Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 12-08-2010, 05:51 PM
SimonCraig1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

I am about to go AFK for the night so one last clue:

In a similar vein to the last question, I'm looking for a pilot

1. In the space of 45 minutes, and four engagements (some sources say five), this pilot shot down five aircraft including three of the most advanced types of the period.
2. The aircraft downed in chronological order were three Fokker D.VIIs, a Pfalz D.III and an Albatross D.V
3. The vast majority of his victories, including the ones downed above, were while flying the Sopwith Camel
4. His first victories were possibly an even greater achievement downing three aircraft (two Fokker Eindekkers and a Albatross D.I) flying the Martinsyde "Elephant" a 'scout' that was obsolete before it left the factory floor.
6. He had 18 more victories than William Kennedy-Cochran-Patrick, though none in SPADs.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: SimonCraig1

I am about to go AFK for the night so one last clue:

In a similar vein to the last question, I'm looking for a pilot

1. In the space of 45 minutes, and four engagements (some sources say five), this pilot shot down five aircraft including three of the most advanced types of the period.
2. The aircraft downed in chronological order were three Fokker D.VIIs, a Pfalz D.III and an Albatross D.V
3. The vast majority of his victories, including the ones downed above, were while flying the Sopwith Camel
4. His first victories were possibly an even greater achievement downing three aircraft (two Fokker Eindekkers and a Albatross D.I) flying the Martinsyde ''Elephant'' a 'scout' that was obsolete before it left the factory floor.
6. He had 18 more victories than William Kennedy-Cochran-Patrick, though none in SPADs.

Well, I was trying to ignore this; but if no one else will pull the trigger... Quite the character, actually. Thanks; Ernie P.

John Inglis Gilmour

Gilmour joined the Royal Flying Corps in December 1915. He was originally assigned to 27 Squadron of the RFC. They were the sole squadron equipped with the Martinsyde G.100, commonly called the Elephant. This craft was nicknamed for being large and ungainly. A single seated aircraft, it turned out to be too big, slow, and unmaneuverable to be a successful fighter, and without a rear gunner, too defenseless to survive well in a ground attack or bombing role. It was equipped with a Lewis machine gun mounted on the upper wing firing over the propeller arc, and a second one on the fuselage pointed toward the rear.

Nevertheless, before the Elephants were withdrawn from service, Gilmour scored three victories flying one, though his primary duty was bombing. On 15 September 1916, in conjunction with several other pilots, he destroyed an Albatros D.I. On the 24th, he destroyed a Fokker Eindekker; on the 26th, he drove another down out of control.

On 26 May 1917, Lieutenant Gilmour received the Military Cross for his prowess as a bombing formation leader. At this point, he was almost certainly still flying the Martinsyde.
Late in 1917, Gilmour was assigned to No. 65 Squadron RAF as a flight commander.[3] After a fourteen month gap in his aerial victory list, he scored flying a Sopwith Camel, on 18 December 1917. His two triumphs that day made him an ace.
He shot a triple on 4 January 1918, including one down in flames, and followed it up with number eight on 9 January.[1]
He then began to run up his score by single and double victories—two in February, one in March, seven in April, eight in May, four in June. By 29 June, his total was 31.[1]

On 1 July 1918, Gilmour capped his career with a performance that earned him a Distinguished Service Order. On that evening, in a 45 minute span, he burned two Fokker D.VIIs and knocked another down out of control, set an Albatros D.V afire, and drove a Pfalz D.III out of the air. The times on his combat reports make it clear these were five separate engagements; many times, aces reporting multiple victories scored in a single engagement.

