Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

I have been working on an idea for a group build aimed at the beginning warbird builder and would like to know if there is enough interest in the idea to move forward. Basically this would be a step by step build of one of my own designs from start to finish. Along the way I would provide hints, tips, and tricks that I've learned over the years and, hopefully, the thread would draw the interest of other experienced builder who would offer up there input as well. The aircraft chosen is a 65" F6F Hellcat which is currently underway, see pics below. The plan is to fly the prototype in primer to make sure the design is sound and then the group build can start. I've taken several hundred pictures thus far of the build which will be used to illustrate the thread. In order to keep the thread interesting for everyone I will not post every step of the build here but will, instead, build a web site dedicated to the Hellcat. The idea is to hit the major high points here on RC Universe and keep it interesting even for those who may not be building along. The web site would then provide a blow by blow for those involved in the build. I have begun a similar web site for the construction of my Yak-11 which can be seen at this link to give an idea of what I have in mind: www.yak.cwvmodels.com

While the group gets started building I will continue with the finishing of the prototype and the build will cover all aspects of glassing, surface detail, painting, weathering, etc. Right up through to test flying if all goes as planned.

A laser cut short kit will be available for the Hellcat as well as vacuum formed parts such as the cowl, canopy, drop tank, gear doors, etc. The airplane is designed to use off the shelf retracts and other components that are readily available.

The Hellcat was chosen because it is a relatively simple build, has great proportions for a warbird, and they generally make great flyers. The span is 65 inches, 1/8 scale, and I hope to come in around 9-10 pounds on the prototype. My airplane will start out with a .61 two stroke as I think it will be plenty of power and fits totally concealed in the cowl upright. (KISS principal) I think it would also make a great electric conversion for those interested. In keeping with the KISS principal the flaps have been omitted as they add complexity and weight that I don't think is necessary. Based on my experience if the airplane is under 10 pounds flaps will be totally unecessary.

Anyway, if there is enough interest in the idea ( And the airplane flies! ) I will expound with more details and begin preparations for the group build. Let me know what you think. If the idea is successful I have other designs on the board (or already flying) that I would like to group build as well. Looking forward to your input on this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	F6F_SHEET1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2238485

Name:	F6F_SHEET2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2238486

Name:	FQTR_7-24.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2238487

Name:	RQTR_7-24.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	2238488
Old 07-25-2009, 07:12 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Gauging interest, Hellcat group build

not a beginner builder but a hellcat fan count me in.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:12 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am interested. I have a taylor Hellcat that I have been thinking of building, I could use the insperation.

Regards,

Dave
Old 07-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Chad Veich

Thanks for the response guys.

Aerowoof, experienced builders are welcomed!

Below are a few pics taken during the frame up to illustrate the methods of construction used. I've strived to keep the airframe as light as possible as well as taking full advantage of the accuracy of the laser to make construction as simple as possible.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Vintauri
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested too. Be a nice replacement for my current electric conversion Hellcat.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Flakbait
My Feedback: (20)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribed!

I have the Jerry Bates version. It's been on the back burner for too long.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40051.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1243573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37925.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	1243574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu50849.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1243575  
Old 07-26-2009, 02:20 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Chad,
This looks great. My oldest son and I will learn a lot from it.
Sam
Old 07-26-2009, 06:11 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have liked to seen it larger than a .61 size.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Vintauri
I'd be interested too. Be a nice replacement for my current electric conversion Hellcat.
I would love to see it built electric Vintauri. In fact, I considered electric for my prototype but I'm trying to build it up to represent how I think the majority of less experienced modelers would choose to build it. The .61 two stroke is an inexpensive, easy to operate, and common powerplant that I think will be a popular choice. With that in mind I really need to know that it will provide adequate performance. I have a flying prototype for a 71 inch span Ki-61 Tony that I would also love to do as an electric. It is currently flying with a .90 two stroke but the very skinny nose makes it nearly impossible to hide an internal combustion engine installation. It really cries out for electric power and I have intentions to build a second one for electric if I can ever find the time! I'd love to be able to swing a scale size three-blader as well.

ORIGINAL: DaddySam
Chad,
This looks great. My oldest son and I will learn a lot from it.
Sam
Sam,

Are you going to watch or build along? This would make a great primer before getting back to the big Corsair!

