Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 06-16-2018, 08:26 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got nothing here. Anyone else come up with a question?
Old 06-17-2018, 02:00 AM
Kiwi-al

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work guys, Learn something new every time, Thanks
Old 06-17-2018, 11:23 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Kiwi-al View Post
Great work guys, Learn something new every time, Thanks
Thank you, Sir. Please feel free to join in, answer questions and ask your own.

All; if no one else comes up with a question, I will post something this evening. I'd really like to see a new person ask a question, though. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:38 PM
Ernie P.

Seeing no takers, it looks as though you all will be putting up with me again. From a relatively unknown pilot to an aircraft meeting the same description. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft was designed to fulfill a single, limited and very specific mission.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:58 AM
Ernie P.

A couple of morning clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft was designed to fulfill a single, limited and very specific mission.

2. In fact, it could have performed that complete mission during a single, successful strike.

3. Had it been successful in that single strike, it would have fulfilled its entire reason for being designed and built in that one strike.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:21 AM
JohnnyS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Bomber
Old 06-18-2018, 07:00 AM
jimharley

The Baka bomb?

Jim
Old 06-18-2018, 07:16 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amerika bomber? If you want a specific model let's go with the Horten H.XVIII

Old 06-18-2018, 08:04 AM
CF105

Aichi M6A Seiran

intended for an air strike against the Panama Canal.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:08 AM
Ernie P.

Some very good and interesting, though incorrect, answers. The guess by CF105 was very good, even though not correct, because it highlights the idea of a single strike, by a single aircraft, that would fulfill the intended mission. So, to reward all this participation, here's a few extra clues that should be telling. Thanks; Ernie P.

2. In fact, it could have performed that complete mission during a single, successful strike.

3. Had it been successful in that single strike, it would have fulfilled its entire reason for being designed and built in that one strike.

4. And that one strike could have been flown by the single aircraft of its type produced. Yes; only one was ever produced.

5. And, oddly enough, that single strike would have been performed during peacetime.

6. It was an experimental aircraft.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Ernie P.

An afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

4. And that one strike could have been flown by the single aircraft of its type produced. Yes; only one was ever produced.

5. And, oddly enough, that single strike would have been performed during peacetime.

7. Only one was built; although two were planned. But the entire budget, and quite a bit more, was spent in producing the single plane.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:38 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to guess the Convair NB-36H or the Tu-119
Old 06-18-2018, 01:21 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
I'm going to guess the Convair NB-36H or the Tu-119
Neither, FlyerInOKC; but here's a bonus clue to reward your attempt. Thanks; Ernie P.

7. Only one was built; although two were planned. But the entire budget, and quite a bit more, was spent in producing the single plane.

8. And the company was made to pay the cost overrun themselves.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:23 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

9. The cost overruns doomed the company that built it.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:26 PM
Hydro Junkie

I was going to say the XB-70 until I re-read only one being built. The XB-70 had two completed(a third scrapped partially built) of which only one survived to be put on display at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:18 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
I was going to say the XB-70 until I re-read only one being built. The XB-70 had two completed(a third scrapped partially built) of which only one survived to be put on display at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
You are correct, Sir; it wasn't the XB-70. But here's a bonus clue for sharing your thoughts. Thanks; Ernie P.

10. Which was kind of odd in a way, because they hadn’t designed the aircraft; they just built it.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 AM
Ernie P.

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

10. Which was kind of odd in a way, because they hadn’t designed the aircraft; they just built it.

11. Interestingly enough, the designer was noted for having designed another aircraft; which crashed on its maiden voyage. And that aircraft never tried to fly again.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

11. Interestingly enough, the designer was noted for having designed another aircraft; which crashed on its maiden voyage. And that aircraft never tried to fly again.

12. That crashed aircraft was the first, and only, aircraft ever built by its manufacturer.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:22 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

12. That crashed aircraft was the first, and only, aircraft ever built by its manufacturer.

13. The designer of the crashed aircraft, and our subject aircraft, had worked for a noted aircraft design and manufacturing facility; although he isn’t generally considered to be the designer of any of the many aircraft they produced.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:16 AM
Ernie P.

A trio of morning clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

13. The designer of the crashed aircraft, and our subject aircraft, had worked for a noted aircraft design and manufacturing facility; although he isn’t generally considered to be the designer of any of the many aircraft they produced.

14. This aircraft was so large only a handful of airfields could accommodate it.

15. It was successful in many ways.

16. But also quite unsuccessful in others.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 AM
Ernie P.

And three afternoon clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

14. This aircraft was so large only a handful of airfields could accommodate it.

17. Particularly so in regards to range.

18. And in service ceiling.

19. Which wasn’t as much of a handicap as at first might be thought; since the intended target would always be located near sea level.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Ernie P.

Equal parts of evening clues. Thanks; Ernie P.

19. Which wasn’t as much of a handicap as at first might be thought; since the intended target would always be located near sea level.

20. It wasn’t long before the military realized a much smaller plane, intended as a “short range” aircraft, actually had a range of more than twice the range of this aircraft. And half the bombload.

21. At the time of its first flight, this was, by far, the heaviest aircraft in the world.

22. Even by the standards of today, it was still a large aircraft.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:59 PM
jimharley

Was it the K-7 from Russia?
Old 06-20-2018, 03:43 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by jimharley View Post
Was it the K-7 from Russia?
Not the K-7, or any of the photoshopped photos of it, Sir. But for taking your shot, you get a couple of bonus clues. Stay with us and try again, please. It's been a while since I saw your name. Thanks; Ernie P.

20. It wasn’t long before the military realized a much smaller plane, intended as a “short range” aircraft, actually had a range of more than twice the range of this aircraft. And half the bombload.

21. At the time of its first flight, this was, by far, the heaviest aircraft in the world.

22. Even by the standards of today, it was still a large aircraft.

23. It had a number of innovative features; which included a flying tail and an internal bomb bay, as befitted a bomber of its weight and size.

24. The choice of engine had been dictated by the necessity of using readily available, and surplus, engines.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:38 PM
Hydro Junkie

The XB-15 or XB-19?

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-20-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.