Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Knowledge Quiz for Warbird wiz

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 01:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, give me a bit since I'm at work and am just getting set up for my shift. I'll see about getting something up either later today or tomorrow.
I find it interesting that the USAAC wanted an interceptor at that stage of the war. The Japanese were on the defensive in the Pacific and pretty well being held at arms reach by the Navy's Wildcats, the Hellcat and Corsair were just about to show up that would spell the end of the elite Japanese aircrews and, by the end of the year, Rabaul would be a non-factor. In Europe, the Russians had stopped(or close to it) the Wehrmacht, the Luftwaffe had been defeated over England and the Afrika Korp was in retreat and in danger of being destroyed. The only reason I can think of for the P-62 would be to shoot down the "Buzz bombs", something that had not been deployed yet. What the USAAC really needed was a armored close air support plane along the lines of the A-10 Thunderbolt II. Granted, they already had their own version of the Dauntless which they didn't really use, several twin engine bombers and used fighters in that role later in the war, but nothing that could be called a ground attack aircraft

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-15-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:30 PM
Hydro Junkie

Hope you guys are ready for a strange one.
Looking for an aircraft:
1) The plane in question was designed and built by a well known manufacturer
2) The plane in question was based on an aircraft designed and built by the same manufacturer 10 years previously.
3) It was over two years between first flight and being delivered in an operational status
4) The last one of this type was retired 21 years after the plane was made operational
5) Interestingly, the type was phased out of operational service after only 3 years in favor of two other similar contemporary aircraft that would become famous in their own right over the next 8 years
Good Luck
Old 06-15-2021, 07:24 PM
Ernie P.
My Feedback: (3)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Okay, give me a bit since I'm at work and am just getting set up for my shift. I'll see about getting something up either later today or tomorrow.
I find it interesting that the USAAC wanted an interceptor at that stage of the war. The Japanese were on the defensive in the Pacific and pretty well being held at arms reach by the Navy's Wildcats, the Hellcat and Corsair were just about to show up that would spell the end of the elite Japanese aircrews and, by the end of the year, Rabaul would be a non-factor. In Europe, the Russians had stopped(or close to it) the Wehrmacht, the Luftwaffe had been defeated over England and the Afrika Korp was in retreat and in danger of being destroyed. The only reason I can think of for the P-62 would be to shoot down the "Buzz bombs", something that had not been deployed yet. What the USAAC really needed was a armored close air support plane along the lines of the A-10 Thunderbolt II. Granted, they already had their own version of the Dauntless which they didn't really use, several twin engine bombers and used fighters in that role later in the war, but nothing that could be called a ground attack aircraft
HJ; Don't forget the actual contract proposal was issued on 29 April 1941. That was before the war began for the U.S. And maybe that's one reason they decided the XP-62 wasn't worth developing. Then again, the F8F was an interceptor, and they really wanted it late in 1944 and early 1945. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:42 PM
Hydro Junkie

And I get all of that. The problems with the AAF wanting a plane of that sort was it wasn't actually needed when it was ordered. The US was at peace, even though fighting was going on in Europe and China. The isolationists in Congress were still holding the line on keeping the US out of the war as well. Granted, the Philippines, Guam and Wake were all exposed and would all fall within the first two months of the upcoming war(Corregidor wouldn't fall for a few more months after that), not one of them had an adequate air warning system so all were caught with their aircraft on the ground where they were almost totally wiped out. Had the P-62 been at any of these locations, or Pearl Harbor for that matter, they would have shared that fate. As for the Curtis plant building P-47s, they only built around 350 and none of those were deemed combat capable due to sloppy construction and poor quality control.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:58 AM
Hydro Junkie

Since there were no guesses, time for a pair of morning clues:
Looking for an aircraft:
2) The plane in question was based on an aircraft designed and built by the same manufacturer 10 years previously.
3) It was over two years between first flight and being delivered in an operational status
4) The last one of this type was retired 21 years after the plane was made operational
5) Interestingly, the type was phased out of operational service after only 3 years in favor of two other similar contemporary aircraft that would become famous in their own right over the next 8 years
6) The plane was multi-engine and armed with two Lewis guns in open mounts
7) The initial plane was felt to be underpowered so the engines were replaced with more powerful ones in the production versions

