Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 06-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

ORIGINAL: P-51B

Thanks for stepping in Ernie. I am having some computer issues. Hopefully resolved soon.

Heck, its better this way anyway...you always have great questions!
I don't know about always having great questions, but I'll gladly (and gratefully) accept the compliment. Here are a couple more clues to keep things moving. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What aircraft scored the last aerial victory of WWI?

Clues:

(1) It wasn’t the famed Fokker D-7.

(2) It wasn’t the renowned Sopwith Camel or noted S.E.5, either.

(3) It made use of an older, perhaps even obsolescent, engine.

(4) It performed well because it was light, (for the day) low drag and well designed.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Ernie P.

Hmmmm...... I rather thought you guys would have jumped all over this by now. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) It performed well because it was light, (for the day) low drag and well designed.

(5) It was noted for being quite fast, and rather difficult to see.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:51 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fokker D-8
Old 06-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: a65l

Fokker D-8

Right you are, Sir. And, you are up! Take it away, a651. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) It was noted for being quite fast, and rather difficult to see.

(6) Only a few hundred were produced.

(7) A small handful served with a new air force after WWI.

(8) The fuselage was steel tube.

(9) This aircraft not only scored the last kill of WWI, it scored the first kill of the new air force mentioned in (7).

Answer: The Fokker D-8 “Flying Razor”.

In early 1918, Fokker produced several rotary-powered monoplane prototypes. Of these, Fokker submitted the V.26 and V.28, small parasol-winged monoplanes with his usual steel-tube fuselages, for the second fighter trials at Adlershof in May/June 1918. The V.28 was tested with both the 108 kW (145 hp) Oberursel UR.III and 119 kW (160 hp) Goebel Goe.III, though neither of these engines were ready for operational service. The V.26 utilized the standard Oberursel UR.II engine, producing only 82 kW (110 hp). While this engine was obsolete, the V.26's low drag and light weight meant that it was nevertheless quite fast. The Fokker designs were only barely beaten by the Siemens-Schuckert D.III with the complex bi-rotary Siemens-Halske Sh.III engine.
In the end, the V.26 was ordered into production as the Fokker E.V. Four hundred were ordered immediately with either the UR.III or Goe.III. Because neither engine was available in any quantity, all production examples mounted the UR.II.
The first production E.V aircraft were shipped to Jasta 6 in late July. The new monoplane was also delivered to Jasta 1, Jasta 19, Jasta 24 and Jasta 36. Leutnant Emil Rolff scored the first kill in an E.V on August 17, 1918, but two days later he was killed when his aircraft's wing collapsed in flight. After another E.V of Jasta 19 crashed, the Idflieg grounded all E.V aircraft. Pending the investigation of these wing failures, production ceased at the Fokker Flugzeugwerke. According to Fokker, the wing failures were caused by the army technical bureau, which had forced him to modify the original design by over-strengthening the rear main spar. This faulty design allegedly caused the wing to twist and fail. Fokker claimed that this defect was resolved by reverting to his original design.
According to most other accounts, the source of the wing failures lay not in the design, but in shoddy and rushed construction. Fokker had subcontracted construction of the E.V wings to the Gebrüder Perzina Pianoforte Fabrik factory. Due to poor quality control, the spar "caps", forming the upper and lower members of each spar assembly, had been placed too far apart during the fabrication. Because the resulting spars were vertically too large to pass through the ribs, excess material was simply planed away from the exposed upper and lower surfaces of the cap pieces, leaving the assembled spars dangerously weak. Other problems included water damage to glued parts, and pins that splintered the spars, rather than securing them.[1]
Tests showed that when properly constructed, the original E.V wing had a considerable margin of safety. Satisfied that the basic design was safe, the Idflieg authorized continued production after personnel changes and improved quality control measures at the Perzina factory.
Deliveries resumed in October. At the suggestion of the Kogenluft (Kommandierenden General der Luftstreitkräfte), the Idflieg redesignated the modified aircraft D.VIII. Henceforth, the "E." and "Dr." designations were abolished and all fighters received the "D." appellation. The first new examples of the D.VIII started arriving at frontline units late that month and started operations on the 24 October with Jasta 11.
Jasta 5 was issued a D.VIII. The famed ace Erich Lowenhardt used the aircraft for a short time and scored a few victories in it, but he continued to favor the Fokker D.VII.
A total of 289 aircraft were produced. Some reached Holland, Italy, Japan, the United States, and England as trophies, but most were scrapped in accordance with the terms of the Armistice.
[edit] Postwar
The Polish Air Force captured 17 aircraft, but only seven (six E.V and one D.VIII) were in airworthy condition. All were used against Soviet forces in the Polish-Soviet War of 1919-1920. Lieutenant Stefan Stec earned the first kill for the Polish Air Force by shooting down a Ukrainian Nieuport fighter on 29 April 1919. In 1921, the remaining Fokkers were withdrawn from frontline units and transferred to the Szkoła Obsługi Lotniczej (Air Personnel School) at Poznań-Ławica airfield.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 PM
a65l

Kind of an easy one for me, I had highlighted the D8 some months ago..

