Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Old 07-10-2010, 09:34 AM
germrb
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MOKI RADIAL Care and Maintenence

Hi Straightleg,

Thank you for the information. It is hard to believe that our settings can be so different. Needle valve setting at your altitude are usually much larger then a setting at high altitude. What size prop are you using?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:30 PM
koenvlieg

for those who are interested in a scale prop with round tips, in combination with a spinner and good scale sound ( around 4200 rpm), I can advise a sep propellor 3-blate 29*16 for the 215, 30*16 for the 250. It's reinforced with gfk in the center and already painted black.
It's much lighter and cheaper than the solo prop.

Fg

Koen
Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Straightleg

ORIGINAL: germrb

Hi Straightleg,

Thank you for the information. It is hard to believe that our settings can be so different. Needle valve setting at your altitude are usually much larger then a setting at high altitude. What size prop are you using?
h
Hello germrb,

Hard to tell,I am using a solo prop,and adjust pitch to get best perfomance. If I do not recall wrong,I do not change needle setting when I change to my fixed pitch prop, 32x18.
The rpm is then 3900

/Straightleg
Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
germrb

Straightleg,

I am also running a 32 x 18 prop and have been satisfied with its performance. I do not have an inflight tachometer installed on my engine now, so I am not sure about the maximum rpm. My estimate is between 4000 to 4500. I have still not solved my heating problem. I still have some work to do.

Thanks again for your commments and data. This site has become very quiet. I was hoping that others would share their data. Maybe they are too busy flying and working.

Best regards,
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought you guys might be interested in what my 250 is hauling arround.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22991.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1470158   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87570.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1470159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65788.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	1470160  
Old 07-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Alex Louw
My Feedback: (1)

Hi

I am busy fitting a Moki 250 to my GeeBee. I have a few questions. I want to fit the engine with the small oil pump at the top of the engine but then the exhaust is facing the top of the cowl. Is it better to just turn the engine or is it quite simple to turn the colecting ring. And what is the best way to do it.

Regards
Alex
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16737.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1470801  
Old 07-20-2010, 02:31 PM
PirateKevin

The way I look at it, the emblem is in front of the #1 cylinder and it goes up so if your collector ring exhaust ports aren't facing down I'd have to say someone has moved it to a different position. You'll have to rotate the ring if you want them to exit out the bottom. My 250 is still in the box and the exhaust pipes face downward with #1 cylinder pointed up.
Kevin
Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 PM
germrb

Alex,

A friend and I have discussed the prospect of mounting the engine upside down in an attempt to get more uniform cylinder performance. However, you cannot rotate the collector ring and place the exhaust ports facing down. They will be offset to one side or the other. One will point almost straight down and the other will pointing about 60 degrees left or right.

With a big GeeBee there is a lot of room in the cowl to allow some creative plumbing of the exhaust to direct the odd one straight down. Some 20mm flexible steel tubing, generally used for gas connections to water heaters, etc, would do the trick.

If you can make it work, please post your final arrangement for the rest of us.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Alex Louw
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Kevin

Yes the exhaust is facing up if the cylinder 1 with emblem is on the top. Is it worth trying to rotate the ring or is it better just to rotate the engine. Would it make a differance to the running of te engine?

Regards
Alex
Old 07-20-2010, 03:49 PM
PirateKevin

Personally I would not mount it inverted. I don't know how the front crankcase housing is lubricated. I've never had it apart. I've read it has heavy oil or some kind of grease and what it would do to the fuel pump I don't know either. I read that the pumps get greased up in the pressure line and have to be kept clean so being inverted may created even more of a problem due to the fact that it would be at the bottom of the housing where most of the lube would be basically submerging the inner workings of the pump. Well I've been wrong before so if this is just wrong that's OK. Plus every guy that looks at your plane would tell you that you mounted your engine wrong,,Are ya ready for that? Hee Hee
Good luck
Kevin
Old 07-20-2010, 03:51 PM
PirateKevin

Oh I forgot to mentionit Turn the ring around!!
Old 07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
germrb

Alex,

Kevin is right! I forgot that the "air pump", which actuates the carb diaphram, would be on the bottom and would filll with grease from the cam. DO NOT MOUNT IT UPSIDE DOWN! THe cleanliness of the air pumb is very very critical. IF it gets clogged, the carb will become extremely lean and you will cook your engine. It is hard enough to keep it clean with the pump on the top.

