Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 01:59 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Is that a special kind of glue your using in the brown bottle?Looks good!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks great Dirk, thanks for the photos! Anybody else out there still plugging away? Please share your progress if you are. I'm working on the flap installation section of the web site and hope to have a substantial update very soon.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Reini450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

Is that a special kind of glue your using in the brown bottle?Looks good!

The stuff in the bottle tastes better than ist sticks.
So I decided to drink it.
Also, it is good against balsa dust.

Thanks for the kind words Chad and raptureboy.

In this sense,
Cheers

Old 03-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Chad Veich

Just wanted to check in and let everyone know that the Hellcat project is not dead! I've not had much time to work on my second airplane but I have been doing some flying of the prototype. Knock on wood I think I've finally solved all the various issues with the OS .91FX and fuel system and the airplane is running top notch. I participated in our "Winter Warbirds" event in January and the Hellcat came away with a best of show trophy which was a nice surprise. For those who are interested in such things the airplane was clocked with a radar gun at an all warbird event this past weekend. With the .91FX running rich and the drop tank hanging out in the breeze we were still getting 98mph out of the old girl on a level pass after a very shallow dive. Not too shabby for a the stubby Hellcat! I'm still playing around with props and will probably try to find something that gives me a bit more vertical at the expense of speed as I don't really need to blast around at nearly 100mph. One more event to attend this weekend and then it will probably be time to hang the Hellcat up for the summer as it will be getting too hot to fly around here. The summer is our building season and I hope to make some great progress on my other two Hellcats! (One of these days I will find somebody with a camera and get some video of the Hellcat to post as well.) As always I will be looking forward to any updates by other Hellcat builders out there.

Half way through a 4-point roll.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
BubbasanJohn

Anyone know where I could get a drop tank for my 72" span ESM hellcat?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
budmo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's an awesome pic. I've been working on that Hangar 9 Hellcat.. The open areas have been sheeted, so I'm almost ready to glass it.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: BubbasanJohn

Anyone know where I could get a drop tank for my 72'' span ESM hellcat?
I have one drawn up in 1/7 scale but, unfortunately, it's about two inches bigger than my vaccum forming equipment will handle. Sorry Bubbasan, wish I could help you out.

ORIGINAL: budmo

That's an awesome pic. I've been working on that Hangar 9 Hellcat.. The open areas have been sheeted, so I'm almost ready to glass it.
Hi John, good to hear from you. Looking forward to seeing the Hangar 9 bird completed so we can go flying! Any chance of seeing you (and the Corsair) out at the OEAF event this weekend?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try parkflyerplastics.com http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...ain_page=index Lots of cool accessories in all kinds of scales.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

You've got that one pretty dialed in. No rudder or elevator I notice. Very nice.

Cheers,
Old 03-21-2013, 01:26 PM
G.F. Reid

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

... the Hellcat came away with a best of show trophy which was a nice surprise.

I'll bet you're the only one that was surprised Chad. That thing is awesome.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:42 AM
BubbasanJohn

ORIGINAL: BubbasanJohn

Anyone know where I could get a drop tank for my 72'' span ESM hellcat?
I have one drawn up in 1/7 scale but, unfortunately, it's about two inches bigger than my vaccum forming equipment will handle. Sorry Bubbasan, wish I could help you out.
How about making it two part? Kinda desperate. The one from troy built is really pretty poor quality.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Chad Veich

Thanks Duplicator and Greg for checking in and for the kind words.

Bubbasan, you planning to drop the tank or just want something to hang on the airplane for show?
Old 03-22-2013, 02:02 PM
BubbasanJohn

just for show.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 AM
fordy8

Chad, just wondering if there are any new developments on the flap problem? When can we expect the next update to the build website?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: fordy8

Chad, just wondering if there are any new developments on the flap problem? When can we expect the next update to the build website?