Good Luck
Old 06-16-2021, 01:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

Since there were no guesses, probably due to people being busy due to the time of day, I'll throw a few more clues out for you all to ponder:
Looking for an aircraft:
7) The initial plane was felt to be underpowered so the engines were replaced with more powerful ones in the production versions
8) Even with the better engines, the subject plane was still considerably slower, shorter ranged and smaller than the two planes that replaced it
9) In fact, the smaller of the two planes that replaced it had over twice the range of our subject
10) And in an ironic twist, the subject plane was actually obsolete when first built while two other aircraft built by the same company were state of the art in their construction
11) To take the irony a bit further, both of the other two planes were known for their speed capabilities, the second also for its maneuverability, leading to it becoming "iconic" before it was retired

Good Luck
Old 06-16-2021, 07:25 PM
Ernie P.

Since there were no guesses, probably due to people being busy due to the time of day, I'll throw a few more clues out for you all to ponder:
Looking for an aircraft:
8) Even with the better engines, the subject plane was still considerably slower, shorter ranged and smaller than the two planes that replaced it
9) In fact, the smaller of the two planes that replaced it had over twice the range of our subject
10) And in an ironic twist, the subject plane was actually obsolete when first built while two other aircraft built by the same company were state of the art in their construction
11) To take the irony a bit further, both of the other two planes were known for their speed capabilities, the second also for its maneuverability, leading to it becoming "iconic" before it was retired

Good Luck
HJ; when I saw your first set of clues, I thought "I think I know what plane he's after". But when I checked, the dates didn't fit. Now I think I see a lead, but I'm still not sure. This will take some digging. Good work. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:31 PM
Hydro Junkie

I like it, I have the "quizmaster" a bit lost
I guess I should give him, and everyone else, more clues:
12) The subject plane was built and operated by two countries
13) Only 57 of this plane were built. Of the 57, only 17 were built by the company that designed it. The other 40 were built under license by another firm,headquartered in the home country, from a factory in the other country that operated them

Good Luck
Old 06-17-2021, 03:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Looks like it's time for more clues:
13) Only 57 of this plane were built. Of the 57, only 17 were built by the company that designed it. The other 40 were built under license by another firm,headquartered in the home country, from a factory in the other country that operated them
14) The plane was used, initially, for coastal patrol and reconnaissance until it was replaced by the smaller of the two planes mentioned in clue 5
15) After it was phased out of front line service, it was used as a trainer until retired
16) The other country that built and operated the type was also the country that used it the longest

Good Luck
Old 06-17-2021, 09:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

Time for another clue, or three:
14) The plane was used, initially, for coastal patrol and reconnaissance until it was replaced by the smaller of the two planes mentioned in clue 5
15) After it was phased out of front line service, it was used as a trainer until retired
16) The other country that built and operated the type was also the country that used it the longest
17) The subject plane was powered by a pair of 820hp radials in it's initial form, 920hp versions in it's production form
18) The two planes that replaced it were both powered by 1200hp radials while the two planes that were noted for their speed were powered by liquid cooled engines
19) All of the other aircraft in this quiz used stressed metal skin covered wings while the subject used fabric covered wood

Good Luck
Old 06-18-2021, 03:57 PM
Hydro Junkie

Oh Boy!!!!
No guesses again. I guess it's time for another clue, or more:
17) The subject plane was powered by a pair of 820hp radials in it's initial form, 920hp versions in it's production form
18) The two planes that replaced it were both powered by 1200hp radials while the two planes that were noted for their speed were powered by liquid cooled engines
19) All of the other aircraft in this quiz used stressed metal skin covered wings while the subject used fabric covered wood
20) Even more interestingly, the subject aircraft was the only one mentioned in this quiz that was a biplane.
21) Only one of this aircraft is left today, that being in a museum
22) Not surprisingly, the one survivor was one of the 40 built under license in the other country
23) Of the two planes that replaced the subject aircraft, the smaller one was instrumental in two operations
24) One operation was misrepresented for decades due to false information put out by a "participant"
25) The other, while significant, didn't really have any true bearing on history other than national pride of the countries involved

