Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 03:03 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I GIVE UP

Are you guys who asked for the refund getting them? Or is it a "Fusco-esque" hassle?

Don
Old 01-23-2004, 03:16 PM
WarpdSpazm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ATTENTION: All Top Flite Corsair, P-40, ROBART 615 & CJM Retract Owners !PLEASE READ!

After the time and effort (and money) put into R&D at this point, he'd be taking a loss if he just dropped the project... He'll finish them. Later than most would like but they'll be done... and the thing to think about is how long can you wait and will be sorryif you didn't when they come out, assuming they are typical Darryll quality. I'm a bit away from that point in my H-9 project, So I'll be waiting to the endth minute to decide Sierra or CJM. FOr those that are waiting on gear so they can go fly... it's a different story...
Old 01-23-2004, 03:17 PM
WarpdSpazm

ORIGINAL: hattend

Are you guys who asked for the refund getting them? Or is it a "Fusco-esque" hassle?

Don
Stupid question... what's

Fusco or "Fusco-esque" about
Old 01-23-2004, 03:37 PM
hattend

Pull up a chair, grab a beverage and popcorn and read the incredible saga

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_717531/mpage_1/key_fusco/anchor/tm.htm#717531]Here[/link]
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_908402/mpage_1/key_fusco/anchor/tm.htm#908402]Here[/link]
and
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1060295/mpage_1/key_fusco/anchor/tm.htm#1060295]Here[/link]

Don

ORIGINAL: WarpdSpazm

Stupid question... what's Fusco or "Fusco-esque" about
Old 01-23-2004, 04:11 PM
strnglvr
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guy's, Guess i'm in a different boat then a lot of you guy's, I've building and flying since 1978, i got about a dozen planes ready to fly at any given time, and other hobbies i bounce back and forth, been working on my 69 grand prix, and thats where i can wait darrell out, i lack about half the interior, did just tag it today so will get to see how she handles, and a 67 riviera with 65000 miles next in line, and a pica duelist (bashed) on the building table, i have robart retracts in my p-40 and corsair, i'm at my witts end with there rotating gear, Darrell, Put me out a good set of gear PLEASE, ...........................Just hope to get a set before i retire,....Paul
Old 01-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

I guess you just got to have FAITH. Mine ran out.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: BUMP

here is a pic of a retract that came out of a sadly departed scratch built corsair of about 86" span. The retracts were also built by the builder of the plane. By the way he did custom retracts in Australia for many years but no longer does this.

Have a look at his simple and VERY ruggeded design. It is a 90degree style.

oh yeah pilot is from Petes pilots in the UK and is intended for my TF GS Corsair when I get the time to build it

cheers
Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70885.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	93487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30219.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	93488  
Old 01-23-2004, 08:32 PM
Just Plane Nuts

I have had my deposit in since the beginning as well and would also like to get my gear. But for me it is also not a rush. I have several other planes to build and plan to wait for a reliable set of retracts for my TF P-40. I have heard to many stories about failures on Robarts and CJM's. I am going to put a great deal of time and money in to this plane and don't want to risk damaging it with weak retracts.
Dale
Old 01-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

I'd also like a set of these retracts as I have a Tf P40 and had a few probs with the 615s though after a few mods have been able to use them ok.

Still when there is a reliable delivery schedule set up for the sierra units I will order a set. Untill then my money stays in my pocket

I'm in no hurry as I have to build a new wing anyway

Sooo when and if these sierra units go into production and delivery lead times are reasonable I'll order and fit them

i have to say this. I work in a customer service industry - airlines and the one thing that really pisses people off is lack of communication.

A weekly update on progress good or bad plus replying to people is not just good cutmer relations it is polite! Besides a few emails or a quick post takes bugger all time.

cheers from downunder
Peter
Old 01-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Glorystomper

Default RE: RE: I GIVE UP

Wonderful.. now I'm worried about getting "Fusco-ed" on this deal.

I'm still waiting patiently and checking back every so often, but has anyone had problems with getting a refund? Like everyone else, I'd feel more secure about my deposit if we had more updates and communication from big D.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:29 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On 1/12/04, I sent e-mail to Darrell requesting refund (for reasons which by now, should be obvious).
As of 1/24/04, I have not received a reply.
At a time when I am migrating towards larger warbirds, you can all rest assured that I will NEVER be ordering retracts from Sierra.
He has recieved over $2,000 in deposits, and had orders totalling up to over $5,000.
This is no way to run a business.
Broken promises.
Lack of communications.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

corsair jock thats why I sat back and watched as my little alrm bell was ringing ovetime.

My money stays in my pocket on this one.

