Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Old 12-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Thanks John and Larry for checking in. Larry, I did not really think I would be able to find an extension of the .91FX either but, come to find out, it's readily available through Sig. Or at least it used to be, not sure if the new owners are still making them or not.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Flakbait
My Feedback: (20)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great Chad.Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Flakbait
Looks great Chad.Merry Christmas!!
Merry Christmas to you too Stephen, thanks!

And Merry Christmas to all the RCFW Hellcat builders and lurkers out there as well. I have sent out half a dozen or so sets of Hellcat accessories in the last couple of months (since making the plans available through RCSB) and I know there are at least two Manzano laser kits out there so, hopefully, more pics will be forthcoming. One of my fellow club members here in Phoenix has one nearly all framed up and has promised to provide pics for me to share. He is a terrific scale builder and pilot so I look forward to seeing his finished Hellcat in the not too distant future. More progress pics of my dummy radial install coming soon too so stay tuned.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:24 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chad, I think that 91 will fly your bird very well.
Keep up the great work and Merry Christmas to you and your family.
I am planning on starting on my kit after the first of the year ( and yes, I know, Im really slow, LOL ) , although I have been lurking and reading all the updates and progress here on your thread. Ive got a RCGF 20cc gasser that I am planning on using on it.
See ya and Merry Christmas everyone!!!
John
Old 12-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Sharpeye22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you Chad and all of yours.

Ohh by the way, I am still hoping for the Cockpit Kit and instructions for my build when I get it started. And of course anything else you come up with, LOL

Old 12-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Chad Veich

John, looking forward to your build when you get going. If your RCGF runs anything like the one in Tighe's Hellcat I think you will be very happy with your choice of powerplants. Any news on the re-birth of the Bates Hellcat?

Larry, the cockpit kit is coming and will hopefully be available well before you are ready for it. I will try and update the instructions on the web site before very long as well. I've got my second fuselage nearly finished and have taken lots of photos along the way so I've got lots of new material. Just need to find the time to get it organized and on the web site.

With any luck 2012 will bring with it a conclusion to this project including the completion of the web site and my #2 prototype as well as, hopefully, some completed Hellcats from you guys.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2011, 12:24 PM
JohnMcGowan
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chad, just to show you just how slow I am, I still have the RCGF 20 cc bolted to the test stand from over a year ago when I purchased it []. I put an old Dynaflight 15x6 on it and it spun around 8000 if I recall after one tankful, so it should do well I think.
I am thinking that it would be best just to go with a new laser kit on the Bates one rather that try to patch things up. Maybe this upcoming summer.
John
Old 12-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Reini450

Merry Christmas (Fröhliche Weihnachten) also from Germany.
All Hellcat-builders, and the Hellcat-designer as well, peaceful days with your family.
Detailed informations about my modification to electric motor are coming soon.

Greetings from Germany,
Dirk
Old 12-24-2011, 06:03 PM
grh_70

"Detailed informations about my modification to electric motor are coming soon."

Dirk,

Vielen Dank
Old 12-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Chad Veich

Thanks for checking in Dirk! You're contributions will be much appreciated as their are several Hellcat builders who are, or are considering, electric power.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:57 PM
lightning 759

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chad
Merry christmas
&
Happy new year

look foreward to some new projects from you in 2012
hopefully starting my hellcat in new year

Andy
Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 PM
Chad Veich

Hi Andy, thanks for checking in. Hope your Christmas was everything you had hoped for and best wishes to you in the new year as well.

Well as the old adage goes, "one step forward and two steps back". Managed to get the dummy radial installation pretty much wrapped up but in the course of doing so discovered that the .91FX I acquired second hand has a bent crankshaft. That's going to set things back a little bit but, hopefully, not too much. Anybody got a spare .91FX?!!

Old 12-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Luft-Gangster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Replacement shaft is $55.99 @ Tower.

