Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

KMP Hurricane - maiden

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

KMP Hurricane - maiden

Old 06-17-2009, 10:35 AM
jmohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP Hurricane - maiden

Well I finally got a chance to do the first flight of my KMPHurricane. I was planning on putting a Saito 36 gas motor in the plane, but just couldn't get the motor to fit nicely. I ended up going electric with an Eflite Power 160 on two 5000 mah 6S packs. It took off at 1/2 trottle and flew great with almost no trim adjustment. I pulled the gear up and it ballooned up. I added some down elevator and it was fine again. It appears that the gear doors act like speed brakes when down. They are at a 45 degree angle to the wind and pull the nose down hard. I have to figure out some way to get them to turn when extended. Anyway, it flew awsome and was very fast and really didn't need more than 1/3 to 1/2 trottle to fly scale. Landing was a little tricky with a lot of wind gusting down the runway, but it came down fine with no problem.

I am very impressed by the plane and how it flys. It looks so real in the air and is very easy to fly. Another good one Andrew!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10312.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	1219882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20386.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	1219883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61304.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1219884  
Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 PM
scalenutz
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: KMP Hurricane - maiden

Congrats on a sucsessful maiden, good looking Hurri........
Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 AM
jmohn

Here are a couple more photos:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67136.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1220439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24624.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1220440  
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Scotsman

jmohn,

Is the pitch change from the gear speed sensitive?  If it is not, then I think I would consider programming in some elevator mix with the gear switch rather than trying to figure out how to turn the strut covers during retraction.  Just an idea.  Glad to hear the Hurricane flies so well, it is on the list for "someday..."  so many airplanes, so little time.

Best fo luck,
Scot
Old 06-18-2009, 11:09 AM
jmohn

The pitch change is not too bad and it could be contolled using some elevator mixing. That was my first thought while flying the plane. The only problem is that they reall affect the landing characteristics of the plane. Even with full flaps the nose wants to drop and the stall window is very narrow. I would prefer to try and get the doors turned so the flaps are more effective.

Jeff
Old 06-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeff, beautiful plane. I have the Dave Boddington Hurricane at 84"ws on electric also.  I am waiting to buy the batteries, 10s 30c on 5000mah. I am debating on the type. What are you using and where did you get them? What are your flight times?
Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 PM
jmohn

Ram-bro,

I am using Thunder Power gen 2 & 3 packs. They are 6S 5000 mah packs in Series for a 12S setup. I have used this setup on numerous planes and get 6 to 12 minute flights depending on how hard I push them. I usually like to keep the flights to around 6-7 minutes just in case I don't setup well for my landing and need to go around again. I think my average once I get on the ground is about 8 minutes. Again, if I just fly around at half trottle the whole time I can go 12 minutes or more, but that's no fun

Jeff

Old 09-19-2009, 06:12 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guy's

Just about to maiden a mates 80" KMP Hurri, and during taxi trials, she jumped off the ground a little and noticed that either A: WAY too much elevator throw is recommended in the manual, (40mm movement each way) which is way too much for my liking, or B: the 120mm back from the L/E for the CoG is out a little??

What have you guys got setup on yours?

Thanks

dave
Old 09-19-2009, 07:39 PM
rrudytoo
My Feedback: (27)

Dave,

Leave the large throw on your elevator "just in case" and program in about 60% exponetial into the transmitter. I do this as a matter of course when setting up a new plane and have identical settings (amount of throw and expo) for both low and high rates so I don't mess myself up by inadvertantly flicking the rate switch. Trust me, it works great!!!

Al
Old 09-19-2009, 09:26 PM
ticketec

In my warbird experience it was WAYYYYYY to much elevator... it's more of a case of it's going to get you into trouble, not out of it!!! I fly parkies with heaps of throw and very touchy models (so my flying buddies reckon anyways) but this was just too much.. I'm not a massive user of large amounts of expo, that's what thumbs are for

It's not a 3D machine so that's why i am concerned that the manual would suggest so much throw. My other KMP models manual's throws have beedn pretty close to the mark, this is why i'm suprised by the reactions of the model.

Thanks

dave
Old 09-20-2009, 04:52 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Dave,

When setting up my 72" KMP / ESM / YT International Hurricane I e-mailed the designer of this model ( Ian Redshaw in the UK ) regarding the suggested throws. He recommended pretty large throws with plenty of expo with the reason being that the elevator throw may be required in the landing phase. I too am not a big fan of lots of expo on elevator though I do use plenty on aileron and rudder. I test flew per Ian's suggestion but did end up reducing both throw and expo on elevator once I was familiar with what was required.

