Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 150 Size P-51

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Hangar 9 150 Size P-51

Old 01-08-2004, 10:28 PM
LBECKWITH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 150 Size P-51

retract servo problems. I am using the suggested Hitec HS-75BB retract servo's and they are failing. I have now had 3 of them fail in total on my H9 P-51, 1.50 size. I am using a 6v NiMH battery and have them Y-harnessed on channel 5. I am using the Frank Tiano retracts with no binding of any kind. They are so easy to cycle requiring almost no torque. Any one got any suggestions?? Am I doing something wrong?? Help
Old 01-09-2004, 08:51 PM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Hi Guy's, I am thinking about getting the 150 P51 I have read through this whole thread and it looks as if its a good performing plane . I am going to replace the retracts right off without buying two retract servos. I am going to pick up the CJM retracts unless there is a better set out for the plane and any ideas would be appreciated. I will strengthen the retract ribs and rails as shown in the early part of this post. I am considering about airbrushing some trim on the plane and maybe change the scheme a bit of the plane.

For power I am considering the Moki 180 I dont think that the Saito 180 will make as much power as the Moki and I really cant spend the money for the Saito V Twin as much as I would love to or the YS 140 is out as well. So I dont know what else would be comparable. All you guys running the Moki 180 are you happy with the power? And which muffler would you recommend I did see a couple of postings where guys where running the Moki 210 but they had to mod the engine compartment some. So all you that have been flying the plane can you give me some recommendations please I would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks Much Viper
Old 01-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Viper21,

It may be to your benefit that I am extremely slow, IE: Witness the date on my first reply to this thread. Actually, I put the P-51 aside to work on other projects, and just now getting back around to working on it.

Right after I purchased the P-51 I decided the stock gear would have to go. I made a trip to CJM and had Bruce come up with a set of retracts that would basically drop in with little mods. The retracts will drop in with minor trimming of the sheeting and some doctoring of the fiberglass wheel well liner. However, the retract strut/wheel will not fully retract into the wheel well without lowering the rails, hence, you will not be able to install the doors and have them lay flush to the wing. I think you will also find this on any other retract other than the stock units. The retract rails are simply not deep enough.

IMHO, the only way to do it right is to extract the existing rails and start from scratch. Attached are a few pics of the process.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13538.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	89470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72299.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	89471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55735.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	89472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc86070.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	89473  
Old 01-11-2004, 02:31 AM
Countryboy

A few more pics showing one wing with retract mod complete.

Name:	Ax73081.jpg
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	89481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41710.jpg
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	89482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl21319.jpg
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	89483  
Old 01-11-2004, 04:31 PM
viper21

Hi Countryboy, thanks for the help but I cannot see your pictures at all. Is anyone else having this trouble with the pictures they dont show up just the little red X in the white box?

Also will the Moki 180 fly this plane well or is it underpowered?
Thanks Viper
Old 01-11-2004, 07:20 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Viper,

The Saito 180 is more than enough power for this plane. I fly mine with one, and I take off at 3/4 throttle and fly at 1/2 throttle. The sound is great. Mine is even heavier than stock since i put in a full depth cockpit and the heavy Blue Box pilot. At full power, there is a lot of vertical power for VERY big loops and other vertical maneuvers.

I use the Frank Tiano retracts . They work great, and I am using standard servos to operate them. It is sooo nice not having to worry about air leaks and bringing a pump. The mechanicals will cycle all day long with no worries.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:33 PM
viper21

Thanks for the pictures Countryboy so the CJM retracts are not totally drop in replacements. Is there a chance the newer versions might require less modifications? I will need to email but if not I will follow your pictures I apprecaite the help it saved me hours of head scratching I am sure.
Thanks Viper.

