Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

ESM Storch Build...

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

ESM Storch Build...

Old 03-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Evil_Merlin
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM Storch Build...

First: The ESM instructions are junk. 100% total junk. Useless even. I wouldn't even bother trying to use them for the gear assembly. They are useless.
Second: None of the parts were tested for assembly before putting in the box. All of the metal parts required some type of filing, redrilling of holes, this includes having to make larger holes in the fuse to fit the gear properly.
Third: None of the wings were fitted to the fuse. The left wing is going to require about 1/4" shim to fit properly and hte right wing about the same (a little less).

I've already posted the images for the Storch, so I won't repeat them here.

Fuse is balsa and ply, covered with a plastic fabric and painted.

The gear is all wire and some turned aluminum, it is all pushed together and held down with some aluminum sloted bar stock and hex screws.

You can see the details here:

The gear is made of of three major pieces, a trapezoid 1/16" inch or so round stock, a similar size stock triangle and the larger main strut. Again, hex screws and aluminum channel hold it together.
Here is a shot of it mostly together

My first major problem popped up when trying to get the middle part of the strut together, two thin brass flat stock wrap around the trapezoid and then should be screwed down inside the fuse... except the fact that the piece of brass is WAY too short to even make it to the screw holes.

The blocks with the four hex screws in them are used to hold the gear strut out at the proper angle.

second major issue? While trying to make everything even when setting up what I could, a simple attempt to bend the light stock caused the weld to pull apart...

So much fo ESM quality...

Old 03-14-2010, 05:08 PM
ProScaleRc

Default RE: ESM Storch Build...

I thought as much. I really wanted one of these but held off incase there needed to be a 2nd version. Looks like that's the case; so I'll wait for a 2nd batch.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:41 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you think the gear will hold up once you finally get it together? I have one of these on the way too. I planned on keeping it for myself...

Ty
Old 03-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Evil_Merlin

Not the way it is designed. The two major load bearers are very light wire with REALLY crappy welds. I can see the first hard landing is going to bend the bottom support wire, and possibly force its way up further into the wooden (balsa) side of the fuse.

The next time I can see the welds ripping apart.

I'm going to wire wrap the wire that is shipped with the storch and silver solder it to give it a bit more strength. I'll have to cut new support plates from soft metal (I'll probably use aluminum vs. the brass it shipped with), and redo the main strut. Where the main strut "plugs" into the upper strut the large aluminum turned piece is only 1/8" into the stocket and I can easily see it popping out.

In all honesty, thats the only real issue I can find. The build quality of the balsa seems good, but I cannot see much of the firewall area due to it being completely covered.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:40 PM
fockewulf37

DO I need to get the gear installed before i can work on the interior?? Please show any fixes you do....

Ty
Old 03-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Evil_Merlin

Yeah the gear NEEDS to be in. Doing an interior for the Storch is going to be tough. They stuff so much crap in the fuse to support the wing and landing struts, I'm not sure what you are going to be able to do.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:10 PM
fockewulf37

Once it is all in does it look like it could be cover up? Do you have to remove anytting from the interior (struts,LG ) regularly?

I'll stop with the questions...

Ty
Old 03-14-2010, 10:53 PM
Evil_Merlin

I suppose so... once the gear is in it looks like it supposed to stay there...
Old 03-17-2010, 11:00 AM
aaflyer
My Feedback: (121)

The landing gear design has some serious flaw's, which need to be corrected. This will require some modification by the builder.

Al
Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Evil_Merlin

Oh fantastic Al, just what I wanted to hear.

This is what happens when I give an EXPENSIVE ARF a chance.

PM inbound, I want to hear your issues.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 PM
alanc

and so do i,
Old 03-17-2010, 12:24 PM
fockewulf37

Hey guys,
I guess I am not a purest on these planes. I am just happy someone is willing to make these unsual models in an ARF. I have been lucky enough to get my hands on all the new planes that have come out. The T-28 is by far the best, followed by the Hurricane and others. Yes The storch is more standoff scale I plan on keeping mine and flying it anyway. it should be a gentleflyer. I plan on adding things that will make it look a little better. I think with KMP comming out with thier line it will only make ESM try to make things even better. Not having documentation in hand I am not unhappy with the storch. I think it was a little over built but that is liability.

