Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

New Drop Tanks, Bombs, etc.

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

New Drop Tanks, Bombs, etc.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Firepower R/C
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Drop Tanks, Bombs, etc.

Hello all! My name is Rich I have been designing & manufacturing model accessories on a small level for many years now, and have amassed a few molds for vac- formed and urethane- casted stuff, such as pilots, drop tanks, bombs, hardpoints, and canopies among other things. I have decided recently to expand my work and make more of what I manufacture available for sale to others. I make no claim to be the best at what I do... I just have a passion for R/C and would like to contribute to the hobby. As I have a full time job already, this will be a part time gig at most- I intend to have fun & not get burned out. With that being said, I am looking for some feedback on what I have made so far to kind of gauge interest. Most of what I am showing here I did back in 2005 when I was hot and heavy into it, and now Iā€™m ready to do more!!! So have a look and feel free to respond or PM me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50312.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1277079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99647.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1277080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83737.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1277081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53922.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1277082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw20455.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1277083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj71600.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1277084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Df72390.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1277085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb94225.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1277086  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp14633.jpg
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1277087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qc28293.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1277088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms80674.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1277089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju83692.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1277090  
Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Firepower R/C

Default RE: New Drop Tanks, Bombs, etc.

The Hanger 9 P-47 has Top flite Tanks on it in the above picture... I included this pic to show the hardpoints I made prior to making my own tanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:21 PM
AirplaneMan04

Rich, i would love to see if you could do a vac formed or fiberglass
dorsal fin conversion for a top flite giant scale p-47. To make the
current bubble canopy arf into a razorback!! Currently there
is no one out there with this simple piece for conversion.
There are after market fuselage makers though.
Your work looks great.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:14 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Hi Rich:
I would love to have some pylons available for purchase, maybe one for quick release and one for bolt on for display

Thank you, Dave,,,,,, 1/5.5 scale
Old 09-17-2009, 01:53 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Rich,

your stuff looks great. I always like to add hard points and ordinance to my warbirds. I will be looking for future products from you.

Regards,

Dave
Old 09-17-2009, 04:41 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of tanks that Rich made a few years ago there nice quality, the instructions are easy to follow, and the price was right, keep up the good work there is a need out there for some scale accessories like yours.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 PM
masteromodels
My Feedback: (11)

I think there would be a lot of interest in the 1/5 scale.

thanks bob
Old 09-17-2009, 06:57 PM
CorsairJock
My Feedback: (90)

I have a total of 7 Vortac bomb release mechanisms, 4 of which are in use. I have a small 'stash' of Vortac bombs, but the supply is dwindling (either lost or fins broken off) and would LOVE to find a supplier of replacement 1/7 to 1/8 scale 'exploding' (2 piece/ break apart) bombs.

Name:	Qn38243.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1277200  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Firepower R/C

[sm=49_49.gif]Well, I would like to say thanks for the kind words, guys. Sometimes when I am working on a project for a while it is hard to be unbiased due to the time investment. I remember you bigtim, you got some stuff from me back when I first made it all... it is good to hear that your items worked out for you.

Corsairjock, I have ran across your various projects many times here on the universe & always am impressed by them. I actually already have an exploding bomb in 2 sizes, but haven't fully tested them yet. I gave a few sets to friends to get some feedback, but then I had to move suddenly and lost touch with them. Any interest in being my new guinnea pig? They are in 1/8 scale... do you have any of the old vortac release clips to use on them? If not, I have a set of molded hardpoints that are removable for the H9 Corsair that utilize the fourmost release. they are on the Corsair pictured above. I need someone to try a set of these, too.

Here are some pics of the bombs as well as a few other items, including what I call the cargo drop pod(the yellow one). It looks like a drop tank, but when released it splits to drop candy, paintballs, skydivers, etc. Now you can convert your warbird into a candydropper without some huge box on your plane! Thoroughly tested, works perfectly. Most of my tanks can be modified to do this. During testing, I covertly dropped 2 skydivers in front of some club members and the couldn't believe they came off my P-47 until they saw the pods up close[X(]. Kids just love to watch 'em, too. fun fun fun!!!

Man, this hobby is fun(says after realizing how much I got carried away there).

Name:	Ge96342.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1277258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11898.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1277259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch97206.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1277260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ib82599.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1277261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pb35506.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1277262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qp52962.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1277263  
Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Mustang51
My Feedback: (25)

Would be interested in 1\5th - 1\4 scale.

M51
Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Firepower R/C

Here are a couple videos of some drops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSghLLu85U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYw4xZDKdxo

Rich
Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Nice work Rich , I am in need of the 1/6 and 1/7 scale products , did you say you make pilots as well , how about interior kits ?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 AM
800mZero
My Feedback: (2)

I purchased a set of tanks and pylons just yesterday off from rich for my new hanger mustang when it hits the shelves. Great guy to work with! And his dad was a F-94 pilot in Korea!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:36 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: reehoe
...............Corsairjock, I have ran across your various projects many times here on the universe & always am impressed by them. I actually already have an exploding bomb in 2 sizes, but haven't fully tested them yet. I gave a few sets to friends to get some feedback, but then I had to move suddenly and lost touch with them. Any interest in being my new guinnea pig? They are in 1/8 scale... do you have any of the old vortac release clips to use on them? If not, I have a set of molded hardpoints that are removable for the H9 Corsair that utilize the fourmost release. they are on the Corsair pictured above. I need someone to try a set of these, too..............................
Heck Yeh (on BOTH counts). I have some release clips that I could use on some of your bombs. 1/8 scale is perfect (TF Corsair is true 1/8, TF Thunderbolt is 1/7.75).
I'll send you an e-mail.
I'll be leaving for Kentucky in about a week, and will be at Lousville warbid event: if I get them in time, I can try them out there.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:55 PM
WhoDaMan