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01
Sweetpea01,

This particular design was created at the request of a friend and the size was determined by him. He is a relatively new modeler and this will be his first warbird which is why I tried to keep the design simple and relatively inexpensive while still making it look like a Hellcat. Along the way it ocurred to me that maybe there were some other folks out there that were also new to warbird building and that a group build like this might prove to be popular. If it goes well I have some ideas for other group builds and one of those ideas is to build the Hellcat again but at 1/7 scale. At that scale the Hellcat would be big enough (around 72 inches) to carry lots of detail and opens the door for a gas burner to be used. I would add the flaps and tweak the outline a bit so that the airplane would have some contest potential for those interested. I really like the 70-76 inch size range for single engine fighter types and that is where the majority of my designs end up. It a size that seems to be somewhat overlooked by kit makers and plans designers as well.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Chad, you know I will be watching. Have you considered designing a 60 sized Wildcat? I know we could come up with an affordable retractsetup......
Old 07-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

Chad, you know I will be watching. Have you considered designing a 60 sized Wildcat? I know we could come up with an affordable retractsetup......
I would love to do a Wildcat in almost any scale Ram-bro. It's is one of my favorite airplanes. If somebody would take the Karlson gear design and make it commercially available I would be happy to design a Wildcat to go with them! No disrespect to Mr. Karlson but I have his plans and they are a bit vague and outdated. Other designs being considered are a Ki-43 Oscar (already started actually), F8F Bearcat, Grumman Guardian, P-51B Mustang (already started), Zero, P-40B, P-39, and the list goes on! I also have a few really obscure types that probably would not make for very popular group builds such as the Curtiss CW-21 and Fiat G-50.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Ram-bro

Chad, where can you find these plans?
Old 07-26-2009, 01:26 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Chad,
Count us in for the build along. I too would like to see an 50cc gas engine - sized version, although I know there are several already out there. That being said, I like the idea that we can build this plane, put something like a ST 90 in it, some hopefully cheap retracts, and use standard servos. I know there is a quantum jump in prices when you go from .60 to 1.20 and to 50cc, so I think that starting on this size bird is a great advantage to those of us with limited resources. I've built from kits quite a bit, but not straight from plans, although my son is building a Fokker d7 from aerodrome models right now, and that's a plan and short kit build.

Do you think that some of the TF in-cowl mufflers would work for the Hellcat?
Sam
Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 PM
aerowoof

I see you build on glass as I do.where or who to contact for plans and the laser cut short kit?this flying season has been a bust so far as it has rained about everyday this summer
Old 07-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Vintauri
My Feedback: (25)

I like the idea of a P-51B. I would love to see it sized for a 1.20 glow or 26cc gas if possible.

On the Hellcat I'd be up for an electric conversion on this one too as long as the price is right on everything.

Steve
Old 07-26-2009, 06:25 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Chad, as previously discussed with you, Im all in with you for the hellcat build please.

FlakBait,.. which Bates Hellcat did you build, the 96 inch or the 80 inch? I just got the plans from Jerry and purchased a short kit from LaserCut USA for the 80 inch F6. If its the 80 incher, what engine did you power your plane with? I may need some questions answered about the build once I start mine [sm=drowning.gif] .
Thanks guys...
John
Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro
Chad, where can you find these plans?
Which plans are you referring to Ram-bro. If you mean the Karlson Wildcat plans they used to be available through Model Airplane News but I'm not sure if they still are or not.

ORIGINAL: DaddySam
Chad,
Count us in for the build along. I too would like to see an 50cc gas engine - sized version, although I know there are several already out there. That being said, I like the idea that we can build this plane, put something like a ST 90 in it, some hopefully cheap retracts, and use standard servos. I know there is a quantum jump in prices when you go from .60 to 1.20 and to 50cc, so I think that starting on this size bird is a great advantage to those of us with limited resources. I've built from kits quite a bit, but not straight from plans, although my son is building a Fokker d7 from aerodrome models right now, and that's a plan and short kit build.

Do you think that some of the TF in-cowl mufflers would work for the Hellcat?
Sam,

Glad to hear you're interested in building the Hellcat. It would be hard to compete with the Jerry Bates plans if you want something for a 50cc and I'm sure laser cut parts are available through one of the suppliers. Heck, Flakbait has a nice one pictured above he might be interested in selling! My little Hellcat is aimed at an entirely different market though.

I think pretty much any in-cowl type muffler will work on the Hellcat as it is pretty roomy in the cowl. The one I have for the OS .61 going in my prototype is, I think, a Slimline product and it fits easily.

