Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Any 60sz Hellcats out there!!!

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Any 60sz Hellcats out there!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Any 60sz Hellcats out there!!!

ORIGINAL: JohnMcGowan

Yeah MAN!! Im down for an Oscar and/or Tony build-a-long too Chad if you get that far<please>
Thanks,
John
Great John, that makes at least two of us! How many do we need for a "group build"?

Here is a sneak peak at the Hellcat plans for anyone interested.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:07 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just happened to have found my 1st ever scale project now here in the Market place forsale. It is the Old Jemco kit, funny how somethings come back from the past. i wsa just surprised to see it is still alive.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=534035
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Johnnie Red

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

The Jemco Hellcat is a 60 size plane. I had a OS 60 in mine when built. Here are pics of my Wing Hellcat and my

Well, I don't know what to say. Here is my Jemco Hellcat and it is a 40size...(wingspan less than 60"...)...
Is it possible that Jemco made 40size and 60size? I bought this from London (Hobby Stores Camden Lock shop...From Ali ..) 15 years ago!!!

PS To check the difference in scale by looking at the pilots (they are the same in both Jemco F6F and the 60size Hangar-9 Corsair...See the difference?)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96182.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1241081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23596.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1241082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39869.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	1241083  
Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Johnnie Red, yours looks good . Im pretty sure that the Jemco line of planes were the 40 size, Im not saying that you couldnt use a 60 engine in some of them though. The hanger-9 is a tad larger I believe.What engine do you have in your Jemco? How does she fly?
Ive got all the Jemco kits still in their boxes except the PT-19 and mustang, including 3 corsairs and 2 F6 hellcats, one zero and 2 P-47 jugs, and maybe one or two more Im forgetting. I'll get around to building them one day I guess .
John
Old 07-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Johnnie Red

Hey John,
Wow !!! What a Jemco fleet you got there!!!!
My Jemco Hellcat is powered with an old Irvine 40 and like most of the kits of these days is flying fast. The wing is foam and balsa, but the choosen airfoil is not forgiving. Nowdays airfoils (naca 24-12 and 24-14) would be a better match so if I had to built it again I would make a new foam wing with naca 24-12. It would give more room to a heavier structure (with better scale detail).
I have flown it also with 60 2stroke and a 72 2stroke. The Jemco Hellcat had an unlimited climb!! It went stratospheric!! Haha! But at the same time it went heavier and stalled in higher speeds...So I came back on the standard configuration of 40. 2 stroke. Landing is fast, elevator is very responsive, Ruder is the same, (if you put the tailwheel on the scale position the wheel is VERY responsive), the ailerons though are less responsive.
If I were in your shoes John, I would built it as light as possible otherwise the flight is sharp, fast and full of adrenaline!
Kind regards
J.R
Old 07-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

hey guys, all i am saying and from what i can remember, I put a 60 in mine about 15yrs ago. Here are the pics of it from here on RCU in the marketplace
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84879.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1241146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53848.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1241147   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26194.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1241148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24949.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1241149  
Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Johnnie Red

hey guys, all i am saying and from what i can remember, I put a 60 in mine about 15yrs ago. Here are the pics of it from here on RCU in the marketplace
Hey Ram-bro,

No offence pal. It is discontinued long time so I just wanted to be sure if they had also a 60 size (wingspan above 60")...
Yours looks very good!! (no matter the size!!)
You are quite a builder!!

J.R
Old 07-21-2009, 03:09 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Jemco Hellcat is a 60 size plane. I had a OS 60 in mine when built. Here are pics of my Wing Hellcat and my
With that line of reasoning, if you had put a .90 in it: would you call it a '90 size'?

I have a Jemco kit N.I.B. and it states on the box: "ENGINE .40 - .60 CU. IN."

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that the vast majority of people will consider it a '40 size' based on that statement, since most '60 size' aircraft have engine recommendations in the '.60 ~ .90' range. In other words: we tend to classify size of aircraft by the smallest engine size that is recommended by the maker.

BTW: it's wingspan is listed as 56", which further leads me to consider this as a '40 size' warbird, rather than '60 size.

Most will also opt for engines at the upper range of suggested (or higher yet), but they are still considered '40 size' when that's what the maker recommends at the lower engie of the recommended range.

BTW, I also have a Bob Holman kit, with 'glass fuselage, cowl, and canopy, and all ribs and formers cut (from a kit cutter) which I am considering putting up for sale. Too many kits, too little time, and need money. I have also decided that between the 2 (Jemco kit and Bob Holman kit): I would prefer keeping the Jemco one because I will eventually be flying from smaller areas, and thus want to transistion to '40 size' warbirds.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock
I would prefer keeping the Jemco one because I will eventually be flying from smaller areas, and thus want to transistion to '40 size' warbirds.
The Jemco kits are decent kits but they tend to build a bit heavy for their size. I would not make any bets on the Jemco being able to operate from a smaller field than the Brian Taylor airplane unless you make it considerably lighter than stock. (Which may be difficult given the way the kit is engineered)
Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 PM
tiger-moth

I've recently acquired an old Jemco Hellcat kit that is missing the plans/instructions.  Does anyone have a set they could sell/copy ?   Copying and postage costs met.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:30 AM
nickhuang

I know this thread is old, but I too like to see the ki43 Oscar.. especially the later version ie Ki43 III with the longer nose

Nick
Originally Posted by Chad Veich View Post
How about a 65" Ki-43 Oscar or a 71" Ki-61 Tony? I've just barely started the Ki-43 plans but the Ki-61 drawings are close to finished and I have flown the prototype.