanding with huge loops starting at 10 ft. and ending there; long slow rolls and 4 & 8 point rolls; reverse Cuban eights; etc.,etc. To give a good idea of the vertical capabilities, after the catapult launch ( shades of the Navy! ), I usually swing around and into a high speed low pass and then pull her up at about a 40 degree climb where she quickly climbs almost out of sight. The thing that really pleases me is that she flies exactly like my 80 inch, OS 61 powered deHavilland Hornet twin engine fighter that I've been flying since 1983. The new Li-Poly battery chemistry that has just come into R/C use is what gives us this capability, especially the long flight time.

Oops, thought I could attach some in-flt pics but couldn't figure out how.

Best regards,

Dan Parsons