Say what you like about the robarts at least when you order a set you know they will be there waiting for you in under 2 weeks from order placement - and that is to Oz!!

cheers
Peter
Old 01-24-2004, 08:59 PM
BigRetracts

Default Reponse from Sierra

Hello everyone that is watching and waiting for rotating gear for the TF corsair and P-40.

To answer some of your questions and update you on our progress.

I am the first to say that my communication has been un-acceptable. We have been very busy here
trying to fill too many orders. The reason for the slow progress and deliveries on the small rotating
gear is because of other orders that were either places before the deposits were accepted or for
orders that were places at the end of the year for our standard, on the shelf retracts.

If I get an order for a set of gear that I have built, or have almost ready, I have no choice but to fill
that order right then. Most of our standard gear are twice the cost of what the little TF rotating gear is
and I have all of the parts already made and paid for. We just have to put them together and ship them
out. It may not seem fair, but I don't get paid for development time, it has to come out of funds for
things that we actually sell.

We are through the Christmas rush at this time and are going to get back to finishing up on the TF rotating
gear. If someone wants to call it quits and get a refund, I completely understand.

As for the request for a refund that I did not see, it is because it was sent to an e-mail address that I don't
check. It was only used as a place to put the deposits in so not to confuse them with other orders. The money
is still in that account and has not been touched.

If you would like a refund, please send it to [email protected] and I will get to it in a few days. If not,
hang in their, we will be working on them again.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me by e-mail.

Thanks for your patience.

Darrell Tenny
Sierra Giant Scale
Old 01-25-2004, 09:45 AM
strnglvr

Default RE: Reponse from Sierra

Darrell, I'm in, 250.00 aint squat, I can fall down and break my leg and be out more than that, to hellcat716, Yes, I do have Great Faith, shortly there will be a Great set of the rotating gear on the market for our 60 size birds. and i understand the wait, and not being in the air, as to "fusco" thats not darrell, the ole saying is" if you want something done give the job to a busy man", will be glad when the jobs done,.......................Paul
Old 01-25-2004, 11:06 AM
av8r4aa
My Feedback: (82)

I say go for it.
Many years ago while attending A and P school
The old instructor said when everybody is crying
to get the plane /part ready tell them,
"when its ready I will call you"

Thats what I say about my 100.00 dollars.
Greg
Old 01-25-2004, 01:53 PM
hattend

ORIGINAL: strnglvr

Darrell, I'm in, 250.00 aint squat, I can fall down and break my leg and be out more than that, to hellcat716, Yes, I do have Great Faith, shortly there will be a Great set of the rotating gear on the market for our 60 size birds. and i understand the wait, and not being in the air, as to "fusco" thats not darrell, the ole saying is" if you want something done give the job to a busy man", will be glad when the jobs done,.......................Paul
The only reason I injected Fusco into this was that I have already been through this before with the vendor refusing to give updates (or in the case of Val'a Fusco, lying...read the threads).

Hope you can understand why I'm a little frustrated. I paid via PayPal on this deal, not my credit card and I've heard horror stories about trying to get money back from PayPal. I don't need the retracts yet so I'll give Darrell a bit more time.

Don
Old 01-25-2004, 03:45 PM
strnglvr

Well, i might be singing a different tune if i wasn't into finishing up this grand prix, when i have had my TF P-40 up the air on the first flight, and time to bring her in hit the gear down, and watched the right strut and fall out, close enough to go get it, but how to get it back in the plane, belly in first landing, and trouble there after with the robart gear, just to hit and miss....anyway got to cruise around yesterday in my 69 GP. little more on interior and it'll be on to the next project,........anyway i guess we will all wait and see,........Paul
Old 01-25-2004, 03:52 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

You folks have to understand in Las Vegas we have the ability to fly every day of the year with are great weather. I have the Hangar 9 corsair ARF. I do not have alot of money invested in this model so I don't need to wait any longer for the sierria gear. I have been waiting for several months and feel with the lack of communication from sierria that it was time to move on. There is no gurantee if that gear will even fit this corsair so why not go with the gear designed for this model. I have had century jet gear before and they have worked fine. If I had built this model as a kit and had invested huge dollars than I might have waited longer. You guys will be waiting till spring if you are lucky. I suppose most of you people won't fly till then anyway because of the cold weather where you live. If you had a model like mine ready to go and it was beautiful outside you would want to get it in the air as soon as possible. Good luck on your wait while I will be flying.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:31 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all about choice. Some of us will choose to wait for these gear despite the POOR communication and long delay on the hope that Sierra will turn out something better.

Some of us like me will choose NOT to reward Sierra with our hard earned dollars when we've been neglected in favor of his "Big Gear" customers. It's really rude and poor form to have not been posting to this thread on a regular basis. Darrell told me several times he would update us here and when he didn't that's when I bailed feeling like I've been lied to. I like others are slowly moving up to larger planes and will also NOT be using Sierra.