John, thank you for letting me know about the Saito 180 as I would rather have a four stroke nothing beats the sound.
Thanks Viper

Could you guys let me know where I can get the best deal on the airplane? I will buy the retracts direct from CJM.
Thanks Guys I appreciate the information.
Viper
Old 01-11-2004, 10:03 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Sure glad this p-51 post is still alive. Some of us are just slow builders.
Thanks Countryboy for your pictures. I thought about tearing into the wing to redo the retract rails, but thought I would wait for a rough landing to do the job. I have the CJM gear, but cut the existing hardwood down one eigth inch and added a one half inch ply underneath. Didn't like to bevel my ply to match Hanger 9's triangle stock. Bought some #6X1" wood screws to mount the gear. Went to Home Depot store and found some copper 3/8 U clamps to mount my gear doors to gear. I have some silver GE silicone glue that I am going to try????

On rest of my P-51 I removed the wire control tubes and put in Sullivan 4-40 Precision Rods. I just never did like running music wire for controls. I don't think the Precision Rods will have a temperature problem. I like my radio antennas inside.
I joined the two elevator halves and used one JR4721. On the rudder I have a JR JR4735 and a JR900 Gyro. I used the "extra hole" for my retract servo valve. I turned one of the flap servo's inward so I don't have to mix another channel on my JR 10.

I have a couple of Mokie 1.8's but don't like to start them upside down. I am using a Saito 1.8 motor. Not sure what size prop to use??

Keep this thread going.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Countryboy

ORIGINAL: viper21

Thanks for the pictures Countryboy so the CJM retracts are not totally drop in replacements. Is there a chance the newer versions might require less modifications? I will need to email but if not I will follow your pictures I apprecaite the help it saved me hours of head scratching I am sure.
Thanks Viper.

John, thank you for letting me know about the Saito 180 as I would rather have a four stroke nothing beats the sound.
Thanks Viper

Could you guys let me know where I can get the best deal on the airplane? I will buy the retracts direct from CJM.
Thanks Guys I appreciate the information.
Viper
Viper,

If you decide to go with the CJM gear, they will be the exact same one's that I have. So in answer to your question, yes, the same modification's will need to be done.... if you want the wheel completely in the wheel well

As John C. said, the Saito 180 is an excellent choice for this airplane.

My LHS has one in stock and the owner has good prices. I can check on the price if you like.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:04 PM
viper21

Thanks Countryboy, I will save your pictures for future reference unless you can send the larger files to me. I sent you an email if you could email me the larger pictures I would appreciate it.
Thanks Viper
Old 01-12-2004, 12:51 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: John Christensen

Viper,

The Saito 180 is more than enough power for this plane. I fly mine with one, and I take off at 3/4 throttle and fly at 1/2 throttle. The sound is great. Mine is even heavier than stock since i put in a full depth cockpit and the heavy Blue Box pilot. At full power, there is a lot of vertical power for VERY big loops and other vertical maneuvers.

I use the Frank Tiano retracts . They work great, and I am using standard servos to operate them. It is sooo nice not having to worry about air leaks and bringing a pump. The mechanicals will cycle all day long with no worries.
John,

Did you make your own cockpit, or does someone produce a kit for one that will fit this plane.

Also, for those getting the CJM retracts.

My wife got them for me for christmas (woo hoo). If you order them, specify a larger air tank. The one they included with mine is...well...let's just say I didn't know that air tanks came in such a small size.
Old 01-14-2004, 03:28 PM
-JC-

P-51B

I used the Top Flite 1/5 scale cockpit for the H9 Mustang, it needs a little trimming, but it will make a good fit.

JC
Old 01-14-2004, 04:41 PM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Viper21,

If you want to deal with a reputable seller...

Chief Aircraft was selling these @ $425.00 Shipped. Go to the R/C Aircraft link on their Website and then click on the button "Email Specials". An email will come to you instantaneously.

Oriole
Old 01-14-2004, 05:14 PM
viper21

Hi Oriole, thanks for the tip but I cant bring up Chiefs website it seems to be down ATM. I will try again later and thanks that is a good price for the airplane.

