Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Top Flight P-47 .60 size kit questions.

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Top Flight P-47 .60 size kit questions.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:45 AM
GaryHarris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flight P-47 .60 size kit questions.

I hope RCU doesnt charge me for using the search function because I think I wore that button out. A little backgroung on me first. I would consider myself a intermediate builder of 50+ planes, but a fairly new flyer. Did the trainers and am currently flying a Four Star 40 and peviously the 60 size Four Star. Not too long ago I asked about getting into wardbirds and it was suggested I give the P-47 a shot since its a fairly easy plane to fly. I have an extra Saito 100 and just aquired an older JR 8 channel TX.

Being this will be my first Warbird, I have no idea what I'm doing, so I have alot of questions. And I'm a budget. I'd like to keep this build under $600. First is, retracts. Which ones should I get? Is there an advantage of using pnuematic over mechanical?

Covering. I will not be using anything plastic. Is something like Solartex the way to go, or glassing?

I'm assuming the Saito 100 will be enough power, or will it be borderline?

Electronics. Just sitting around I have a couple of Hitec HS-645MGs and some other oddball standard servos. Any particular place I should use the higher torque servos? Should I use a 4 or 5 cell RX pack?

And for now, any hints on building the kit, mods etc?

Thank you very much in advance. I know I asked some questions that may seem common, or "old hat" for most here, but for a new guy just getting into Warbirds, it's pretty hard to gather all this info for just one plane since I can't find a single build thread on the Top Flight Gold Edition P-47 .60
Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Top Flight P-47 .60 size kit questions.

You will find that this is a very rewarding and straight forward build. Mine is about 15 years old and still flies very well. A Saito 100 will be perfect for it. I would go with pnematic retracts. Century Jet and Robart make custom sets for this bird. You can save a little money and go with wire but working struts are worth it(IMHO). I covered mine in momokote, but IF you don't build up too much weight it will fly fine.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: c550

You will find that this is a very rewarding and straight forward build. Mine is about 15 years old and still flies very well. A Saito 100 will be perfect for it. I would go with pnematic retracts. Century Jet and Robart make custom sets for this bird. You can save a little money and go with wire but working struts are worth it(IMHO). I covered mine in momokote, but IF you don't build up too much weight it will fly fine.
Thanks c550. I just looked at Tower Hobbies for retracts and got totally lost at 105 degree and 90 degree. Any particular model I should be looking at?

Edit: I just found this. Holy carp thats expensive.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXWN1&P=0
Old 02-16-2010, 01:14 PM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

The Gear are expensive. You could get the Robart 605HD 85 degree retracts and attach the robostruts and save a little money over a custom set. You might check the classifieds and the bay for a good used set also. Don't go too cheap on the retracts as you wont really save money and will be buying a lot of frustration.

Regards,

Dave
Old 02-16-2010, 01:29 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: c550

The Gear are expensive. You could get the Robart 605HD 85 degree retracts and attach the robostruts and save a little money over a custom set. You might check the classifieds and the bay for a good used set also. Don't go too cheap on the retracts as you wont really save money and will be buying a lot of frustration.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave. I noticed your from Houston. Do you fly at Scobee?
Old 02-16-2010, 01:30 PM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

Don't buy Robart 605 retracts- i had them in a top flite mustang and they are worthless. the Cjs may be ok but a better set is the Robart 700 series air up spring down retracts with 7/16 oleos. these are good strong retracts which will be a good match for this plane. Another possibility is spring air 100 series air up spring down retracts with 3/16 wire struts (www.retracts.com). Spring air retracts are very well made and are very strong.

I flew the top flite p47 for 3-4 years - it flies very well. you will like it. mine had a super tiger g90 which has about the same power as the saito 100 and this was good power for this aplane if built with film covering. if built with fiberglass you should go with a 120 engine.

