Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 08:59 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: BUMP

Bottom line: There are issues with both sets of rotating retracts (Robart 615s and CenturyJet), and many of us are looking for something better, which is why we paid our deposit and are anxiously awaiting for Darrell's new offering.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:23 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also they only rotate 90 deg so while mounting you have to choose between having the wheels forward enough to prevent nose over OR having the wheels completely retracted into the wing. Pete
This is actually one of the things I don't like about the Robarts, the large retracts and the small ones. The full scale Corsair didn't have the gear bent forward, I don't like how the Corsair sits this way. I can see if you fly off grass why you would want the gear angled forward but it looks bad, kind of like it's squatting on the ground. Having the wing at 0 degrees incidence make it worse though... in my honorable opinion!

Luke
Old 11-26-2003, 09:40 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Full scales also have the struts exiting very close to the leading edge, something which seems difficult to engineer into such small models. By having the retracts angeled forward, the wheels end up in about the same location (as full scale), and with RoboStruts added, they are able to better absorb the bumps. And as for grass runways: I'll bet the vast majority of club fields here in the U.S. do not have a paved runway. I know that very few in the Michigan/ Indiana/ Kentucky area have them.
We can't have it all in R/C models: pure scale looks AND reliable, good functioning retracts. Compromise is needed. Another area that is nearly impossible to duplicate the full scale on is the oil cooler inlets: they should be recessed back from the leading edge about 1/4" on 1/8 scale Corsairs. But because we are not able to design a small scale leading edge spar with strength to help support the landing gear AND have scale recess, most models do not have any recess.
Drawing is scale view of top of wing at root.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89274.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	77644  
Old 11-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dionysusbacchus

Also they only rotate 90 deg so while mounting you have to choose between having the wheels forward enough to prevent nose over OR having the wheels completely retracted into the wing. Pete
This is actually one of the things I don't like about the Robarts, the large retracts and the small ones. The full scale Corsair didn't have the gear bent forward, I don't like how the Corsair sits this way. I can see if you fly off grass why you would want the gear angled forward but it looks bad, kind of like it's squatting on the ground. Having the wing at 0 degrees incidence make it worse though... in my honorable opinion!

Luke

Luke,
I'm flying off grass so I was really paying attention to where those wheels come down. After looking at alot of photos the gear are located close to the leading edge. I have my CJ's up foward as humanly possible and with the 2deg pos incidence I put into the wing she sat well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Sierra gear will drop in and not require a big rework of the mount area. Pete
Old 11-26-2003, 12:43 PM
dionysusbacchus

Full scales also have the struts exiting very close to the leading edge, something which seems difficult to engineer into such small models. By having the retracts angeled forward, the wheels end up in about the same location (as full scale), and with RoboStruts added, they are able to better absorb the bumps. We can't have it all in R/C models: pure scale looks AND reliable, good functioning retracts.
Yes I understand mass marketing principals, but I believe a custom set could be made. An exact set was made in the mid 80's for Garland Hamilton and his... I think 72" Corsair. I still think it looks better to have them at 90 degrees than to have them angled forward. I have used and still have my Rom rotators, the Royal plan shows their installation in the first picture. They must be close to a half inch back from full scale!

Compromise is needed. Another area that is nearly impossible to duplicate the full scale on is the oil cooler inlets:
May be "impossible" for the TF but not the Royal/Marutaka! I can't say for sure though because I have never built the gold edition Corsair and I built the old red box one so long ago I can't remember! Picture #2 shows the Royal plans, as you can see it clearly tells you how to sand the leading edge. I had a brain fart in this area and didn't do a good enough job, but on the next one I'll fix that! For the next one I am going to make W-30A and the W-18's all one piece of 1/8" ply, then I can cut a hole in the intake area and make it reaccessed into the wing.

Luke

Name:	Wu59793.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	77674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54361.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	77675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41829.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	77676  
Old 11-26-2003, 12:49 PM
dionysusbacchus

Yea Pete, don't want to have to rip that wing up! I'll just wait and see, what is available is adequate for me in this scale but I'm still curious as to what they will look like.

Luke
Old 11-27-2003, 11:57 PM
US185Damiani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Update

So any fresh word on this subject?
Old 11-30-2003, 04:39 PM
voyager_663rd

BUMP
Old 12-02-2003, 01:06 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Snow is falling . . . . Corsair still not built .. . . . . Will Xmas come this year???