Now I am deciding on which engine to buy a Saito 180 or a Moki 180? Can some of you guys flying the Mustang tell me which engine your using and how you like it? John C told me the plane fly's great on the Saito 180 so I am leaning towards it because I like four strokes but how much more power is the Moki?
Thanks Again Viper
Old 01-14-2004, 05:35 PM
viper21

Well I got the website to load alright, minor technical glitch. But I clicked on the "Email Specials" and the price for the plane was 499:99 Oriole? Is there a part of the site that I am missing this was in the RC site? 425:00 shipped is a real good price but I cant find it on the site. However I noticed that Cajon Grafix is doing an alternate graphics package for the plane. On one of the photos I noticed a Walbro carb peaking out of the cowl and an inverted pitts muffler. Does anyone know which gas engine was installed in that P51? I attached a picture of it from the site.
Thanks Viper
Attached Images  
Old 01-14-2004, 10:37 PM
viper21

Well, I was lucky enough to find a P51 for a very good price thanks to Countryboy he helped me out by helping me with the transaction.
Thanks CB.

I just have some questions and I didnt think I should start a new thread for them I will have been reading through the thread but I didnt find this. I need a 5 inch aluminum spinner for the plane, can you guys tell me which spinner is the best? I was going to get a Tru Turn or a Dave Brown but I dont know what size cuts to have made in the spinner for an APC 15 inch prop does anyone know? I will be using a Saito 180 so I am guessing an APC 15x8 would be the correct prop for the plane so I need to know what size cut to ask for?

MX420, how flexible do the Ny Rods need to be for the elevator and rudder? Because I will use the 4/40 rods also but I will use either the semi flexible or the black C/F rods in the white tubes?
Thanks Viper
Old 01-15-2004, 02:14 AM
viper21

Well guys, I am starting to feel like I am writing to myself here. I have some questions please? I see that all the major retract makers now are selling retracts or retract kits for the 150 size P51. Can a couple of you guys let me know what your using and which retracts and struts are holding up best please? Also do I really need to spend 160:00+ dollars for a spinner for my Mustang,I checked Tru Turn and thats how much they want[]
I am getting a new Saito 180 for the plane and already have an electronic onboard glow system for it so thats covered. I will probably have my plane in about 2 weeks or so and my engine next month so I just need a spinner and retracts so any info or help would be great.
Thanks Guys I do Appreciate the help
Viper
Old 01-15-2004, 05:40 AM
Countryboy

Well, I was lucky enough to find a P51 for a very good price thanks to Countryboy he helped me out by helping me with the transaction.
Thanks CB.

I just have some questions and I didnt think I should start a new thread for them I will have been reading through the thread but I didnt find this. I need a 5 inch aluminum spinner for the plane, can you guys tell me which spinner is the best? I was going to get a Tru Turn or a Dave Brown but I dont know what size cuts to have made in the spinner for an APC 15 inch prop does anyone know? I will be using a Saito 180 so I am guessing an APC 15x8 would be the correct prop for the plane so I need to know what size cut to ask for?

MX420, how flexible do the Ny Rods need to be for the elevator and rudder? Because I will use the 4/40 rods also but I will use either the semi flexible or the black C/F rods in the white tubes?
Thanks Viper
Viper21,

Follow this link. It may help in answer to your spinner question's.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/How_...1426106/tm.htm

Here is also a link to a prop size guide chart.
http://www.bluemaxrc.com/saito_prop.html

I think a 15x8 is small for the Saito 180. These engines have tremendous torque... so you should make use of it. Follow the break in procedure that comes with your Saito to the tee, and you will have one great running engine.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:24 AM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: John Christensen

P-51B

I used the Top Flite 1/5 scale cockpit for the H9 Mustang, it needs a little trimming, but it will make a good fit.

JC
Thanks for the reply, I think I may have one of those laying around to use!
Old 01-15-2004, 08:28 AM
P-51B

I was going to get a Tru Turn or a Dave Brown but I dont know what size cuts to have made in the spinner for an APC 15 inch prop does anyone know? I will be using a Saito 180 so I am guessing an APC 15x8 would be the correct prop for the plane so I need to know what size cut to ask for?