Gilmour destroyed a Pfalz the next day, and two the day after, for his final successes. In the end, his victory record showed that he had 1 balloon destroyed, 1 enemy aircraft captured, 24 aircraft destroyed (and 3 shared destroyed) and 10 claimed 'out of control'.[4] Eight of the destroyed craft had gone down in flames, as had the balloon.[5]
He was promoted to major and transferred to Italy to command 28 Squadron. However, he did not add further victories to his record.
His victory list made him the leading ace of the 13 aces in 65 Squadron.[6]
On 3 August 1918, Gilmour was awarded the DSO; on 16 September, he was gazetted for his second bar to his MC.[5]
After the war, he had a brief tenure as air attaché in Rome in July, 1919. He then transferred to the Middle East to join a former Royal Naval Air Service unit, No. 216 Squadron RAF.[3]
John Inglis Gilmour died on 24 February 1928, having committed suicide by cyanide poisoning. His death certificate describes him as of being of independent means but unsound mind
Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

He is depicted here claiming his second kill on 24th September 1916 when he destroyed a Fokker E.1 whilst flying Elephant No 7284.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12531.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1532012  
Old 12-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl

He is depicted here claiming his second kill on 24th September 1916 when he destroyed a Fokker E.1 whilst flying Elephant No 7284.
Thanks for the backup, Glacier Girl. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 AM
SimonCraig1

Spot on as usual and thanks for the image Glacier Girl!

The floor is yours Ernie.....
Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: SimonCraig1

Spot on as usual and thanks for the image Glacier Girl!

The floor is yours Ernie.....
Now why did I do that? With the schedule lately, I don't have a good question ready. I do have an easy question, drawn from some stuff I have been reading. I think one of you experts is going to slap this one straight back at me, but here goes. And, you must name BOTH aircraft. Thanks; Ernie P.

Background: They say records are made to be broken. If that is true of most things, it is especially true of speed records. But one aircraft world speed record stood for thirty years.

Question: What designated warbird held the absolute world speed record for thirty years? And from what warbird did it take the record?

Clues:

(1) Although designated a warbird, the ultimate winner was in reality little more than a flying “hot rod”. The other aircraft to hold the record was far closer to a production warbird.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
at101

The first anser is the Messerschmitt Me 163 the next one is the SR-71
Old 12-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: at101

The first anser is the Messerschmitt Me 163 the next one is the SR-71
Sorry, no. Keep trying, though. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 PM
at101

did I at least get one right
Old 12-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Ernie P.

Last clue for the evening. Thanks; Ernie P.

Background: They say records are made to be broken. If that is true of most things, it is especially true of speed records. But one aircraft world speed record stood for thirty years.

Question: What designated warbird held the absolute world speed record for thirty years? And from what warbird did it take the record?

Clues:

(1) Although designated a warbird, the ultimate winner was in reality little more than a flying “hot rod”. The other aircraft to hold the record was far closer to a production warbird.

(2) The speed record was the absolute world speed record at the time. As faster jets came onto the scene, the speed record became the record for propeller driven aircraft.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: at101

did I at least get one right
Sorry, no. Both were propeller driven aircraft. See the second clue. Keep trying! Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:31 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I'm thinking maybe the first one is the Me 209 V-1 (was supposedly, or for propaganda purposes called a "modified" 109 )...pre war...did something like 469 m.p.h.?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_209

The 2nd one might either be Rare Bear or Dago Red?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:08 AM
The Raven

Coming in late....

Would that be the BearCat, specifically aircraft like the Reno racer Rare Bear?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Ernie P.

You guys are thinking along the right lines; but read the question more carefully. What aircraft held the record for thirty years? And from what aircraft did it take the record? Here's a couple of clues that should give you the answer. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) The speed record was the absolute world speed record at the time. As faster jets came onto the scene, the speed record became the record for propeller driven aircraft.

(3) Both aircraft were from the same country.

(4) Various versions of the two planes switched the record back and forth several times.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: proptop

I'm thinking maybe the first one is the Me 209 V-1 (was supposedly, or for propaganda purposes called a ''modified'' 109 )...pre war...did something like 469 m.p.h.?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_209

The 2nd one might either be Rare Bear or Dago Red?
Good thinking; you're half way there. But I didn't ask what aircraft eventually took the record; I asked from what aircraft the first plane took the record. Look backwards; not forwards. What aircraft held the record BEFORE that 469 MPH run? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:12 AM
proptop

Well...the 209 (or "109R" ) beat the specially modified He 100...is that the one you're talking about?

http://www.airracinghistory.freeola....20Me%20209.htm

The world's fastest piston engined airplane was this Messerschmitt Me 209 V1 which set the absolute world speed record of 469.22 mph on April 26, 1939. Aircraft was flown by Flugkapitan Fritz Wendel, (shown below being congratulated by designer Willy Messerschmitt). Power was a specially designed Daimler-Benz DB 601 ARJ twelve cylinder inverted liquid cooled engine of 1,800 hp which could be boosted to 2,300 hp for short bursts. Aircraft was completed in June 1938 and first flew August 1, 1938.

