Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 PM
a65l
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Hun = F-100.

John "Forty Second" Boyd.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:53 PM
F2G-1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: a65l

Hun = F-100.

John ''Forty Second'' Boyd.

Happy New Year Everyone!

Right on!! your up a651.

Ted
Old 12-31-2011, 09:26 PM
a65l

Hehe. Last correct answer for 2011. First question for 2012....

Looking for an airplane.

1. Although the original prototypes were slower than desired, they were still faster than contemporary fighter aircraft, and an initial production batch was ordered.
2. The performance of the later production planes was such that a successor aircraft was cancelled
3. Late in its career it was modified for a role it was not originally intended for, but it was not very successful in this role
Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 AM
a65l

Looking for an airplane.

1. Although the original prototypes were slower than desired, they were still faster than contemporary fighter aircraft, and an initial production batch was ordered.
2. The performance of the later production planes was such that a successor aircraft was cancelled
3. Late in its career it was modified for a role it was not originally intended for, but it was not very successful in this role
4. One of the teething problems this type faced was weak landing gear, prone to collapsing on hard landings, which were common given its high wing loading
5. For the most part, this aircraft operated with impunity, even in the face of improving opposition aircraft
Old 01-01-2012, 10:16 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Supermarine Spitfire
Old 01-01-2012, 01:39 PM
a65l

Interesting guess, but no..

Looking for an airplane.

4. One of the teething problems this type faced was weak landing gear, prone to collapsing on hard landings, which were common given its high wing loading
5. For the most part, this aircraft operated with impunity, even in the face of improving opposition aircraft
6. It was a very studied aircraft aerodynamically, and considered to have some of the finest lines of its era
Old 01-01-2012, 03:31 PM
mobyal

ME-262
Old 01-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking for an airplane.

6. It was a very studied aircraft aerodynamically, and considered to have some of the finest lines of its era
Am I being overly sceptical; or is there room to believe this could be, say, a recon bird? a651 didn't say it was a fighter; he simply said it was faster than contemporary fighter aircraft. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:37 PM
a65l

I gave it away with that last clue, didn't I?

Might perhaps be a bomber, too....

Looking for an airplane.

7. Its crew layout was dictated more by design requirements than any nod to crew efficiency
Old 01-01-2012, 04:40 PM
The Raven

I gave it away with that last clue, didn't I?

Might perhaps be a bomber, too....

Looking for an airplane.

7. Its crew layout was dictated more by design requirements than any nod to crew efficiency
B-24?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:56 PM
F2G-1

me 262?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:13 AM
F2G-1

Martin B-10?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:15 AM
Old Erkki

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mosquito

Old Erkki
Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 AM
a65l

All good guesses, but not there yet....

Looking for an airplane.

8. The first variant carried a single machine gun as defensive armament, but it was removed in later versions
9. The performance of these aircraft made them difficult to catch, but once caught, sluggish manuverability and lack of self sealing fuel tanks and armor made them easy prey
Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 AM
perttime

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: perttime

Supermarine Spitfire
If I try, I can make the first half a dozen clues fit the Spitfire

Clue 9 makes me think of something Japanese...
Old 01-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Ernie P.

All good guesses, but not there yet....

Looking for an airplane.

8. The first variant carried a single machine gun as defensive armament, but it was removed in later versions
9. The performance of these aircraft made them difficult to catch, but once caught, sluggish manuverability and lack of self sealing fuel tanks and armor made them easy prey
Long enough. The Dinah. Thanks; Ernie P.

The Mitsubishi Ki-46 was a twin-engine reconnaissance aircraft used by the Imperial Japanese Army in World War II. Its Army Shiki designation was Type 100 Command Reconnaissance Aircraft (δΈ€γ€‡γ€‡εΌεΈδ»€ιƒ¨ε΅ε―Ÿζ©Ÿ); the Allied nickname was "Dinah".
On 12 December 1937, the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force issued a specification to Mitsubishi for a long-range strategic reconnaissance aircraft to replace the Mitsubishi Ki-15. The specification demanded an endurance of six hours and sufficient speed to evade interception by any fighter in existence or development, but otherwise did not constrain the design.