Best,
Old 07-20-2010, 04:54 PM
PirateKevin

Thanks Alex for clearing this up! I really didn't know. That's what I like about this forum, I learn something everyday! I won't make that mistake.
Kevin
Old 07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
PirateKevin

Ooopps Thanks Bob for clarifying this!
Kevin
Old 07-20-2010, 05:41 PM
mogman

To all of you running a Moki in a fully cowled configuration. How much space do you have behind the engine for air to flow/circulate?

I am building a 50% Gee Bee "Y" and using a 400 for power. I am at present finalising my cowl mounting which doesn't leave very much clearance between the back edge of the cowl and the forward edge of the fuse/boot cowl. I will have maybe 3/4" of gap for air to pass through. Not very much, I know, but it is what it is.

My concern is air that passes over/past the cyls. will "build up" against the firewall and not flow freely out of the cowl. I will have a 2" spacer between the firewall and the mount which will leave approx. 3" from the ex. ring and the firewall. The engine is approx. 13" in dia. and the cowl is 19"

This is early in the construction stage so nothing is finalised yet.

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:47 PM
germrb

Alex, Kevin

I just thought of a solution!! If you use an external fuel pump, you can disconnect the air pump from the carb. That would allow you to mount the engine upside down. Here is a website for an excellent external fuel pump. The pumps are made by APS in Europe.

http://vogelsang-aeroscale.com/apspumps.html

Good luck,
Old 07-20-2010, 05:56 PM
germrb

Dave,

You have a very legitimate concern. Be very careful. these engines have a great tendency to overheat. The general rule of thumb is 4:1 (exit to inlet), but I'm sure you already knew that much, Also, be careful with baffles between the cylinders because the exhaust ring will not have any circulation.

I am using Eagle Tree data recorders to monitor my inflight temperatures on my 250 (33% WACO) and have had a real struggle with high temperature. I restrict most of my WACO flying to cooler periods. The target for the top cylinder is 230 F max. Considering the size of your investment, I would seriously recommend and inflight data system).

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Plane/plane.html

Good luck,
Old 07-20-2010, 06:12 PM
mogman

One thought comes to mind...because of the size of the firewall and the vast amount of room in the fuse, I could provide ducts in the firewall with fairing panels behind the cyls. to direct air to give considerably more airflow. The outlet(s) could be discreetly positioned on the bottom of the fuse.

Dave.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 PM
germrb

Dave,

Very clever idea. By the way, you might enjoy the attached video. Look closely at the gap between the cowl and the fuselage. I really don't understand how the engine avoids overheating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeSDahp3Okk
Old 07-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Timthetoolman1
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mick, that is an awesome plane.
Congratulations on a job well done.

Tim
Old 07-20-2010, 09:46 PM
germrb

Mick,

I agree with Tim, a very nice Hawker.

BTW, I'm still having heating problems with my 250. Do you know where your high and low needle valves are set? I'm trying to collect some data to see if I'm in the correct area.

Thanks,
Old 07-21-2010, 06:59 AM
PirateKevin

Watching that GEE BEE Video, That doesn't look like very much outlet gap for air flow but I guess it must work. I can't imagine the heat that a 400 must generate. I found another video that shows the cowl outlet just as the video begins. I paused it and you can get a good look at it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa018...eature=related

Kevin
Old 07-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Straightleg

Hello radial lovers !

Latest "tech" update from Norway : To reduce the oil spill from the lubrication of the rocker arms, I have done some research. The result is to use oil for the chain on a chain saw.
It has a sticky consistence, which means that it stays where it should be, inside rocker arm bearing. Use a coarse needle, and apply just a tiny drop on each rocker.
With this oil I have approx. 15 flights, and the cowl is still clean inside. The cylinder tops are also much cleaner.

/Straightleg
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM
PirateKevin

Thats a great tip!! I have a bottle for my saw waiting for me in the garage. It would be the perfect lube for them because it's formulated to stay on the occillating, very hot moving parts of a chain it will certainly stay put on the valve rockers and such.
Kevin
Old 07-22-2010, 02:20 PM
MarkShapiro
My Feedback: (52)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Off subject, but what smoker systems are you guys using on the 250?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.