Just for a little backstory, back in the autumn/winter of 1986 I was serving on the USS John F. Kennedy with VF-14. We were on a Med cruise, and a day out from making port in a large Mediterranian country that our subject airplane was designed and built in. The weather was really rough, high winds, low clouds, but here and there patches of blue sky appeared. We weren't flying, I was up on deck doing some maintenance when I heard an airplane. Through one of those openings in the clouds this airplane appeared, making a low pass. So having given a clue as to when this airplane served,

1. It was developed from an earlier plane with a different mission.
2. It served its country for over 40 years.
3. It was bought and operated by only one other country.

And let me apologize in advance if I'm slow in getting up replies tomorrow, I'm going to be doing a little aviating myself.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Ernie P.

Kind of an easy one for me, I had highlighted the D8 some months ago..

Just for a little backstory, back in the autumn/winter of 1986 I was serving on the USS John F. Kennedy with VF-14. We were on a Med cruise, and a day out from making port in a large Mediterranian country that our subject airplane was designed and built in. The weather was really rough, high winds, low clouds, but here and there patches of blue sky appeared. We weren't flying, I was up on deck doing some maintenance when I heard an airplane. Through one of those openings in the clouds this airplane appeared, making a low pass. So having given a clue as to when this airplane served,

1. It was developed from an earlier plane with a different mission.
2. It served its country for over 40 years.
3. It was bought and operated by only one other country.

And let me apologize in advance if I'm slow in getting up replies tomorrow, I'm going to be doing a little aviating myself.
Well, seeing no other takers... How about France as the Meditterranian Country; and The Breguet Br. 1050 Alize ASW aircraft, based on the Vultur attack aircraft, as the plane? It was also operated by the Indian Navy. Were you doing a joint exercise with the French? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Breguet Br.1050 Alizé (French: "Tradewind") was a French carrier-based anti-submarine warfare aircraft. It was developed in the 1950s, based loosely on the prototype Breguet Vultur attack aircraft.

The Alizé was a low-wing monoplane of conventional configuration. It had a CSF radar system with a retractable antenna dome in its belly. The cockpit accommodated a crew of three, including pilot, radar operator, and sensor operator. The pilot was seated in front on the right, the radar operator in front on the left, and the sensor operator sat sideways behind them. The landing gear was of tricycle configuration, with the main gear retracting backwards into nacelles in the wings. The main gear had dual wheels, and the front part of the nacelles accommodated sonobuoys. The Alizé had a yoke-style arresting hook.

The internal weapons bay could accommodate a homing torpedo or depth charges, and underwing stores pylons could carry bombs, depth charges, rockets, or missiles. Typical underwing stores included 68 mm (2.68 in) rocket pods or AS.12 wire-guided antiship missiles.

Role Anti-submarine aircraft

Manufacturer Breguet Aviation

First flight 6 October 1956
Introduced 29 May 1959
Retired 2000

Primary users Aviation Navale
Indian Navy

Produced 1957-1962
Number built 89

Old 07-01-2011, 04:39 AM
a65l

I gotta come up with some more obscure airplanes. Nicely done....

We spent some time shorebased at the French Navy base at Hyeres, France. Saw a lot of those ungainly looking little birds.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Ernie P.

We spent some time shorebased at the French Navy base at Hyeres, France. Saw a lot of those ungainly looking little birds.
Hey; a little credit here please, a651. I thought the Tradewind WAS obscure. It took me a while to reason that one out. And, it wasn't easy. The big step was a simple analysis of just who the "large Mediterranean country" might be. Once I remembered France borders the Med, the rest fell into place pretty quickly. But, if you want obscure.... Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What WWII aircraft do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Really, really, fast for a propeller driven aircraft.

(2) Only two prototypes were completed. Testing results were so impressive, with such exceptional performance, an order was placed for 100 production aircraft.

(3) The order was cancelled, because it was felt other types of aircraft were needed more.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Ernie P.

Just teasing, a651. I thought it was a very good question, especially with the way you tied in the personal observations. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Ernie P.

Last clue for the evening. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(2) Only two prototypes were completed. Testing results were so impressive, with such exceptional performance, an order was placed for 100 production aircraft.

(3) The order was cancelled, because it was felt other types of aircraft were needed more.