Thanks Viper
Aan APC 15x8 is too small for the Saito 1.80. A prop in the 17-18" range will be what you need. Mine isn't fully broken in yet and it turns a Pro-zinger 18x6 between 8600-9000 rpm. Guys using the APC seem to really like the 17x6. I have been told that the best prop for this engine is the Mejzlik 18x6, but haven't been able to get a hold of one to try it.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

As i posted early in this thread mine has a Moki 1.80 with 18x10 prop and spring air retracts and struts. This combo has worked so well i am now doing another one the same way for a friend. You just ought to see it fly!

Name:	Ca80772.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	90756  
Old 01-15-2004, 12:07 PM
-JC-

Viper,

I am using a Dave Brown spinner on mine and an APC 16X8 prop and it works fine. The spinner accepts that prop with no cutting. But, the Tru Turn will also be a great buy. More $$$$ than the DB, but it's the Rolls Royce of spinners. You get what you pay for.

The Saito fits under the cowl with only a little bit of the valve covers sticking out underneath. You don't notice the cut outs when the plane sits on the ground. The muffler fits perfectly inside the cowl. (Probably because the plane was designe for this engine :-) I run all my Saito and OS fourstrokes on 30% coolpower helicopter fuel. Even mounted inverted, the engine has an incredible low idle (no onboard glow needed)
To balance the Stang, about 6 oz of sticky back lead was needed in the nose. This was mainly due to the heavier cockpit and pilot I installed.

Mounting struts takes a bit of work in order to fit the retract doors. I just used the struts the Tiano retracts came with. They are strong, and with the doors mounted to them, the plane looks great. I decided it was too much work to reposition the retracts in order to use scale struts. And, like I said in the earlier post, the mechanical retracts from FTE are nice because you don't ever have to worry about air. They just work all the time. I use a 9Z radio that has a "servo slow" function. That way I can get the retracts to slowly retract and extend in a scale speed.

My stang has standard ball bearing Futaba servos on all controls.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:59 PM
viper21

Guy's, thanks for all your responses I really appreciate the help. I am going to get the Dave Brown spinner just because I find it a little tough to pay 180+ for a spinner and I am sure its beautiful but the DB will work just fine and I will call them to order so I can get the correct cut for the APC props and whatever other props I intend to use. CB thanks again for the help and John C I appreciate the help with spinner choice, did you need a special cut for the APC props I plan to start with what Saito recommends I am guessing a 17 inch prop. I am actually getting two DB spinners as I am building an original EZ ARF Dago Red right now and I need a polished spinner for it but its a 3.5 inch.

I had thought about having some different graphics made for the plane but I really dont want to recover it. Besides I figure next winter I will strip all the Ultracote and glass and paint the plane in another scheme
That would be pretty cool I think
Well I will keep you guys updated I will probably order the retracts from CJ as I hear they are on backorder so I want to get on the list I will email and find out. They are making me a set of struts for the Supra Mechanicals that are for my Dago Red. JC I have the same function with my Stylus I can slow the retract servo down and set end points so I will use it on the Dago.
Mustang Fever only one plane I really like more and its my Avatar.
Thanks Guy's Viper
Old 01-15-2004, 03:59 PM
oriole
My Feedback: (19)

Viper21,

Ignore the $499 price.

Put your email address in the box right underneath

"Request Chief's Monthly Specials"

Click "Send it to me" button

They will send you an email with a list of products with special pricing. As of last week the email special included this plane @ $425 shipped. Also Saito 1.8 @ $355 shipped.

Oriole
Old 01-15-2004, 07:43 PM
marcel1941

hey guys I got a H9 P51 a while back and im wanting to use gas eng but I want it to be inside the cowl completely I was thinking of the ZDZ40 but after measuring the head would stick out im now thinking of the RCS180F or the new 2.15MVVS.Is there anyone out there with these combos im going to keep it as light as possible with Tianio retracts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.