Good Luck
Old 06-21-2021, 02:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

After taking a few days off from the quiz and, seeing no one has taken a guess, it's time for at least one more clue:
20) Even more interestingly, the subject aircraft was the only one mentioned in this quiz that was a biplane.
22) Not surprisingly, the one survivor was one of the 40 built under license in the other country
23) Of the two planes that replaced the subject aircraft, the smaller one was instrumental in two operations
24) One operation was misrepresented for decades due to false information put out by a "participant"
25) The other, while significant, didn't really have any true bearing on history other than national pride of the countries involved
26) The larger of the planes that took over for the subject became a deadly threat to it's primary target, even though it wasn't designed for the combat role it eventually was given
27) The smaller "replacement" aircraft was, like the subject aircraft, was of a twin engine design while the larger used four
28) The replacement aircraft were powered by the Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp
29) The prototype of the subject aircraft used two Bristol Pegasus IIIM engines with wooden two bladed props
30) The production versions were equipped with two Bristol Pegasus X engines with three bladed props
31) Even though the subject was a biplane, the design still used a shoulder mounted high wing design

Good Luck
Old 06-22-2021, 07:00 AM
Hydro Junkie

Guys, I hate to say it but I'm running out of clues. I figured someone would have gotten it by now. I'll add one more clue for this morning and we'll see where it goes.
26) The larger of the planes that took over for the subject became a deadly threat to it's primary target, even though it wasn't designed for the combat role it eventually was given
27) The smaller "replacement" aircraft was, like the subject aircraft, was of a twin engine design while the larger used four
29) The prototype of the subject aircraft used two Bristol Pegasus IIIM engines with wooden two bladed props
30) The production versions were equipped with two Bristol Pegasus X engines with three bladed props
31) Even though the subject was a biplane, the design still used a shoulder mounted high wing design
32) Many of the subject planes, built under license, were sold to private operators in that country and a neighboring country

Good Luck
Old 06-23-2021, 05:22 AM
Ernie P.

Guys, I hate to say it but I'm running out of clues. I figured someone would have gotten it by now. I'll add one more clue for this morning and we'll see where it goes.
32) Many of the subject planes, built under license, were sold to private operators in that country and a neighboring country

Good Luck
HJ; see what happens when you ask good questions? <G> I've been very busy the past few weeks, but I should have some time in the next few days to take a hard look at your question. Maybe I can figure it out. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:39 AM
Hydro Junkie

I was thinking clues 10 & 11 would have narrowed down the options considerably as to the manufacturer while clues 19, 20 and 23-25 would have narrowed down the when it was used. Maybe I was wrong on that one. I was also thinking this one wasn't going to be that tough so, maybe I was wrong on that as well. Anyway, time for another clue:
33) The subject plane had a rather "unique" tail arrangement. Unlike most planes that had twin vertical fins(such as the American B-24 and B-25), the subject plane didn't have it's vertical fins mounted on the ends of the horizontal stabilizer. The fins were mounted on top of the horizontal stabilizers but outboard of the rear of the fuselage

Good Luck

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-23-2021 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:09 AM
Ernie P.

Okay, HJ; I finally completed some other work and had a few minutes to do some searching. How about the Supermarine Stranraer? Thanks; Ernie P.

Answer: The Supermarine Stranraer

The Supermarine Stranraer was a flying boat designed and built by the British Supermarine Aviation Works company. It was developed during the 1930s on behalf of its principal operator, the Royal Air Force (RAF).

Derived from the Supermarine Scapa, the aircraft's design was heavily shaped by Specification R.24/31. While initially rejected by the Air Ministry, Supermarine persisted with development as a private venture under the designation Southampton V. During 1933, a contract was placed for a single prototype; it was around this time that the type received the name Stranraer. First flown on 24 July 1934, the Stranraer entered frontline service with the RAF during 1937; most examples of the type were in service by the outbreak of the Second World War.