The resulting design was a twin-engined, low-winged monoplane with a retractable tailwheel undercarriage. It had a small diameter oval fuselage which accommodated a crew of two, with pilot and observer situated in individual cockpits separated by a large fuel tank. Further fuel tanks were situated in the thin wings both inboard and outboard of the engines, giving a total fuel capacity of 1,490 L (328 imperial gallons). The engines, two Mitsubishi Ha-26, were housed in close fitting cowlings developed by the Aeronautical Research Institute of the Tokyo Imperial University to reduce drag and improve pilot view.

The first prototype aircraft, with the designation Ki-46, flew in November 1939 from the Mitsubishi factory at Kakamigahara, Gifu, north of Nagoya.[3] Tests showed that the Ki-46 was underpowered, and slower than required, only reaching 540 km/h (336 mph) rather than the specified 600 km/h (373 mph). Otherwise, the aircraft tests were successful. As the type was still faster than the Army's latest fighter, the Nakajima Ki-43, as well as the Navy's new A6M2, an initial production batch was ordered as the Army Type 100 Command Reconnaissance Plane Model 1 (Ki-41-I).
To solve the performance problems, Mitsubishi fitted Ha-102 engines, which were Ha-26s fitted with a two stage supercharger, while increasing fuel capacity and reducing empty weight to give the Ki-46-II, flying in March 1941. This met the speed requirements of the original specification, and was ordered into full-scale production, with deliveries starting in July.

Although at first the Ki-46 proved almost immune from interception, the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force realised that improved Allied fighters such as the Supermarine Spitfire and P-38 Lightning could challenge this superiority, and in July 1942, it instructed Mitsubishi to produce a further improved version, the Ki-46-III. This had more powerful, fuel-injected Mitsubishi Ha-112 engines, and a redesigned nose, with a fuel tank ahead of the pilot and a new canopy, smoothly faired from the extreme nose of the aircraft, eliminating the "step" of the earlier versions. The single defensive machine gun of the earlier aircraft was also omitted. The new version first flew in December 1942, demonstrating significantly higher speed (630 km/h (391 mph) at 6,000 m (19,700 ft). The performance of the Ki-46-III, proved superior to that of the aircraft intended to replace it (the Tachikawa Ki-70), which as a result did not enter production.

In an attempt to yet further improve the altitude performance of the Ki-46, two prototypes were fitted with exhaust driven turbosupercharged Ha-112-II-Ru engines, flying in February 1944, but only two prototypes of this version were built.
Mitsubishi factories made a total of 1,742 examples of all versions (34 units Ki-46-I, 1093 units Ki-46-II, 613 units Ki-46-III, 4 units Ki-46-IVοΌ‰during 1941-44.
This aircraft was first used by the Japanese Army in Manchukuo and China, where seven units were equipped with it, and also at times by the Japanese Imperial Navy in certain reconnaissance missions over the northern coasts of Australia and New Guinea.

The Japanese Army used this aircraft for the same type of missions (which were not authorized) over present-day Malaysia during the months before the Pacific War. Later, it was used over Burma, Indochina and Thailand, and in operations over the Indian Ocean.
In 1944-45, during the last days of the war, it was modified as a high-altitude interceptor, with two 20 mm cannons in the nose and one 37 mm (1.46 in) cannon in an "upwards-and-forwards" position - almost like the Luftwaffe's SchrΓ€ge Musik night fighter cannon emplacements - for fighting USAAF B-29 Superfortresses over the metropolitan Japanese islands. It lacked stability for sustained shooting of the 37 mm (1.46 in) weapon, had only a thin layer of armour plating, lacked self-sealing fuel tanks, and was slow to climb.

