Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Old 08-25-2020, 12:29 AM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie P. View Post
Sparky; you correctly answered the last question and you are up. From your statements, I gather you will not be posting a question here or taking the lead on the next round. Is that correct? Thanks; Ernie P.
Sparky; please respond. Will you be posting a new question for us, or should we move on without you? Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:38 PM
Ernie P.

All; Having heard nothing from Sparky, the floor is now open to the first person who wants to ask a question. If you have a question for us, please post it. First come, first served. If no one posts a question by tomorrow evening, I will post one. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Now we can't have that. My brain hasn't recovered from the last time out. I have an easy one that should get picked off in a few rounds so..........................
Looking for a plane:
1) This plane was developed for one thing and ended up being used for something else
2) This plane was one of the first of it's type, in more ways than one
3) This plane was so successful in it's final configuration that it beat out an ally's purpose built aircraft in the procurement process
Good Luck

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-25-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:49 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
Now we can't have that. My brain hasn't recovered from the last time out. I have an easy one that should get picked off in a few rounds so..........................
Looking for a plane:
1) This plane was developed for one thing and ended up being used for something else
3) This plane was so successful in it's final configuration that it beat out an ally's purpose built aircraft in the procurement process
Good Luck
Thanks for stepping up, Sir. How about the Airco DH.4, or a variant of it, the DH.9A? Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The Airco DH.4

The Airco DH.4 was a British two-seat biplane day bomber of the First World War. It was designed by Geoffrey de Havilland (hence "DH") for Airco, and was the first British two-seat light day-bomber to have an effective defensive armament.

The DH.4 was developed as a light two-seat combat aircraft, intended to perform both aerial reconnaissance and day bomber missions. One of the early aims of the design was for it to be powered by the newly-developed Beardmore Halford Pullinger (BHP) engine, which was capable of generating up to 160 hp. During its first years of flight, it was tried with several different engines, perhaps the best of which was the 375 hp (280 kW) Rolls-Royce Eagle engine. Armament and ordnance for the aircraft consisted of one 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Vickers machine gun for the pilot and one 0.303 in (7.7 mm) Lewis gun on a Scarff ring mounting for the observer. In addition, either a pair of 230 lb (100 kg) bombs or a maximum payload of four 112 lb (51 kg) bombs could be carried.

The DH.4 first flew in August 1916; less than a year later, it entered operational service in France on 6 March 1917 with No. 55 Squadron of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC). The majority of DH.4s were actually manufactured as general purpose two-seaters in the United States, the majority of which were intended to be used in service with the American expeditionary forces being deployed to fight in France. Following the signing of the Armistice of 11 November 1918, which effectively marked the end of the First World War, many DH.4s were determined to be surplus and sold, often to civil operators. Shortly after the conflict, the U.S. Army issued contracts to several companies to remanufacture many of their DH.4s to the improved DH.4B standard; and continued to operate the type into the early 1930s.

Origins

The DH.4 was designed by Geoffrey de Havilland as a light two-seat combat aircraft, intended to perform both aerial reconnaissance and day bomber missions.[3] An early feature of the design was the intention for it to be powered by the newly-developed Beardmore Halford Pullinger (BHP) engine, capable of generating up to 160 hp. According to aviation author J.M Bruce, the DH.4 was developed in parallel to the rival Bristol Fighter, developed and manufactured by the Bristol Aeroplane Company.[3] During August 1916, the prototype DH.4 conducted the type's maiden flight, powered by a prototype BHP engine rated at 230 hp (170 kW).[4]

Initial flight tests with the first prototype revealed it to have favourable handling and performance.[5] The Central Flying School (CFS) conducted early evaluation flights using the prototype, leading to it producing a favourable report on the aircraft, observing its high stability in flight, light flying controls and its relatively comfortable crew positions. During its flights with the CFS, it was able to attain previously unheard-of time-to-altitude figures, unmatched by any of its predecessors.[5] While flying trials with the prototype had been producing promising results, it soon became recognised that the BHP engine would have required a major redesign prior to the unit entering production.[5]

Even by the time of flying trials with the first prototype, there had been no finalised plans for quantity production of the BHP engine.[5] Coincidentally, another suitable and promising aeroengine, the water-cooled Rolls-Royce Eagle in-line engine, was approaching the end of its development process.[3] According to Bruce, the Eagle shared the same basic configuration as the BHP engine, which greatly aiding in its adoption by de Havilland, as did the engine's endorsement by William Beardmore. During the summer of 1916, a second prototype, equipped with the Rolls-Royce engine, conducted its first flight.[5]

In response to its favourable performance, the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) decided to place an initial order for the type during late 1916.[6] Separately to the RFC's interactions with the DH.4, it had received substantial interest from the Royal Navy as well.[7] The Admiralty decided to order a further pair of prototypes, configured to suit the service's own requirements, for evaluation purposes; however, according to Bruce, it is unlikely that the second of these was ever constructed. Following trials with the first of these prototypes, orders were placed for the production of DH.4s to equip the Royal Naval Air Service.

