Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 03:12 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I can probably speak for most when I say a debate over a topic isn't a bad thing. It becomes a bad thing when that debate becomes personal, something that happens all too often in the AMA subforum. Since I've never seen any discussion become "heated", I doubt it will ever become an issue
Old 07-08-2020, 03:36 PM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I can probably speak for most when I say a debate over a topic isn't a bad thing. It becomes a bad thing when that debate becomes personal, something that happens all too often in the AMA subforum. Since I've never seen any discussion become "heated", I doubt it will ever become an issue
I think this particular group is having WAY too much fun to devolve into personal attacks. That's one reason I follow this thread.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
I think this particular group is having WAY too much fun to devolve into personal attacks. That's one reason I follow this thread.
That makes two of us. I will admit, there are times I would love to strangle the person running the quiz because I'm totally stumped but that is what this thread is all about so......................
Old 07-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fidd88
My step-father once said of me that I "had a mind specially trained for the retention of anything of no possible consequence!"

(I had just won a case of Champagne off him in a bet over a Tube-line, as very rash 17 year old at the dinner table, so he may have been a bit emotional) <grin>

The bugger never did pay up!
That's kind of funny. Funny ha-ha, not funny peculiar. I've often been told I have a gift for remembering minor details and unimportant facts; although I have possibly the world's worst memory for names. Thanks; Ernie P.

Last edited by Ernie P.; 07-08-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Agreed, Sir; the value I place on this forum, and the things I learn, are much too valuable to jeopardize in personal attacks. Besides; I don't recall actually having anyone involved in this forum that was really hard to get along with.

Now where's stang151 with our next question? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:47 PM
stang151

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, I'm going to need to back off for this round. Life happens.
If somebody could pick this one up I would appreciate it. Sorry
Old 07-08-2020, 06:56 PM
Hydro Junkie

I'll give you an easy one, if no one objects, tomorrow
Old 07-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Ernie P.

I'll give you an easy one, if no one objects, tomorrow
Go ahead, Sir. I doubt anyone will object. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:00 AM
Hydro Junkie

Okay then, seeing no one objecting, I'm looking for an engine.
1) This engine shared the same displacement as a later, more famous engine
2) This engine "borrowed" some design elements from other manufacturers
3) This engine was designed and built by major "players" in the automotive industry
Good Luck
Old 07-09-2020, 07:09 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Okay then, seeing no one objecting, I'm looking for an engine.
3) This engine was designed and built by major "players" in the automotive industry
Good Luck
Packard 1A-2500?
Old 07-09-2020, 08:15 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Packard 1A-2500?
Not the 1A-2500 but it does get you another clue:
I'm looking for an engine.
4) One of the "players" was a shareholder in a company that is still a major force in the automotive industry
Good Luck
Old 07-09-2020, 01:31 PM
Ernie P.

Not the 1A-2500 but it does get you another clue:
4) One of the "players" was a shareholder in a company that is still a major force in the automotive industry
Good Luck
Good lord! You've taken us into a rats nest of possibilities here, Sir! Okay; I'll chew off a small piece. How about the Rolls Royce PV-12 engine, which led to the Merlin? Of course, I could also name the Curtiss D-12, which led to the Rolls Royce Kestral, which then led to the PV-12, which in turn led, again, to the Merlin, but as I said; things get complicated and there was a LOT of that sort of thing going on at the time. Dozens of engines! Good luck to us all. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:52 PM
Hydro Junkie

Sorry Ernie, not the PV-12. Time for a couple more clues:
5) A second "player" was part of a different automotive company
6) Most of the "borrowed" design elements used were almost carbon copies from the other engines
Good Luck
Old 07-10-2020, 03:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Are you all saying I've got you confused? That would probably be a first.
Time for another clue(or two):
6) Most of the "borrowed" design elements used were almost carbon copies from the other engines
7) This engine was built to meet a specific mandate
8) This engine was designed to satisfy a requirement that no other engine could meet at the time
Good Luck
Old 07-10-2020, 06:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

I'm going to be nice to you all, with another pair of clues.
Time for another clue(or two):
7) This engine was built to meet a specific mandate
8) This engine was designed to satisfy a requirement that no other engine could meet at the time
9) This engine was slightly more powerful that a majority of it's contemporaries of similar design
10) This engine was used, after hostilities ended, in a modified form for another purpose
Good Luck
Old 07-11-2020, 04:44 AM
elmshoot

