Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

American Eagle B-24 Liberator build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

American Eagle B-24 Liberator build

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:47 AM
helirocket
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: American Eagle B-24 Liberator build

Hi, I purchased the American Eagle B-24 as well.
I am having difficulties getting all the parts from them.
I have emailed and called Quality Fiberglass several times and get no responce.
Was wondering if you had similar issues dealing with them?

~Rocket
Old 12-10-2011, 09:01 AM
dragonbuilder

Hery Ben, did your kit come with the J model nose too?
Old 12-10-2011, 09:53 PM
ben.roper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, even though this is my second kit from them, I still had a hard time, both times, getting all the parts from them. It took several months (around 4 months) before I got everything.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:00 PM
ben.roper

In answer to the J-model nose: I requested an extra turrent from American Eagle so I could add it to the front of the plane. During the war, there were two types of turrets mounted on the front of the B-24s. The one I used is the same as the tail turret which is the first model turret(I can't remember the name of it). The second model of turrents has a flat front on it and it was put on the J models. The plane I did is still a B-24D model. This plane was the one my wife's Grandpa flew and he told me during the war in Hawaii they tore off the front glass windows and put tail turrents on the front. They started making these standard on the D models.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 AM
dragonbuilder

Hi Ben,I'm doing a B-24 and would like a copy of your fowler hinge plans if possible.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 AM
dragonbuilder

Hi Ben,I'm doing a B-24 and would like a copy of your fowler hinge plans if possible.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:40 AM
ben.roper

62dave37, are you doing an American Eagle B-24? The fowler hinges I drew up in AutoCAD were for the 1/10th scale (but still turned out a little too large). I can send you my CAD drawings but depending on what kit you're doing, I would suggest drawing them up to match the scale of your plane. I posted a few drawings already plus you can download the pdf example from Robart's website. Let me know if you have any more questions about them.

To everyone following this post: I'm in line to graduate this April. I've already started cleaning up my man cave (airplane room) to get ready for the B-24.The buildshould go quickly. I'm sorry I took so long with this. It'll be worth it. I'm going to go all out on this B-24 and put as much scale items in it as possible (even the bomb doors will be correct).
Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 AM
dragonbuilder

Yes Ben,I'm doing an American Eagle B-24.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:13 PM
dragonbuilder

Ben, Are you still building? I am and I must say that out of all the planes I have built, this by FAR is the worst mess I ever had to deal with. I see now why there aren't any out there flying. If this outfit is still around(American Eagle or Quality Fiberglass or whatever they call themselves)stay away and stick build a B 24,it would be quicker. $600 for a little bit of fiberglass and foam. Buyer beware! Dave, a very dis-satisfied customer.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 AM
ben.roper

Sorry, it's been a long time since I've gotten back to this post. I'm working on the B24 again and its coming along fast (faster). Yes, I have to agree with dragonbuilder in the previous post. However, since I have the kit already, I'm trying to make the best of it and use it. If anyone is stuck with this kit and needs help, let me know. This is my second one I've built from them. Okay, now back to the build. I'm in the process of sheeting the tail foam pieces so I can glue the fuselage together. The wings are all done and attached to the front half of the fuselage. I haven't fiberglassed them yet because I'm waiting till I have everything built out. I also made my own turbo superchargers. I didn't want to spend the money to buy some. These ones I made are not perfect but they'll do nicely. I'll take some more pictures soon and get them posted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	755
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1977913   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	765
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	1977914   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	738
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	1977915  
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 AM
dragonbuilder

Hi Ben, Very nice superchargers. Would you be interested in selling a set?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:28 AM
ben.roper

I wouldn't mind sending you a set of the superchargers but they're really easy to make. I didn't put much detail in mine and they're not the greatest but they'll work. Just go to Hobby-Lobby and buy the jar of silicon mold making stuff. It comes in a kit. It was less than $30. I went to Walmart and bought some clay to make the supercharger, then I baked it. I build a box around it and poured in the silicon. Once it dried, I had my mold. I then used epoxy and chopped up cloth to paste insite. When the epoxy cured, out popped a charger. I've got to fill in the bubble holes in and use filler to make them fit flush to the necelle but it'll work. I'll post pictures of them when they're painted.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Veltro

Right before the economy tanked, WIngspan Models was gearing up to produce a B-24 in both 1/6 and 1/9, like their B-17. They were fairly far along in the design process and were beginning to take pre-orders. They ultimately had to put the project on hold because no one was spending. I believe they needed eight firm orders to proceed.