ORIGINAL: aerowoof
I see you build on glass as I do.where or who to contact for plans and the laser cut short kit?this flying season has been a bust so far as it has rained about everyday this summer
I love building on glass aerowoof. Instead of clamps, pins, magnets, or whatever I just tack glue everything right to the glass. A single edge razor blade cleans it all up when I'm done. The plans and parts will be available through me but not until the prototype has flown. That should be within a month if all goes well. I may also provide the laser cut short kits too, unless I get more orders than I can fill. In that case I will outsource the laser cutting.

ORIGINAL: Vintauri
I like the idea of a P-51B. I would love to see it sized for a 1.20 glow or 26cc gas if possible.
On the Hellcat I'd be up for an electric conversion on this one too as long as the price is right on everything.

I have the P-51B in two sizes, 80 inches and 72 inches. The design of the larger one is about 75% complete while the smaller one is not as far along. This may be the next one I build for myself as it is a relatively simple build and should result in a good flying airplane. Much like the Hellcat I have tried to keep the Mustang as simple as possible while still maintaining an accurate outline.

I am trying my hardest to keep the costs down on the Hellcat and make it affordable for as many folks as possible.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Capt. Winters
My Feedback: (8)

Hi Chad, I have been reading your thread, and your project would be a great build for my sons and myself. I am interested in the price for the kit.I tried to find your website on the web, but no luck, could you pease post a link Thank you, Capt. Winters
Old 07-26-2009, 09:11 PM
7aso
My Feedback: (27)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Marutaka Hellcat which I'll probably never get around to

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49099.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	1244270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55447.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	1244271  
Old 07-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Ram-bro

now that is one I have never seen
Old 07-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Capt. Winters

Hi Chad, I have been reading your thread, and your project would be a great build for my sons and myself. I am interested in the price for the kit.I tried to find your website on the web, but no luck, could you pease post a link Thank you, Capt. Winters
Capt. Winters,

My web site as listed in my signature is related to my professional model building and has little R/C content. I have not put together a web site for the Hellcat yet as I was not sure if there would be sufficient interest to warrant it. I am slowly building a site dedicated to another design of mine, a Yak-11, which can be seen at the link below. It is similar to, although not exactly, what I have in mind for the Hellcat group build. I don't have any pricing yet on the Hellcat as I have not flown the prototype and would be a bit uneasy selling an untested design. I'm working to get it done as fast as I can. It seems as though there will be plenty of interest in the build so I will start pulling together the web site and getting numbers together for pricing. Thanks for your interest and keep an eye on this thread for regular updates.

www.yak.cwvmodels.com
Old 07-26-2009, 10:37 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sweetpea01
ORIGINAL: Chad Veich
Sweetpea01,

This particular design was created at the request of a friend and the size was determined by him. He is a relatively new modeler and this will be his first warbird which is why I tried to keep the design simple and relatively inexpensive while still making it look like a Hellcat. Along the way it ocurred to me that maybe there were some other folks out there that were also new to warbird building and that a group build like this might prove to be popular. If it goes well I have some ideas for other group builds and one of those ideas is to build the Hellcat again but at 1/7 scale. At that scale the Hellcat would be big enough (around 72 inches) to carry lots of detail and opens the door for a gas burner to be used. I would add the flaps and tweak the outline a bit so that the airplane would have some contest potential for those interested. I really like the 70-76 inch size range for single engine fighter types and that is where the majority of my designs end up. It a size that seems to be somewhat overlooked by kit makers and plans designers as well.

As long as its quarter scale. Nothing worse than making an awesome detailed warbird to be excluded from IMAA events because its not quite large enough.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Capt. Winters
My Feedback: (8)

Thank you Chad, I will keep reading , so as to stay updated. I was just getting ready to finish up my CMP Hellcat as well and get it in the air. Gotta love those Hellcats Take Care, Capt. Winters
Old 07-27-2009, 01:03 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Chad,

I have a mate who wants to start learning to build, but wants something to build with detailed instructions on how to build it so he doesn't keep filling my workbench and time with his builds so this sounds like a great intro to building. Heck, at the right price, i might even build one!

It's amazing how little there is now out there for someone who wants to start learning to build. The only really mainstream options i could find for him was the Top flite kits (warbird wise). Now having build their mustang, they are well guided builds, but built like a tank! so i look forward to seeing your design. it already looks to be great and nicely lightened taking into account modern laser accuracy.

Thanks

Dave
Old 07-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Bonza

Hello,

I am new to the hobby and am still on my trainer, which I assembled from an ARF.

However, the impetus for me to get flying was to build and fly warbirds. While I realize that I am a couple of planes away from being able to handle a warbird, I reckon a group build might be a really cool way to learn to assemble a kit.

Do you reckon this build will be doable by a first time builder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.