Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Don SMith's Tucano

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Don SMith's Tucano

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 11:03 PM
Bulldogflyer
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don SMith's Tucano

Has anyone out there built and flown one of these?I've had my on it for awhile and would like some input before I try it.thanks
Old 06-06-2003, 08:01 PM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

Default Tucano

I've been wanting to build one for years. I've seen the full scale one perform from the Brazilian airshow team at Lakeland Sun-N-Fun, it did one of the most controlled lamcevaks I have ever seen (tumbled the plane end over end then caught it on the rudder and rode it out back to leveled flight). Built light with a 3.2 gas burner in it, this plane would be great to fly.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:56 AM
VoughtF4U
My Feedback: (1)

Default Tucano

I got the plans for this one this Christmas. I have looked them over pretty well and have a few comments. These are just my opinion, so take them how you want.

The plans look great. The plane looks very easy to build if you compare them to some of the other designers I have seen out there. Wing construction is pretty much standard and will go together very quickly. Fuselage construction is about the same and will go quickly.

Cockpit in this one is huge so it almost forces you to add a full cockpit detail otherswise you end up with a lot of obvious dead space.

The nose section will be pretty tight. You have an awful lot of stuff jammed into a small space. If you go with a full cockpit, you have to get the fuel tank, engine and nose retract into only a couple of inches. Not super tight, but you should do some trial fitting of your engine and muffler with the retract installed before you really commit to anything.

The tail is pretty long, so you have lots of room to move some servos around to balance the CG no matter how light or how heavy your engine is. Engine selection for me has been a bear. I can't decide if I want to go with a 40cc gas engine or a 50cc gasser. Seems like a 50 would be a little on the heavy side and a lot of power. The 40 would be better weight wise, but maybe a tad shy on the power. Other problem is the cowl is pretty tight, so the 50cc motor will require some hacking on the cowl. Depending on how your engine mounts the carb and the muffler, you may end up destroying the clean lines of the plane.

The wing area lends itself to the 40cc gasser more than it does the 50cc. I am half tempted to spend a little extra cash and blow up the plans a couple of inches, but then finding a cowl and canopy become a problem.

All in all I can't wait to build it. I have heard the Tucano flys a lot like a pattern plane due to its moments and layout. Good luck if you decide to build one.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:31 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with VoughtF4U, I think it would be a wonderful a/c to fly. It's moments make it apealing, as well as the trike gear. I had a set of plans for this but recently sold them along with the parts. A couple issues I had was that one, it would be almost impossible to hide an engine in that small nose. The reason being is the nose wheel gets in the way. The plan is drawn with the nose wheel back 1" from the scale location to help, but I think the engine still had to be rotated....this was with the thought of using a Moki 1.8. The full size aircraft flown by the Brazilian demonstration team (Smoke Squadron) is gorgeous in the air and begs to be modelled....with a smoke system of course. Best of luck!!
Old 06-09-2003, 04:13 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

I had a 72 inch D&L Aero glass and foam core Tucano. The kit was discontinued. Crashed and burned on it's first landing. On the approach when it was about twenty feet in the air it went into a violent tip stall. The plane was coming in at about 30 mph. The fuse was destroyed. The reason I think it went in was because it was a bit on the heavy side. It weighed 15 pounds. The wing chord on the Tucano is not very wide so the wing area is small. It did fly like a pattern ship and was very fast. I have been looking into getting an 100" Tucano from A.R.D. Models.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:57 AM
viet-grunt
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Don SMith's Tucano

I have a 1/5 size PC9 it 84 " and has a ST3000 in it with a macs tune pipe going down inside the fuselage the aircraft flies beautiful and with plenty of authority as the PC9 and Tucano have very close the same flying habits so i got the don Smith Tucano plans. Barry
Old 09-18-2009, 03:34 AM
tenglish
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Tucano

I have started to build this Tucano and is going together very well.
Ony gripe I have at this time is installing an engine without ruining the nose/cowl section. I am considering usingthe MVVS 40.
If anyone has built this plane I would be greatful for advice and/or photos.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:47 PM
DLEVETT
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Tucano

I,d love to see some pics of your build.
I have always liked the Tucano but have never got around to ordering the plans.

Dave
Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 PM
rcyogi

I know this is an ald tred, but any pictures of this plane?

Thanks,

Pisandro
Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 PM
LAWNDART65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is one