(4) This aircraft was to be an interceptor; and it was decided priority must be given to longer range fighters.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dornier 335?
Old 07-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooops, more than two prototypes were made of the 335 I think...
Old 07-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: Mein Duff

Ooops, more than two prototypes were made of the 335 I think...
Yeah; I'm pretty sure the 335 was in the early stages of production early in 1945. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:48 AM
Ernie P.

First clue of the day. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(4) This aircraft was to be an interceptor; and it was decided priority must be given to longer range fighters.

(5) Power, a lot of it, was delivered by an experimental liquid cooled radial engine.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:47 AM
a65l

Kyushu j7w
Old 07-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Ernie P.

Kyushu j7w
No; but a really, really good guess. Here's a late morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) Power, a lot of it, was delivered by an experimental liquid cooled radial engine.

(6) The first prototype flew for the first time in early 1944. The second prototype flew in mid 1944.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Ernie P.

And an early afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(6) The first prototype flew for the first time in early 1944. The second prototype flew in mid 1944.

(7) The second prototype used a contra-rotating propeller.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:38 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm visualizing a German plane, twin contra-rotating pusher props, developed at the end of WWII. I think it was a Heinkel... I can't seem to find the designation.

Bob
Old 07-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Ernie P.

And a late afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(8) A new generation of turbojet powered interceptors was on the horizon by the end of WWII, so this promising new interceptor was relegated to the scrapheap.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

I'm visualizing a German plane, twin contra-rotating pusher props, developed at the end of WWII. I think it was a Heinkel... I can't seem to find the designation.

Bob
Could this be what you remember? Thanks; Ernie P.

Henschel Hs P.75

This 1941 aircraft design was to be a possible successor to the Messerschmitt Bf 110 heavy fighter. Although of a unusual configuration for that time, there were advantages (and disadvantages) to its rear wing/forward canard construction.
The Hs P.75 featured a tapered fuselage, with the slightly swept-back wings being mounted mid-fuselage and set back to the rear of the aircraft. The widened fuselage was designed to house the Daimler Benz DB 610 engine, which were two DB 605 engines joined side-by-side, just aft of the cockpit. These were the same engines that the Heinkel He 177 used, and were found to be prone to overheating and catching fire.Due to this development, they were changed in 1942 to the liquid-cooled, 24 cylinder Daimler Benz DB 613 engines (two coupled DB 603s) that produced 3500 horsepower. Both engine configurations were to drive contrarotating propellers (to offset tourque) of a 3.2m (10' 6") diameter via an extension shaft. There were a pair of swept-back canards located on the nose of the aircraft, that were to serve the purpose of elevators. The vertical tail unit was mounted beneath the fuselage, so that it could act as a tail bumper upon takeoff so that the propellers would not strike the ground. Since the propellers were located at the rear in a pusher configuration, a tricycle landing gear arrangement was chosen. Fuel was contained in three tanks, one in each wing and one behind the cockpit. A single pilot sat in the cockpit which was located about midway along the fuselage, and four Mk 108 30mm cannons were mounted in the nose.
The advantages of the pusher propeller/forward canard design was that it opened up the pilot's view, plus the weapons installation was much simplified and could be concentrated. The disadvantages would be engine cooling plus an ejecction system or propeller jettison would have to be designed for the pilot to safely exit the plane in case of an emergency.
This basic design was realized in several WWII aircraft designs, notably the Kyushu J7W1 Shinden and Curtiss XP-55 Ascender . Although good results were obtained with a model in the windtunnel, this design was not followed up.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:45 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks, Ernie. That reminds me a lot of the plane that I remember. The detail on the canard is a little fuzzy, but I think that's the plane... No matter what I did to google it up, I just couldn't find that configuration. Thanks!!

Bob
Old 07-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Ernie P.

ORIGINAL: N1EDM

Thanks, Ernie. That reminds me a lot of the plane that I remember. The detail on the canard is a little fuzzy, but I think that's the plane... No matter what I did to google it up, I just couldn't find that configuration. Thanks!!

Bob
My pleasure, Sir. I figured it was the right plane. It was pretty much the only German pusher of the era that fit. How about another clue for the evening? Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(8) A new generation of turbojet powered interceptors was on the horizon by the end of WWII, so this promising new interceptor was relegated to the scrapheap.

(9) The engine produced over 3,000 HP, and weighed nearly two tons.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:09 AM
Ernie P.

Early morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(10) The prototype reached 480 MPH, even though the planned remote supercharger had not yet been installed. The supercharged 3,650 HP engine was expected to exceed 500 MPH easily; and a planned 4,000+ HP engine was expected to yield over 540 MPH.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:52 AM
a65l

The XP-72 meets most of your requirements, but the engine is a little light.... and down on horsepower
Old 07-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Ernie P.