The Ki-46 was also assigned to two whole Sentai (wings/groups), as well as individual Chutaicho (junior operational commanders) in the Imperial Japanese Army Air Service, during the Pacific War.
The Allies captured some examples during the conflict for evaluations.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Ernie P.

Long enough. The Dinah. Thanks; Ernie P.

My apologies if that sounded a bit abrupt. I was hurrying to dinner and didn't take time to read it over. Perhaps a better wording might have been "Okay; time to get this riddle solved". Again, my apologies. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:05 PM
a65l

Quite allright. "Dinah with the fine Linah" was one of the menonics for the airplane used by allied fliers, I kind of thought that the clue about the lines would give it away. One of a few aircraft that can claim to have served throughout the entire war.
You're up Ernie...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78520.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1708873  
Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Ernie P.

Quite allright. ''Dinah with the fine Linah'' was one of the menonics for the airplane used by allied fliers, I kind of thought that the clue about the lines would give it away. One of a few aircraft that can claim to have served throughout the entire war.
You're up Ernie...
Thank you, Sir. A good question about a very fast plane. Since I will be out until late this evening, why don't we start with a few extra clues? Thanks; Ernie P.

This is the story of a new twist on an old type of aircraft. It was ultimately deemed unnecessary; but early on it looked like a good way to solve a problem that might have been very difficult. In the end, other ways were found to solve the problem. But, in the beginning, who knew how things would work out?

Question:

Clues:

(1) It never entered true production, but a number of production aircraft were ordered even before the prototype had flown.

(2) It was intended to be a means of solving a problem encountered early in the jet age.

(3) In the end, it was not needed. Other means were discovered to solve the problem.

(4) But it was the fastest of its type ever built.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:20 PM
F2G-1

I feel like we're playing stump the chump.

I'm thinking North American XB-70 Valkyrie?

ORIGINAL: Ernie P.

Quite allright. ''Dinah with the fine Linah'' was one of the menonics for the airplane used by allied fliers, I kind of thought that the clue about the lines would give it away. One of a few aircraft that can claim to have served throughout the entire war.
You're up Ernie...
Thank you, Sir. A good question about a very fast plane. Since I will be out until late this evening, why don't we start with a few extra clues? Thanks; Ernie P.

This is the story of a new twist on an old type of aircraft. It was ultimately deemed unnecessary; but early on it looked like a good way to solve a problem that might have been very difficult. In the end, other ways were found to solve the problem. But, in the beginning, who knew how things would work out?

Question:

Clues:

(1) It never entered true production, but a number of production aircraft were ordered even before the prototype had flown. ICBM's and SAMS evolved.
(2) It was intended to be a means of solving a problem encountered early in the jet age. Deep penetration

(3) In the end, it was not needed. Other means were discovered to solve the problem.see #1
(4) But it was the fastest of its type ever built. mach 3+
Old 01-03-2012, 04:28 PM
a65l

XF-84H
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Ernie P.

No correct answers thus far. Sorry for being slow, guys. Today was a (another) very long day. I'll post two new clues to catch up a bit. This was a very unique warbird, indeed. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question:

Clues:

(1) It never entered true production, but a number of production aircraft were ordered even before the prototype had flown.

(2) It was intended to be a means of solving a problem encountered early in the jet age.

(3) In the end, it was not needed. Other means were discovered to solve the problem.

(5) Even launching from a submarine was considered for this bird.

(6) More than one country was interested in the concept.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 AM
Ernie P.

A morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question:

Clues:

(7) It was a unique fighter.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 AM
a65l

XF-85?

(I'm really not planning on just running them down in numerical order)
Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Ernie P.

XF-85?

(I'm really not planning on just running them down in numerical order)
It doesn't cost anything to guess; and some one has to be right eventually. But no. Keep trying. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question:

Clues:

(7) It was a unique fighter.

(8) And it did something no other of its type had accomplished, either before or since.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.