Just a few weeks prior to Wendel's flight, on March 30, 1939, 22-year old Hans Dieterle flew a Heinkel He 100 V8 at a speed of 463.92 mph to break the then existing absolute speed record set June 2, 1933 by Italian pilot Francesco Angello in a Macchi-Castoldi MC-72. Angello's record was 440.7 mph. He flew a tandem engine, open cockpit, externally braced wing, twin float seaplane. Dieterle's record lasted less than a month. The record set by Wendel in the Me 209 V1 would last for 30 years. It was broken on August 16, 1969 by American Darryl G. Greenamyer in a highly modified 3,100 hp F8F-2 Bearcat "Conquest 1", at an average speed of 483.041 mph. Some parts of the Me 209 V1 still exist today, stored in the Polish Air Museum at Krakow.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:50 AM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: proptop

Well...the 209 (or ''109R'' ) beat the specially modified He 100...is that the one you're talking about?

http://www.airracinghistory.freeola....20Me%20209.htm

The world's fastest piston engined airplane was this Messerschmitt Me 209 V1 which set the absolute world speed record of 469.22 mph on April 26, 1939. Aircraft was flown by Flugkapitan Fritz Wendel, (shown below being congratulated by designer Willy Messerschmitt). Power was a specially designed Daimler-Benz DB 601 ARJ twelve cylinder inverted liquid cooled engine of 1,800 hp which could be boosted to 2,300 hp for short bursts. Aircraft was completed in June 1938 and first flew August 1, 1938.

Just a few weeks prior to Wendel's flight, on March 30, 1939, 22-year old Hans Dieterle flew a Heinkel He 100 V8 at a speed of 463.92 mph to break the then existing absolute speed record set June 2, 1933 by Italian pilot Francesco Angello in a Macchi-Castoldi MC-72. Angello's record was 440.7 mph. He flew a tandem engine, open cockpit, externally braced wing, twin float seaplane. Dieterle's record lasted less than a month. The record set by Wendel in the Me 209 V1 would last for 30 years. It was broken on August 16, 1969 by American Darryl G. Greenamyer in a highly modified 3,100 hp F8F-2 Bearcat ''Conquest 1'', at an average speed of 483.041 mph. Some parts of the Me 209 V1 still exist today, stored in the Polish Air Museum at Krakow.

You got it, Proptop; that's the answer. Actually, the Heinkel 100 and the Me-109 swapped the record back and forth several times before old Willy brought in the hot rodded Me-209 to finally nail the record down. To me, the record of 463 MPH by the He-100 is a more impressive feat. Yet for various reasons, the He-100 and He-112 were not put into production in the numbers of the Me-109. I think the Heinkel might have eventually been very competitive with, if not better than, the Me-109.

You are up, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.

Soon after the public debut of the new fighter, in July 1937 three Bf 109Bs took part in the Flugmeeting in Zürich. Under the command of Major Seidemann, they won in several categories: First Prize in a 202 km speed race, First prize in the Class A category in the international Alpenrundflug for military aircraft, and also victory in the international Patrouillenflug. On 11 November 1937 the Bf 109 V13 flown by Messerschmitt's chief pilot Dr. Hermann Wurster, and powered by an 1650 1,650 hp (1,230 kW) DB 601R racing engine set a new world air speed record for landplanes with piston engines to 610.55 km/h (379.38 mph) and won the title for Germany for the first time. Converted from a Bf 109D, the "V13" had been fitted with a special racing DB 601R engine that could deliver 1,650 hp (1,230 kW) for short periods. Heinkel, having had the He 112 rejected began work on the He 100. On 6 June 1938, the He 100 V3, flown by Ernst Udet, established a new record of 634.7 km/h (394.4 mph), and later, on 30 March 1939, test pilot Hans Dieterle surpassed that record, reaching 746.61 km/h (463.92 mph) with the He 100 V8. Messerschmitt soon regained the lead in this race. On 26 April 1939, Flugkapitän Fritz Wendel, flying the Me 209 V1, raised the figure to 755.14 km/h (469.22 mph). This was a racing aircraft having little in common with the Bf 109, powered by the DB 601ARJ, producing 1,156 kW (1,550 hp) but capable of reaching 1,715 kW (2,300 hp). For propaganda purposes, the machine was called the Bf 109R, suggesting it was just another version of the standard fighter. This world record for a propeller-driven aircraft was to stand until 1969.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 AM
proptop