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Liberty L-12

In the fall of 1917, the War Department placed an order for 22,500 Liberty engines, dividing the contract among the automobile and engine manufacturers Buick, Ford, Cadillac, Lincoln, Marmon, and Packard. Hall-Scott in California was considered too small to receive a production order. Manufacturing by multiple factories was facilitated by its modular design.[2

Used in Race boats some cars and tanks....
Sparky
Old 07-11-2020, 05:43 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Liberty L-12

In the fall of 1917, the War Department placed an order for 22,500 Liberty engines, dividing the contract among the automobile and engine manufacturers Buick, Ford, Cadillac, Lincoln, Marmon, and Packard. Hall-Scott in California was considered too small to receive a production order. Manufacturing by multiple factories was facilitated by its modular design.[2

Used in Race boats some cars and tanks....
Sparky
But Sparky, you missed something. When it was used in race boats, it did so with one bank of cylinders removed to get it down to the class displacement limit.
Just for the record, the "players" I referred to in clue 3 were major stockholders in Packard Automotive and AC/Delco. As most are aware, AC/Delco is still a major player in automotive electronics today while Packard closed up shop years ago.
Okay Sparky, YOU'RE UP!!!!!
BTW, what gave it away?

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-11-2020 at 05:46 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:52 AM
Ernie P.

But Sparky, you missed something. When it was used in race boats, it did so with one bank of cylinders removed to get it down to the class displacement limit.
Just for the record, the "players" I referred to in clue 3 were major stockholders in Packard Automotive and AC/Delco. As most are aware, AC/Delco is still a major player in automotive electronics today while Packard closed up shop years ago.
Okay Sparky, YOU'RE UP!!!!!
BTW, what gave it away?
Congratulations to you both. Good job! Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:53 AM
Ernie P.

Sparky; you're up, buddy. Please post your question for us. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:33 AM
Ernie P.

Sparky; unless you post your question today, we will have to move on.

All; if Sparky doesn't post his question today, we will have to move on. As normal, I will first open the floor to any one who wishes to post a question; with the hope that a new poster or one of our lurkers will post something. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:58 PM
Ernie P.

All; Apparently, we have lost Sparky for at least a while. The floor is now open for anyone who would like to ask the next question. If no one posts a question in the next day or so, I will post something; but I'd prefer a question from someone who hasn't posted a question lately. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:12 PM
elmshoot

Just back from a wonderful weekend of pylon racing in Muncie with my mates, we (Team Prowler) managed to go quite well in NMPRA 3 pole pylon racing in class 424.
Clint was 3rd, I was 6th and Dr Matt was 3rd in the standard class. The sky unzipped abut 15 minutes later with a torrential rainstorm that lasted about 20 minutes about an hour later we were back flying.
Our EF-1 endeavors were not quite as successful we learned a lot and will be ready for the next race.....

The following users liked this post:
cbaker65 (07-15-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 08:58 PM
elmshoot