Pete
Old 01-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Maiden Voyage

The last time (in December) Darrell responded was I'm sure due in part to the very explicit E-mail I sent him about reputation, actions, promises and possible refunds. At least I think that is why he bothered to post since his post addressed all the issues in the email and his post was only 10 hours after my email. Since then I have been watching and waiting to see if it was just a half hearted attempt to appease the masses. Well it looks like Darrell is not the least bit sincere when it come to customer service. It is only after the requests for refunds started to roll in did he bother to post anything again, and then, once again it was full of excuses of why our orders don't mean crap.

At this point I can afford to wait and will for a while yet, but one thing is for sure, regardless of the quality, due to his lack of customer service this is the LAST order Sierra will get from me! And I will not recommend them to anyone in the future.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:54 AM
strnglvr

Well, if i remember correctly, The masses, were very tired of what there choices for the 60 size rotating gear, and darrell had agreed to try and design a decent set, i have 8 yrs. expr. running cnc lathes, if i had my own lathe and mill, my dad has 30 yrs. in tool and dye, i would have givin dear ole dad a call and made my own, darrell took on a daunting task. with the bigger birds weight not as big an issue, as with 60 size, it is a balancing act that he may or may not be able to do, and still have a dependable and strong gear, some designs can only be scaled back so far before new weak spots will develope, you have to look at new metal's, heat treating and soforth,.....i guess what i'm saying is this was a project from the onset, i would offer my services to darrell for free, even if it was just shipping and packing, i guess this is the same kind of project that i would like to take on, i know it can be done, tired of torn up warbirds all due to retract failure,....................Paul
Old 01-26-2004, 11:04 AM
YAT-28E

See post 267!!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:45 AM
voyager_663rd

You know, I don't it was the "why is this taking so long" question (Beguine, you are looking like a crystal ball reader) so much as the non-communication.

We have ALL seen the prototype of the gear posted here. It is in process. Darrell didn't have to agree to the project. Yes he did accept $ as a normal business practise for a probably (initially anyway) small order.

If everyone wanted a refund, then he is STILL going to be out the development time and money he has put into this project. You can always go with the CJM. Maybe not as good as the sierra's MIGHT be. Won't know till they are in the public domain and get some real world experience.

In any case, I would hazard a guess that most who are reading this posting couldn't fly their bird anyways (winter being such a crappy time of year for those who aren't snow-minded--and wouldnt want to fly in the snow anyways) so why not wait a bit more.

Would you be happier if Darrell posted: still working on them folks. Need your hand held? Please, yes his PR dept needs some help. Someone out here who personally knows Darrell may volunteer to be his spokesman. Darrell could announce who that person might be. Darrell might personally comment from time to time. Maybe post a timetable. I don't know. I'm not a businessman. Just a customer waiting for a product that promises to be better than what just about everyone here acknowledges is not as good as what might be.

Patience may pay off. I'm not a crystal ball reader (like some eh Beguine).

My 2c.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Juice

A few months ago Darrell was our hero. He listened to us and he agreed to fill the market's demands for a good quality set of rotating retracts for small warbirds. This was good publicity for him back then. Now he's getting bad publicity from the people who can't wait for his retracts. It's okay if you can't wait. It's a totally acceptable reason to request a refund. Just let it be known that it is a issue of timing and lack of communication (which Rocketman612 and Hellcat716 already have). The fact still remains that we get only praises from Darrel's existing customers and the quality of his retracts are not the issue.

As of yet, I have not sent in my deposit. I was going to wait until my Robarts collapses (after my maiden flight this spring) before I send in my order to Sierra. But the way things are going, I am going to send in my deposit in now. It's my way of showing support for what Darrel is doing. The last thing we want him to do is to back out of this market because of this bad publicity. If that ever happened, we'll back where we started... no good rotating retracts available for small warbirds.

Juice
Old 01-26-2004, 02:15 PM
strnglvr

Juice, I could not agree more, I really love my P-40 in the air, and so does everyone else at the field, when i fire up either my P-40 or Corsair, everybody gets out of the air and watch's( don't know if it's my flying or if they just want to watch this bird fly) but it's just piss's me off to no end when i taxi out, start a take off roll and have a wheel turn 90 degree's and down on nose she goes, that's it! there grounded!.......I went and built another TF Corsair straight 4 channel, with plumming to drop in retracts, just so i can keep the edge of fly'n warbird's. darrell will get to this project and finish it up, but will be on his time table, i doubt that he is just setting back on his laurels, and i hope to God he just doesn't dump the whole project.............Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.