Upon the entry of the United States into the First World War on 6 April 1917, the aviation section of the U.S. Signal Corps was relatively unprepared for the task, not being equipped with any aircraft suitable for combat operations.[14] However, considerable optimism and energy was put into addressing this identified need, leading to the mobilization of American industry to set about the production of contemporary combat aircraft. As there were no suitable aircraft domestically, a technical commission, known as the Bolling Commission, was dispatched to Europe to seek out the best available combat aircraft and to make arrangements to enable their production to be established in the United States.

As a result of the efforts of the Bolling Commission, the DH.4, along with the Bristol F.2 Fighter, the Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5, and French SPAD S.XIII were selected.[14] On 27 July 1917, a single DH.4 was sent to the United States as a pattern aircraft. It was not until 1918 that the first American-built DH.4s came off the production line.[15] Several different manufacturers, including the Boeing Airplane Corporation, Dayton-Wright Airplane Company, the Fisher Body Corporation, and the Standard Aircraft Corporation produced this Americanized variant of the DH.4, featuring over 1,000 modifications from the original British design, to equip the American air services.[16] A total of 9,500 DH.4s were ordered from American manufacturers, of which 1,885 actually reached France during the war. In American production, the new Liberty engine, which had proved suitable as a DH.4 power plant, was adopted. The Liberty would also eventually be adopted by the British, powering the DH.9A variant of the type.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:34 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not the DH.4, but nice try. That will get you a couple of clues.
Looking for a plane:
4) This plane never saw combat but the plane it replaced did
5) One of several changes to the plane improved performance in multiple ways
Good Luck
Old 08-26-2020, 06:25 PM
Hydro Junkie

No guesses, time for a new clue.
Looking for a plane:
6) This plane had at least three structural changes to make it capable of doing it's new task
Good Luck
Old 08-27-2020, 04:23 PM
Ernie P.

No guesses, time for a new clue.
Looking for a plane:
6) This plane had at least three structural changes to make it capable of doing it's new task
Good Luck
Clue (5) continues to intrigue me. When I first read it, I thought "That sounds like the...... What was it? Dang!" It will come to me. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:01 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Ernie P. View Post
Clue (5) continues to intrigue me. When I first read it, I thought "That sounds like the...... What was it? Dang!" It will come to me. Thanks; Ernie P.
Is this possible? The Great Ernie is struggling on one of my questions? Guess I'll have to help him out with another pair of clues
Looking for a plane:
7) One of the changes increased the length of the aircraft by several feet
8) Another change required a change in the internal framing in the bottom of the aircraft
Good Luck
Old 08-27-2020, 06:05 PM
JohnnyS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B-50?
Old 08-27-2020, 07:01 PM
Hydro Junkie

Nope, not the B-50. The B-50 was an updated B-29 that had changes but nothing that meets:
Clue 1, changed rolls
Clue 3, it beat out a purpose build aircraft in the procurement process
Clues 5 & 6, structural changes that increased performance and made it able to do it's job
Clue 7, increased the length of the aircraft

That said, time for another clue
Looking for a plane:
8) Another change required a change in the internal framing in the bottom of the aircraft
9) The new configuration increased the crew from 4 to 13
Good Luck

Old 08-27-2020, 07:12 PM
stang151

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kc-97
Old 08-27-2020, 08:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

Not the KC-97, though it is an interesting guess. Time for another clue
Looking for a plane:
10) This plane used tech in its original configuration that was developed during war time. One of the changes moved on to more modern tech
Good Luck
Old 08-28-2020, 04:11 PM
Hydro Junkie

Looks like it's time for another pair of clues
Looking for a plane:
10) This plane used tech in its original configuration that was developed during war time. One of the changes moved on to more modern tech1
11) The tech referred to in the previous clue increased the range considerably
12) A second change allowed for the carrying and use of 10 tons of payload
Good Luck
Old 08-30-2020, 06:35 AM
JohnnyS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Canadair Argus?
Old 08-31-2020, 06:43 PM
Ernie P.