Dr. Matt forgot to show his trophy....
About the clues...
The thing that gave it away was the clue about other uses of the engine and I remember that airplane engines were used in the hydro racers for a number of years, I didn't know anything about the engines being cut in half.
I was stationed in NAS Whidbey Island WA about 2 hours north of Seattle, the local news always carried the hydro races on lake Washington which is almost in Seattle.
So I was always fascinated by these exotic machines, airplanes on water! I never attended in person because of the traffic and the crowd and I could watch it on TV.
So in 1994 or 95. The race organizer always wanted some sort of act or time fillers between the races and they would go through the DOD asking for any military airplanes out on a "training flight" that fit the time window they would allow a flyby etc.
So not sure how the stars aligned, being XO of a squadron has something to do with it.... I was planning to go out flying and I signed up to do a flyby of the race course. We checked in with race control and were instructed to hold at the south end of lake Washington , Renton area for those who are following along. After a few minutes i was told to sequence in behind a FedEx 727. I got a visual on him and followed a few miles in trail. Needless to say this is a highly scrutinized event and not a place to go rouge. Follow the Navy SOP and keep your nose clean. Remember this is the venue that Tex Johnson did the barrel roll with the new Boeing 707 in the early 60's! Trust me cameras are all there and running! That video still exists of the Boeing roll.
So I did a 500 foot 350 knot Fly by.... pretty normal. The Boss asked us if we could fly by again and asked if we could make some noise..... The EA-6B Prowler is the second loudest airplane in the world, the Concorde in reheat is the only airplane louder.
I still remember that my right seater Kevin said "we can do that...." So I did a dirty flyby, Gear down, flaps down, slats out, tail hook down at approach speed around 125 Knots. As I approached show center I went to full power, 60 angle of bank turning my tailpipes at the crowd to give them the "sound of freedom" at full throttle as I cleaned up the airplane then turned south, then I climbed up a bit, came back around at full power 450 Knots. Heading north at "500 feet" I remember approaching the bridge on lake Washington, I had to pull up a little to get enough clearance over the bridge. There was a camera man on the top of the bridge I hope he got a nice picture of a "Prowler, with a bone in his teeth" then pulled up about 60 degrees and headed north and home plate.
Two years later following retirement from the Navy. I was hired at FedEx and I like to think it is highly likely that I flew the same 727 that I followed across the hydro races in Renton WA. a few years earlier.
Sparky
Old 07-14-2020, 09:18 PM
Hydro Junkie

Just a clarification. The Liberty wasn't cut in half. It only had the cylinders, pistons and rods removed on one side to get the engine down to 825 CI for one of the larger classes of preWWII race boats. It wasn't phased out of competition until the Allison 1710 was made available by the USAAC in the late 1940s and the Merlin in the early 1950s
Old 07-15-2020, 12:41 AM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by elmshoot
Dr. Matt forgot to show his trophy....
About the clues...
The thing that gave it away was the clue about other uses of the engine and I remember that airplane engines were used in the hydro racers for a number of years, I didn't know anything about the engines being cut in half.
I was stationed in NAS Whidbey Island WA about 2 hours north of Seattle, the local news always carried the hydro races on lake Washington which is almost in Seattle.
So I was always fascinated by these exotic machines, airplanes on water! I never attended in person because of the traffic and the crowd and I could watch it on TV.
So in 1994 or 95. The race organizer always wanted some sort of act or time fillers between the races and they would go through the DOD asking for any military airplanes out on a "training flight" that fit the time window they would allow a flyby etc.
So not sure how the stars aligned, being XO of a squadron has something to do with it.... I was planning to go out flying and I signed up to do a flyby of the race course. We checked in with race control and were instructed to hold at the south end of lake Washington , Renton area for those who are following along. After a few minutes i was told to sequence in behind a FedEx 727. I got a visual on him and followed a few miles in trail. Needless to say this is a highly scrutinized event and not a place to go rouge. Follow the Navy SOP and keep your nose clean. Remember this is the venue that Tex Johnson did the barrel roll with the new Boeing 707 in the early 60's! Trust me cameras are all there and running! That video still exists of the Boeing roll.
So I did a 500 foot 350 knot Fly by.... pretty normal. The Boss asked us if we could fly by again and asked if we could make some noise..... The EA-6B Prowler is the second loudest airplane in the world, the Concorde in reheat is the only airplane louder.
I still remember that my right seater Kevin said "we can do that...." So I did a dirty flyby, Gear down, flaps down, slats out, tail hook down at approach speed around 125 Knots. As I approached show center I went to full power, 60 angle of bank turning my tailpipes at the crowd to give them the "sound of freedom" at full throttle as I cleaned up the airplane then turned south, then I climbed up a bit, came back around at full power 450 Knots. Heading north at "500 feet" I remember approaching the bridge on lake Washington, I had to pull up a little to get enough clearance over the bridge. There was a camera man on the top of the bridge I hope he got a nice picture of a "Prowler, with a bone in his teeth" then pulled up about 60 degrees and headed north and home plate.
Two years later following retirement from the Navy. I was hired at FedEx and I like to think it is highly likely that I flew the same 727 that I followed across the hydro races in Renton WA. a few years earlier.
Sparky
Sounds like one heck of a weekend, Sparky. Congratulations! I assume you will re-take the lead on the next question? Thanks; Ernie P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.