Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Old 02-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Tko310
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The RCFW Hellcat Group Build

Robert is using the Robart retracts.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Hellcat41

Hello everyone, and I'm glad to see that Chad has this build going strong, and that there are many others who enjoy this fantastic airframe. Been awhile since I talked with Chad via e-mail, I had been following the CMP build, and have almost everything that Luke made up originally, but time and health got in the way. Now I'm ready to go again, and with Chad's encouragement earlier on, I found this build two day's ago . . . happy valentines day. Will have to get myself a list of all the things being offered via this build. All the planes shown so far look terrific. Will be participating as soon as possible ... The handle here is Ernie, but I prefer "Hellcat" so much better Well let me get this into the forum, and re-read all the posts so I can truly catch up. At least in the reading. May all your landings be third wire . . .
Old 02-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome Ernie, er, Hellcat41 I mean! If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Hellcat41

Hi again to all. Thanks for the reply Chad . . . you certainly have things rolling right along. Really glad to be a follower. Found the list of items/materials we will be using, and the laser cutting looks terrific. Now I have to find out the monetary damages and where to order everything from. I have a Saito Golden knight 100 that I am planning to use. Lots of neat little things to talk about to even add more scale features. How I love the Hellcat.

The first thing a night fighter pilot is terrified of is the night time takeoff ..... the next is flying around for several hours and then having to perform a night landing on a pitching and rolling deck.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Hellcat41

Hi again to all. Thanks for the reply Chad . . . you certainly have things rolling right along. Really glad to be a follower. Found the list of items/materials we will be using, and the laser cutting looks terrific. Now I have to find out the monetary damages and where to order everything from. I have a Saito Golden knight 100 that I am planning to use. Lots of neat little things to talk about to even add more scale features. How I love the Hellcat.

The first thing a night fighter pilot is terrified of is the night time takeoff ..... the next is flying around for several hours and then having to perform a night landing on a pitching and rolling deck.
Glad to have you aboard Hellcat41. Send me an email at the address below and I will send you the order sheet with all the pricing details if you like. Stay tuned for some exciting news from Tighe as well. He is making great progress on his Hellcat.

[email protected]
Old 02-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Tko310

HI ALL
I HAVE MADE SOME PROGRESS THIS WEEKEND. I GOT SOME PAINT ON THE PLANE. I AM USING PPG ACRYLIC ENAMEL FOR THE BLUE. KRYLON AND TESTORS FOR THE MARKINGS AND WEATHERING. THE BLUE I USED IS A LITTLE LIGHTER THOUGH IT DEPEND ON THE LIGHT. IN NORMAL LIGHTING IT IS ABOUT THE RIGHT COLOR, IN FULL SUN IT BRIGHTENS UP. NOT PLANNED BUT SHOULD HELP VISABILITY.

WORD OF WARNING I STARTED TO USE TESTORS WATERBASED ACRYLIC FOR THE WHITE. I HAVE FOUND THAT WATER BASED PAINT CAN BE SPRAYED WELL IF IT IS THINNED ENOUGH, HOWEVER IT DOESNT WORK OVER GLOSS VERY WELL. BY THE TIME I GOT IT THICK ENOUGHT TO NOT BALL UP LIKE WATER ON GLASS IT WAS COMING OUT LIKE MARBLES!!!!!!! I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHER WAYS AROUND THIS I CHOSE KRYLON.

HAVE FUN
TIGHE (TY) O'MEARA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	om33515.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1379914   Click image for larger version

Name:	qm35836.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	1379915   Click image for larger version

Name:	ze86353.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	1379916   Click image for larger version

Name:	ha79200.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	1379917   Click image for larger version

Name:	ep84694.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	1379918   Click image for larger version

Name:	vm82126.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	1379919   Click image for larger version

Name:	jl95139.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	1379920   Click image for larger version

Name:	zy83586.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	1379921  

Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 PM
Tko310

JUST A NOT YES MY PHOTOGRAPHY IS POOR BUT THE LAST PHOTO IS TO SHOW COLOR

BY THE WAY ALL THE STENCILING IS PAINTED AS WELL
Old 02-16-2010, 12:24 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you make the stencels or is there a source for them ?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Tko310