The XP-72 meets most of your requirements, but the engine is a little light.... and down on horsepower

There you go, a651. You got it, and you're up! The reason the horsepower seems low is the prototypes used the first, unsupercharged, engine. And, I should have said "over" a ton, rather than "nearly" two tons. My error, sorry. There were two more versions of the engine waiting in the wings, Check out planned clue (10). Take it away, Sir. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(10) The prototype reached 480 MPH, even though the planned remote supercharger had not yet been installed. The supercharged 3,650 HP engine was expected to exceed 500 MPH easily; and a planned 4,000+ HP engine was expected to yield over 540 MPH.

(11) This was a derivative, or development of, a very well known and successful WWII fighter.

Answer: The Republic XP-72

The Republic XP-72 was an American prototype interceptor fighter developed as a progression of the P-47 Thunderbolt design. The XP-72 was designed around the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 twenty-eight cylinder radial air-cooled engine with a supercharger mounted behind the pilot and driven by an extension shaft from the engine. The armament consisted of six 0.5 in wing-mounted machine guns and underwing racks for two 1,000 lb bombs.

Design and development
The XP-72 development paralleled that of another Republic design, the XP-69 that was to be powered by an experimental forty-two cylinder Wright R-2160 radial engine mounted behind the pilot and driving contra-rotating propellers through an extension shaft. The XP-69 was intended for high altitude operations and featured a pressurized cockpit and armament of two 37 mm cannon and four 0.5 in machine guns. As the XP-72 displayed greater promise than the XP-69, the XP-69 was canceled on 11 May 1943 and an order for two XP-72 prototypes was placed on 18 June 1943.

Operational history
The XP-72 flew for the first time on 2 February 1944, equipped with a four-bladed propeller. The second prototype was completed on 26 June 1944 and was equipped with an Aero-Products contra-rotating propeller. As the XP-72 displayed exceptional performance during flight tests an order for 100 production aircraft was awarded. The order included an alternate armament configuration of four 37 mm cannon. By this time the war had progressed to where the need was for long-range escort fighters and not high-speed interceptors. Also, the advent of the new turbojet-powered interceptors showed greater promise for the interceptor role. Thus, the production order for the P-72 was cancelled.

General characteristics
Crew: One
Length: 36 ft 7 in (11.15 m)
Wingspan: 40 ft 11 in (12.47 m)
Height: 16 ft (4.88 m)
Wing area: 300 ft² (27.9 m²)
Empty weight: 11,476 lb (5,216 kg)
Loaded weight: 14,433 lb (6,560 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 17,490 lb (7,950 kg)
Powerplant: 1× Pratt & Whitney R-4360-13 radial engine, 3,000 hp @ sea level (dash 13 engine) (2,574 kW)

Performance
Maximum speed: 480 mph[1][N 1] (789 km/h at sea level)
Range: 1,200 miles (1,932 km)
Service ceiling: 42,000 ft (12,805 m)
Rate of climb: 5,280 ft/min (26.8 m/s)
Wing loading: 48.1 lb/ft² (235 kg/m²)
Power/mass: 0.24 hp/lb (0.39 kW/kg)
Armament
6× 0.50 in Browning machine guns

Notes
1. ^ Note: Test pilot Tom Bellinger stated flatly that the no flights ever exceeded 500 mph. The dash 13 engine was not supercharged. With the planned but never installed dash 19 engine (with a remote supercharger) rated at 3,650 HP at 25,000 ft. (3,000 HP at sea level) a top speed of 504 mph at approximately 25,000 feet was expected. Planned further development of the dash 19 engine was expected to yield approx 4,000 hp and a speed of 540 mph at 25,000 ft.

The Wright R-2160 Tornado was an experimental 42-cylinder, 6-row liquid-cooled aircraft engine. It was proposed in 1940 of 2,350 hp (1,752 kW) for experimental aircraft such as the Republic XP-69.
General characteristics
Type: 42 cylinder radial engine. 6 rows, 7 cylinders per row
Bore: 4.25 in (107.9 mm)
Stroke: 3.625 in (92 mm)
Displacement: 2,160 in³ (35.39 l)
Length: 96 in (2438 mm)
Diameter: 35.5 in (901.6 mm)
Dry weight: 2,400 lb (1088.6 kg)

Components
Valvetrain: Pushrod, two valves per cylinder
Supercharger: 2 x Turbosuperchargers
Fuel system: Direct injection
Fuel type: 100/130
Oil system: Dry sump
Cooling system: Liquid cooled
Performance
Power output: 2,350 hp (1,752 kW)
Specific power: 1.08 hp/in³
Power-to-weight ratio: 0.97 hp/lb

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.