Ed
Old 02-16-2010, 01:39 PM
P-40 DRIVER

First off, I would suggest getting something like a Super Chipmunk or Extra under your belt first. Saito 100 will work fine, I would skip the gear if it was me or use these [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXES05&P=0[/link], [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXET21&P=V[/link]. I would suggest monokoting it to keep weight down. You can also glass the fuselage, Solartex the wings and paint. Use the 645's on the rudder and elevator. It will be over kill but you already have them. Standard servos will work anywhere. The kit comes with very good directions which you can download from Tower. 4.8 or 6.0 volt system is up to you, the plane won't care. Don't get to hopped up on fancy finishes, they add weight and alot of expense to a project. Unless you love buildling like me, a Hanger Nine will be your best bang for the buck.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:53 PM
davidgeorge212

do you already have this p-47 kit? I plan on building this same kit but I orderd it from tower hobbies in January. They still have it listed as coming back in stock mid february which is right about now.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:59 PM
gthrone

I can't help but jump in, what ever plane you choose, take a bit of effort and beef up the gear mount.
I promise you will land hard sometime and will thank me.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:22 PM
fly20

.rcscalebuilder has a couple of nice build threads on this kit. just go to the topflite forum.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: rc34074

Don't buy Robart 605 retracts- i had them in a top flite mustang and they are worthless. the Cjs may be ok but a better set is the Robart 700 series air up spring down retracts with 7/16 oleos. these are good strong retracts which will be a good match for this plane. Another possibility is spring air 100 series air up spring down retracts with 3/16 wire struts (www.retracts.com). Spring air retracts are very well made and are very strong.

I flew the top flite p47 for 3-4 years - it flies very well. you will like it. mine had a super tiger g90 which has about the same power as the saito 100 and this was good power for this aplane if built with film covering. if built with fiberglass you should go with a 120 engine.

Ed

The Magnum 120 is an option or 30% in the Saito 100, Monokote is not. I'm trying to do this on a budget of $600 or less.

Thanks.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:41 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: P-40 DRIVER

First off, I would suggest getting something like a Super Chipmunk or Extra under your belt first. Saito 100 will work fine, I would skip the gear if it was me or use these [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXES05&P=0[/link], [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXET21&P=V[/link]. I would suggest monokoting it to keep weight down. You can also glass the fuselage, Solartex the wings and paint. Use the 645's on the rudder and elevator. It will be over kill but you already have them. Standard servos will work anywhere. The kit comes with very good directions which you can download from Tower. 4.8 or 6.0 volt system is up to you, the plane won't care. Don't get to hopped up on fancy finishes, they add weight and alot of expense to a project. Unless you love buildling like me, a Hanger Nine will be your best bang for the buck.

Not clear on what your saying. Will the P-47 be too much of a handfull to fly unless I can fly a Chipy?

And on the finishes, this will be a scale, er, semi scale build for the hard core scale guys. No plastic. And as a builder myself, why would the H9 be better than the TF?
Old 02-16-2010, 02:43 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: gthrone

I can't help but jump in, what ever plane you choose, take a bit of effort and beef up the gear mount.
I promise you will land hard sometime and will thank me.

Good advise! I allready picked the plane I wanted though.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:02 PM
RCGuy41

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Covering. I will not be using anything plastic. Is something like Solartex the way to go, or glassing?

Gary,

Since you have built other models, probably using monokote or some other material to cover your aircraft. Solartex is a plastic with a fabrick weave on top, you still have to iron it on. I would glass using .5 ounce glass cloth either using the west system or your prefered expoxy resign, and both take paint very well. Just remember glassing will add some weight to your bird, but your engine sellection is good and can be hidden completely inside the P-47's cowl. I'm currently working on a TF Corsair and will be glassing within the next few weeks, that's if things go as planed, this past weekend I painted and installed a cockpit kit, boy does it look nice, all I need now is a 9" pilot to fly it, got one, any one?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:04 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

I hope RCU doesnt charge me for using the search function because I think I wore that button out. A little backgroung on me first. I would consider myself a intermediate builder of 50+ planes, but a fairly new flyer. Did the trainers and am currently flying a Four Star 40 and peviously the 60 size Four Star. Not too long ago I asked about getting into wardbirds and it was suggested I give the P-47 a shot since its a fairly easy plane to fly. I have an extra Saito 100 and just aquired an older JR 8 channel TX.

Being this will be my first Warbird, I have no idea what I'm doing, so I have alot of questions. And I'm a budget. I'd like to keep this build under $600. First is, retracts. Which ones should I get? Is there an advantage of using pnuematic over mechanical?

Electronics. Just sitting around I have a couple of Hitec HS-645MGs and some other oddball standard servos. Any particular place I should use the higher torque servos? Should I use a 4 or 5 cell RX pack?