I made them on the laser. We use shelf paper for masks. It works really well in flat surfaces. I have to admit i had some trouble with all the raised rivets.
Tighe
Old 02-16-2010, 07:21 PM
whatiwork4
My Feedback: (51)

sure looks easier than the dry transfer lettering I've been using since 74
Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Charles, AC6WU
My Feedback: (80)

Or painting it all by hand like I've been doing since (secret)...
Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Tko310

I AM GOING TO TRY ANOTHER TECHNIQUE. I WILL APPLY THE INSIDE PARTS AS A TEMPLATE, THAT ARE MENT TO BE TOSSED. THEN I WILL SPRAY LIQUID MASK AND TRACE AROUND THE TEMPLATE AND REMOVE. THEN MASK OFF THE PERMITER AND SEE IF THIS REDUCES THE PAINT BLEED.
ALL IN ALL I AM PRETTY HAPPY JUST A FEW TOUH UPS AROUNF THE LARGE INSIGNA.

TIGHE
Old 02-22-2010, 07:06 PM
jimmy m

Here are some pics for you grumman cat builder. All are from the fantacy of flight meseum in florida, just outside of orlando. chad,you have a great online build going. wish I had 3 or 4 of my current projects out of the way so I could jump in, but i'm tracking your thread very close. Looks like there is going to be alot of great looking birds from it. Keep going!

Name:	Fd90940.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1384803   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32129.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1384804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37036.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1384805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xr47272.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1384806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw21259.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1384807  
Old 02-22-2010, 08:24 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Tighe
Just where did you find it dry & warm enough to spray in Phoenix this weekend ? Looking good [8D]. BTW are you going to use paint masks for the stars & bars
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 02-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Tko310

Hey Uncle Joe
I sprayed it last weekend. For the aircraft i am modeling what you see is it a far as the stars and bars, but I did use spray masks. There are two yellow bands around the tail and starboard wing I will just tape them off.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:51 PM
Chad Veich

Jimmy m,

Thanks for checking in and for the FoF pictures. That museum is definitely on my "to do" list but, being in Arizona, I'm a loooong ways away! Kermit has had the F6F for a lot of years now and hopefully it will be getting the full treatment in the near future.

Although it's not going as fast as I had hoped the flaps are coming along steadily. It was my intention to build just enough of the wing to add the flaps but it became apparent that the best way was to get the wing to the finished stage and then go back and add the flaps. Below you can see that I have the outer flap built and hinged, ready for the 1/32 plywood top skin that will form the gap seal. The inboard flap is complete. That little missing section of flap between the two is built as part of the center section but will be attached to the outer flap when it's all done. (per the full scale) It's looks strange at first to have a bend in the outer flap so that it wraps around the dihedral break but it actually should make it easier to tie the two flaps together. I need to get a couple of things done on the center section so that I can joing it to the outer panel. In order to get a good fit between all the angles and mating surfaces I won't finish the outboard flap until after the wing is joined. More to come soon!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Chad Veich

Hellcat41 sent me the following a couple of days ago and asked that I post them. I've enlarged and sharpened them as much as I can but they are still not completely legible. I've asked Hellcat to scan them at higher res and resend them because they would be immensely helpfull if we could read all the text! I believe these are from the Aero Detail book on the Hellcat.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Charles, AC6WU

Hi Chad,

Haven't talked with you for a while. I'm down to only three projects on my workbench and wondered what the status of my kit was.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:33 PM
uncljoe

Chad & Tighe
The next few weeks look great as far as weather goes and the field (SVF) is open for test flights which should work well since, its before the 8th AF meet in Mesa, so I'm ready to shoot the photographs,just give he a day notice,and I'm ready.
Semper Fi