Mid September was a looooong time ago now. . . .
[&o]

Mark
Old 12-02-2003, 08:51 PM
WarbirdAirRacer
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All this time has passed and still nothing from Darrell....well anyway I'm glad I've long sold my P-40 kit....[&o] any dibs on if anyone will see pics before Xmas[&o]
Old 12-02-2003, 09:08 PM
BigRetracts
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry for the long delay. I have attached a photo of the prototype. As far as a delivery schedule, I would like to start shipping them before Christmas, but have had several problems with things not related to the corsair/P40 gear, but it still has affected the time I have been able to spendworking on them. We have been very busy with many of our other Larger Stock Gear and have we spent time trying to actually get something shipped. I will try to update everyone on a firm delivery schedule as soon as I finish up on the last few parts. As before, if you cannot wait, and would like your deposit refunded, please let me know and I will do so as soon as possible. This has been a bigger project than I had previously thought. But it will be worth it after it is completed. Thanks for your patience.

Darrell
Sierra Giant Scale

Name:	Zx72264.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	79205  
Old 12-02-2003, 09:09 PM
Glorystomper

Ha hah!

I have kidnapped Darrell and dragged him up here to Canada where he is now currently in my shoddily built "sweatshop" cranking out custom Sierra Precision retracts for me!!!

I'm gonna corner the market on these babies
Old 12-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: BigRetracts

Sorry for the long delay. I have attached a photo of the prototype. As far as a delivery schedule, I would like to start shipping them before Christmas, but have had several problems with things not related to the corsair/P40 gear, but it still has affected the time I have been able to spendworking on them. We have been very busy with many of our other Larger Stock Gear and have we spent time trying to actually get something shipped. I will try to update everyone on a firm delivery schedule as soon as I finish up on the last few parts. As before, if you cannot wait, and would like your deposit refunded, please let me know and I will do so as soon as possible. This has been a bigger project than I had previously thought. But it will be worth it after it is completed. Thanks for your patience.

Darrell
Sierra Giant Scale

Way to go Darrell. I for one greatly appreciate your hard work on this project and shared that when we spoke a few weeks ago. The prototype looks super. Thanks, Pete
Old 12-02-2003, 09:58 PM
JAkridge

Damm, Those are sweet looking by the Pics.

Sure hope they fit the New H-9. I'll be gettin a set...
Old 12-02-2003, 10:00 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

[X(][X(][X(]

I'm eatin' crow tonight!!! That is a beautiful site. That's all I needed to see and hear (read). Darrell they look great, how did your test sessions go? Did you have a plane built to try them out with? I thought I read that in an earlier post.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 12-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Just Plane Nuts

Looks great I am looking forward to getting my hands on a set....
Old 12-02-2003, 11:16 PM
US185Damiani

Oh Yeah Darrell they look fantastic!
I might retrofit them into my P-40 and trash my Robarts! LOL
thanks for the hard work!
Old 12-02-2003, 11:18 PM
voyager_663rd

They do look nice.

Is it too early in the game to ask if they will be sold as part of a complete package? tank, hoses, etc?

or will they be sold "by themselves" and the rest of the stuff purchased separately?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:01 AM
Maiden Voyage

Darrell:
Thanks for the update! We do appreciate the info and the pics.

Voyager:
In the first couple of pages of this thread it states this is just the retracts, no tank, no control valves. However, any manufactures tank set up should work, I plan on using a Robart tank and control valve on mine.

Maiden Voyage
Old 12-03-2003, 10:53 AM
voyager_663rd

FIrst timer here. I'll start a new thread.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:26 PM
Glorystomper

Wow, finally a teaser pic! Looks amazing, Darrell..

Now I'm dreading how much I'll have to pay Customs when those things come across the border
Old 12-03-2003, 05:50 PM
strnglvr

Hey Glorystomper, You can have them shipped to my house, then drive down and pick them up,...........Paul
Old 12-03-2003, 09:13 PM
Glorystomper

Oklahoma! That'd be a fun drive
Old 12-04-2003, 02:39 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So what's the status on these retracts? I'm looking for a set for the 64.5" span Brian Taylor Hellcat.

BTW, Century Jet rotating retracts are NOT 90° like most people have stated. The picture below clearly shows the retract angle to be greater than 90°:

Old 12-04-2003, 08:27 AM
ngr1
My Feedback: (2)

Default How is the gear rotating?

Hello, does anyone know how the rotation is being accomplished?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.