Thank you very much in advance. I know I asked some questions that may seem common, or ''old hat'' for most here, but for a new guy just getting into Warbirds, it's pretty hard to gather all this info for just one plane since I can't find a single build thread on the Top Flight Gold Edition P-47 .60
RCU wont charge you anything

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...tm.htm#4868696 not exactly a build thread but lots of information
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...tm.htm#2856415 some mods good read

search is easy once you learn how, heres a bunch of threads.

now to your questions, the CJ retracts can be had for a little over 200 from tower if you join there club, they will send you discount codes for 60$ off of 300$ purchased if you chose to buy from tower.

I have them in mine, they work fine,if you go with robart get the better ones made from metal, the plastic gear are really not robust enough,for this plane, if you check www.towerhobbies.com there will be recomended degree retracts for this plane,as well as the instructions included in the model, that can be downloaded from tower as well, if you chose robarts there about the same price as the CJ's if you buy the robostruts.

standard servos work fine for this model, I used a HD servo for my retractable tail wheel pull/pull and coupled rudder but standard is fine, glassing can be done resonably inexpensively by using water based polyurathane, that another subject all together, my plane was about 800$ mabee a bit more, to build and finish
Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

+1 on the Robart 700 Series spring down retracts and 7/16 Robostruts, thats what I have for mine. The 7/16 struts are just insurance against bending, depending on your field the 3/16 Robo's will also work and may save a few ounces of weight if your trying to shave as many ounces or grams as possible. If you have an airleak and lose pressure the gear automatically come down, otherwise they stay up and you get to practice belly landings. Beefing up the gear mounts is a double edge sword. If you beef up the mounts and have a rough landing you may be repairing a damaged wing structure instead of just gluing the gear rails back in. You could use Polycrylic if you want to glass it if you don't want to fool with epoxys. If you have limited experience with that visit TomPierce.net, Tom did a good bit of testing on the Polycrylic finish on his own planes. A lot of people use it exclusively now, me included. +1 on the .5 ounce cloth as well. You'll only add a few ounces to the entire airframe if your careful with your paint application. I'm confident that if you can fly your 4 Star well, the P47 isn't going to give you any problems, it's an excellent flier. The TopFlite kits go together very well and the written instructions are excellent, I think you'll enjoy it greatly.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:52 PM
gthrone

show me one time where a gear rail broke away and didn't carry a bunch of balsa with it, especially on an ARF
Old 02-16-2010, 04:57 PM
P-40 DRIVER

A Four Star is a very forgiving airplane to mistakes. If you say you can fly a Four Star does not mean much. Can you take it off smoothly straight down the run way. Can you land it on the center line doing a power on approach with constant rate decent to touch down that is smooth and controlled consistantly? Can you compensate for wind without alot of issues. If yes, then okay, but if your just giving the go and yanking it off the ground and landing is a power off and hope you land on the runway somewhere in one piece, then no. Hanger Nine P-47,less to cry about, when it goes splat. The less stuff you put in the plane, the better it will fly and the less it will cost. Magnum 120 puts out about same power as a saito 100, Saito 100 is more then enough power for that plane assuming you don't build a brick.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:29 PM
rc34074

The top flite p47 is a great flying warbird. It was my 2nd warbird after the Midwest mustang 60 size, which was a sport mustang. The top flite p47 is almost impossible to stall - mine would not tip stall. it has a fabulous wing design. It was easy to land but it did need some room to slow down - I would go to idle on the g90 at the downwind turn which would be maybe 2-300 yards downwind of the end of the runway and by the time I would finish that turn the plane would be 6-700 yards downwind or more. it would easily penetrate to land on the runway with no added engine power. This is with a 5-10 mph wind and no flaps.

If you want to save money the Spring Air retracts would be great retracts but not as scale looking as some with wire struts not oleos.

The cowl makes a big difference in how much it penetrates the wind- with the cowl off it slows down a lot faster.

Keep in mind that I am going by memory from 15-18 years ago from the last time I flew this plane on this but I'm not that far off.

Ed
Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: davidgeorge212

do you already have this p-47 kit? I plan on building this same kit but I orderd it from tower hobbies in January. They still have it listed as coming back in stock mid february which is right about now.