Cheers

Mick
Old 09-20-2009, 12:08 PM
ZERO-322

ORIGINAL: BOLTMAN

Hi Dave,

When setting up my 72'' KMP / ESM / YT International Hurricane I e-mailed the designer of this model ( Ian Redshaw in the UK ) regarding the suggested throws. He recommended pretty large throws with plenty of expo with the reason being that the elevator throw may be required in the landing phase. I too am not a big fan of lots of expo on elevator though I do use plenty on aileron and rudder. I test flew per Ian's suggestion but did end up reducing both throw and expo on elevator once I was familiar with what was required.

Cheers

Mick
Boltman

any chance you know of anyone or anywere I can get my hands on the 72" version of this model you mentioned , it isn't made anymore and I have searched high and low , being that you have one I was hoping you knew of a source
Old 09-21-2009, 03:17 AM
BOLTMAN
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zero 322

Sorry I do not know of any available. The members market herew on RCU might be worth placing a wanted ad on. Otherwise keep an eye on e-bay.

Cheers

Mick
Old 09-26-2009, 06:45 PM
ticketec

Well, we got up early Saturday morning to beat the winds and completed the maiden on the ESM Hurri!!!!!

I had my mate recheck the manual in regards to the elevator throw, and he found that he was mistaken and that it only asks for 30mm each way. When we put the throw meter on it, it was closer to 50mm[X(] Anyways, we corrected that and re-checked all the throws. we were a little short on the ailerons, which for flight number 2 i increased to the manual's specification.

She flew beautifully!!! it did need a fair bit of aileron comensation to correct a roll to the left, but other than that, it was fine! very smooth and stable model, and the landing speed is sooooo slow it's not funny!! I brought her in a lot hotter than what is possible for the maiden just to be sure.

In the end we managed another flight and only just beat the winds which got quite strong after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpKcB95Er7A

Thanks

dave
Old 09-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Asanders

Nice flight, sweet landing, beautiful aircraft.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
ZERO-322

ORIGINAL: ticketec

Well, we got up early Saturday morning to beat the winds and completed the maiden on the ESM Hurri!!!!!

I had my mate recheck the manual in regards to the elevator throw, and he found that he was mistaken and that it only asks for 30mm each way. When we put the throw meter on it, it was closer to 50mm[X(] Anyways, we corrected that and re-checked all the throws. we were a little short on the ailerons, which for flight number 2 i increased to the manual's specification.

She flew beautifully!!! it did need a fair bit of aileron comensation to correct a roll to the left, but other than that, it was fine! very smooth and stable model, and the landing speed is sooooo slow it's not funny!! I brought her in a lot hotter than what is possible for the maiden just to be sure.

In the end we managed another flight and only just beat the winds which got quite strong after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpKcB95Er7A

Can you give me the cowl dimensions , I want to see if any of the gas engines I have would be a good fit and cowl in completely , I have to find a good home for some of these engines LOL and need your help

Thanks

dave
Old 09-28-2009, 12:03 PM
jmohn

Looks great! I also love mine. I still have to mix in a lot of down elevator when the gear are up, but otherwise it's a solid flyer. It may just need more weight up front. Where did your CG end up? What motor are you using?

Jeff
Old 03-11-2010, 06:44 PM
balistc1000

ORIGINAL: jmohn

Well I finally got a chance to do the first flight of my KMP Hurricane. I was planning on putting a Saito 36 gas motor in the plane, but just couldn't get the motor to fit nicely. I ended up going electric with an Eflite Power 160 on two 5000 mah 6S packs. It took off at 1/2 trottle and flew great with almost no trim adjustment. I pulled the gear up and it ballooned up. I added some down elevator and it was fine again. It appears that the gear doors act like speed brakes when down. They are at a 45 degree angle to the wind and pull the nose down hard. I have to figure out some way to get them to turn when extended. Anyway, it flew awsome and was very fast and really didn't need more than 1/3 to 1/2 trottle to fly scale. Landing was a little tricky with a lot of wind gusting down the runway, but it came down fine with no problem.

I am very impressed by the plane and how it flys. It looks so real in the air and is very easy to fly. Another good one Andrew!

Beautiful plane! Just wondering if you have to take the wing off to change the batteries?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:33 AM
jmohn

I didn't want to cut a hatch in the plane and the batteries are behind the firewall. It's really not a big deal.