The Stranraer's typically undertook anti-submarine and convoy escort patrols during the early years of the conflict. During March 1941, it was withdrawn from frontline service, but continued to be operated in a training capacity up until October 1942. In addition to the British-built aeroplanes, the Canadian Vickers company in Montreal, Quebec, also manufactured 40 Stranraers under licence for the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). These Canadian Stranraers served in anti-submarine and coastal defence capacities on both Canada's Atlantic and Pacific coasts, and were in regular service until 1946. Following their withdrawal from military service, many ex-RCAF Stranraers were sold off to fledgeling regional airlines, with whom they served in various commercial passenger and freighter operations into the 1950s.

Old 06-25-2021, 04:52 AM
Hydro Junkie

That be the plane.
The clues that I thought would help nail down the manufacturer, 10 and 11, were referring to the S-6 floatplane racer and the Spitfire while clue 18 referenced their liquid cooled engines as being the Rolls Royce Merlin, just not actually naming it.
Clue 5 referred to the Consolidated PBY Catalina series and Short Sunderland with clues 23, 24 and 25 specifically calling out the reconnaissance work done by the Catalina at Midway in June of 1942(clue 24 specifically referring to Mitsuo Fuchida's semi-fictional book "Midway, the Battle that Doomed Japan") and the finding of the battleship Bismarck in the Celtic Sea in May of 1941. Clue 26 was aimed at the Sunderland's use as a long ranged U-Boat killer. Clue 9 pointed out that the Stranraer had a range of roughly 1000 miles while the Catalina could fly around 2500 and the Sutherland almost 3000.
I guess that means you're up again

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-25-2021 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:39 PM
Ernie P.

That be the plane.
The clues that I thought would help nail down the manufacturer, 10 and 11, were referring to the S-6 floatplane racer and the Spitfire while clue 18 referenced their liquid cooled engines as being the Rolls Royce Merlin, just not actually naming it.
Clue 5 referred to the Consolidated PBY Catalina series and Short Sunderland with clues 23, 24 and 25 specifically calling out the reconnaissance work done by the Catalina at Midway in June of 1942(clue 24 specifically referring to Mitsuo Fuchida's semi-fictional book "Midway, the Battle that Doomed Japan") and the finding of the battleship Bismarck in the Celtic Sea in May of 1941. Clue 26 was aimed at the Sunderland's use as a long ranged U-Boat killer. Clue 9 pointed out that the Stranraer had a range of roughly 1000 miles while the Catalina could fly around 2500 and the Sutherland almost 3000.
I guess that means you're up again
Thanks, HJ. A good quiz! Certainly interesting and challenging. I didn't see this until late this evening, so I'll get something up tomorrow. I'm not sure if I want to post something easy, or something hard. Thanks; Ernie P.
Old 06-26-2021, 04:42 AM
Ernie P.

And once more. Thanks; Ernie P.

What warbird do I describe?

1. This aircraft was produced in the thousands.

2. And it was well known at the time it was in use.

3. It performed well throughout its lifespan.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:43 AM
Ernie P.

Today's clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

4. Which was a pretty long lifespan.

Old 06-27-2021, 11:53 AM
JohnnyS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Avro 504?
Old 06-27-2021, 06:51 PM
Ernie P.

Originally Posted by JohnnyS
Avro 504?
Not the Avro 504, Johnny; but I'll award a bonus clue to reward your efforts. Please try again. Thanks; Ernie P.

5. It was flown by multiple air forces.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:03 PM
Hydro Junkie

How about the F-4 Phantom?
Old 06-28-2021, 02:33 AM
Ernie P.

How about the F-4 Phantom?
Not the Phantom, HJ; but I'll award a bonus clue to accompany the morning clue. Thanks; Ernie P.

5. It was flown by multiple air forces.

6. And produced in a number of variants.

7. It was considered to be one of the most important aircraft of its type by its owning service.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:02 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Northrop F-89 Scorpion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.