The He-100 has been a favorite of mine for a long time...[8D] Wish there was a kit available in around 1/6 scale.

OK...let's start a new ? with this: (looking for an airplane )

It was originally designed as an "Attack" aircraft...
The "A" ground attack classification was eliminated the next year...
The (late war...WW 2 ) requirement was then changed to a low-level bombing and close support type...
Old 12-10-2010, 09:31 AM
proptop

OK...let's start a new ? with this: (looking for an airplane )

It was originally designed as an "Attack" aircraft...
The "A" ground attack classification was eliminated the next year...
The (late war...WW 2 ) requirement was then changed to a low-level bombing and close support type...

This aircraft was highly maneuverable at low altitude, and substantially faster than any of it's rivals, and faster than most fighters of the era. Unfortunately, it was structurally limited to less than 4G's positive, and it's landing gear was deemed unsuited for "unimproved" airfields.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:14 AM
wingspar

A-26 invader?

Dave
Old 12-10-2010, 10:39 AM
glasscock

Douglas A-1 Skyraider

DG
Old 12-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Yeah I'm going to say the A-26 too.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:32 AM
proptop

No, no, and no...

This aircraft was rather unusual in it's layout...
It was made "famous" as a star in a movie...although it's name and numerical designation were changed...(you know...Hollywood and artistic liscense )
William Holden, and a then unknown new guy named James Garner were it's "test pilots"
Old 12-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

XB-51

In 1950, the United States Air Force issued a new requirement based on early Korean war experience for a night intruder/bomber to replace the A-26 Invader. The XB-51 was entered, as well as the Avro Canada CF-100 and the English Electric Canberra. The Canberra and XB-51 emerged as the favorites. The XB-51 was a highly maneuverable aircraft at low level, and substantially faster than the Canberra (its "turn-of-speed" was faster than most fighter aircraft of the era[3]). However, its load limiting factor of only 3.67 g (36 m/s2) restricted tight turns, and the XB-51's endurance was substantially poorer than the Canberra's; this latter proved to be the deciding factor. Additionally, the tandem main gear plus outriggers of the XB-51 was thought unsuitable for the requirement to fly from emergency forward airfields.

The Canberra was selected for procurement and the XB-51 program ended. Martin did not end up the loser, however, for they were selected to build the 250 Canberras ordered under the designation B-57A. Furthermore, the rotating bomb bay was incorporated in the B-57. A proposed B-57 Super-Canberra also included XB-51 features, such as swept wing and tailplane. In the end it was never built, mainly because it was a new design and would have taken too long to put in production, although it promised much better speed and performance.[2]

Flight testing for research purposes continued after program cancellation. The second prototype, 46-686, which first flew in 1950, crashed on 9 May 1952 during low-level aerobatics. The first prototype, 46-685 continued to fly, including appearing in the film Toward the Unknown as the "Gilbert fighter",[5] then continuing its aerodynamic and weapons-handling tests until it crashed during takeoff on 25 March 1956.[
Old 12-10-2010, 12:10 PM
proptop

You got it Glacier Girl...Martin XB-51

Toward The Unknown...great movie...1956...has pretty much the entire Air Force inventory in it.

The XB-51 was called the Gilbert 120

http://www.bellx-2.com/ttu/gallery/albums.php

http://bellx-2.com/ttu/gallery/album04

Your turn GG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.