If enough people are interested, perhaps it's time to see if Wingspan can be encouraged to restart the project.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:45 PM
ben.roper

If I were going to do a B24 again (which I am), I would do the Don Smith B24 or the Dan Palmer B24. I would say the Don Smith B24 is the best one out there. My friends Mike and Herman built one and it looks great and flies wonderfully. The Windspan models B17 isn't my favorite. It's construction isn't great and I don't like how the wings connect to the fuselage. I assume the B24 by Wingspan models would be very similar to its B17, so if the choice were mine, I would choose the Don Smith B24. My next B24 will be the Dan Palmer B24 because I want to do the 14' wingspan.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:54 PM
ben.roper

Here is one of the engine cowls. I've sprayed the primer on it and sanded it off. I'm going to now put 1/64" chart tape on it for the panel lines. I'll spray 4 to 5 coats of primer and then peal off the chart tape. I'll then do the glue drops for the rivets and then the final coat of paint will go on.

Here are the rudders cut out of foam. There is still more shaping that needs to be done before I sheet them with the balsa wood. It won't take too long to do the tail section.

This is the leading edge of the rudders. I soaked the balsa strips in water and taped them around these forms. These strips will be the leading edge of the rudders.

Here is a picture of the wings attached to the front half of the fuselage. It's 11 feet from wing tip to wing tip. It's nice to have them attached. I used four bolts on the inside to hold them flush. The wings will come off for transport.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl.JPG
Views:	736
Size:	553.3 KB
ID:	1978579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudders 2.JPG
Views:	715
Size:	457.4 KB
ID:	1978580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudders.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	1978581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wingspan.JPG
Views:	778
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	1978582  
Old 03-19-2014, 05:25 AM
dragonbuilder

Thanks Ben, I'll try that.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:19 PM
piperjon

Hello Ben,

Gee a nice build there mate. The B-24D is my favourite plane. I built a Jack Staffard ( Not sure if that is the right spelling). The main problem I had was buying the kit from USA and had to cut the foam wings in half. Because they could not ship by USPS. Also some of the timber had to be cut as well. But I Built it with the verco 19s that jack used in his B-24D. I just did the build the same as what to said to do and had no problems at all. The biggest problem then was the 27mg we used in Australia. and I crashed it first flight because a learner turned on his radio and down it came. I did start to build again and this time with scale under cart. That Jack had drawn up and put a mag. I was lucky as one of my friends seen it. and let me know. But my work took over and didn't finish the build. That was round the 70's I think. I did start in the 60's. Now back into it again. but no room where I live now to build a big B-24 for sure. But you never know hay.
Cheers
john
Old 09-05-2018, 07:55 AM
ben.roper

Default Sorry for the long wait

It took me forever to finish it because life gets in the way but it's done and I love it. Here's the YouTube link of its maiden flight. I plan to bring it to bomberfield in a couple weeks.
https://youtu.be/Y1acazfwQoM
Old 09-05-2018, 07:59 AM
ben.roper

Default Pictures

Old 09-23-2022, 02:03 PM
1qaz

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Hello Ben,
I don't know if you'll ever see this post but I wanted to try. I have a question for you, where did you balance you B-24? I have a sheet of paper that came with the kit and it says 5" back from the LE at the root of the wing. Is that correct. I'm almost ready for the first flight and 5" seems a bit far back but???
What did you model end up for weight? I'm at 27 lbs which puts the wing loading at 45oz/sq ft which is ok for something that big I guess.
Thanks. Larry B

Last edited by 1qaz; 09-23-2022 at 02:13 PM.