Not yet. Itll propably be a few weeks before I order it. I still have to finish my BUSA Eindecker 90.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:28 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: bigtim

ORIGINAL: GaryHarris

Thank you very much in advance. I know I asked some questions that may seem common, or ''old hat'' for most here, but for a new guy just getting into Warbirds, it's pretty hard to gather all this info for just one plane since I can't find a single build thread on the Top Flight Gold Edition P-47 .60
RCU wont charge you anything

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_48...tm.htm#4868696 not exactly a build thread but lots of information
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...tm.htm#2856415 some mods good read

search is easy once you learn how, heres a bunch of threads.

now to your questions, the CJ retracts can be had for a little over 200 from tower if you join there club, they will send you discount codes for 60$ off of 300$ purchased if you chose to buy from tower.

I have them in mine, they work fine,if you go with robart get the better ones made from metal, the plastic gear are really not robust enough,for this plane, if you check www.towerhobbies.com there will be recomended degree retracts for this plane,as well as the instructions included in the model, that can be downloaded from tower as well, if you chose robarts there about the same price as the CJ's if you buy the robostruts.

standard servos work fine for this model, I used a HD servo for my retractable tail wheel pull/pull and coupled rudder but standard is fine, glassing can be done resonably inexpensively by using water based polyurathane, that another subject all together, my plane was about 800$ mabee a bit more, to build and finish
Thanks for the links. I have some reading to do. lol
Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: P-40 DRIVER

A Four Star is a very forgiving airplane to mistakes. If you say you can fly a Four Star does not mean much. Can you take it off smoothly straight down the run way. Can you land it on the center line doing a power on approach with constant rate decent to touch down that is smooth and controlled consistantly? Can you compensate for wind without alot of issues. If yes, then okay, but if your just giving the go and yanking it off the ground and landing is a power off and hope you land on the runway somewhere in one piece, then no. Hanger Nine P-47,less to cry about, when it goes splat. The less stuff you put in the plane, the better it will fly and the less it will cost. Magnum 120 puts out about same power as a saito 100, Saito 100 is more then enough power for that plane assuming you don't build a brick.

Good question. With the 4*60 I could fly it very well. Greased every landing, rolls, whatever. But with my 4*40, it's a little bit of a handfull, especially since I increased the controll surfaces and it's been so windy here lately. But Ill get better with time. Speaking of time, itll probably be 6-8 months before I finish the P-47 and will have plenty more stick time before then.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:14 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary I went with the OS 120 4stroke mainly for balance.
I built mine with a retractable tail wheel and it was glassed like the Tom Pierce tutorial, the magnum engines are basicly a OS clone, my 120 pulls like a mule with a 15-6, 3 blade, I did need a couple of oz of lead in the nose also
Old 02-16-2010, 10:23 PM
ltbear7

Hi, I would definately go with fiberglass covering........rivets,cockpit details,raised panel lines....here's my TF 85" P-47
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52272.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1380742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51129.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	1380743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42410.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1380744  
Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 AM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

You want the 85 deg retracts for this plane. If your on a budget get the 701RS units. The other choice is the Robart 531 or 551 or the Century Jet retracts. The 701 and the century retracts comes with the air kit and the others don't. Don't forget to get the offset struts.

Go ahead and fiberglass the whole plane. Its not that hard. The TF p-47 has solid control surfaces so you don't need to worry about fabric covering. Just use 3/4oz cloth and either west or Zap finishing resin not regular epoxy. Just wet out the cloth and scrape off as much as you can with an old credit card. Don't let it pool anywhere.

The Saito 100 will fly the plane just fine. You might need a bit of nose weight but if you already have the engine. I fly my TF AT-6 with a magnum 91FS and it flys fine at 10 1/2 lbs. You don't need 30% nitro fuel either to fly this plane Saitos run just fine on 15%. The P-47 is one of the easiest of the TF warbirds to fly so you should be able to handle it. It will take awhile to build the plane so keep practicing on the 4star.

While your buying stuff plan on getting a fiberglass cowl. The ABS junk with the kit won't hold up long.

The 645s are overkill but use one on the elevator.

The biggest mod people are doing to the kit is moving the gear to the scale location but that involves moving the wing spars and alot of work. Everything else would be minor scale touches.

BTW Tower is out of the P-47 kits until late Feb.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.