Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft was unfortunate enough to come into existence at the same time as a great and iconic aircraft.

2. A great and iconic aircraft that was much more favored by the pilots of the time.

3. As such, it was definitely considered “second best” by the men who flew it.

4. It was, however, at least an equal to the enemy aircraft against which it was matched.

5. Ironically, it was designed to emulate features of a current enemy aircraft.

6. The wing design of a foreign aircraft was largely emulated, if not outright copied, in the design of our subject aircraft.

7. Our subject aircraft was very strongly constructed, but was described as being somewhat heavy on the controls.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:33 PM
Ernie P.

Afternoon clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

1. This aircraft was unfortunate enough to come into existence at the same time as a great and iconic aircraft.

2. A great and iconic aircraft that was much more favored by the pilots of the time.

4. It was, however, at least an equal to the enemy aircraft against which it was matched.

6. The wing design of a foreign aircraft was largely emulated, if not outright copied, in the design of our subject aircraft.

7. Our subject aircraft was very strongly constructed, but was described as being somewhat heavy on the controls.

8. When compared with the favored aircraft, the typical comparison was that of thoroughbred horses and cart horses.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:18 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Sopwith Tri plane
Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Ernie P.

Good try, Sparky; but not the aircraft we seek. But you do get a bonus clue for your efforts. Thanks; Ernie P.

8. When compared with the favored aircraft, the typical comparison was that of thoroughbred horses and cart horses.

9. In an open competition with other potential manufacturers, another aircraft, already in production, was the clear choice of most of the judges.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:11 AM
Ernie P.

9. In an open competition with other potential manufacturers, another aircraft, already in production, was the clear choice of most of the judges.

10. However, at least two evaluators, one of whom was a famous and high scoring ace, preferred our subject aircraft.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM
Ernie P.

10. However, at least two evaluators, one of whom was a famous and high scoring ace, preferred our subject aircraft.

11. His influence was such that several hundred, but less than 1,000, of our subject aircraft were produced.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:11 PM
Ernie P.

Evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

11. His influence was such that several hundred, but less than 1,000, of our subject aircraft were produced.

12. Difficulties with the radiator delayed initial deliveries of production aircraft, but not for long.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:52 AM
Ernie P.

12. Difficulties with the radiator delayed initial deliveries of production aircraft, but not for long.

13. Our subject aircraft could match its “better” partner in speed; and even out dive it; but it didn’t handle as easily or well.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:10 AM
Ernie P.

13. Our subject aircraft could match its “better” partner in speed; and even out dive it; but it didn’t handle as easily or well.

14. It was also slower in a climb.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

How about the P-39?
Old 02-27-2019, 10:50 AM
Ernie P.

Not the P-39, Sir; but here's another bonus clue to aid your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

15. And was sometimes difficult to land.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:52 PM
Ernie P.

16. After the first few hundred had been produced, the shape of the rudder and vertical stabilizer were changed to a more rounded appearance.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:54 AM
Ernie P.

16. After the first few hundred had been produced, the shape of the rudder and vertical stabilizer were changed to a more rounded appearance.

17. Four or five aircraft survive today; all in museums of one sort or another.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:56 AM
Ernie P.

18. The aircraft appeared in at least two famous movies.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:15 PM
Ernie P.

19. This was also the last aircraft of this manufacturer to go into widespread service.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:06 AM
Ernie P.

19. This was also the last aircraft of this manufacturer to go into widespread service.

20. Both our subject aircraft and its superior brother were biplanes.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:14 AM
Ernie P.

21. Both were armed with two machine guns.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Ernie P.

A slightly early evening clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

22. And both had a top speed of 100 MPH and change.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:29 AM
Ernie P.

23. Which seems reasonable, as both had the same engines.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:06 AM
Ernie P.

Today's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

24. And both had wingspans between twenty nine (29) and thirty (30) feet.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:29 AM
Ernie P.

25. Our subject aircraft was a bit heavier, at around 100 pounds more.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:56 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm looking but no time for research a Fokker comes to mind maybe the follow on to the D-7 that was a two seater.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:37 AM
Ernie P.

Sparky; assuming you're taking about the Fokker C.I, the two seater D.VII, no. Our subject aircraft was "second best" to an aircraft of similar configuration and dimensions, and the exact same mission. But here's another clue to narrow your search. Thanks; Ernie P.

26. Which gave it an empty weight of a bit under 1,600 pounds.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Ernie P.

27. Our subject aircraft had an endurance of around 2-1/2 hours.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Ernie P.

27. Our subject aircraft had an endurance of around 2-1/2 hours.

28. Which was actually a good bit better than the “better airplane” that was favored.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.