Not ignoring your fordy and I will be back later today to answer your questions when I have more time to make a detailed explanation. Suffice to say the flap problem was really very minor in the end and the fix is a simple one. Stay tuned...
Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Chad Veich

Fordy,

Below is a scrap view of the modified plan showing the flap fix. Basically it is a simple matter of changing the angle of the pin that ties the inboard and outboard flaps together so that it is parallel to the hinge line of the flap rather than angled as shown originally. If you compare the drawing below to your plans you will quickly spot the change. I've finished the flap mod on my #2 airplane on one side and am close to being finished with the second. I am taking pictures of the process on the second side for inclusion on the web site. It is my sincere hope to make substantial progress on #2 over the summer months. However, I've said that numerous times now and each time some other "squeeky wheel" keeps me from working on it. However, if anyone needs info on any steps not yet covered on the web site please don't hesitate to send me an email. I have many, many pictures that I have taken while building both airplanes and would be happy to share them via email if they will help somebody to maintain progress on their Hellcat. I will do my utmost to get the flaps finished and the web site updated over the next 3-4 weeks.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:31 AM
lightning 759

Hi Chad
hope you don't mind me asking but do you have any build pics of the waste gate area , for some reason I cant get my head round this simple bit , do I cut into the belly pan when using your moulding etc

thanks
andy
Old 06-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Chad Veich

First of all let me apologize for a lack of progress on the Hellcat build site. Among other issues making a living has really put the brakes on getting any work done on my own projects. However, I do have lots of pictures taken during construction of the prototype so if you reach a point, as Andy has, where something is not clear and is not yet covered on the web site, just ask!

Here you go Andy, the basic process.

First step is to trim to size the "ramp" that will form the wast gate opening. (Sorry for the blurry pic, it was all I had!)

Next mark out the section of belly pan where the ramp will be installed.

Carefully cut and removed the sheeting.

Remove the internal stucture to make room for the ramp. This does not overly effect the strength of the belly pan and whatever strength is lost is returned once the ramp is glued in place.

Install the ramp. I tacked it in place and then applied plenty of epoxy and microballoons on the inside to all joints.

Next you need to create the waste gate door and the small finger shaped fairing which goes ahead of the ramp. These are trimmed from the supplied vac-formed part as shown in the next three diagrams.

Install the sections of fairing as shown.

Last step is to install the waste gate door. Here are a couple of finished pics.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask!
Old 06-20-2013, 08:39 PM
lightning 759

Hi Chad
Thanks for that makes everything clear ,don't apologise for not keeping website up to date you have to make a living first after all this is just a hobby ( to most ) at the end of the day,

thanks for your help
Andy
Old 06-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Chad Veich

My pleasure Andy and thank you for your understanding. I'd love to see some pics of your build if you are willing to share them!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:33 AM
lightning 759

My pleasure Andy and thank you for your understanding. I'd love to see some pics of your build if you are willing to share them!
Hi Chad
will get some more pics on soon ,been away from modelling when my dad became ill last year & sadly lost him early this year so not felt like doing anything model related ,just getting back into things

Andy
Old 06-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Chad Veich

Totally understandable Andy and I'm sorry for your loss. I will look forward to the pictures whenever you decide to post them.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Chad,
I seem to remember you were working on a larger Hellcat in the 86 in. size. Is this going to be a reality? Do you have a build thread on this one. Very interested in doing one. Thanks for the build thread , very informative and excellent craftsmanship as usual.
Fred Menna Check6
Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Chad Veich

Hi Fred,

A 1/6 scale Hellcat has been started but has not been worked on in some months for a variety of reasons. I definitely will get it finished eventually but am not even going to hazard a guess as to when that might be! Build thread is here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm
Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 PM
Racinrc14
My Feedback: (7)

Chad,

I know you are not producing kits at this time, and I don't want to Hi-Jack your thread, but if anyone out there has an RCFW Hellcat kit that they might want to part with, I'd like to have it. Thanks!

-Tommy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.