Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:25 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by uncljoe
Chuck Yeager

Not Chuck Yeager, but here's a bonus clue to keep things moving. Thanks; Ernie P.

Question: What warbird pilot do I describe?

Clues:

(1) Like almost all noted aces, he was a natural marksman. Unlike many, he was also a naturally gifted pilot.

(2) And like most very successful aces, he practiced incessantly.

(3) He also did exercises to improve his eyesight and to sharpen his reflexes.

(4) Early in his conflict, he was engaged by an enemy pilot who was obviously an exceptionally skilled marksman. That enemy pilot made several difficult deflection shots which shot away his controls. So, he bailed out behind enemy lines and walked back to friendly territory.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

George Beurling??

Ken
Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by RCKen
George Beurling??

Ken

Not Beurling; but a good guess. Here's another clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(1) Like almost all noted aces, he was a natural marksman. Unlike many, he was also a naturally gifted pilot.

(4) Early in his conflict, he was engaged by an enemy pilot who was obviously an exceptionally skilled marksman. That enemy pilot made several difficult deflection shots which shot away his controls. So, he bailed out behind enemy lines and walked back to friendly territory.

(5) The exact number of his victories is difficult to prove, because some records were lost due to wartime exigencies. However, his total was impressive; perhaps doubly so. His victories during one period were recorded in a diary of a mechanic, and these are often added to his score.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(5) The exact number of his victories is difficult to prove, because some records were lost due to wartime exigencies. However, his total was impressive; perhaps doubly so. His victories during one period were recorded in a diary of a mechanic, and these are often added to his score.

(6) He is credited with being the highest scoring ace in two different aircraft.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:35 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(6) He is credited with being the highest scoring ace in two different aircraft.

(7) The man who shot him down was himself a noted ace.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(8) More than one person considered him to be the best pilot of his conflict.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Werner Voss?
Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Mein Duff
Werner Voss?

Not Voss, Mein Duff; but here's a bonus clue for a good guess. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(9) He was noted for not over stressing his aircraft, but yet getting all the performance the plane could give.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:48 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Manfred von Richthofen???

Ken
Old 09-12-2013, 04:56 AM
Ernie P.

Manfred von Richthofen???

Ken

No, not the Baron. Maybe this will help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(9) He was noted for not over stressing his aircraft, but yet getting all performance the plane could give.

(10) He was shot down and killed on a day he should not have been flying, because of illness. He had been ordered not to fly unless absolutely necessary, but flew anyhow. Suffering from exhaustion and fever, he may simply have been unfit to fly his last mission.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(9) He was noted for not over stressing his aircraft, but yet getting all performance the plane could give.

(10) He was shot down and killed on a day he should not have been flying, because of illness. He had been ordered not to fly unless absolutely necessary, but flew anyhow. Suffering from exhaustion and fever, he may simply have been unfit to fly his last mission.

(11) He flew, and scored victories, in both biplanes and monoplanes.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:58 PM
psb667

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mannock
Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Ernie P.

No correct answers thus far, but here's a morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(12) After being shot down (see (4) above), he spent two days reaching his airfield. Two days later, he shot down two enemy aircraft.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Mein Duff

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Albert Ball?...not sure about the monoplane bit though
Old 09-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Mein Duff
Albert Ball?...not sure about the monoplane bit though

No, not Albert Ball; although he did down at least one Fokker monoplane. Here's an evening clue to guide you. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(12) After being shot down (see (4) above), he spent two days reaching his airfield. Two days later, he shot down two enemy aircraft.

(13) Some of his victims were flying biplanes.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 09-13-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Ernie P.

Trying to post a morning clue, but "Control V" isn't working. Thanks; Ernie P.

(14) And some were flying monoplanes.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 09-15-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Ernie P.

Clues:

(15) His entire active fighting career, from his first combat to his death, spanned only seven months.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:50 PM
psb667

Gritsevets
Old 09-15-2013, 02:07 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by psb667
Gritsevets

No, not Sergei. This should help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(15) His entire active fighting career, from his first combat to his death, spanned only seven months.

(16) He died going to the aid of a fellow flier under attack. His own aircraft was last seen going down with the pilot slumped at the controls.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:00 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Thomas Buchanan McGuire Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_McGuire

Ken
Old 09-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Ernie P.

Thomas Buchanan McGuire Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_McGuire

Ken

Not McGuire, despite the obvious similarities. This should help. Thanks; Ernie P.

Clues:

(16) He died going to the aid of a fellow flier under attack. His own aircraft was last seen going down with the pilot slumped at the controls.

(17) He shot down several Bf 109s.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:27 AM
adavis

[h=1]Marmaduke Pattle?[/h]
Best Regards,
=Adrian=
Old 09-16-2013, 05:20 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by adavis
Marmaduke Pattle?

Best Regards,
=Adrian=

And Adrian scores again! Right you are, Sir; Marmaduke Thomas St. John "Pat" Pattle, DFC & Bar, is thought by some to be the highest scoring Allied ace of WWII. His actual score could be as high as 51, but was almost certainly in the area of 40 or more. His score is all the more remarkable, given his relatively short combat time prior to his death. Unfortunately, I am unable to use "control C", so can not post actual details; but they are freely available on the web. You are up, Sir. What is your question for us? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Ernie P.

Adavis; you are up, Adrian. What is your question for us? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Ernie P.

Adrian; please post your question. Thanks; Ernie P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.