ORIGINAL: reehoe

Here are a couple videos of some drops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSghLLu85U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYw4xZDKdxo

Rich
Hi Rich that was great

Can you do the pylons in a 1/6-1/5 scale for the corsair, Byrons

Thank you,,,, Dave

Name:	Hf97727.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1277654  
Old 09-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Firepower R/C

Corsairjock- got your email... will reply asap. Whodaman, I am slated to take temporary possession of a byron corsair soon for just such a project. It will be a bit, but stay tuned. I am willing to do ordinance in any scale, but it will take time as I am finishing some sets to be sold by a major hobby retailer. My stuff is typically CAD designed then molds are made via CAM machinery, but some is hand made. Rich
Old 09-19-2009, 04:38 PM
WhoDaMan

Very cool Rich, same bat channel, same bat station
Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Firepower R/C

I have done some more testing on a simulated exploding bomb and the results look good. I will post pictures soon.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:44 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

now a days , I am glad you used the word "simulated " [X(], we need to keep you in business and out of jail lol
Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich,

Do you have a web site per chance? Great looking stuff you're doing here, keep it up!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:40 PM
sonsight
My Feedback: (1)

Rich,
The R/C community worldwide has had this need for decades. Sure we can build R/C warbirds, but when it comes to detail parts we are on our own. Even myself I am in need of 10 1/5 scale WW2 rockets & two bombs for my Corsair. On my Mustang it sure would be nice to have nicely molded machine guns and drop tanks in 1/5 scale. Trying to make rockets & machine guns out of aluminum tubing just doesn't cut it. If I was a betting man, I would bet you that if you could gear up to meet the demands in 1/4, 1/5, & 1/7 scale, your machines would be running nonstop 24/7 to supply the needs of modellers worldwide. Heck, even the Top Gun guys would beat a path to your door!
Jake

Old 09-23-2009, 02:03 PM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Jake you have a nice thought about making lots of $. Unfortunately it's not the case, not even close. I make 1/5 scale wheel hubs for the FW190 that I sell to Sierra and he sells to the world wide modeling community. I haven't gotten rich off of it and I doubt I ever would.

There was a company several years ago that did make scale bits for warbirds and they are no longer with us. In fact people complained that their prices were too high.. I didn't think agree at the time because they had quality products etc.

Modelers want Great stuff for a Cheap price! I know this from personal experience. I appreciate a bargain as well as the next but I also understand what it takes to bring something to market..

It takes lots of work to make any money in this small market that we have.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:46 PM
CorsairJock

ORIGINAL: BobH
...........................Modelers want Great stuff for a Cheap price! I know this from personal experience. I appreciate a bargain as well as the next but I also understand what it takes to bring something to market........................It takes lots of work to make any money in this small market that we have.
Well said, BobH. NOBODY is getting rich off of this hobby. At best, a few people can make ends meat and turn enough profit to sustain a living above poverty level. For many, if not most: it is a second income, driven more by love for the hobby than any hope of getting rich.

Yes, we all want things for less. People were compolaining about SkyShark prices (the last great U.S.A. kit maker?), but those guys were just getting by, until they went under.

Do your hobby a favor: buy things because they are what you need and don't have the means to make yourself, and quit griping about high prices.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Firepower R/C

Thanks for the inspration, guys! I've had a go at selling my "wares" before, and even though they were well received, interest dies off quickly. Sometimes people see someone selling a new item and think, " That will be around for a while, I'll get one later." Then the interest dies off and the product disappears due to lack of sales. Heck, I've done it many times myself... and then I end up kicking myself for not buying it when I had the chance.

One thing is for sure, in the cottage hobby industry, you have to LOVE what you do, because the money isn't enough to go on alone. But I love it, so I hope to be in a while. I know I will grow tired of making the stuff eventually, but for now the fire's still burning. I feel like contributing to everyone's fun more than anything. This hobby can be fun, remember?

As for a web site, I am working on a website and hope to have it up soon, but in the mean time I keep a small presence on eBay as firepower_rc. I want to get away from there though, as they're fees are getting higher by the day and they keep punishing and alienating the sellers with silly rules. Anyhoo, my next project to tackle after I polish up a few things already started is a center hardpoint and wing hardpoints for the Hanger 9 Hellcat. It's been done before by others but I want to take a crack at making a set. I just hope the stock retracts hold up during the tests... they are still going strong after 3 years on my Corsair! 11 lbs, Super tiger .90 powered and lovin' it!!!! They can run well, I've never had a dead stickwith it... uh oh... now I gone and jinxed myself. Jeez!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:51 PM
GTFreeFlyer
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Rich, I love it! What will it take to get some bombs for my 1/7 Top Flite Corsair? I currently have the wing all cut up since I'm replacing the fixed gear with some retracts. Now would be the time to install some hardpoints and release mechanism. I'm not really interested in the drop tanks, but some armament sure would be nice. I'm quite active on RCG more than here on RCU. I'd blog all about your product if that could buy me a discount Actually I'd probably blog about it either way. Let me know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.