Or, pull the crank. Place it in a V-block on the large journal. Use a .0001" indicator on the end of the small journal and find the high spot by rotating the crank in the v-block. clamp the large journal in the v-block. Hit the high spot with a brass hammer on the small journal. Some times a brass rod held against the small journal hit with any small hammer works. The crank is only hardened at the rod pin and prop threads, the rest is file soft, so it will bend back. Repeat the above procedure until runout is within .0001" to .0003" ( sometimes the error is due to roundness not runout ).
Did this several times in my learning days of flying and it worked well. Sometimes the engines tacked higher rpm's because they were straighter than original.
I have done this 3 times and never had a problem with the engines. ( all 3 were K&B .40 )
The risk is losing a already bent shaft.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63920.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	1705333  
Old 01-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Reini450

First off all I would like to wish you: " A HAPPYNEWYEAR! "
Now, as promised, some information about my modifications.
The "powerplant" will be a Hyperion ZS 4025-16. Some Datas you can find in the data sheet.
The prop will be a Ramoser 18.6" or 19.9" three blade prop. Further information are here.
http://www.ramoser.de/home_e/variopr...rioprop_e.html
The engine will powered by 6-8 S LiPo's.
To bring as much as possible wight in the nose (to catch the centre of gravity ), a possible configuration you can see in the picture.

Dirk

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50912.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1709142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91602.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1709143  
Old 01-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Chad Veich

Watching with much interest Dirk, thanks for posting.

I've found someone who is going to take a crack at straightening the crankshaft on my .91FX. Can't hurt to try right? If that does not work I'll be giving Tower a call!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:49 PM
baldguy
My Feedback: (4)

Yipee my Hellcat came today! Now when I'll find the time to do it who knows.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: baldguy
Yipee my Hellcat came today! Now when I'll find the time to do it who knows.
Get to work Craig, we need more Hellcat builds!
Old 01-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Chad Veich

Under the heading of "It's about time" I have finally made some progress on my second Hellcat fuselage and made a small update to the web site. Hope to keep up a steady rate of progress but time will tell. Hard to believe this project is now entering its fourth year! (I started the design work near the end of 2008)

http://www.hellcat.cwvmodels.com/fuse.html
Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Chad Veich

I wasn't sure it was ever going to happen but the Hellcat is once again ready to fly. I have a few clean up items to attend to but there is nothing missing that would prevent the airplane from being flown as it sits. I hope to have it out this weekend for some serious ground testing to make sure everything functions as intended. If all goes well then a test flight could be in the cards. Please send lots of good "juju" my way this weekend!

Progress has been made on Hellcat #2 as well and an update to the fuselage construction gallery of the web site can be expected in a the next day or two.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:56 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

I wasn't sure it was ever going to happen but the Hellcat is once again ready to fly. I have a few clean up items to attend to but there is nothing missing that would prevent the airplane from being flown as it sits. I hope to have it out this weekend for some serious ground testing to make sure everything functions as intended. If all goes well then a test flight could be in the cards. Please send lots of good ''juju'' my way this weekend!

Progress has been made on Hellcat #2 as well and an update to the fuselage construction gallery of the web site can be expected in a the next day or two.
Here is some good 'juju' from Australia Chad. This has been a great project. What modelling is all about.

Go mate.

Brad
Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Sharpeye22

It has never stoped to amaze me at the quality of your modeling skills. I believe I saw this airplane in this months AMA newsletter. Good luck on your remaiden.

Now for me back to my cheeze looking CMP hellcat bash and reading your updates on the build website.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That bird is going to look great in the sky! Best of luck to you sir!

Casey
Old 01-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Chad Veich

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll report back when there is more to share, good or bad!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Chad Veich

No test flight today but lots of taxi testing. Everything worked flawlessy with the exception of my fuel fill valve which was leaking and, I suspect, is allowing the engine to suck air. It still ran well, although it would not hold an idle as well nor was it quite as responsive as it was previously, so I decided not to risk it. That, and I still want to have pictures taken by a friend of mine who has some "proper" camera equipment. Speaking of which, I apologize for the "schmutz" on the lens in the pictures below. I will get a new fill valve in it this week and make plans for a test flight next weekend if possible. Fingers crossed!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM
baldguy
My Feedback: (4)

Tsk tsk. Now if that was electric there would be none of this not running right, won't hold idle nonsense!
Good luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.