Ok, I just put my hard hat on so Go ahead :}

Ty
Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 PM
mikepress

I reveived my Storch on Monday and think it is one of my best planes. I have warbirds from Great Planes, Hanger 9, NitroPlanes, and Balsa USA. ESM did a great job and I plan on being a repeat customer! The landing gear is a bit complicated but the plane was designed as a STOL and not a fighter. I think it should hold up fine, and if I do have a rough landing or two then I will deal with it just like any other ARF I own. I have yet to see an ARF that has perfert landing gear. The manual is also a bit complicated and requires someone with some building experience to understand it. But on the other had try reading some of the manuals that come with NitroPlanes aircraft. The ESM Storch is far better in quality and design then the ETM Storch for the same money.

ESM has a winner with this one and they get my vote!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Evil_Merlin

Ty, its not being a purist really. I didn't buy it for scale... I bought it because it was a Storch and rather cool and I just don't have the time to build something else.

However the lack of quality, especially when you get to the gear is readily apparent. Its also clear that no QA was done. ALL of the holes in the aluminum struts needed to be drilled out again, and I'm going to have to remake almost all of the wire struts. I cannot speak for Al but I'm very concened about the strength of the gear itself, and the fact that I'm going to be doing a lot of refitting just to get it built.

Honestly the wood construction so far looks fantastic, and as Ty said, probably a bit over built. Its frustrating to be held back by one of the most important part of this bird.

I'm going to try to email Tomas again.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Evil_Merlin

Does anyone have pictures of the Storch with the gear together? Especially the brass plate that is mounted inside the fuse...
Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 PM
fockewulf37

Ok,
I just mounted one side of the gear. The brass pieces they supply are about 7/8" too short. Luckly i have some brass the same size. I was able to fold the brass in the center and then crimp it so it looks like a replacement part for the original. I slid it onto the ori brace and moved it into place. I marked the new piece and drilled holes in the new brass. Once this was doen the rest of the gear went together pretty easy. I do feel that the gear is sprung too hard. I will attempt to take the strut apart and get rid of some of the spring. If ya'll want i'll post a video on how i did this.....

Ty
Old 03-17-2010, 04:33 PM
aaflyer

Can I see a pic of "Strut B" as it is attached per the instructions.? A side shot looking at the Fuse.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have made some mods to the gear lower arm mounting and have them installed and will post pics later tonight for those who are interested . I also am not thrilled with the lower arms but i will give them a chance . I have sent a email to Tomas at VQ reguarding some of my other concerns and I am waiting for his response .
Old 03-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Evil_Merlin

Yeah I emailed Tomas too and have yet to hear from him.

I'll pick up some brass this weekend. I don't have any in stock.

Ty, what thickness brass did you use?

CK1, any images would be great. You can see mine above, in the OP. I've stopped working on the fuse, and started in on the wings. They are VERY well built, straight as rails and sturdy. I failed to realize just how big the wing was... and how narrow it is...
Old 03-17-2010, 05:14 PM
fockewulf37

I used the excact same size brass that came with the kit just longer. I am on the way out the door and would have to look up the size later. The only concern I have about the piece that is strapped onto the fuse side is how much load is placed on the sid eof the fuse. I may put a reenforcement piece inside the fuse.

Ty
Old 03-17-2010, 05:21 PM
CK1

OK here are the pics I promised . Fire away , I can take it !!!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Evil_Merlin

LOoks like you cut apart the wire for the middle support on the strut wire?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:49 PM
CK1

Yes I did cut that ugly, non scale, minimaly structural, wire . The arms now fit better , move better, look better. The side load stress will be carried by the brass strap and the wheel collar. The twist load on the brass plate may be a little higher now , but I dont think it will be an issue greater than the survivability of the gear itself.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:15 PM
aaflyer

Thanks for the pics, I am did mine earlier today, exactly as you did yours.

Al
Old 03-17-2010, 07:37 PM
fockewulf37

Chris Where you able to use the existing straps or did you have to make you own.??

Don't froget to leave room for a cockpit. I'll have some pic's in about a week....

Ty

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.