Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

My video is a DVD and I need some #$%&%^ to covert it to a CD and then I can edit it! Anyone have any ideas for a tech-NOT like me?

Jerry
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Any luck with the video Jerry? No pressure, just wondering.

I have spoken with Vic Catalasan regarding the production of a cowl mold so that fiberglass cowls can be offered at some point in the not too distant future. I was unable to successfully vacuum form the cowl in one piece and, while my 3-piece version is working out fine, a glass one would only be that much better and less work for the builder. The glass cowl will cost more but the vac formed one will remain an option for those who prefer to spend less and do the work of assembling it. I am finalising things in preparation for production and will be taking orders very soon. I would still like to get the group build rolling by the first of November. Stay tuned...
Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 AM
tailskid

I went off and bought a DVD Rewriter and it can read the DVD and now I'm learning how to edit the video.....big learning curve for this guy
Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 AM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jerry, I thought you learned how to do all that stuff when you graduated double naught spy skool for the third time ?[sm=lol.gif]
Old 10-16-2009, 09:20 AM
tailskid

I went to night school, so I can't read or write during the daytime!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:45 AM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich
.....................If anyone knows where to get 3 3/4'' or 4'' wheels with a thin cross section I would LOVE to hear about them! I'm using a 3 1/2'' Robart as shown in the pics and, as you can see, they look a bit small. Scale would be 4'' and I have a pair of 3 3/4'' Robarts but they are simply too ''fat'' to fit in the wing when retracted. If you look at the full size airplane you will see it has a pretty skinny tire and now I know why! They need to be no thicker than 1'' and less would be even better. Any and all input much appreciated.
Williams Brothers:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWAA0&P=SM

Unfortunately, they are heavy and have no spoke design.

I'm with you tho: been searching for years for the perfect wheels for '60 size' warbirds. Like you: IO would LOVE to see Dave Brown come out with a set of 3 3/4" wheels which have the same width as their 3 1/2" wheels, and/ or ANYBODY to produce a good scale looking set of 3 1/2" and/ or 3 3/4" wheels which are also fairly light weight AND have a narrower cross section then all the others.

Those 3 1/2" H-9 wheels that you mentioned: are they the ones for the NEW Mustang? The older H-9 warbird wheels ( the ones that come with Corsair, Hellcat, and others) are 3 1/4", which are too small for any '60 size warbird.

If anybody knows of the perfect wheel: please start a new thread about it, so ALL of us warbird 'nuts' can hear about it.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock
Those 3 1/2'' H-9 wheels that you mentioned: are they the ones for the NEW Mustang? The older H-9 warbird wheels ( the ones that come with Corsair, Hellcat, and others) are 3 1/4'', which are too small for any '60 size warbird.
Jock,

The 3 1/2" H9 wheels I have on my Hellcat are out of the 1.50 size P-51 ARF. The 1.50 size P-47 came with the same wheels as well. I know a lot of guys, myself included, modified the P-47 to take a much bigger wheel and threw the stock units in the "spares" box so an add in the classifieds section might find you a couple of sets. The Hangar 9 web site has a 3 1/2" warbird wheel listed but says it won't be in stock until late December.

I wonder if the 4" Dave Brown tire could be cut down and fitted to his 3 1/2" wheel?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 AM
Chad Veich

Just FYI, I am waiting on pricing for the .91FX power package and the Robart air system components and then I will be ready to take orders. The first batch of kits has already been started and I will have the prototype Hellcat and a kit on display at the One Eighth Air Force event this coming Saturday in Mesa, Arizona. If you are at the show and interested in the Hellcat please stop by and say hello. Here is a link to the event flyer. Love that header image!

http://www.oneeighthairforce.org/Portals/0/OEAF.JPG

If you are not interested in purchasing the .91FX or the air system with your kit then please feel free to order any time. Here is a link to the order page:

http://www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com/order.html

Alternatively, you can simply send an email to me at [email protected] and I will send you the order form with complete pricing and instructions.

Thanks!
Chad Veich
Old 10-19-2009, 09:43 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich
.....................If anyone knows where to get 3 3/4'' or 4'' wheels with a thin cross section I would LOVE to hear about them! I'm using a 3 1/2'' Robart as shown in the pics and, as you can see, they look a bit small. Scale would be 4'' and I have a pair of 3 3/4'' Robarts but they are simply too ''fat'' to fit in the wing when retracted. If you look at the full size airplane you will see it has a pretty skinny tire and now I know why! They need to be no thicker than 1'' and less would be even better. Any and all input much appreciated.
Williams Brothers:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWAA0&P=SM

Unfortunately, they are heavy and have no spoke design.

I'm with you tho: been searching for years for the perfect wheels for '60 size' warbirds. Like you: IO would LOVE to see Dave Brown come out with a set of 3 3/4'' wheels which have the same width as their 3 1/2'' wheels, and/ or ANYBODY to produce a good scale looking set of 3 1/2'' and/ or 3 3/4'' wheels which are also fairly light weight AND have a narrower cross section then all the others.

Those 3 1/2'' H-9 wheels that you mentioned: are they the ones for the NEW Mustang? The older H-9 warbird wheels ( the ones that come with Corsair, Hellcat, and others) are 3 1/4'', which are too small for any '60 size warbird.

If anybody knows of the perfect wheel: please start a new thread about it, so ALL of us warbird 'nuts' can hear about it.
has any one looked at Dubro. I ws just on their site and they have lighweiight 3-3/4" wheels that are only 29mm wide about 1-1/8" ck them out also a 4" wheel @ 29.21mm www.dubro.com/hobby
Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Chad Veich

Guys,

I have launched an "official" group build thread for the Hellcat at the link below. Let's build some Hellcats!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...tm.htm#9187106
Old 12-24-2009, 10:39 AM
p 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a warm Merry Christmas to all
Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 PM
pkf3
My Feedback: (16)

I have the P-51B in two sizes, 80 inches and 72 inches. The design of the larger one is about 75% complete while the smaller one is not as far along. This may be the next one I build for myself as it is a relatively simple build and should result in a good flying airplane. Much like the Hellcat I have tried to keep the Mustang as simple as possible while still maintaining an accurate outline.

I am trying my hardest to keep the costs down on the Hellcat and make it affordable for as many folks as possible.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Chad,
Did you finish the design or build of the 72" P-51B?
Old 02-25-2017, 12:42 PM
Chad Veich

Sorry pkf3, the P-51B is still just "vaporware" at this point.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:03 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow , no wonder this thread seemed new to me, but is far from new.. a 7 year BUMP ! Its good to see interesting topics on the move..no matter how many years between posts..
Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 PM
pkf3
My Feedback: (16)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Sorry pkf3, the P-51B is still just "vaporware" at this point.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:25 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have plans for a marutaka hell cat