Looks like it's time for another pair of clues
Looking for a plane:
10) This plane used tech in its original configuration that was developed during war time. One of the changes moved on to more modern tech1
Good Luck
Hydro Junkie; Have we lost you? Time for an answer and/or a new clue. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:49 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Arvo Lancaster?
Old 08-31-2020, 07:05 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Arvo Lancaster?
It isn't my place to answer, but check clue (4) again. I'm pretty sure the Lancaster saw combat. Thanks; Ernie P.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:07 PM
Hydro Junkie

Sorry guys, been very busy over the weekend and working today. I'll throw a couple of clues out when I get home
Old 08-31-2020, 11:43 PM
Hydro Junkie

As promised, here are a few more clues that will probably give it away, but we'll see.
Looking for a plane:
13) This plane was markedly faster than the ally's plane that it beat in the procurement process
14) So much faster that it is comparable to the plane that replace the one it beat in the procurement process, though the other plane needs fewer engines to reach those speeds
15) It was faster due to the different kinds of powerplants the two competing planes used
16) The ally's plane with comparable speed was converted in a similar way to the subject plane
Good Luck
Old 09-02-2020, 03:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

No new guesses? Time for more clues
Looking for a plane:
13) This plane was markedly faster than the ally's plane that it beat in the procurement process
14) So much faster that it is comparable to the plane that replace the one it beat in the procurement process, though the other plane needs fewer engines to reach those speeds
15) It was faster due to the different kinds of powerplants the two competing planes used
16) The ally's plane with comparable speed was converted in a similar way to the subject plane
17) In it's original configuration the subject aircraft got the reputation as a flying death trap
18) The company that built the plane had to go to extreme measures to figure out what was causing the plane to fail
Good Luck
Old 09-02-2020, 07:07 PM
Ernie P.

No new guesses? Time for more clues
Looking for a plane:
17) In it's original configuration the subject aircraft got the reputation as a flying death trap
18) The company that built the plane had to go to extreme measures to figure out what was causing the plane to fail
Good Luck
Sorry; I've been following along but have been really busy the past several days. How about the Hawker Siddeley Nimrod? Thanks; Ernie P.

The Hawker Siddeley Nimrod was a maritime patrol aircraft developed and operated by the United Kingdom. It was an extensive modification of the de Havilland Comet, the world's first operational jet airliner. It was originally designed by de Havilland's successor firm, Hawker Siddeley; further development and maintenance work was undertaken by Hawker Siddeley's own successor companies, British Aerospace and BAE Systems, respectively.

Designed in response to a requirement issued by the Royal Air Force (RAF) to replace its fleet of ageing Avro Shackletons, the Nimrod MR1/MR2s were primarily fixed-wing aerial platforms for anti-submarine warfare (ASW) operations; secondary roles included maritime surveillance and anti-surface warfare. It served from the early 1970s until March 2010.[2] The intended replacement was to be extensively rebuilt Nimrod MR2s, designated Nimrod MRA4; however, due to considerable delays, repeated cost overruns, and financial cutbacks, the development of the MRA4 was abandoned in 2010.[3]

In addition to the three Maritime Reconnaissance variants, two further Nimrod types were developed. The RAF operated a small number of the Nimrod R1, an electronic intelligence gathering (ELINT) variant. A dedicated airborne early warning platform, the Nimrod AEW3, was in development from late 1970s to the mid-1980s; however, much like the MRA4, considerable problems were encountered in development and thus the project was cancelled in 1986 in favour of an off-the-shelf solution in the Boeing E-3 Sentry. All Nimrod variants had been retired by mid-2011.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:11 PM
Hydro Junkie

Sounds like me last weekend, Ernie. Guess what? You're up again
The other planes I referred to are the Lockheed P-3 Orion, which the Nimrod beat out during the procurement process and the plane that is replacing it, the P-8 Poseidon. The P-8 and Nimrod both started out as passenger planes that were reworked into patrol and anti-submarine aircraft, losing all of their windows and adding weapons capability, among other things

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 09-02-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:27 PM
Ernie P.

Sounds like me last weekend, Ernie. Guess what? You're up again
The other planes I referred to are the Lockheed P-3 Orion, which the Nimrod beat out during the procurement process and the plane that is replacing it, the P-8 Poseidon. The P-8 and Nimrod both started out as passenger planes that were reworked into patrol and anti-submarine aircraft, losing all of their windows and adding weapons capability, among other things
No, wait! That was just an off the cuff guess. I hadn't really thought it through. I was going off memory. It shouldn't count! Okay; I'll get something up tomorrow. It was a good subject, Hydro Junkie; and you were playing it really well. Sorry I spoiled the punch. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:57 PM
Hydro Junkie

You didn't spoil anything. Truth be told, I was running out of clues so I was hoping someone would figure it out soon
Old 09-03-2020, 07:09 PM
Ernie P.

I said I'd get something up today; but I didn't say it would be early today. Sorry to be tardy, guys, but... Okay; here we go again. This will, of necessity, be a short quiz. Partially because not a lot is known about this plane; and partially because the clues will quickly narrow down the list of possible contenders. Truth be told, this probably isn't a good subject for our quiz; but there are certain aspects about it that I find to be fascinating. I hope you agree. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. During WWII, a number of nations explored, designed, tested and perhaps constructed a variety of “Emergency Fighters”.

2. These were planes intended to be produced, should supply lines be cut and certain “strategic materials”, normally essential to modern aircraft production, become unavailable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.