BTW you guys have done an AWESOME job on a IRONWORKS bird
Old 02-27-2010, 02:08 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys here is a link to the GSA specifications website, where you can order samples of any FS color # in 3x5 chips for $5 ea or an entire sample wheel [link]http://apps.fas.gsa.gov/pub/fedspecs/[/link] they are exact matches which you can take to your paint dealer to scan and then mix. I have been using latex paint lately and it works great. Easy to work with and if you don't like it wipe it off with water. Home Depot and Lowes both now offer 4oz sample bottles for around $3 in flat and semi-gloss finish's. The correct color #'s are as follows- 2 -tone scheme was non -specular blue/gray (fs36118) for the top surfaces and non-specular light gray for the bottom (fs36440) 3-tone was non- specular blue (fs36118) on the top surfaces and non- specular intermediate blue (fs35164) on the sides, and vetical tail, and flat white on the undersides. The final scheme was all glossy sea blue (fs15042). Hope this helps you all. You all are doing great work everyone! I am learning alot from you guys. I used to do carpentry for a living and now I feel like a beginer around you guys. I am attempting to kit bash my CMP Hellcat using some of the techniques from that build,but It get pretty frustating sometimes trying to fix all the non- scale features, but it's alot like trying to restore an old house. Hey chad, ever consider selling a wing and tail feather set for the arfs?
Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Charles, AC6WU

Hi Chad,

Haven't talked with you for a while. I'm down to only three projects on my workbench and wondered what the status of my kit was.
Hi Charles,

Your kit is complete but I'm still waiting on the Robart air system and wheels which have not come in yet. Also, I was waiting to get my flaps done so that I could include the drawings and a few parts for you so you can add the flaps to your airplane. I'm just about finished up with that. Your kit should ship some time this coming week unless the back ordered stuff does not show up. Heck, if you're ready to build I'll ship the kit anyway and get you the gear parts when they do finally show up. I'll keep you up to date.

ORIGINAL: uncljoe

Chad & Tighe
The next few weeks look great as far as weather goes and the field (SVF) is open for test flights which should work well since, its before the 8th AF meet in Mesa, so I'm ready to shoot the photographs,just give he a day notice,and I'm ready.
Semper Fi

BTW you guys have done an AWESOME job on a IRONWORKS bird
Hey Joe,

My Hellcat is not ready to fly again yet but I did put two test flights on my new TF P-40 today and was considering bringing it to SVF on Friday in order to get some more stick time on it before the OEAF event. I'll let you know as I would love to have you shoot some flight shots of it. It's a great flyer by the way but a bit tricky on the ground! Much more so than the Hellcat for sure.

ORIGINAL: raptureboy

Hey chad, ever consider selling a wing and tail feather set for the arfs?
Thanks for the paint info raptureboy. I could sell you a wing and tail kit but I'm not sure how well they would fit the CMP fuselage. They could probably be adapted with a little work.

More pictures of the completed flaps coming soon! Stay tuned...
Old 02-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Charles, AC6WU

Thanks for the update Chad. I can wait, just wanted to see where we were. Your flaps are looking good. BTW I'm thinking of having a sliding canopy remotely controlled so I can adjust exiting cooling air from the battery. What do you think?
Old 02-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Chad Veich

Charles,

I don't know much about electrics but a sliding canopy would be a neat feature and if you can make it function to cool the motor too that would be great. I will stress that whatever you do try and keep the weight to a minimum. These smaller warbirds are much more pilot friendly and fun to fly if the weight is kept in check.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:35 PM
uncljoe

Chad
Just call me & I'll meet you at SVF,most likely I'll be there(SVF) as Friday is usually a 8th AF day..See you there
Semper Fi
Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 PM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your welcome Chad,I was partially kidding about the wing kit,I think I'm getting things worked out. My only concern right now is my aileron set up. I realized after building them that I mis- measured the size when I was converting from 1/72 scale drawings.[] I was wondering if you think they will be too small now,to provide enough control. See what you think if you can tell from my pictures. I really appreciate any help you or anybody else here can offer

Name:	Vt57493.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	608.6 KB
ID:	1388188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30189.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	624.9 KB
ID:	1388189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95736.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	645.3 KB
ID:	1388190   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57640.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	604.0 KB
ID:	1388191  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.