Jeff
Old 03-13-2010, 12:23 AM
balistc1000

Ok, thanks.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 AM
sonny2

Ihave just finished myEMSTroy built 82inchHawker Hurricane and had several problems with it during construction but the end results are the most of what Ineed to have some clarafication on.
1. the manual shows the CG to be 120 MM or 4-3/4 inchesaft of the leading edge but alsothe ilustration picturein the manualshows it in the center and in the rear of the two wheel wells which is 152 MM or 6 inches aft of the leading edge. Which is correct?
2. The manual shows the flying weight to be15 pounds, my weight came to 17-1/2 pounds.
3. I electrified my Hurricanewith a Hacker 60-20S motor,Castel Creation 85HVESC, and BEC PRO with two 5S 5800MAH Li-po batteries, [10 cells]. Ihave all componets up forwardas far as possible and the airplane is still tail heavy at 120MM/4-34" and if I used the 152MM/6", the aircraft would balance andwould not be nose heavyat all! What is recommeded before I take this airplane for it's first flight?
3. Ihave EMS RETRACTS on the airplane and had many factory faults with fittings and retract valve, after correcting all of those faults the biggest fault that Ihave now, is that there is left and right play in the wheels, one wheel has about an 1/8 inch slop back and forth and the other wheel has about a 1/4 inch slop back and forth, this is due to the spring compressed struts containment pin has too much clearance in the slot that it rides up and down in. Do I fly it this way?
4. The wheel fairings with the gear down are at an angle that I would consider to be a lot of drag or act like a speed brake because they are almost perpendicular to the wind, actual maybe 40 degrees to the forward wind. Is it safe to fly this aircraft this way.
I ask for everyones opinon on this facts. Please and thank you.
Sonny2
Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 AM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best thing to do with the retracts is send them back and get the Sierra Hurricane Gear. The Sierra gear rotats into position and allows the gear door to close flush.. There will be no play in the Gear...

Ty
Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 PM
jmohn

The Sierra gear are the way to go. I have the ESM ones and had the same issues. I used prop shims to get the wheel slop out and removed the gear doors. They do cause a lot of drag and were a problem on mine. I also set mine up with the CG farther forward of what's recommended. The listed weight is totally rediculos as mine came in at just under 18 lbs. using electric as well. I have several of their planes and they all seem to have the same issues. I just deal with them and move on. Not a big deal with me

I did get the Sierra retracts for my LA-7 and it's great! No problems on this plane, but the weight is still not right

Jeff
Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Growler84
My Feedback: (8)

All,
Check your CG using the calculator at: adamone.rchomepage.com and you will probably save a bunch of ballast weight. I say this because the Easy Tiger Bearcat owned by CaptG in that thread was going to require 12 pounds of ballast to put the CG where the manufacturer called for it to be. We used the program and found the factory CG of 5 inches behind the leading edge was out to lunch, the actual was 8 inches aft of the leading edge and my friend saved 6 pounds of ballast. He also avoided the required high stall speed associated with a nose-heavy airplane. His Bearcat flew perfectly, inverted it required about 5% down elevator, doesn't get much better than that. These manufacturers seem to go way forward in their CG locations out of some notion that the model will be safer to fly. Thats only up to the point that you run out of elevator authority.

I have the ESM Hurricane too, once I get off my butt I'll check the CG and let you know what I find, unless someone beats me to it.

Check out the Easy Tiger Bearcat post...last page.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:30 PM
sonny2

I have made only 3 flights with my EMS TROY BUILT 82 INCH HAWKER HURRICANE and each flight the retracts caused several problems, the worst being the plane can't be flown with the retracts such as they are designed, this is a heavy airplane for these retracts, the wheels wobble left and right and rub against the struts. there is not enough endnut threads so that you can space the wheels further away from the struts. In other words the axels are too short to begin with and the strut allows too, too much play left and right not only with the wheels but also with the spring loaded strut within it's own enclosure being retained by a very small hex head bearing screw. What really hurts is the airplane is just setting on it's cradle stand waiting for some good retracts. I have improved the retracting and exstending functioning of the gear without fault now, but I had to up grade to a better air valve and "T" fittings. But again the real problem now is the wheels lock up on landing and cause the airplane to nose over on it's spinner because the wheels have slop and wobble left and right enough to cause them torub against the struts and acting like brakes on landing......Just can't fly this airplane this way. If Troy Built does not come up with a remedy or replace them with something better. I will re-drill the inside of the lowerstrutaxel thread and re-tap it to fit a standard american threadedRobart or Dubro wheel axel that is slightly longer allowing for a 3/16 inch spacer keeping the wheels further away from the strut and then still enough room for a lock nut keeping the wheel on and also still enough room in the wheel well for a full retract fit. Also in doing this, I will have to modity the spring loaded strut so that it does not move at all, this I will do by drilling all the way thru the lower strut bearing bolt hole so that the screw becomes part of both the lower and uper struts making it onekeeping them staut without any hydraulic or spring action. Ipaid $139.00 for these retracts and expected them to work on such a notible companies airplaned.
Sonny2

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.